• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

La Computadora?

• Thread starter Crazy Fireball
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Crazy Fireball

That topic names probally wrong - lol... anyway

Me and my mom made a bet that if i dont fail out of the 9th grade - she would get me a computer. I Need your help though, because i need a computer that's fast- has alot of RAM and alot of space - and that dosnt suck (cough dell). I Dont want a dell because my familys computer is a year old and Dell - and it fails eplicly.

If you guys can help me out - please do!

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy Gateway (says the Iowan in me)!

Um, unless I can find a REALLY good deal, I usually just build them myself. Or buy parts and upgrade what I have. Other than "Buy Gateway!", I got nuffin.

C

Crazy Fireball

Buy Gateway (says the Iowan in me)!

Um, unless I can find a REALLY good deal, I usually just build them myself. Or buy parts and upgrade what I have. Other than "Buy Gateway!", I got nuffin.
My mom has that for her work - we love it!

Would a Macbook or apple be good?

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would a Macbook or apple be good?
See now me and Josh are going to tell you, oh yes! Since you are in school, you've probably used an Apple before? They are more expensive, but I'd just have to say, oh yes!

As far as PC, I'd go along with Gateway. I've had an HP and rarely have problems with it. Are you looking laptop or desktop?

C

Crazy Fireball

See now me and Josh are going to tell you, oh yes! Since you are in school, you've probably used an Apple before? They are more expensive, but I'd just have to say, oh yes!

As far as PC, I'd go along with Gateway. I've had an HP and rarely have problems with it. Are you looking laptop or desktop?
My school = Crappy and old and Crappy and run down = No money = computers that take 5 hours to turn on = no computer use lol.

Anyway - my grandmother has a Apple.
I'd probally get a lappytop - or a desktop.. idk.. whatever one costs less and that has alot of ram and can do alot.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could probably get a desktop cheaper, and will be more upgradeable down the line. I'd stick with a PC though, if you are into gaming and such. I'd just go to Gateway.com or any of the manufacturers websites and build one or look at predesigned configurations to get an idea at pricing.

C

Crazy Fireball

You could probably get a desktop cheaper, and will be more upgradeable down the line. I'd stick with a PC though, if you are into gaming and such. I'd just go to Gateway.com or any of the manufacturers websites and build one or look at predesigned configurations to get an idea at pricing.
Is apple good for gaming?

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is apple good for gaming?
It is, but a lot of games aren't made for Mac. They have to be Mac compatible to play them on an Apple. Unless of course you buy a license for Windows (around $200) and you can run Windows on it as well. That's probably going a little in deep, but a PC is your best bet if you are into gaming.

C

Crazy Fireball

It is, but a lot of games aren't made for Mac. They have to be Mac compatible to play them on an Apple. Unless of course you buy a license for Windows (around $200) and you can run Windows on it as well. That's probably going a little in deep, but a PC is your best bet if you are into gaming.
Should i get a normal one or one of those insaine 4 grand ones?

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if your mom wants to spend $4,000, well then sure..haha But no, something with at least 4GB of RAM and a nice hard drive should be good for you. The prices have come down though in recent years, so you can get a fairly good machine for less $$.

C

Crazy Fireball

Well if your mom wants to spend $4,000, well then sure..haha But no, something with at least 4GB of RAM and a nice hard drive should be good for you. The prices have come down though in recent years, so you can get a fairly good machine for less $$.
Okay - now i just gota get good grades - thats the hard part LOL.

L

loadexfa

I'm gonna second what Elga said with a few more details. First, for gaming don't bother with a laptop unless you actually need a laptop. Actually that goes in general, not only for gaming. Portability is fun but they cost more and are much slower for the money. Laptop components are, for the most part, slower and less power-consuming versions of what they put in desktops. This tends to be true for the motherboard, processor, ram and hard drive. While you can get a powerful laptop which isn't as slow as I mentioned, most of the time you'll have to pay a large premium and it won't come close to the speed of a desktop for the same money.

Where gaming is concerned I 1/2 agree with Elga. It really depends on the games you're going to be playing. Because you can run Windows on your Mac nowadays, the operating system isn't the issue. The issue is graphics upgradability. Do you need a BEAST system with SLI or Crossfire? If so, then you have to do a PC and I agree with Trish, building your own system can be fun and educational. The drawback is if/when something goes wrong you need to replace that component rather than take the system in for warrenty repair like you can do with Apple, Dell, etc (not promoting Dell, no offense to anyone but most brands, including Dell, strike me as overpriced junk).

