• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just Wondering

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Looking for a new game to play and was wondering how the game play is for UO? I played WoW for about 7 years but that has gotten deathly boring. Played a lot of other games as well. From RTS, FPS, RPG, etc

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not going to mention the graphics difference as i think that is obvious.
Crafting in UO can get very in depth (unlike wow)
Collecting is possible in UO because you have a house to display things (and a vast number of things to collect) - in wow about the only thing you could collect was pets and a few novelty items.
You can build a very simple template, or a very complex one in UO. The versatility that is non existant in a "class" style game is what keeps many UOers playing.
Gear goes out of date every few years rather than every few weeks / months.

Theres tons to do in UO, much more complex that wow.
Starting out is very hard. you will feel very poor. it will be very slow, the game takes off after you train your skills, build your character and gear him up.
There are some "quests" in UO, but its not a questing focused game.

Make a trial account and check it out. Atlantic is one of the only active shards now unfortuanntly. Honestly its pretty boring and your going to have no idea what to do at first but its a rewarding game once you get into it.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
And if you are up for a real challange and are looking for a comunity that helps...come to Siege Perilious. We are supposedly the "difficult shard" but we have more the feel of original UO.
Siege is open PVP. PVP in UO is based on speed of internet connection and ability to speed hack. WoW's PVP is far superior and PVP is the only reason to go Siege. If you don't want to be killed at will don't go Siege.

Boss fights in UO are also less fun. Be prepared to die at random and often. So often the res stone is right next to boss fights. Difficulty in UO is making a boss able to one shot you. Tamers have an advantage because they can hide behind Greater Dragon meat shields.

Oh, in UO you can tame dragons. And I don't mean like little pet dragons. I mean that huge dragon most players die too often can be your pet for you to command and fight with. And it doesn't lose size.

UO is great... Just keeping it real here. I love UO. It's my favorite game. It's "Sandbox" versus the more structured World of Warcraft.

The housing is a MAJOR perk of UO. And there is plenty of space/help on Chesapeake. You can even place a castle if you don't want an 18x18 house you can customize.

UO costs about $50 to get all of the expansions with 30 days of game time. And it has game changing cash shop.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Nonsense. The accusation that Siege is all speed hacking PvP is very "inaccurate". Many of the folks that tell you 'stories' of Siege do not play there. They are merely passing along rumors and conjecture. If ya want a safe game... play where ever ya like. If ya want interesting give us a shout on Siege.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I didn't say that it was "all" speed hacking. My claim is that you will always be at a disadvantage, but on Siege it's worse than any other Shard.

And the intent of what I was saying is that if you want PVP it's not good on UO. And it isn't.

Siege and any nostalgia for pre-Trammel is the nonsense.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking for a new game to play and was wondering how the game play is for UO? I played WoW for about 7 years but that has gotten deathly boring. Played a lot of other games as well. From RTS, FPS, RPG, etc

To combat boring.
Even if you had a 16 year vet standing over your shoulder. 3 years wouldn't be enough to covewr all that is UO.
The owning a house is a great aspect of UO. And now you can have a house on any standard shard and Siege.
Best question for new to UO or search to be done is what is the best starting 5 templates to start with.
Use General chat while in game to get a boost over the greater hurdles and tap intop a large pool of information. Why shard population is a preference.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Ray_Martin. I will refrain from calling your shard nonsense. I do know that Siege is growing and has a lot of excited new folk that are giving Siege a try with a new house. Many of these players are cursing them selves for not coming to Siege sooner... Just like I did ten years ago. Siege is not what you think it is. Then and now.

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
lol Sounds like a lot of debate about some parts of the game lol... But soon as I get my better internet connection I think I will give it a shot.

The reason I quit playing WoW is the fact that after clearing just about every raid from BC-MoP, having more than a dozen level capped characters and at the time nearly all BiS gear the game gets to be quite boring.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Dude. That quote clearly says PVP is based on speed of internet connection and ability to speed hack. I hardly said that's all Siege was. Don't argue in multiple threads badly. Busted for not knowing reading comprehension? I don't get why you're so ugly in two conversations over a difference in opinion.

And kelmo, I do think Siege is nonsense. I wouldn't call it out like that in polite conversation either, but you said my opinion was nonsense in one post, but in another act like you're above calling a Shard nonsense.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is the PvP better? I'd love to play that game..from someone who pretty much just pvps..and from seone who has played them all..I'd LOVE to know where u find a more open/strategic PvP game..

