• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lag difference since patch when in built up area? / mobs / players casting?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you've ever seen my videos you can see on Europa I do not lag too much even in despise with quite a few on the Island, but since the patch landed im finding it unbearable. I've checked my ping, its fine, i've check no background programmes are sapping it, its fine, it seems to just be the client. Anyone else having the same problem? Classic Client only.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There does appear to be a noticeable difference in lag as of the publish, UO-Assist & default Classic Client.

It probably has something to do with the changes made to game-play screen size, even if you haven't changed it from prior settings.
I haven't changed my screen size since the update... but did notice a slight but consistent delay/lag that normally wasn't there for me.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Oh boy, this will be fun if it is the case. I already suffer from lag due to 250 MS ping.
I will be able to check how bad it is tomorrow while doing turtle spawn.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I ping roughly 80 to Atl from California. I never had issues in chokes etc, but as of recently it has been unbareable. Thinking back it has been since the TC changes started taking place...

@Bleak

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you've ever seen my videos you can see on Europa I do not lag too much even in despise with quite a few on the Island, but since the patch landed im finding it unbearable. I've checked my ping, its fine, i've check no background programmes are sapping it, its fine, it seems to just be the client. Anyone else having the same problem? Classic Client only.
Have you increased your screen size through the new patch settings? If yes, then there's your problem. I had the same happen and once I swapped back to the old style size it was fine again.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I always have issues when there is pub to be published/test center. once pub goes thr it usually gets fixed. the other guy sure seems to cast well lol

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It probably has something to do with the changes made to game-play screen size, even if you haven't changed it from prior settings.
I haven't changed my screen size since the update... but did notice a slight but consistent delay/lag that normally wasn't there for me.
Personally I'd guess that the increased display radius from 18 to 24 tiles is the culprit.
-> higher network traffic, since more is happening
-> more stuff to draw and calculate for the client

And I doubt that display radius is anyhow connected to game window size. The server most probably doesn't know, who is using which game window size and sends all the activity within a 24 tile radius to the client regardless of window size.
So it would make sense, that screen size doesn't affect the increased lag at all (or maybe just it just has a minor effect on it, if you are running UO on a slower machine).

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Nope, using the same size window as before. @Bleak
Weird then, it defo wasn't a slow machine issue with me like the OP said because I'm using an Area 51 PC - kind of like using a Ferrari to tow a caravan. Maybe PRO hide/stalking you with a stutter script to slow you down and get a chance to actually kill you for once :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Fun times. I thought it was bad last weekend.
This weekend was way worse. The position desync bug on the EC was happening almost every time there was more than 5 monsters on the screen. Every time I was at least two tiles away from where the client was showing me.
Closing the paper doll and opening it back is now an integral part of combat for me. I guess I will have to try to add it to my attack macros...

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without trawling back through my videos to find me storming the island at some point to make a direct comparison, I can assure you it was nothing like this

Example before patch -

And video i made last night to demonstrate, a bit of an island Kamikaze to show how bad it is -

I got a new computer a year ago because my old 8 year old PC was dying a death in big fights, now this is what im enduring. :(

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Without trawling back through my videos to find me storming the island at some point to make a direct comparison, I can assure you it was nothing like this

Example before patch -

And video i made last night to demonstrate, a bit of an island Kamikaze to show how bad it is -

I got a new computer a year ago because my old 8 year old PC was dying a death in big fights, now this is what im enduring. :(
My PC is new too and this last video showed exactly the same type of "slowdown" lag that I had yesterday on Despise island at Atlantic shard!
I had a friend there complaining about lag too, I thought maybe it was a shard issue... hehe, now I know it's global

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(not a task bar in sight) This is confirmed on the island on despise. We also all noticed this. But what was stange was the Europa event in trammel shame, it was packed full of people, but no lag at all. I'm not sure what is so special about the island. Mick was complaining about it and then I experienced it and what was interesting was you could even see other people lagging to death.

After reviewing some of my own footage, it's not doing it all the time.

Last edited:

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OBS allows me to pick which screens are recorded so you get the maximum viewing pleasure of the client, any intelligent person will note, UOAssist Spellwords and normal fields, unless you want to see my UOCartographer and whatever Chrome tabs i may have open dropped to taskbar?

Theres definitely an issue with the Island but it isn't just the island, it appears to be other places too. [Behind Yew bank at the choke]

Also, I asked the people in the video im fighting if they was experiencing this and they all said no, a mix of Classic and Enhanced users, it doesn't appear to do it on the island if you're on it alone, its when theres multiple players and casting, you can see them all move about and cast fine, yet im slowed down, skipping and its unresponsive

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you get your backpack that colour with weird straps on too?

