• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kind of upset

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got my stepson started playing tonight. I gave him an old account of mine. I made a few ground rules. He could use the one empty slot to make whatever kind of character he wanted and couldnt touch anything else until he got the feel of playing. I also gave him this website which really makes the game in my opinion. I told him he wasnt allowed to ask me any questions for one day.

I remembered my first few days of playing and the excitement of it all. The way people would help etc. Some of my best memories were staking my own claim in UO in those early days. The UO community has always been one of the biggest draws of the game to me.

I was surprised to see what was going on when he was trying to get the simplest of help. He did meet someone early on who gave him some decent started gear which was very cool. After this new found friend logged off, my son was asking in chat for help on where to go to work his swords skill. In return he had people telling him how wrong he was doing his skills etc., without even knowing what his secondary skills were. There was even one jackass trying to tell him to come to felucca.

I dont mean to over react but if this is the way Legends treats the average new person, we may as well close up shop now. All the kid wanted to do was find some crappy little new monster to fight. I will help him along of course but I didnt want to take the new experience away from him by throwing all kinds of gold to him etc. Im just asking people that may have watched this to step in next time, or at least think twice before spouting off a line of junk that will deter a new player from sticking around.

Sorry to sound so harsh about this. I just still love legends and want to see us have a future.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got my stepson started playing tonight. I gave him an old account of mine. I made a few ground rules. He could use the one empty slot to make whatever kind of character he wanted and couldnt touch anything else until he got the feel of playing. I also gave him this website which really makes the game in my opinion. I told him he wasnt allowed to ask me any questions for one day.
Why couldn't he ask you questions, if you don't mind my asking?

I remembered my first few days of playing and the excitement of it all. The way people would help etc. Some of my best memories were staking my own claim in UO in those early days. The UO community has always been one of the biggest draws of the game to me.
most veteran players agree the community is dead. It died the day they made trammel and removed the need for it. What's left is a hollow shell.

I was surprised to see what was going on when he was trying to get the simplest of help. He did meet someone early on who gave him some decent started gear which was very cool.
On any shard, you can go to luna bank and ask for stuff and usually get something pretty easy. It never fails. 1mill is very little to a vet but a lot to a newb. people recognize that and do give some charity.
After this new found friend logged off, my son was asking in chat for help on where to go to work his swords skill. In return he had people telling him how wrong he was doing his skills etc., without even knowing what his secondary skills were.
I'm somewhat confused with your thought here. He asked about how to train and received template criticism in response? It sounds like some folks may have been drinking.

There was even one jackass trying to tell him to come to felucca.
I fail to understand why that's a problem. I do nearly everything in felucca, many players do. Avoid a few trouble spots and it's usually a good idea for a new player seeking to establish themself.

I dont mean to over react but if this is the way Legends treats the average new person, we may as well close up shop now. All the kid wanted to do was find some crappy little new monster to fight.
I think there are some details you skipped because I'm not sure how you got from point a to point b.
I will help him along of course but I didnt want to take the new experience away from him by throwing all kinds of gold to him etc. Im just asking people that may have watched this to step in next time, or at least think twice before spouting off a line of junk that will deter a new player from sticking around.
Unfortunately, starting on legends was probably mistake 1. I find a lot of players here are insulated and full of bad information. There really only are like 4-5 good sources of information on the whole shard, though everyone likes to bloviate.

Sorry to sound so harsh about this. I just still love legends and want to see us have a future.
I think it'll just continue on as the farming shard it is.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hes more than welcome to make his own path in the game. I am now searching the shard for basic items that were plentiful a couple of years ago. I dont plan on paying 200k for a runebook of trammel cities.

Hes more than welcome to travel to felucca. The point is that this guy was gonna kill him the second he walked through the gate. I myself never saw fit to do the PvP thing as its not my cup of tea. Im sure he will want to try it some day but when you have 33 swordsmanship and know nothing of the game, getting advice from reds may not be the way to go. If you know someone that would actually train him from scratch there and not make his life miserable, please let me know and ill try and get them in touch.