So, are you going to be playing Fallout3, Oblivion, F.E.A.R. 2? (BTW, if you are into RPG's you MUST get Mass Effect). If so, having a computer where you can set everything to MAX while still maintaining a high FPS is rather fun. I don't know if you read the thread about Sadie's laptop but I still stand behind everything I said there. My PC gaming system is my secondary computer. I tried making it my primary.... and the lost productivity wasn't worth it. Obviously the stability issue is less essential for a 9th grader than the primary income-generator of a family (my computer dies and so does our income!). I don't mean that in an offensive way, just that you have some flexibility. I went through my share of crappy computers in high school and college and learned a LOT about how to fix software and hardware issues on PC's.

If you are willing to put up with a higher headache ratio and are interested in learning more about computers (and possibly spending way too much money on graphics cards!), I would go with a PC. It still provides the best gaming experience. Also, PC computers tend to be much more upgradable over time. Even with the Mac Pro you can't just pop in a new processor when the mood strikes you, though I have done that a number of times on my PC systems. And the iMac and mini... those computers actually laugh at you when you use the word upgrade.

If you want something easy that just works and don't need to set your games to MAX graphics settings then go with a Mac. Another benefit of a Mac, if you have any interest in having an internet-related career, Macs have a lot of standard Unix tools built in which are very useful to learn. Whether you want to be a programmer, server admin or graphic designer, being familiar with Unix is very helpful in the job market. With a PC you have to install Linux/BSD and the user experience will vary drastically per distribution and your skill level. With a Mac you get the Unix goodies with a stable and easy to use system, best of both worlds in my opinion.

Josh

C

Crazy Fireball

You lost me at "THE"

Im not a computer guy = im like a wheel of cheese driving a car.

L

loadexfa

Okay - now i just gota get good grades - thats the hard part LOL.
Step 1, play less video games. ;) I always had a hard time with that step.

Josh

You lost me at "THE"

Im not a computer guy = im like a wheel of cheese driving a car.
Hmm, OK, I do want to be helpful so let me try this a different way.

1. Do you have an actual need for a laptop (other than the fact they are cool)? If the answer is no, don't get one.
2. What games do you play or plan on playing?
3. How important is the computer's long term stability?
4. Do you want to learn more about computers or just use it as a tool? Either option is fine of course but the answer to that question helps determine how you should proceed.

Answer those questions and I can elaborate from there. :)

Josh

C

Crazy Fireball

Hmm, OK, I do want to be helpful so let me try this a different way.

1. Do you have an actual need for a laptop (other than the fact they are cool)? If the answer is no, don't get one.
2. What games do you play or plan on playing?
3. How important is the computer's long term stability?
4. Do you want to learn more about computers or just use it as a tool? Either option is fine of course but the answer to that question helps determine how you should proceed.

Answer those questions and I can elaborate from there. :)

Josh
1. No - lol
2. Toontown, Pirates, sometimes random online games in arcades
3. My mom probalyl wont get me another - so at least 3 - 5 years
4. just for games :p

S

Sally Bumblefoot

Josh, EVERYONE needs a laptop. Hard to play TT in a recliner on a PC!!:lick:

L

loadexfa

OK, then I recommend the most expensive iMac your mom is willing to buy. :) Unless she really wants to go nuts and get you a Mac Pro (if she's willing, why not?!) All of the games you listed don't need Windows. If you change your mind later and want to play Windows games, you can install Windows using Boot Camp (you'd need to pay for Windows).

Also, before buying any Mac, check here to see where Apple is in their release cycle:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I don't want to be too repetitive but in my experience Mac almost always does better for reliability in hardware and software, especially over a period of time like you're talking about.

Just as an example, I bought a very expensive and beastly PC a little over a year ago. I specified every component that went into the machine to optimize it for speed and reliability. All the brands I picked are known to be good in that way. And.... that machine is a piece of crap. A $3600 piece of crap to be specific. I have replaced most of the hardware under warranty and it's still rather iffy. Even the case can't do it's job in keeping everything cool. This is a case made by COOLERMASTER (yeah, that's the company name) with 6 HUGE case fans installed. Seriously, I did everything right and the machine is still crap. Add the windows idiosycrancies (is that spelled right?) and it's just not worth all the time it takes to make the damn thing do what you want.

