• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

japan wins/tools silence U.S. Voices

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally on the subject of the new items we helped test only being available in Japan, I think it smells of perversity.
We pay each month too. Deco who cares, these are things that in some circles offer an advantage to a small select group. IMO not much diff than a staffer making items avaliable to a group of players, which is grounds for all kinds a bad action.

On the subject of ANY ONE PERSON attempting to silence the people who make LEGITIMATE grievance on the subject due to work or website affiliations is apalling. If the method of recent use of posting grievances on Stratics in order to be read by those in the know is not available to voice this complaint, how are we then to address the subject?

B

BeefSupreme

I don't have a problem with them selling them for cash. That's their choice.
I'm fine with it if it helps UO stay around a while longer.
I do have a BIG problem offering any items to some other country first though.
Mostly because it's an American game, made for Americans. Of course
we're not a stingy country, and will allow other countries to join in on the fun.
I'm not even saying we should have it first or whatever. Give it to all at the same time.

B

Beer_Cayse

Huh??

:postpics: and a good clear explanation of what you want to tell us.

B

BeefSupreme

Huh??

:postpics: and a good clear explanation of what you want to tell us.
He's talking about the thread that was locked yesterday or day before.
Regarding Japan getting the undertaker's staff, smuggler's edge, vendor earrings etc.
before anyone else, including the American EA official uogamecodes.com store.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
huh? What did he say??????? :confused:
Apperently EAJapan released a few functional and very useful items for certain type of players ingame. Of course these items are, again, offered exclusively to Japanese UO Store to Japanese players.

Without a decent japanese proxy server that accepts cookies and certain restrictions there no way for US players to purchase these items as Japan UO Store automatically kicks any IP that didnt come from Japan back to uoherald.com. And you are unable to get approved with *most* japanese proxy servers to finish up a purchase.

Basically unless you have at least certain level of networking knowledge you can NOT get those items unless buying from greedy xsharders paying 10 to 50 times the value to buy them from a broker or a player.

Apperently Ultima Online is made in Japan. :bowdown:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have a BIG problem offering any items to some other country first though.
Mostly because it's an American game, made for Americans. Of course
we're not a stingy country, and will allow other countries to join in on the fun.
Ahhhh. Americans. *sigh*

Put simply, EA Japan do a better job than EA U.S.A. when it comes to UO. They look after their customers better, have better events, better GMs, and a better community. The community is largely due to the players tho.

Instead of thinking about how bad you think the US players get it (they don't btw, you have it good), spare a thought for the other (almost forgotten) countries that host shards.

Spouting typical American patriotic rubbish ("Mostly because it's an American game, made for Americans. Of course
we're not a stingy country, and will allow other countries to join in on the fun.") just makes you sound selfish. UO is a WORLD WIDE game, with servers in many countries. Likewise, EA is a WORLD WIDE company. it just so happens that EA Japan treats UO better.

Maybe the AMERICAN EA should start to pick up the slack and treat their fellow Americans better.

My point is: dont blame Japan, and dont say things like "this is our game, you are lucky that we arent stingy and let you play it." The way I see it, we are all lucky that countries other than the US play/host this game, the more the better.

I'm not even saying we should have it first or whatever. Give it to all at the same time.
Now this is sensible, but you see it is not Japan's fault that it is not this way. They are doing a good job. If only the rest of EA was as good to UO as EAJ.

Oh, and spare a thought for us Australian/Oceanians, I doubt if EA Australia even knows what UO is, let alone that they host Oceania in Sydney.

P

Phineas le Monge

It's not just the xsharders who are greedy - what about the ones who buy this stuff? The obsessed "I gotta have that first" even if it's only rare for a month players who spend billions in gold on these items. STOP spending outrageous gold on these things and the xshard market will dry up.

Dealing pixel crack is bad, but if you quit buying it they will soon quit selling it:twak:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apart from the fact that this thread begins by discussing moderator's actions, let me say this. That thread wasn't locked because of the subject matter, but because of the number of posts that broke our Rules of Conduct. Protest if you must, but do it without getting into personal attacks.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apart from the fact that this thread begins by discussing moderator's actions, let me say this. That thread wasn't locked because of the subject matter, but because of the number of posts that broke our Rules of Conduct. Protest if you must, but do it without getting into personal attacks.
I never once mentioned any particular thread, any particular position:moderator, admin, poster, or made so much as a hint of a personal attack to or about anyone.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And by the way, the items are now available on the US site.
You are welcome.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never once mentioned any particular thread, any particular position:moderator, admin, poster, or made so much as a hint of a personal attack to or about anyone.
I don't get what you're trying to say here.
This thread was in response to "legitmate grievances" being silenced, which is pretty obviously a thread being locked. So surely it doesn't matter whether you mentioned a particular thread, since it's still a moderator action.
Also, "tools silence U.S. Voices" doesn't sound very much like a friendly statement.

I'm no expert, but you seem to be wrong...

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm no expert, but you seem to be wrong...
His concerns were legitimate, but they way he expressed them may have been a bit strong.

In the end, all paying subscribers to UO should have equal access to all things in game. Meaning added content, not things like server birth rares.

It just a shame that it even went down like it did, but honestly it is par for the course when it comes to EA.

Sometimes I feel like UO is the Rodney Dangerfield to EA. Even though it has loyal base and has been around for 12+ years we still get no respect.

EA has historically put revenue as the driving force to all their actions. Now a good corporation should do that, but not 100% of the time.

Since the change of UO from skill based to item based EA promised to spend time on bug fixes and game imbalances.. but only after the next publish.

Well now its 2010 and they still haven't done anything, so the OP has some justification to complain on how EA handles certain things when related to UO.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The quoted text was in regards to the text that I'd quoted. The OP made claims to have not done things they'd fairly clearly done.

I have all the argument in the world against things being limited to a region.
In this case especially, since the only way to buy from the japanese store is to have a Japanese IP address.

C

CatLord

In the end, all paying subscribers to UO should have equal access to all things in game. Meaning added content, not things like server birth rares.
Sorry to disagree, I have been playing since the game started and the cheating is rampant... mostly in pvp and profitable areas/battles like the harrower and the new sa fel rule champ spawns...

Equality isnt a uo trait...