• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just a thought.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the passing of our Goblin friend, I can't help but think of all of the others that have gone before. UO is home to a fairly large number of older gamers. I guess I can count myself in that group since I am pushing 50 years old now and most likely have more days behind me than in front of me :) As I think back over the last 2 decades the number of dedicated UO players I have known that have passed away seems to be a growing list. Some were the bad guys, some the good guys, some well known across their home shard, others known only to a close circle of in game friends. But every single one important to someone else in game. I dare say for many of us more than a game. True friendhships have been forged as we have shared in game our real lives, talked about the ups and downs of life, shared the joy and stress of our kids growing up, divorces, successes and failures of life with other players who we have never met IRL but became some of our most trusted friends never the less.

What if a chunk of land were taken and something about the size of Blackthorns castle made on each shard for the specific purpose of placing memorials to all of those who have passed away over the years. Each shard has its unique history, and people of note Some like Ozog known to all and others known only to a few but holding a special place in the hearts of those few and contributed to the history of the shard they played. Don't get me wrong I like the various memorials around the lands but many of them are out of the way and rarely if ever seen. A single hall that honors all with a small memorial and a book telling who the person was in their game life would give a good history and honor those who shaped the shards for all to see and learn from. I just think it would be nice to go to such a place and remember all of those I have known over the years that have passed away and for others to be able to read about who they were.

For the record when I die IRL I want a great big ZOOGI FUNGUS Memorial :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No disrespect intended to anyone here.....

But when I die...I really hope I leave a greater legacy then a memorial in a video game. Here me out.....There was once a fabulous gamer on catskills. After he passed I worked endlessly until I got Grog's name added to the npc name data base. Catskills stratics page has a dedication to him and items crafted by him are still coveted by the vast majority.

But as selfish as this sounds.....getting his name wasnt added to the NPC name database did nothing for his wife or kids. OH I let them know when I succeeded and they were warm and genuine in their thanks, But it wasnt till years later that I realized something. It wasnt for Grog I did that....it was for me. Because I couldnt imagine playing the game without seeing a Grog in the game! It was entirely selfish but it always made and still makes me smile and laugh when I see "a Grog" in one of the towns.

So maybe we can get Pitmuck added to the Goblin name database in the abyss, Then when times are tough and we are feeling blue we can go down to the Abyss and see our old friend again! And then just like everytime I see Grog I can bow and salute an old friend with a smile and laugh!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am talking strictly in terms of game. Can't see a big ZOOGI FUNGUS being erected in the middle of my farm :) IRL my farm and what it represents is my legacy, in game and yes it is a video game that I have happened to forge some very real friendships in. I can't see where the harm of having the players in game legacy memorialized and their contribution to the game history recognized. Heck some of the people that have passed away I talked with every day for 15+ years. So what do you say, that was not real because it was just in a video game?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am talking strictly in terms of game. Can't see a big ZOOGI FUNGUS being erected in the middle of my farm :) IRL my farm and what it represents is my legacy, in game and yes it is a video game that I have happened to forge some very real friendships in. I can't see where the harm of having the players in game legacy memorialized and their contribution to the game history recognized. Heck some of the people that have passed away I talked with every day for 15+ years. So what do you say, that was not real because it was just in a video game?

No one said anything like that.............obviously you have taken offense where clearly none was intended and you missed the entire point of my my post. :facepalm:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope didn't take offense at all. Now that you used the Picard face palm though I have....... So why don't you take Picardy and stick him where the sun don't shine :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still visit the in-game gravesite of my dear friend Rascal... and you are right many of us are getting older... much older... many have already passed... but their memory lives on in us.
I also would prefer a central place a cemetery if you would for the Memorials rather than having them scattered throughout the lands. A place you could go and leave a message, refresh a bouquet of flowers or something... Its when I'm in Ventrilo that I miss him more than anything. I can't tell you the countless hours we spent together talking and laughing and carrying on while we fished or crafted or what have you... I miss his southern accent. We had spent at least 8 years talking on nearly a daily basis... his passing has left such a hole that I often find it difficult to play anymore, there is just something missing... some loneliness I feel without the sound of his voice.

Though we never met in game and I had never spoken to his family or his wife you felt you knew them. I can only imagine how empty they feel without him. We all deal with loss in our own way. I am beginning to understand though my Grandmother and her wisdom about age and death. Know that you will know more and more the specter of death as you age. Soon you will become not enemies but companions on a path to your own fate and one day you will welcome your old enemy and find comfort there.

(You do realize Tyrath that the EMs will help to place a grave for you for a dear departed friend.)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I do like the idea of having an area like that dedicated as a memorial to those who have gone on to the next level in rl - whatever that real level truly is.... and for me @TimberWolf 's point is well taken. But, I like to think those in game who are special enough to touch many lives in a video game, are also the people in the real world who do the very same thing in their rl. Take someone like Goodman from Atlantic (just one example as I know we have lost quite a few great ones on Atlantic) I can not even fathom him ever being a jerk in rl - so I would imagine his legacy in rl was FAR greater than his legacy in UO... which is rather large.

We are fortunate on Atlantic as a lot of those who have gone on are remembered at Goodman's main legacy to UO.. his rune library, as well as a couple or other places. Andrasata and the community does a great job at that but seeing it on a larger scale would be good imo.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still visit the in-game gravesite of my dear friend Rascal... and you are right many of us are getting older... much older... many have already passed... but their memory lives on in us.
I also would prefer a central place a cemetery if you would for the Memorials rather than having them scattered throughout the lands. A place you could go and leave a message, refresh a bouquet of flowers or something... Its when I'm in Ventrilo that I miss him more than anything. I can't tell you the countless hours we spent together talking and laughing and carrying on while we fished or crafted or what have you... I miss his southern accent. We had spent at least 8 years talking on nearly a daily basis... his passing has left such a hole that I often find it difficult to play anymore, there is just something missing... some loneliness I feel without the sound of his voice.

Though we never met in game and I had never spoken to his family or his wife you felt you knew them. I can only imagine how empty they feel without him. We all deal with loss in our own way. I am beginning to understand though my Grandmother and her wisdom about age and death. Know that you will know more and more the specter of death as you age. Soon you will become not enemies but companions on a path to your own fate and one day you will welcome your old enemy and find comfort there.

(You do realize Tyrath that the EMs will help to place a grave for you for a dear departed friend.)
Yep just thinking a hall of the departed would combine memorial and history in one place. Getting to where I have more friends that departed from life in UO than I do living friends in UO :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW Timberwolf my comment to you was rude but intended with humor, hope you took it that way ;)