Obviously my case is extreme but with a Mac, even if the hardware was crap like mine, you just go to an Apple store and let them deal with it. To get good customer service in the PC world you need to buy something like Dell which tends to use cheap components. If you build for good components like I did, you end up with massive headaches when things go wrong.

I hope that helps.

Josh

Josh, EVERYONE needs a laptop. Hard to play TT in a recliner on a PC!!:lick:
<sigh>....
It's much cheaper to get a nice computer chair that reclines than to get a laptop which will be slower and more expensive than a similar desktop. (Sally B is dangerous, don't listen to her. I know from personal experience!!!)

:coco:

Josh

S

Sally Bumblefoot

<sigh>....
It's much cheaper to get a nice computer chair that reclines than to get a laptop which will be slower and more expensive than a similar desktop. (Sally B is dangerous, don't listen to her. I know from personal experience!!!)

:coco:

Josh
Tell me Mr. Smarty Pants, how do you put your feet up under a computer desk???? My computer chair leans back all right but my feet dont go up!! But my problem COULD be solved with the tv my hubby came home with. I could hook up a PC to it and get a long keyboard cord (or wireless but I've heard they cause a lot of problems while playing). I will let you talk him into that one!!! He will listen to you so be convincing!!!:thumbup1:

Oh, do I need to remind you of your 3 point plan for ruining Sally B's life?? LOL (and he says I'M dangerous!!!)

L

loadexfa

My desk has legroom underneath it (seriously). Will continue to call you crazy. And my plan for ruining your life is going well so far.

Josh

C

Crazy Fireball

lol you two!

ty for the help josh - now is the fun part - getting the grades :(

james64468

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best computer for toontown is at least 1 Gb of ram and i recommend a 256 or 512 mb for Video. Without a good video card your computer will lag. The most important thing is get a good cpu above at least 2.10 ghz. I dont like gateway or dells or brand names. I would recommend not buying gateway. I have heard of their computer crashing in one year not being able to startup.

L

loadexfa

The best computer for toontown is at least 1 Gb of ram and i recommend a 256 or 512 mb for Video. Without a good video card your computer will lag. The most important thing is get a good cpu above at least 2.10 ghz. I dont like gateway or dells or brand names. I would recommend not buying gateway. I have heard of their computer crashing in one year not being able to startup.
I'm gonna disagree a little here. Any current computer (not used) will have a video card that is more than enough for toontown, even those with shared memory (common for laptops). Where 3D graphics are concerned, toontown is rather wimpy. Not saying that as a criticism, just the game doesn't need all the bells and whistles and I feel Disney made the right choice in being true to what the game is supposed to be rather than giving it more "sexy" graphics.

Crappy graphics can cause slowdown but you'd need to have REALLY crappy graphics for that. I do agree that any computer should have 1GB minimum RAM but that's also a standard minimum these days.

What you said about Gateway could happen with any brand. In reality it's quite possible the internal components for ANY computer would be very similar. There aren't that many parts manufacturers and none of the brand names (Dell, Gateway, Apple, HP, etc) manufacture their own parts.

Josh

S

SSniffleslam

Just my little input here, but since the economy is in the toilet, everything has gotten cheaper. I got a new desktop PC with my tax refund for less than 1000 - Here's some specs:

7 GB Ram
AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core Processor
640 GB HD
Nvidia graphics card (256 MB)

yada, yada, yada

HP brand btw - and it works wonderfully.

I love Macs too, but I can't make myself shell out that much cash at once. Especially since I upgrade every couple of years anyway.

On another note, for PC's, I'm an HP loyalist. The eight-year-old one currently sitting in the corner of the room, still boots up, gets on the internet, and will run TT!! (It's just a wee bit slow) The only complaint I've ever had with HP is when calling tech support, you're likely to get someone from India - which I have nothing against at all - but sometimes it's kinda hard to understand them.

C

Crazy Fireball

okay - she said she isnt going higher than 4 grand for a computer - HA thats only the GREAT ones!

Now i just need to keep up the grades!