• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Legends Meet and Greet Chat Log

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The problem with a lot of pets these days is that MOBs are now designed to thwart the average sampire... Pets don't even compare to a sampire or any player using specials and EoO and such... THAT is the problem with pets. So training a pet up to more slots really isn't what is needed. You lose something... What they need is to not be so drastically nerfed the second you tame them in the first place... and for them to be able to have jewelery or some such to give them things like we have. Like being able to use something on your pet to help it target demons, or Elementals... etc...
It would be nice if pets could maybe equip an item such as a collar or a saddle. That item could have a Slayer property on it, allowing the pet to have good damage in pvm.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be nice if pets could maybe equip an item such as a collar or a saddle. That item could have a Slayer property on it, allowing the pet to have good damage in pvm.
That's funny, the idea was brought up before, except the devs want to "level" pets up instead of something like that...

You know, items such as your collar or saddle, would only make the pets deal more damage (via Slayer Bonus) and/or could increase resistances as well even.
Which would make the pet take additional damage if you fight an opposing slayer npc type to what your pet is currently using.

It wouldn't effect pvp almost at all, which would then require less additional re-balancing that would normally follow any major updates.
I guess the devs like doing things the hard way...

I knew it looked familiar Here

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to hear they are finally close (TM) to getting this done...we've been asking for it for six or more years, now.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sheesh people, can't some animals in the game stay just that. Animals, not fighting machines. =/
Who says that can't be both, I've killed Drakes with a ferret..

Extra Thoughts
I do see a problem with this system though what about 2 slot pack instinct animals. You train them up to a 3-4-5 slot and you'll hit a point where you can no longer make use of the pack bonus.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't understand the training up of any 2 slot either. I never heard anyone ask for that. What I HAVE heard asked for, is to make the grand old pets, the WW and the Nightmare, worth having and using again.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Fire Steed, especially, is interesting to me because it should represent the very best of what a tamer can do for a mount (given the difficulty in finding it and in taming it) yet it also has a pack instinct you would lose at 4-5 slot...so that's kind of tricky.

What I hope they'll do is make a tiered system that does not only up base stats but also considers additional abilities. For example, a modern Fire Steed ought to have Fire Eater or something specific to its type. Ideally, there should be a reason to up a 2-slot to a 3-slot and keep it there for pack bonus versus having a 4-slot or 5-slot for tougher battles.

The introduction of slot upgrades (for lack of a better phrase at the moment) would also be a perfect opportunity to revamp worthless pets like the Skree, and maybe consider--one more time--to give us back silver steeds! Maybe they could be 40% physical 40% cold 20% energy as a counterpart to nightmares. But then silver steeds are a bit tricky, took, since Paladins ought to have their own mounts, but eh :p.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@G.v.P

if your account is active and you want it, ive had G.v.P whispering rose in a box for a few years.
icq 442212126

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna: all pets 2 slots and up
Mesanna: will be trainable to a 5 slot pet
The base resistance on dragons are still by far better then any animal out there.

I can pick up a cave troll with 2000 hit points if I only need a sponge and i get to say, "they have a cave troll"

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The base resistance on dragons are still by far better then any animal out there.

I can pick up a cave troll with 2000 hit points if I only need a sponge and i get to say, "they have a cave troll"
I assume raising resists will be part of the new pet training process. Would be pointless otherwise.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
... Related to one of the questions I asked there, and something I can't quite believe that happened.
Stygian Abyss is finally available at the Brazil Origin store! Hooray!
For the low, low price of 25 USD...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I assume raising resists will be part of the new pet training process. Would be pointless otherwise.
My gut feeling is that you're assuming wrong. Different hit points and resists would be the catch to separate pets. The idea sounds good but I'm just not holding my breath.

Here's a 20 second thought on how I would do a pet revamp. Put all tamables located in different facet locations. Ones in Tram/Fel would cast magery. Ones in Umbra/Luna would cast necromancy instead of magery. Ones in Termur would cast mysticism. Ones in Tokuno would have Ninja/Bushido abilities. Each pet would have a chance at dealing different elemental damage. Each one would have a random roll on what their specials would be.

Boom, pet revamp that not only makes sense but would cause people to make more tamers and possibly open more accounts to have the different pets they could use in different situations. Another upside is using some of the empty wasteland that is 90% of modern day UO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My gut feeling is that you're assuming wrong. Different hit points and resists would be the catch to separate pets. The idea sounds good but I'm just not holding my breath.
If HP/Resists aren't changeable then the revamp would be pointless.

Boom, pet revamp that not only makes sense but would cause people to make more tamers and possibly open more accounts to have the different pets they could use in different situations. Another upside is using some of the empty wasteland that is 90% of modern day UO.
I think pets should just be fully customizable. Each follower slot ups the caps on stats/resists and you then set where you want the stats and resists and train accordingly. Add in a choice of special moves, item property like stats (slayers, area damages, etc), perhaps colors, and done. Should be able to level up any creature to 5, excluding any that would be problematic like birds.

I'd prefer a robust breeding system with stats and traits breeding, but that will never happen, so just go for the easiest solution which would just be customizable via gump pets.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think it would be a boost to the economy and such if we could use Power Scrolls on pets... Giving them the chance to go to 120 in skills...

Adding in bracelets and such for pets that are imbuable. So you can give them FC/FCR SDI and other things.
But that would only help if you could tell what they have. Many skills pets have are hidden. Also it would be good to be able to give them bonus resists... If you pet is already good in many resists but say take a WW is weak to fire you could give them armor with high fire resist...

As I previously said in another thread some pets would not benefit from becoming 5 slot... take pets who have pack instinct... what good would it do to have ONE frenzied ostard when they work better as a pack??? Why have a 5 slot Fire Steed? And what real benefit is there to raising a Reptalon one level? I mean a total crap pet raised is still crap ... skree too. I could see a boura maybe being more of a tank at level 5 .... but that's about it. But you can't ride them... don't know why either.