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ray_Martin. I will refrain from calling your shard nonsense. I do know that Siege is growing and has a lot of excited new folk that are giving Siege a try with a new house. Many of these players are cursing them selves for not coming to Siege sooner... Just like I did ten years ago. Siege is not what you think it is. Then and now.
Ahhh, you only came to Siege 10 years ago, now a lot of the things you've said over the past few years make more sense.

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
WoW is pretty good for PvP but the problem with it is the fact that it get's boring because the BG's just start to become a whine fest and tend to start to get really boring after about 50-60K honorable kills.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Your opinion is noted and dismissed. Go play your game.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Where is the PvP better? I'd love to play that game..from someone who pretty much just pvps..and from seone who has played them all..I'd LOVE to know where u find a more open/strategic PvP game..
I understand this is a UO forum, but if you honestly think UO is the epitome of PC PVP then anything I say isn't going to say you.

Ragnustus, join general chat on any relatively active shard and it's the same thing on UO. I think it's been officially stated just to use Help if you're not PVPing because it's where New Players are put and it doesn't have the PVP whiners.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WoW is pretty good for PvP but the problem with it is the fact that it get's boring because the BG's just start to become a whine fest and tend to start to get really boring after about 50-60K honorable kills.
The pvp in wow was pretty good (i played wow twice, vanilla into BC and then Lich king into Cata) I know over the years the classes sort of blanded out. The PVP structure of wow was well done, but thats why me and wow only lasted so long, too overstructured for me in all aspects.
For example, if i was fighting a hunter i knew exactly what combos i was going to do for the most part and how the fight would play out before it even started. same goes for 2s 3s and 5s. UO is alot more complicated because theres so many skill combinations.
Thats not to say you cant also make a cut and dry pvp template and be very effective (but you will probably not be revered for being "the best pvp archer in UO")

I cant say UO is the best game for pvp, (and yes there are cheaters, whiners, and most game play isnt very organized) What keeps it alive tho is what was/is the heart of the game. --- That you can figure out crazy templates and make them work for very advanced play. You can dream up alot of unique templates, make the gear work for them and get the most out of many skills.
Or simply go with a "basic" template, such as a mage, that in itself is a challenge to master.

The main attribute that WoW lacked was choices. Something theres never a shortage of in UO. From skills, to gear, to what you want to do with game time be it PVP, Kill bosses, craft armor, collect rares, decorate your house, cooking, fishing, treasure hunting, captain a ship, focus on Event Master events and storyline, theres always something. Its really impossible to do everything in the game, but its pretty easy to find something you like.

Last edited:

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO doesn't have murlocs.

You can create your own adventure like a game master if you want and lead others on a quest. You can go in the middle of a town and narrate your adventure after a visit to the dungeon Doom or the tattoo you got from your adventure at sea. You can be alone chopping tree lines in the woods and meet someone that you will be friends with for fifteen years from the other side of the world and talk to them as their children are born and grow to teenagers or beyond.

-Lorax

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has a lot of bugs, a lot of cheats, very few players compared to just a few years ago, a very small dev team that hardly ever listens to the p(l)ayer base, and computer graphics from 1997 (unless you play the enhance client which is the ugliest thing I have ever seen).

With that being said UO has taken 11 years of my life that I can't get back. The options are limitless. You can take once character and PvM for 1 hour, the next hour head to a PvP hot spot and fight or there are times where you have to PvP and PvM at the same time as a team. Although the AI needs a LOT of improvement the PvP aspect of the game is ever changing because people can constantly change their templates, suits, tactics, PvP area, and the list is endless.

*** Edit*** On a side note it is pathetic that the vocal minority turned this into a SP thread with in the first few posts. IF the SP players really cared about UO they wouldn't try to get brand new UO players to see SP with rose colored glasses. The fact that it takes 3 years(sarcasm incase anyone cant tell) to GM one skill would be enough to turn a new UO player off of UO forever and tell everyone he knows to never try UO.

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is a very open world. Unlike WoW, there really isn't any "end-game" here either. In my opinion, the fact that you can create a fisherman who can bake anything he wants and carry no combat skills, or a warrior that can use any weapon he/she wants speaks volumes about the range of variety in creating yourself a character. In fact, if you wish, you can drop skills in favor of another without having to create a new character. You can turn your fisherman/baker into a fisherman/mage.

Personally, the housing system is what really makes UO awesome. Placing and customizing your own house is one of my most favorite components about UO.

