• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keyloggers/Viruses/Spyware Say bye bye!

G

Just some info for you guys AOL is now free to subscribers as long as you keep your current isp or (Internet Service Provider).Simply connect to the internet like normal then open up the aol program and use it.Now you maybe asking your self why do i need this?Heres why with AOL you also get Free Antivirus Firewall Spyware/Adware Protection as well as the parental control blocker if you have kids just for using this service.The service is provided by Mcaffee Systems whick is a well known Antiviruse program.And best of all its not like these other sites that offer virus protection then scan your computer then you have to buy it to remove them.Its all absolutely free to use!So if ya dont have a virus scan you use try this i think youll find it very use full.To get it just visit www.AOL.com

K

kennykilleduo

Good idea , BUT , AOL in itself is a Virus...Trust me on this I worlk very close to AOL..

N

Nerf-Herder

AOL customer from 99-07. AOL removed from my computer for about seven months now, and I love it.

Goodbye you overpriced, undersupported by english-speaking employee, resource hog!

Hello REAL DSL that is over three times faster yet costs half as much!

G

Ok yall missed the point of my post you dont have to use aol. Just simply download it then dowload macaffee for the free Antiviruse spyware protection and continue using your noral browsers sorry didnt secify.

G

No I am pretty sure I didn't miss the point and I still think it sucks not bashing or anything but AOL is garbage and there is NO NEED to have it to have free antivirus and firewall and so on.

Ad-Aware spyware/malware remover FREE
Avira Antivirus, AVG Antivirus FREE
Windows firewall, Zone Alarm Firewall FREE

So why would I install AOL on my machine to "protect" it?

Sorry but you couldn't pay me money to install AOL, Yahoo, Apple, McAfee or Norton products on my computer...

G

That maybe the case but for those nprotected it would help personally ive been using maffee for years and ive visited tons of less than honorable sites with out any issues.

I

imported_xStrikerx

I run no antivirus and visit those "less than honorable" sites without any problems.

G

I took McAffe off my computer it's a huge systems bogger....... NOthing like totally bogging down your PC..... It's a virus as is AOL.... also..... best thing I ever did was get free stuff like Avast...... good virus protection.... Then I went out and got XoftSpySE..... wonderful program, Regcure is also free and great program as is SpyBot Search and Destroy, AVG..... most of them Free programs.... All of them better than nothing.

G

My personal biased opinion is in favor of Symantec's Technology, http://www.symantec.com (Norton's). This is because I have used Nortons and held active subscriptions with their updating service for just about as long as I have played Ultima Online. Second to that, would be ZoneAlarm's free Firewall and Trial AV Suite editions, http://www.zonealarm.com.

McAfee however, I've read a great deal of both positive and negative responses. There is even a large amount of negativities out there about Symantec as well. The things people must realize is that these two programs usually work best on their own with their own program components, not in conjunction with other companies' softwares. As well, different systems will perform differently with the past and present versions of the Softwares. This is true also with ZoneAlarm and basically any AV and Firewall company.

So, the only things one can really go on is by user feedback from users using similar or even the same systems as ones' self and mayhaps places like the Better Business Bureaus, http://www.bbb.org

As for my feedback. I've used Nortons for roughly 8-10 years off and on, mostly on and have never had any major problems that a re-installation or upgrade didn't resolve. ZoneAlarm I've used off and on for roughly 3 years total maybe. Generally have gotten great results from them however, there were versions that would not work with some games or do some really weird things that blocked Internet access incorrectly. And McAfee.. I personally have not have good results from them on my current System. However, my old PC used it well for a time and currently the 2nd PC in the house uses McAfee exclusively and is doing quite well. The third PC used a combination of ZoneAlarm free firewall and AVG Anti-Virus and has done so quite well for a while now with no real threats getting through.

I

imported_Spiritless

Frankly, there are already very formidable AV solutions out there which don't require any paid subscriptions and whatnot or messing around with AOL. Here are some of my personal recommendations:

<u>Anti Virus</u>

Avira
avast! Home Edition
AVG

<u>Firewalls</u>

ZoneAlarm

<u>Anti-Spyware</u>

Spybot: Search and Destroy
AdAware
Windows Defender

I'd personally steer clear of packages such as Norton, which is notoriously known for its intrusiveness and large amount of resources that it consumes. It's also very difficult to remove too as it writes all sorts of registry values everywhere and actually requires specific flush tools to rid a computer of it properly.

Of course, none of these tools are a substitute for sensible, and secure, behaviour while online. Many attacks are facilitated through some method of social engineering: phishing, for example, being the most common.

You may also like to take a look at the applications you use to interact with the internet as these facilitate your browsing and email reading. Because of this, these specifically are often the first things that are attacked. If you're using email programs such as Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Internet Explorer, these are known for their poor track record with security. You may do well to look at alternatives such as Mozilla Firefox as a web browser or Mozilla Thunderbird as an email client. Browser extensions such as NoScript for Firefox can also further enhance its security; remember that browsers like Firefox aren't immune to security issues too and also have had their exploit vectors in the past, many of which involved JavaScript or plugins in some way which is why things like NoScript can protect you from potentially undiscovered flaws in the browser in relation to these technologies.

Last and certainly not least, it can't really be emphasised enough how important it is to keep up with regular updates for your operating system as these fix potentially critical flaws in the underlying code which may expose you to exploits. Windows users can turn on Automatic Updates from within their control panel, or update manually at the Windows Update website. If, for whatever reason, you cannot access this or would like another method of obtaining updates there's also a 3rd party, unofficial site called Windiz Update that allows you to get patches for your OS. This requires the Firefox browser and the installation of a plugin to accomplish this, however.

Well, this post kinda turned into a generalized security advisement rather than only commenting on the OP's suggestion but I hope it serves to be useful to someone, somewhere. =^^=

Take care.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
--------------------

Just wondering where to get this - heard about it before -- and is it really that good?

G

<blockquote><hr>

--------------------

Just wondering where to get this - heard about it before -- and is it really that good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Found it by typing in http://www.avg.com/free - which redirects to: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/free/_/_/_ which is the free site for AVG.

It it a bit of work to find manually by searching their site, from what I recall every time I've had to download it for the oldest PC in use.