• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Killing Leviathan and mob...

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
can an archer do it? I usually use my tamer for it... but I do have an archer with an elemental and reptile slayer.. forget the name of it... it was Treasures of Tokuno bow... lol .. thanks for any replies

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're thinking of The Horselord.

But, theoretically, any combat template should be able to take out a normal leviathan and the associated spawn, if they can stay alive (I.E. get HP faster than the water balls from the leviathan and normal krakens drop your HP). Hit area might do better for the spawn, though, until you get spawn numbers down.

I personally do white nets with a mage/mystic/weaver, in stone form, with a RC cast, and hitting the pile of spawn with a chain lightning when it first pops (having a water ele slayer Scrappers, I eliminate all the water eles with the first shot - then, it's a matter of getting everything left to target the RC long enough to take out the serpents and krakens).

Of course, you also have to be prepared, in case Scalis shows up (assumes tosser is High Seas enabled)

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes the Horselord!! Thank you. Ive done with mystic template too... I just find the All guard me... invis then hide and watch your GD attack and wait till all mob targets him and its easy after that... the hard part is getting a ghost ship anchor or seahorse statuette drop! I haven't gotten one yet in all my years of fishing!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got lucky. I got my one anchor and one seahorse the first month they were in the game, and haven't seen one since (10 years or so). And, I just tossed 20 white nets less than 3 weeks ago (and got 5 scalis)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I didn't get them in 20 tosses with a 120 Fisher.... 5 of the tosses were Scalis (two people got a Scalis-specific drop), and of the other 15, I got a drop from 7 of them - all of them classic minor artifacts. I know that one or two other people got the old minors as well. No one got one of the leviathan-specific rare drops.

sos440

Adventurer
Aha, the culprit is that the artifacts mentioned in the note do not refer to those leviathan-specific drops. Now the whole business sounds much tougher to me. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Supposedly, the anchor and seahorse are supposed to be added to the list of possible minor artifact drops, along with a couple of equippable items that are net/T-map only, and then the drop is from that list.

However, as noted in many other conversations elsewhere on Stratics (and in this group, usually connected to ASOS probabilities when opening MIBs)m the UO RNG is prone to streaks at any point along its curve, making it appear to be more random in tests (which usually involve millions of samples) than it is in practice (shorter numbers, or looking at subsets of sequential samples). The fact we had 2 or 3 different nets out of 15 non-scalis nets produce Titan Leg Bones (short spear minor artifact) is indicative. Back in 2007, Draconi had discovered the problem and was working on a better RNG on his own time, but he was laid off post-KR before he could bring it in for testing.

The streaking can work in your favor - I've seen 20 nets tossed before with no Scalis. I've seen friends toss 5 nets and get two different nets drop anchors or seahorses.

But you're not only at the mercy of the RNG's randomness; you're at the mercy of what part of the curve it is favoring at the moment. One of my old Guildmasters had over half of his minor artifact drops in the first month of paragons as Arctic Death Dealers.