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

Example before patch -

Hell ya, that bottom vid is exactly what it's like for me. Really annoying tbh. Side question, are you the original Nadir?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I'd guess that the increased display radius from 18 to 24 tiles is the culprit.
-> higher network traffic, since more is happening
-> more stuff to draw and calculate for the client

And I doubt that display radius is anyhow connected to game window size. The server most probably doesn't know, who is using which game window size and sends all the activity within a 24 tile radius to the client regardless of window size.
So it would make sense, that screen size doesn't affect the increased lag at all (or maybe just it just has a minor effect on it, if you are running UO on a slower machine).
Yea, that is what I meant, I know there was something else changed with the same update... (I was tired when I posted =X)
Though I haven't experienced lag anywhere near as bad as it appears to be in the OP's video, I have not gone through despise since the latest update either... makes me wonder if that's the only place it becomes that bad... there have been similar things happen with despise island, or even the dungeons sub-server in the past.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That looked more like graphical lag than anything. I would Open up your task manager and pay attention to the load of the client. You are exactly right that it should NOT be your computer at fault, but something in the client might be overloading it like the login screen causing 40% Cpu use on an i7 processor.

I've noticed very subtle changes in the game like not being able to step onto stairs from the sides, bouncing back from tiles that I used to not even be able to attempt to walk on, nothing major, but things that should not of been effected in the last patch.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
That looked more like graphical lag than anything. I would Open up your task manager and pay attention to the load of the client. You are exactly right that it should NOT be your computer at fault, but something in the client might be overloading it like the login screen causing 40% Cpu use on an i7 processor.

I've noticed very subtle changes in the game like not being able to step onto stairs from the sides, bouncing back from tiles that I used to not even be able to attempt to walk on, nothing major, but things that should not of been effected in the last patch.
My comp was hitting 87% earlier today just running on the island, no fields or players. Then once I got to the handicap to run out I was back to normal. I have 1gb up/down and use wtfast. Not sure why things would have changed for me, but the definitely did.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its definitely something to do with traffic. I was getting this same type of lag last night on Atlantic in Hythloth during a harrower, which was way worse than normal, even using wtfast.

I think by increasing the range they've caused some problems. In 2017 we shouldn't be experiencing lag like this on a game with such low system reqs, especially in CC.

I want to confirm - I have Virgin Media broadband, 220meg down, 12up.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's not the cheats, i have seen it happening and i don't use cheats, but it's not been doing it today.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its definitely something to do with traffic. I was getting this same type of lag last night on Atlantic in Hythloth during a harrower, which was way worse than normal, even using wtfast.

I think by increasing the range they've caused some problems. In 2017 we shouldn't be experiencing lag like this on a game with such low system reqs, especially in CC.
You ever truly considered just sticking to some other game with less issues each and each time "new content" gets added? .. just asking for a friend ..

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

---video----
I can confirm that its a new problem and it need to be fixed.

Im one of the people in that last movie and the way it lags is exactly like me.
I never used to lag like this, as you can see in the movie of nadir even spell animations lag (see supernova animation i.e,
he can barely move inside the island.

Ive seen this multiple times over several days, with or without pvp, whole screen with animations lags down.
I havent noticed it anywhere else than Despise though! (yes I got new pc a month go etc, its fast enough)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Maybe because it's not a patcher, it's a web routing service online gamers use to decrease their ping times by reducing the number of hops their data has to be routed through.
Well that's good to know.

Guess I can download away then?

Edit: Guess I can't, says I need windows 7 or better.

Time to upgrade I guess.

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Despise dial-up shuffle. The closer you get to the island, the further back in dial up speed time you go.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Not happening to me or some of my members, maybe re-install the client and see if that helps.

I do crash when I log in sometimes and I know its not the PC as its super high end, so its something ingame.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I lag real bad on cc, and just a decent amount on the ec after this last ballyhoo of a patch. New puter that worked fine before. I use it only for uo.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I randomly get this bug also on the despise island. In my case it had nothing to do with casting. I got it when picking up gold and once while fighting the champ solo. Other times I don't get this bug at all.

The other day I got the same bug at an idoc by the water north of Yew. I could narrow it down to an area about 4x4 tiles size where when I stepped on it I would move in slow motion just like you did in your video. No idea what caused it...

Dai43

Visitor
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
My husband and I have been fighting terrible lag all week, to the point we just give up and log off, we have checked all our connections, computers, and router so it has to be the game. Hoping they fix it soon. I cant even count the death robes acquired due to this issue :-(

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My husband and I are exactly the same, really bad lag for a week or so, ping is still low and our connection is generally over 200 Mbps. It is often borderline unplayable but seems to come and go all the time. Other people having problems where are you playing from? We are in the UK, playing on Europa.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My husband and I are exactly the same, really bad lag for a week or so, ping is still low and our connection is generally over 200 Mbps. It is often borderline unplayable but seems to come and go all the time. Other people having problems where are you playing from? We are in the UK, playing on Europa.
UK, Europa, 220mbps Virgin media

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh now that is quite the coincidence, we are also on Virgin Media! The weird thing is that my husband is sat 3 feet away and he rarely has the same lag I am getting. :confused:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We did a traceroute and the problem seems to be the hop after Virginmedia, somewhere between Oxford and Dublin, which doesn't really narrow it down much! No idea what could even be done to fix that, it doesn't actually give a name for that part of the route. :(