Killed by a Lich :(

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
P

Prudentis

I took a trip to Wind yesterday and without thinking much started "clearing" the way of what normally would be trash mobs. The Liche and Daemons roaming Wind's entrance didn't pose a threat back in the day but I haven't fought them for eight years.
Well, The first fight too one second. The Lich did away with my 102 HP in about a second.
I was like: WTF? Since when are Liches so deadly.
To recover my stuff I fetched a fresh Ki-Rin and went back inside. I killed the Liches but not without the Ki-Rin and myself healing him.
It was a 212 HP Ki-Rin and came close to dieing a few too many times for me to call it coincidence. What the heck happened? Even without pets and only korp poring I was able to kill Liches when my magery was in the 80s.
Are casting Mobs that hard to kill and survive nowadays???

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2003
Liches and Lich Lord are very nasty these days. The combo of them using Necromancy and Magery can drop someone very fast. When they use Corpse Skin and then Flamestrike you will see you health go fast when you not wearing armor with 70 fire resist. Strangle is another nasty spell they use. Even Blood Oath is something you need to watch for, every damage done too them is alse reflected back to you.

They very fast spellcasters too!

Welcome to the new word of nasty's!

G

Liches cast necro spells ... have for some time. You need a fast melee weapon (katana, kryss?), undead slayer mod ... and the ability to run REALLY fast. Chaining spells is not uncommon for them.

Seriously ... I commonly go to sacrifice fame at Cove cemetary. I've taken more dirtnaps to that one lich before sacrificing than I have ever done to anything else. The sucker is fast and deadly ...

And slight topic shift ... if you think THESE are bad, try a Super Dragon in Destard. Have lots of insurance.

P

Prudentis

<blockquote><hr>

And slight topic shift ... if you think THESE are bad, try a Super Dragon in Destard. Have lots of insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have ... never before have I died so many times in a row.

Looks like I really have to reconsider what I can take on by myself. I mean I can kill those things with a couple EVs but I can't kill them in a face to face mage duel

I was even able to kill Lich Lords before ... So I think that's not an option anymore, either.
Looks like I have to stick to killing lesser and greater Hiryus, since they do not cast.
I have some 50+ fire resist btw. so t's not like I went there totally unprotected.
Somehow it's a bit of a pitty, I don't feel mighty anymore

B

Bippodrop

Try getting a suit of armor with 70 Fire &amp; 70 Energy resist. That will help, as will Resist Spells, unless you dont want that skill. You will see improvement over a 50-ish versus a 70 resist Fire suit of armor. Also find an undead slayer weaon as mentioned, then try again. You'll see a big difference. If you are Chesapeake shard let me know and I'll hook you up with some items.

Good luck....

P

Prudentis

I have RS at 64 currently but will probably have to drop it for VET.
It desn't help against FS and other direct damage spells, so I thought I could get on without it.

The difference between 50 and 70 should be 20% more so it does make a difference but still I suspected to be hit for 20-30 damage and not over 100 in an instant.
A slayer book will not really help, if I die in the first few seconds of the fight.
They fall very fast to my EVs or pets so damage is not the problem on liches. I found it a bit odd, that I fared better against a WW than those liches. The WW teleported on top of me twice and did some bad damage, but I was still able to survive and run away to heal. The first time against the lich it was just as surprising as my first visit to destard

And when you count in, that liches hardly give any good loot or fame/karma, it becomes obvious, that they are unbalanced

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Necromancer-mage kinda monsters are terrible for a mage, we just can't cast THAT fast... But even Orc Mages (no necros) posed a serious threat to our returning friend halfway last year. He was baffled by their non-stop casting of 3 flame strikes, reveal, poison, poison again.
Basically as a mage we don't want to get targeted... And ever since AoS the resists are vital! We noticed the difference the very first day AoS went active, our beetle would easily take a bunch of lizardmen before that but suddenly went down in seconds. We still notice a huge difference between 50 and 70 resist.
Takes a while to get used to, but you'll be fine we're sure! And indeed it is a pity not to feel that mighty as you once did, but for building a tiny bit of selfconfidence, get a earth elemental slayer spellbook, get a few to follow you, and cast meteor strike: guaranteed feeling of mighty for a second. Until you realise it's only earth ellies...hehe

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2003
If you want to kill monsters for gold fast. I tell you , A Paladin or a Samurai warrior with a demon slayer weapon and kill demons. They will go down very fast!

I

imported_Farsight

Liches are deadly if you give them the chance to attack you. You know, necromancy and all. Necromancers kill things fast, even you.

But...

Liches have very few hit points, and you (assuming you did the scribe quest, if you didn't, GO DO IT) have an undead slayer spellbook. With about 90 EI, the hallowed spellbook you won from the scribe quest and the ability to flame strike, you can kill any lich with a single flame strike. Lich lords usually fall to a pair of combo's, making them fantastic things to hunt for gold, assuming you're a mage. Warriors have a more difficult time of it, but not much.

The tactics have changed, but the difficulty remains the same.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jul 16, 2003
Southeastern Kentucky
home.kih.net
I have a harder time with my mage than with a warrior.

Normal liches - Undead slayer (like the holy sword), using armor ignore, often is a 1-hit kill. Otherwise decent weapon damage (DI or just a high-damage weapon) that is an undead slayer can 1-hit (my smith can 1-hit liches about 50% of the time with his silver-etched mace, and Enemy of One &amp; Consecrate cast).

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 19, 2004
When I go to Wind,I am normally on my peacer. Peace/2 EV's ftw.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 19, 2004
<blockquote><hr>

Liches are deadly if you give them the chance to attack you. You know, necromancy and all. Necromancers kill things fast, even you.

But...

Liches have very few hit points, and you (assuming you did the scribe quest, if you didn't, GO DO IT) have an undead slayer spellbook. With about 90 EI, the hallowed spellbook you won from the scribe quest and the ability to flame strike, you can kill any lich with a single flame strike. Lich lords usually fall to a pair of combo's, making them fantastic things to hunt for gold, assuming you're a mage. Warriors have a more difficult time of it, but not much.

[/ QUOTE ]Sribe quest? What scribe quest?? I must have that undead slayer book!

P

Prudentis

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
No, actually I didn't know it

As I said, I am quite ignorant of the new changes, because I just have started playing again after eight years af absence.

<blockquote><hr>

But...

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I can see that. It was probably just my first OMG! thought that drove me to writing this post.
I will get the slayer book soon, no I haven't done any new player quests yet as all other rewards are kind of crappy for anyone but real new players.
Thanks for those tips anyway, I'll go kick some Lich and Lich Lord butt and get my revange

<blockquote><hr>

Sribe quest? What scribe quest?? I must have that undead slayer book!

[/ QUOTE ]
The new player quests introduced with KR (you don't need the client to do them)
Inscription Quest
Fastest way:
1. Be sure to make a new character with 49 inscription
2. Get the inscription quest
3. Get inscription to 50
4. Complete quest and receive reward, voila.

Slightly slower way if you don't have character slots left:
1. Get a character who can train inscription up to 50.
2. Go to New Haven and buy inscription (40 at the guildmaster)
3. Train inscription from 40-50
4. Complete quest and receive reward, voila.

Helpful: best trained up with a character with high mana and mana regen.