As far as the trammel ending the game thing i dont know. It may have turned off many hard core players but the first I saw of UO was the release of AOS. I certainly am not ready to give up on the game as there is nothing else that remotely catches my interest. Except for eve which i played a long time, every game I play besides UO consists of killing stuff, leveling up, killing more stuff, leveling more, raiding for better gear, killing stuff, capped at level then game over until next expansion. I find UO allows me to play casually for a half hour, or take on a several hour project that ive planned.

Thanks for the input. I respect all of you guys that have been there and done that in this game for the long haul. I hope to keep you all around for years to come.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so sorry for what has happen to your stepson. Please tell him if he decides to come back to look up Jirel of Joiry (me) or my sister Luc of Legends. We will be happy to help him! Also tell him if he can't find us readily ask someone with a SoS guild tag they can always reach us. We can point him on the right path to train almost any skill. Hey, Luc ain't called Legendary Help Desk for nothing! :D

I apologize that we haven't been on as much, but we've been recovering from a computer crash. That left us with one computer so for the sake of keeping down arguements, no UO till second computer is up and running.

Please ignore Omnius everyone else does.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the note. Ill def be in touch. Hes enjoying his day. I got a little help from my guild mates with a few items then gave him some starter gold. I just want him to learn and enjoy learning the basics. Ill defiantly pass on the message. Thanks again

D

Dakotawinds

Sorry to hear he had such a bad time his first night in the game. Look me up and i will give him trammel cities and dungeons runebooks. And any other help i can be to him.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With so many xshard farmers flocking to Legends, I'm leery of dropping a million on a self-proclaimed "newbie" myself:( If you belong to a Guild, I am really surprised that you did not advise your guildmates of what you were doing. A Guild's sole purpose is to protect and provide for its members. I'm not ashamed to admit that I respond 10x faster to an ally/guild member's questions and certainly will respond to their pleas for help!

If you do not belong to a Guild - join one, one that also has an extended Alliance network. Legends is a very small community, and as a previous poster mentioned, often quite insular in nature, but more often than not, one can always count on a guildmate/ally.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With so many xshard farmers flocking to Legends, I'm leery of dropping a million on a self-proclaimed "newbie" myself:( If you belong to a Guild, I am really surprised that you did not advise your guildmates of what you were doing. A Guild's sole purpose is to protect and provide for its members. I'm not ashamed to admit that I respond 10x faster to an ally/guild member's questions and certainly will respond to their pleas for help!

If you do not belong to a Guild - join one, one that also has an extended Alliance network. Legends is a very small community, and as a previous poster mentioned, often quite insular in nature, but more often than not, one can always count on a guildmate/ally.
Actually i did. After the first few hours of playing. I wanted him to have a little time without me holding his hand. By the end of the nite i handed him a little gold and his runebooks etc provided by my guild. He had some lrc resist armor that the fellow gave him.

My complaint wasnt that nobody would give him anything, becuse he didnt ask or want anything. It was that when he asked for advice on where to go, that he got at best bad advice.

With that said, all is well now. Hes in his first guild. There doesnt seem to be anyone on in the evenings sometimes. We have had a couple of offers because of this thread for guilds that i recognize for helping newer players. My alliance also could take him but id rather help him out in private when needed.

I remember when i first joined and someone handed me a check for 5k lol.. now we talk about a mill... things sure have changed :) im a cheapo. i gave him 25k and showed him how to farm.. Hes worked his way to shame

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool! Glad to know he's on his way to Fame and Fortune!

Sadly, the General Chat "station" is mostly 24/7 spamming or juvenile PvPers bragging about how "Leet" they are, but in reality just showing everyone what a$$es they really are:)

Like many others, I often ignore - or if a particulary annoying spammer is on - I turn off the General chat, but can always hear Guild chat.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually i did. After the first few hours of playing. I wanted him to have a little time without me holding his hand. By the end of the nite i handed him a little gold and his runebooks etc provided by my guild. He had some lrc resist armor that the fellow gave him.