As it stands though, there are two type of shards. The normal ones (several) and Siege-type (Siege and Mugen). The difference between these shards is best explained here: http://www.uoguide.com/Siege_Perilous

In a nutshell. The non-Siege shards have PvP (or any action against another player) can only occur in the felucca facet and have the insurance system (which means you can insure your items so you can never lose them at death and they cannot be stolen). The down-side to this, is that if you PK another player, or play a thief, you will rarely get anything good off of them, other than the insurance they set on their items. In other words, Siege has the true element of risk and if you run around with a very expensive item, you'd better be good at PvP otherwise you might lose it to another player.

One final note: Don't expect a huge population here. There are few "populated" shards. The only one shard that I know of with a large population it Atlantic.

If you'd like more info, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Great point Shamus! There is a ton of bias in UO. And it's as established a community can get. I posted this same type of thread a few weeks ago on UHall and UHall doesn't have a rule against constructive bashing and opinions at the top.

In WoW (Which I loathe to play...) you will be treated like you don't matter, but so is everyone else and authoritative figures just stay out of the way. In UO (Which I love and think about a lot.) they regularly influence things and are very passive aggressive. I mean really? "Go play your game." coming from a moderator just for having a different opinion? LOL

When is the last time, as an adult, someone has talked to anyone like that around you in person? Ah... internets. "Senior" moderator too. LOL

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dude. That quote clearly says PVP is based on speed of internet connection and ability to speed hack. I hardly said that's all Siege was. Don't argue in multiple threads badly. Busted for not knowing reading comprehension? I don't get why you're so ugly in two conversations over a difference in opinion.

And kelmo, I do think Siege is nonsense. I wouldn't call it out like that in polite conversation either, but you said my opinion was nonsense in one post, but in another act like you're above calling a Shard nonsense.
Do you know what a PERIOD IS because I sure do. Maybe you should go back and relearn English. When you make remarks/ideas about UO that are untrue/dumb/lumping all players into one group then yes I have a right to my strong opinion. All PvPers DO NOT speed hack no matter what you think.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In regards to an "endgame" i would have to say it is Event Master events. These are nice, you wont find that level of personal involvement from gaming staff in most games. An Event master writes a storyline, and the event usually (not always) involves killing a very difficult monster or villain. Sometimes there is a very valuable drop (the most valuable drops in the game are for Decoration only now) They are very hard tho, but you get a drop based on top damage on healing. It would not be hard with an "organized" guild or small 2 - 5 person group to get a drop at every single event. but this is uncommon in UO.
Its also very possible to get a drop playing "solo" at these events.
Anyway the EM program is the closest thing i can think to compare in UO to any type of an "Endgame" Maybe major PVM bosses as well. But they are constant and really not all that hard. You can solo most if you have a very good suit and template, or can kill them with a small group faster and easier.

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

I think the person who said it best was Lord British (original game designer) when he said "In every other game out there you play a combatant with a secondary role, you can make something or gather things. That's not the case with Ultima Online. Here, you are whatever you want to be and there are no requirements that you be anything else."

UO is truly unique as a game. I suggest you buy up 3 months of the game and give it a try. Build up a character or six and see what you like doing. You aren't required to participate in PvP/PK at all (just stay out of Feluccia) and there are a lot of really great people out there who want to help build their communities. I do suggest, though, that you try out one of the lower population shards to play, something in your timezone, too. While Atlantic has everything for sale and it's easy to advance, there are tighter knit communities on the smaller shards.

Also, if you're west coast, Napa is the only real choice ;)

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Obvious UO bashing thread being moved. Continue the discussion here and keep it off UHall.

I apologize Shamus. I didn't mean for this to turn into a UO bashing thread. I also apologize for posting it in the wrong section.

I would like to thank you all for your opinions of the game. I will most likely give the game a shot and see if I can get the feel of it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Ragnustus, I am not sure you are aware that folks can place a house on Siege as well as one other shard per account. It is possible to play both rule sets as you wish. *tips hat*

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it very disturbing that this thread was moved to "Spiels and Rants"... Should have been at least UO off topic.
A person is interested in the game, the games draw for new players is limited and advertising non-existent, and when he actually finds his way to stratics to ask about UO its dismissed as a rant?
Come on.

Now this post is a rant... but i hardly see how moving a post with very useful information to All new players interested in learning more about the game Ive played for 14 years and will continue to play is a Spiel... or a Rant.

And yes, i consider discussion of the drawbacks of UO just as important as the attributes for someone actually interested in investing time into the game.

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a normal day at the office..

Atleast it hasn't been locked yet

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hey, give our CBL visitor a break. :D

Hi, Ragnustus! Welcome to Stratics. We're, erm, passionate around here.

I've not played many MMOs lately, although I do like WvWvW in GW2 (or did when I was playing regularly). For PvP, hard to be a lil TF2 or CA, though. :)

Last edited:

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Taylor for the welcome.
I like trying games I haven't played before. I always end up playing a bit of CA though.

In regards to the thread as a whole. This is nothing compared to some of the stuff I come across on CBL lol.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obvious UO bashing thread being moved. Continue the discussion here and keep it off UHall.
I disagree with moving this thread. Why not simply remove the few bashing posts? This thread was an honest attempt to ask for opinions by a prospective player. I think it would be easier for the OP to get opinions if this was left in UHall since very few people actually engage in posts in this forum.

Last edited:

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think prospective players should get the negatives of the game too. If he wanted all the sunshine and rainbows why even ask?

UO has Dup'ing of Gold and Items. UO has speed hacking. UO has biased people in authority. Not only on Forums. UO has a very slight Pay to Win system. UO has difficulty policing the game. The world has been defaced in places by bugs and exploits. Things like True Black Goza mats in the middle of roads and such. (Right in front of my house! *Grumble*) You absolutely will not be on the same footing as other players anytime in the next year unless someone gets a hankering to prove me wrong and handhold you for that year. And, finally, $15 does seem a bit much.

I still play the game. That should speak for itself.

I was a bit put off that this thread was moved too, but I guess now I can spiel on.

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well, just a bit of info. I agree. It's good to get the good and bad of a game. As we all know every game has 2 sides.
Hackers? Ever played CA before? Lol that should say it all in that.
Every game has biased people in authority. It's life.
$15 a month? I played WoW for 7 years, I have 3 accounts. Use to be four. I spent thousands on the game.
And having someone hold your hand through any game tends to make a game boring in a short amount of time.

I just wanted to add to this. I am not looking for just the positive sides to a game that I ask about. I am looking for multiple opinions good and bad about the games that I ask about. When I started playing Combat Arms a few years back I knew about all the hackers, glitchers, etc but I didn't care. I rather enjoy the play style of the game. Yes, I can get quite frustrated with it. But that is the point where you log off and spend some time doing something else instead.
Heck, in all the years that I played World of Warcraft I broke keyboards and threw a few of my mice while in a raid because I got mad that the tank or a healer or a dps was not doing what they were suppose too. But it's all part of life to get frustrated with things.
I learned at a young age that if I wanted to game that I would have to learn to deal with the good and the bad with any game that I played.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Nope. I've never played CA. What's CA? Actually, if you could help me understand most of the acronyms Taylor used I'd appreciate it. LOL

My comments were based on the experience you listed in the original post. You won't find hacking in World of Warcraft as easily as you would in UO and Blizzard will catch them for sure. In UO they don't even look. And $15 for a game with a game influencing cash shop and created a decade and a half ago?

This isn't that big of a deal to me or probably to you of course since you seem to be a grown man, but it's the principle. This is a hobby. I first played UO when I was 15.

I'm OKAY with paying it and even buying the boosters, but it's a negative aspect of the game.

And just wait to see how the bias is here and you'll understand what I'm saying. It'll be a few months, but I guarantee when you see it you won't nonchalantly blow it off.

Edit again... I just looked up Combat Arms. Hacking in an MMO is way different than Hacking in an FPS. The main thing is that in UO a hacker gets permanent benefits and in an FPS it's just a single match. It's very different except for maybe the speed hacking.

Last edited:

Ragnustus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey, give our CBL visitor a break. :D

Hi, Ragnustus! Welcome to Stratics. We're, erm, passionate around here.

I've not played many MMOs lately, although I do like WvWvW in GW2 (or did when I was playing regularly). For PvP, hard to be a lil TF2 or CA, though. :)
No Problem Ray_Martin.

GW2 is Guild Wars 2
TF2 is Team Fortress 2
CA is Combat Arms

Hacking in World of Warcraft is actually quite a bit more common than people think it is.... Although it is more referred to as "botting" in World of Warcraft. One other downside to WoW is the fact that there are so many sites that sell in game gold. It has completely destroyed that aspect of the game. A lot of people will buy gold for cash even though it is against Blizzards ToS instead of just farming it the good old fashioned way.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saddened to still see this thread here. Perhaps you can try the thread again in UHall or the Players Corner forum if you wish to get more prospective on this game. Plenty of players here, however rarely do they ever visit the rant forum.

Last edited: