• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Just for fun - Distribution of sos locations

sos440

Adventurer
I have collected over 500 MiBs and recorded their sos locations. Here is the result:

img_006.png

There is a clear pattern in the distribution of the locations. Interesting! ... maybe just to me :p

Good luck to all fishers on the great wide sea!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So, starting from West to East (and North to South), the following regions:

1. Parallel to the server line, west of Yew
  2. Bay north of Skara Brae south to the East/west server line
  3. Parallel to the N/S server line, West/Southwest of Skara Brae, from the central E/W server line all the way to the bottom server line
  4. Jhelom Sea (where the Zipactriotl quest takes one to, and the pirates are hot and heavy)
  5. (going back north) 5A.The seas between Britain, Cove and Vesper, East to the server line; 5B. the seas from the server line East to Nujelm (these may be two separate regions, or the gap is an artifact of the server line passing through it)
  6. The seas East of Trinsic, West of Haven/Ocllo, South of Buc's Den, and north of Serpent's Hold (again, may be two groups divided by a server line)
  7. The seas due east of Serpent's Hold, to Fire Island (Fel-only SOS might still exist in the area where the Underworld Volcano is in Trammel, even if only ones left over from before the SOS reformat)
  8. The seas south of Serpent's Hold, bounded by the Server line to the south, Valor Island to the West, and Fire Island to the East
  9. (going north again) The straits between the mainland and Ice Island, north of Nujelm
  10. The seas surrounding the Floating Emporium (east of Magincia & Haven/Ocllo, south of Moonglow, north of Fire Island, to the server line in the east)
Theoretically, it should be possible to make a .map file to display these areas in UOAM/UOC, and also to figure out the Latitude/Longitude numbers for sorting the SOS into the 10 groups.

sos440

Adventurer
Theoretically, it should be possible to make a .map file to display these areas in UOAM/UOC, and also to figure out the Latitude/Longitude numbers for sorting the SOS into the 10 groups.
You are right, my original purpose is to split SOS into groups so that I don't need to bring an absurdly many messages at a time. Thank you for the reply!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Davies' Locker is an 8th year Veteran Reward that is based on a real-life glass top table in the front lobby of Mythic Studio containing a three-dimensional map of Britannia, created by Alan Davies. It can store up to 500 Treasure Maps and/or Message in a Bottles.

This is a great item for sorting SoSs as it shows you the Lat and Long. I just wish there was a EASY way to move that Lat/Long to UOAutomap.

sos440

Adventurer
The Davies' Locker is an 8th year Veteran Reward that is based on a real-life glass top table in the front lobby of Mythic Studio containing a three-dimensional map of Britannia, created by Alan Davies. It can store up to 500 Treasure Maps and/or Message in a Bottles.

This is a great item for sorting SoSs as it shows you the Lat and Long. I just wish there was a EASY way to move that Lat/Long to UOAutomap.
That's an interesting piece of information... but thinking that my account is just months old and I am not earning easy gold, I guess that is not an item for me. :s

Usually I use google spreadsheet to manually record and manage LatLong coordinates, and use custom function to convert them into XY coordinates. Still painful, but not as bad as manually punching the numbers into UOAM/UOC.

I use similar techniques to manage fish monger's quests to compute scores.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ask around on your shard. Someone may have a public one set up or they may let you use theirs. Just be very careful.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ideally, you'd be putting them in the Davies' Locker after opening, then using the displayed coordinates to pull all the ones for a certain area.

I've been doing this to an extent ever since I got my locker, and even before. Sometimes, I'd go out on a trip to fish 10-20 SOS at a time. Once I got 1 chest full of 124 items or 400 stone of junk to unravel or junk for cleanup points, I'd recall out, get rid of it, then go back to the boat.

Plus, you can use that spreadsheet I linked to in one of the other threads to generate UOAM/UOC coordinates for a map file, then just connect the dots. Makes things go really fast.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ideally, you'd be putting them in the Davies' Locker after opening, then using the displayed coordinates to pull all the ones for a certain area.

I've been doing this to an extent ever since I got my locker, and even before. Sometimes, I'd go out on a trip to fish 10-20 SOS at a time. Once I got 1 chest full of 124 items or 400 stone of junk to unravel or junk for cleanup points, I'd recall out, get rid of it, then go back to the boat.

Plus, you can use that spreadsheet I linked to in one of the other threads to generate UOAM/UOC coordinates for a map file, then just connect the dots. Makes things go really fast.
LINK PLZ

sos440

Adventurer
Lord Frodo, Sounds nice. I should try some public locker if I can find hehe

Basara, I also use spreadsheet to generate UOAM/UOC coordinates. But I would love to see yours as well!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here is the modified version of the original on Google Docs. I made three different pages out of it - 1 for entering the full location (degrees and minutes, which was the original), 1 for just entering the degrees (Davies' Locker locations), and 1 for entering the Degrees from Davies Locker for Treasure Maps (to get you into the general area).

MIB Coordinate Calculator for UOAM/UO Cartographer

You can download this for use with Excel or OpenOffice, if I remember correctly, or enter them there. Please Don't mess with the code sections, though - just copy the highlighted section after entering your coordinates.

I also have a version for Quattro (Wordperfect's equivalent to Excel)

Krasnog

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fantastic info to share with everyone! This is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk