• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kotl City Pros and cons

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pro's
People are back to play.
Turn in rewards are nice.
Puzzle Level is fun.
(i'm sure there are more. Feel free to add)

Con's
Spawn rate for the ants is horrible.
Core price are too expensive
We don't get to choose who fights the ants and lizard men after paying 800k plus
(i'm sure there is more. Feel free to add)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can get the cores for free from the regal chests, they're just rare.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That's the issue I had yesterday. Some people just afk'd in the spawn area waiting for someone to finish the puzzles and start the spawn.

I spent 1.6 mil for other people to kill spawn....not so bad but then I get attitudes and foul language in Gen Chat...not fun.

I enjoy doing it with my guild and a select few who are not in my guild, but when I go pop Despise I really don't mind other people joining in because all I spent was Valor...here 800k is a lot for some of us and a thank you would be nice :)

Have yet to do it after the WW Pub but the spawn rate was ridiculously low last night.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Pros and Cons:

Pros:
New spawn rate is decent
Rewards are decent
NPC turn-in guy will res you
Spawn time (one hour) is decent
Puzzles (for me anyways) are fun

Cons:
Need more than six hidden chests down there
The Cores are expensive (100k each and you need eight each time)
Wish the spawn area was bigger
And again, 800k for lazy, hidden players just waiting for you to pay up to start the spawn?

All in all, the event is fun and I will pay to start the spawn a few times on a few shards, but damned if I'm paying every time!

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pro's
People are back to play.
Turn in rewards are nice.
Puzzle Level is fun.
(i'm sure there are more. Feel free to add)

Con's
Spawn rate for the ants is horrible.
Core price are too expensive
We don't get to choose who fights the ants and lizard men after paying 800k plus
(i'm sure there is more. Feel free to add)

You forgot the biggest Pro : Watching you get zapped by levers

Also Con : the message lasting 40 sec when you fail. (even though at this point it doesn't take either of us 10 min to do puzzle anymore)

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
3 of us did the Kotl War and found the spawn rate to be a huge improvement since going world wide.
Unlike test and Origin, where we ran around like crazy trying to find stuff to kill.
Now, there was more than enough creatures for us 3 to kill, we could just hang in one spot and kill repeatedly.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pros:
Something to do.
Fleshed out Eodon more.
New craftables at reasonable prices.

Cons:
Not enough spawn for a populated shard. (without the plaza on, there's virtually nothing there)
Not enough spawn in the plaza even when its turned on.
6 regal chests are no where near enough.
The Ignis need to spawn less often.
Once everyone has the recipes + a few mats, popularity will plummet.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pros:
Something to do.
Fleshed out Eodon more.
New craftables at reasonable prices.

Cons:
Not enough spawn for a populated shard. (without the plaza on, there's virtually nothing there)
There is a vendor on Atl with 3 recipes, 6 banners and one other thing just from today so that is at least 150+ points in at the time was 6-7 hours after the shard came up. I think that proves that there is plenty of spawn even on Atl.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is a vendor on Atl with 3 recipes, 6 banners and one other thing just from today so that is at least 150+ points in at the time was 6-7 hours after the shard came up. I think that proves that there is plenty of spawn even on Atl.
My guess is this person had Doom Turn in's lying about..... or points from it... so don't really think it's true.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the leftover points from the doom artifacts guy transferred to this new one - I have 2900 - so as you can see, it's not that they farmed that many points - they already had them

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It is possible to farm that many. We did it 3 times yesterday and I got 23 drops and my guildie got 37, drop rate is definitely good! :)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah I dont get that...they overthink and overcomplicate everything now
Seriously.

Calling it now: Withers and dies before the next publish hits, @Kyronix and pals remain deeply surprised that making everything super complicated and annoying somehow isn't causing us to want to grind it forever. Ends up as forgotten as the Myrmidex crap from the last publish.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seriously.

Calling it now: Withers and dies before the next publish hits, @Kyronix and pals remain deeply surprised that making everything super complicated and annoying somehow isn't causing us to want to grind it forever. Ends up as forgotten as the Myrmidex crap from the last publish.
I haven't bothered with any of the new stuff... listening to everyone else complain about the grind and such has left me with ZERO desire to opt in. Pretty much only log in to do the EM Event on GLs and log out anymore. Sad really.... used to love UO. But anymore I find it grindy and irritating. The squabbling over haves and have nots and the Greed that has taken over the game has pretty much sucked all the "fun" out of it for me.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Same here, except I still do old the stuff like treasure chests, merchant ships, resources in abyss, filling BODs, imbuing, raising skills, Scalis net tosses, etc. No interest in the weird puzzles and games of the new content.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's not a grind....as with everything, if you do it a few times it becomes automatic....like shadowguard....when that first came out everyone had issues with it and now we do it several times a day easy as pie.