My complaint wasnt that nobody would give him anything, becuse he didnt ask or want anything. It was that when he asked for advice on where to go, that he got at best bad advice.

With that said, all is well now. Hes in his first guild. There doesnt seem to be anyone on in the evenings sometimes. We have had a couple of offers because of this thread for guilds that i recognize for helping newer players. My alliance also could take him but id rather help him out in private when needed.

I remember when i first joined and someone handed me a check for 5k lol.. now we talk about a mill... things sure have changed :) im a cheapo. i gave him 25k and showed him how to farm.. Hes worked his way to shame
Keep in mind, most players know so little about what is going on or the game in general that their advice will be bad but honest.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always tell new players to go to Despise.... least I used to, cause there would always be someone around there if they got into trouble (some days there's no healer outside and it can be a long run to find one) and there's nice easy lizardmen upstairs and the harder stuff down below. Haven't really seen a new player lately, I don't think.. shame..

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always tell new players to go to Despise.... least I used to, cause there would always be someone around there if they got into trouble (some days there's no healer outside and it can be a long run to find one) and there's nice easy lizardmen upstairs and the harder stuff down below. Haven't really seen a new player lately, I don't think.. shame..
Yeah thats where i sent him actually. After he graduated form the cemetary :) Hes now working shame. I tried telling him that its not usually so easy. The soul seeker i loaned him helped early on. Once he gets in the mid 70s ill look at getting him some jewelery and taking it up a notch.. thanks for all the posts and advice.

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry i was not on i would of helped him as for tram i love tram and dont care for fel and the spam of felians in chat drives me nuts. hate the new chat thing seems its turned into nothing but jack asses running off at the mouth. who thinks whos better.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry i was not on i would of helped him as for tram i love tram and dont care for fel and the spam of felians in chat drives me nuts. hate the new chat thing seems its turned into nothing but jack asses running off at the mouth. who thinks whos better.
I'm a die hard pvper, and even I hate chat. It has the potential to benifit the game, but kids use it to just cry. It's very annoying.

Caveat Emptor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if He was the Fella I tried to help, I gave a Guy standing by the Luna Gate a Check for a Milliion Gold and some armor.

Whoever it was, I tried to help.... I also mentioned something about a Sampire Template, that I heard was good for PVE... but I told him I really didnt know, cus I am a Tamer...

Point is Some of us do still try to help...

I really dont understand the whole Red Mentality, why the majority of them feel the need to smack talk and lure players and new players even to Fel to kill them so that they can brag, about killing some totally unprepared player...

Its Sad really, if your great at PVP thats awesome, its really hard to be a top notched killer, so I say be proud!! But ya dont have to be a rude jerk....

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That wasnt him but its nice that you attempted to help someone out. I helped get him into a decent guild. Hes coming along slowly but hes handicapped by a jack in the box laptop. I have it up and running again for the weekend. Id love to see him interested in PvP myself. Im not into it but it would be nice to have someone in the family that leaned in that direction. :)

silent death197831

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well if he does need help just hollor out for silent ill be glad to help him out if i am on with pvp or with pvm.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great thanks. Weekends will be his peak playing time for sure. Ive got the wife talked into another PC too. We will be sorted well soon.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your wife will let you buy another pc just to play UO? Gah, my wife wont even let me play.

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My stepson has issues in his life. I am trying to bond with him abit more. Its helped to have common ground like gaming. I think she likes this. When i first got married is when i dropped out of gaming. Things have changed now and she doesnt see it as near a threat to her time anymore.

Hopefully we can have a good time again on legends. It sure is barren now though. Id love for him to be able to get into vending etc. We are going to try and open basic consumable vendors with another friend of mine that just returned. Hopefully the teamwork we do here will help us elsewhere in life.