• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ki rin won't attack

Turbo

Adventurer
I have been experimenting with a ki rin and when it's around multiple things like in a champ spawn it won't automatically attack stuff like other pets do. Telling it to guard etc doesnt seem to work it just stands there like a punching bag most of the time until I manually tell it to kill each target. Rarely it will kill a couple thing then stop again. Does anyone else have this problem with them?

Could it have anything to do with them originally being blue and non hostile? If so it would be nice to get their ai changed to match a regular pet.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thought all pets behaved this way. For me anyway, have always had to tell them to kill things one by one as guard would rarely work.

All this time I thought that was normal.

Turbo

Adventurer
My cus and fire beetle run all over the screen chasing stuff. They seem to be more aggressive when surrounded and trained with an aoe ability too. Might have to test some more.

Cereal2K

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I noticed the same thing what usually gets my pet to just charge everything down on its own is going invis dismount then let something aggro on the pet without having guard up once the first target was engaged by the pet I go all stop all guard and everything goes smoothly, not 100% of the time but more reliable than any other method I found

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I find if a load of low damage mobs are attacking my pet it will just sit there taking hits and not responding, the moment one of them hits the pet with a higher damage hit like a cast lightning, the pet will then turn and kill that one.

Back before I worked out that tamers were no good for soloing spawns, I used to do rat spawns with my GD, it tended to just sit there doing nothing in the middle of a bunch of slimes and giant rats unless told to attack one, but once at level 2 of the spawn the dire wolves and rat man mostly did enough damage for it to kill them without being told.

The damage threshold for the pet to respond seems to be a % of its HPs rather than a set amount, so the more HPs the pet, the higher damage it needs to receive before it will respond.

Turbo

Adventurer
Thats an interesting idea. When i was testing the ki rin in a rat spawn it was on a tamer that doesnt have aoe ability so I was relying on the pet and I didnt stay long enough to get to the ratmen and wolves.

All my other pets that are fine in a spawn were used on a tamer that I use spellweaving to get past the slimes and rats and then use my pet for the next level and up. Ill test that and see if it works.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Pet aggro works the same as player aggro. Things like spells/breath/damage over time effects like strangle/bleed/poison will cause them to re-target on new monsters. Melee damage will not. Players can also use deliberate rubber banding themselves while moving (such as an open paperdoll macro - very useful for rounding up monsters at a spawn) and Teleport.

Monsters that are attacking but not being attacked will eventually re-aggro which is why pets will sometimes re-target on their own depending on timings of the thing they were killing dying.

Pro tip:
You can also save yourself a ton of bother having to target new monsters by making a macro for the pet to kill itself (that's kill and target itself, not hari kari), for whatever reason this will cause pets to attack anything that is meleeing them.

Turbo

Adventurer
After testing it more, it is far less likely to defend itself against stuff like rats and slimes so quite often just sits there and does nothing. Anything that does a bit more damage makes it go on the attack and clear the area.