Yes, I admit the levers have me stumped lol, but the rest is easy...and cost wise? Use Honesty ;) That 20% discount helps a LOT!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Same here, except I still do old the stuff like treasure chests, merchant ships, resources in abyss, filling BODs, imbuing, raising skills, Scalis net tosses, etc. No interest in the weird puzzles and games of the new content.
Nope quit doing all that too because it generates stuff I have no place for.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't bothered with any of the new stuff... listening to everyone else complain about the grind and such has left me with ZERO desire to opt in.
Same here. The only thing I do in the new expansion is shadowguard. I almost did the quest to get the moonstone crystal teleporter but I couldn't be bothered so just got one from vendor search.

I wish they would fix and work on old issues rather than pumping out all this new stuff.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Rather hoped the feelings would pass soon and I could get back to loving UO and enjoying it... but that hasn't happened in Months now. Every new publish I keep hoping to rekindle the fire... but I think that most all the embers have gone. I just haven't swept out the firebox yet.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for spending the money. Because on df Pub 94 was not activated, i checked Atlantic.
Got two times ressed, and had participated in two runs. Until 0 o'clock utc+2.
Got 35 Drops and 2 heads in about 3 hours.
Had really fun doing it.
So Thanks a second time whoever helped us there.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The developers would be wise, after tweaking the area, to continue to add new recipes. I like the idea of a purpose to now out-dated Doom artifacts.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
On Sonoma I was looking when they pop the war, so stood at one corner killing stuff got two drops, since it was late I left to go to bed. But thanks to who ever spent the 800k to start the war.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My experience:

Lever puzzle: 2 or 3 people randomly pulling levers and healing until the door pops.

Floor puzzle: If you bounce off a tile and take damage trying to cross, try another. Does this really qualify as a puzzle? I mean it's not like you can fail other than by mindlessly plowing into a damage tile until you die.

Main event: Someone else paid for the cores I guess. Mindlessly kill virtually harmless mobs. Bored by fourth drop. Leave after tenth with event still ongoing.

Can we seriously PLEASE just have some new items in the Doom Gauntlet?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we seriously PLEASE just have some new items in the Doom Gauntlet?
Agreed. I don't really understand why they spend ages adding all this new stuff when they could simply update old content for the time being. I don't think all this new stuff is really going to attract new players is it? They should work on the "new player experience" if anything.

As for the new quests and whatever I won't bother. I will just buy the items I need from vendor search like I did with the last quest thing that was added and that was only the crystal moonstone.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some of you are acting like these are difficult puzzles followed by and endless grind. WRONG!

The switch puzzle: Start at the west switch and continue down the line. If you get zapped, heal and keep going. There is one random switch that insta kills (kills me at least). Big deal, res up and keep going. If you see the red words, you start over. It's far from hard to do.

Go in the room just south of the switch puzzle and click to start the time turner.

Head over to the where the blue stone wall was in the south/southeast front part of the dungeon. The wall should be gone now.

Floor puzzle: Not really a puzzle, it's just a matter of stepping on the correct circle to pass each line (there are 5 lines). Each incorrect circle will cause minor damage.

Once you pass these 5 lines go through the teleport square on that side. This will place you in the last part needed to start the spawn. Head to the large room just east of the teleport and you will find 8 tables with 2 boxes each. Place one power core (forget the correct name) in just ONE box per table for a total of eight. You will see a message that the battle has begun. There will be gate out of that room at the north side of the room.

The spawn will be on the large blue square area just west of where the switch puzzle is.

The spawn lasts one hour each time. The spawn rate is quite decent for any amount of people that I have done it with.

The power cores can be bought from the NPC at the Moonglow Lyceum or from hidden boxes down in the Kotl City area. Only skills "needed" are detect hidden and lockpicking.

Guys and Gals, go have fun!

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shorter version:

Go stand around the area where the spawn starts and wait. Let some other sucker screw with the puzzles and waste 800k getting it started. Grab up as many drops as you can before this dies off in a couple weeks.
I did it twice on atl yesterday, first time to get the glasses recipe & Black Moonstone Crystal thingy. I fooled around with it a bit on LS, but since I already knew (due to character copy) that my tamerhad 20 turn-ins, I just grabbed the two items & left after I checked out the back room for a bit.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do all the creatures down there drop turn-in arties (fire eles, lava lizards, automatons?) or only those you activate with paying the gold?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shorter version:

Go stand around the area where the spawn starts and wait. Let some other sucker screw with the puzzles and waste 800k getting it started. Grab up as many drops as you can before this dies off in a couple weeks.
You. Do. Not. Have. To. Spend. 800K.

I currently have 22 power cores on GL that I got FOR FREE in Kotlan. Yesterday, I used 8 of others to power the hologenerator. FOR FREE.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great!

@Mesanna @Kyronix : Thanks for this fantastic new encounter, I love it! just ignore the notorious negativists - Eodon is a BLAST so far. One of the best expansions ever. Hours and hours of fun without the classical grind-nonsense! Finest PVM-action with riddles, teamplay and various encounters. Me and my friends love it! The latest Kotl-Addon is just another fine example of how great our game still develops!

Last edited:

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This new content would benefit 100x if there was a sweet boss fight, with some nice loot, at the end of the spawn. As it is its just another boring grind fest which nobody will participate in once they have collected all the items they need... :/

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This new content would benefit 100x if there was a sweet boss fight, with some nice loot, at the end of the spawn. As it is its just another boring grind fest which nobody will participate in once they have collected all the items they need... :/
Speak for yourself. I'll most likely do the spawn up until it ends like I've done in the past at Doom.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I currently have 22 power cores on GL that I got FOR FREE in Kotlan. Yesterday, I used 8 of others to power the hologenerator. FOR FREE.
And you prolly spent more time collecting 8 free ones than you spent on the active floor once you turned it on.

Sorry but most people don't want to spend 3 hours lock picking the same 6 chests.

Would much rather see it changed to only needing 1 core to activate... ideally 1 core per character... So that everyone who wants to spawn on the active floor has to contribute something.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I admit the levers have me stumped lol, but the rest is easy...and cost wise? Use Honesty ;) That 20% discount helps a LOT!
I wouldn't recommend doing this. Last night I bought some cores, completely forgetting that I was on a character with maxed out Honesty. Honesty saved me about 200k but I lost ALL of my virtue dots, not just for the 3rd tier but all tiers. I won't be doing Honesty again until it is fixed.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Isn't that how it works? You buy something and you use Honesty? It's not THAT hard to raise....though I noticed that when I bought one core I lost 3 dots....not sure if that's how it's supposed to work...maybe not?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Nah it's fine, tons of stuff drops and it sells for enough that the price of cores won't matter for the forseeable future, even if I had to be the one to buy them for some reason. I'm gonna ride this into the ground for however long it lasts and make some gold. Still boring as hell though. Needs a boss, or at least mobs capable of casting. Not a boss that blows everyone up in one hit with a gimmick attack, not trash mobs with 40k health, just something.

Mechanically the Myrmidex war was way more interesting, and even possible to die at if you weren't careful. It just choked to death on sheer tedium and the developers fantasy that they were going to get people to form groups for a boss with 3 hours of crap as a prerequisite.

I just want the old Doom Gauntlet back. Bosses that can kill people but don't rely on unbreakable paralyzes or insta-kills, a key for entry that's straightforward to get and can be bought or sold, no trash mobs, no "look I'm a real game developer" makework, no bullcrap.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't that how it works? You buy something and you use Honesty? It's not THAT hard to raise....though I noticed that when I bought one core I lost 3 dots....not sure if that's how it's supposed to work...maybe not?
It's not hard in the challenging sense. But it is extremely dull and time-consuming, and the amount of time I put into searching for honesty items and then searching for their rightful owners was not worth the 200k I saved. Of all the virtues, honesty is the most disproportionately time-consuming to raise.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And you prolly spent more time collecting 8 free ones than you spent on the active floor once you turned it on.

Sorry but most people don't want to spend 3 hours lock picking the same 6 chests.

Would much rather see it changed to only needing 1 core to activate... ideally 1 core per character... So that everyone who wants to spawn on the active floor has to contribute something.
*shrugs* Kotlan was broken all yesterday on GL.

I have 29 cores now. I also got tons of gems, tons of gold, 15+ automaton heads, a full set of cards (plus many, many duplicates), and a full set of both sets of books (assuming The Great Work only has 4 volumes) (and again many duplicates). I've also gotten 9 kotl drops that way.

The point is the cores are a non issue.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*shrugs* Kotlan was broken all yesterday on GL.

I have 29 cores now. I also got tons of gems, tons of gold, 15+ automaton heads, a full set of cards (plus many, many duplicates), and a full set of both sets of books (assuming The Great Work only has 4 volumes) (and again many duplicates). I've also gotten 9 kotl drops that way.

The point is the cores are a non issue.
Cores aren't a non-issue. 800k is an absurd price to activate low level spawn content... and hours of locking picking 6 chests over and over as an alternative is equally asinine.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5 people in our team unlocked the main spawn in 15 min and afterwards we fought them for an hour until the "simulation" ended. Came home with 19 (!) Kotl-Drops. 19 in a bit more than 1 hour (only me, the other players not counted).

Seriously, you guys are doing something horribly wrong or have no idea of group-PVM.

The spawn is fast and the droprate excellent. Use area damage such as Wither or Nether Cyclone.

Enjoy! It's a blast!

Excellent design, Devs! Thank god, we get more and more content for groupplay and less for solo.