• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Isn't ANYONE going to enter the Fairgrounds redesign contest???

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pallando still has no entries, and the only person seeming to be interested in a submission is an ATLANTIC player. IT's been extended to July 2, BTW.

Come on, we can do better than that.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What ever happened with the Luna trash box contest? I entered it and never heard anything back, so I decided not to bother with this one. Besides whats wrong with the current fairgrounds other than no one has used them in years.

S

StifledArgument

I know Pallando wants folks to enter, but I just don't have the software or time right now to do it justice, and honestly I have never been to them during an event to know what should be done differently. I always miss the events :(

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know Pallando wants folks to enter, but I just don't have the software or time right now to do it justice, and honestly I have never been to them during an event to know what should be done differently. I always miss the events :(
Same... What software do people use for this stuff?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mostly they use screencaptures, and pics they find from inside the game software using InsideUO, to build images up.

For the really talented, one of the few legal uses of server emulators is to set up a private one (one without users other than the cast of your production), to make webcomics and design items/modify the map to submit for contests.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I signed up to enter the contest to redesign the fairgrounds. As the deadline neared and the other design contests I had entered and won were still not completed, I really didn't have the interest to submit an entry. I could see no sense in entering, then perhaps winning and not getting to see the prize of a completed redesign in game.

It has been over a year since the Brit Bank redesign winner was chosen and the bank has never been completed. The garbage can contest was over not too long ago and it hasn't been installed, yet. It hasn't been too long for that one, actually, but there are only two items that have to be added for that contest.

Having said that, I would still encourage people to submit entries to the fairgrounds contest. It's fun to be creative in that way and the winner of the fairgrounds contest might actually get to see their design come to life.

BlissMarie

Ps.

If anyone wants to use my template of the fairgrounds, you are welcome to. Just say the word and I will upload the image. All you would have to do is decorate it, making it the way you think it should look. It took me two days to assemble my template from screenshots of the fairgrounds. I know it could be helpful to someone. It looks like this:

...except it is huge. It's the actual size of the land mass. The image is 20.9MB and measures 4272x3796.

EM Pallando

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A note on that BlissMarie, Mesanna apologizes for the delay but both the plaque and the trash can are now up in Luna.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pallando also mentioned in the thread for the Fairgrounds, that if the designer has a screenshot of their original, complete, WBB redesign, send it to them. I do believe some wires got crossed with the devs that had to the work (I believe that previous comments indicated it took engineers/programmers to do some of the statics), and they thought the partial work was complete.

Also, one of the earlier common requests concerning the design, was to unblock the original teleporter (move the potted plant), since the layering effect of the grass hides the new teleporter off half of the time, and the new teleporter didn't work like the original one (the original one wasn't blocked by someone standing on the destination, but the new one is, IIRC)

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara,

Thank you for bringing attention to this situation and for seeing that not only did Pallando and Mesanna get word, but that I, too, got word of what was going on and for pointing me to both threads.

You can find an image of the intended design of the bank here:
http://fasterthanthat.com/brit/Entry2LakeAustinBlissMarie.jpg

It would be fine with me for that plant in the front corner to be replaced by a teleporter tile.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress.

BlissMarie

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good grief, shallow enough to get hurt diving in....sorry but that's how I see it. I was there, and Mesanna was very apologetic. Limme go back and read where you said "the other contests you entered and won"....yep I read it correctly....congratulations, you obviously needed to hear it.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Garth. Good to hear from you, again. It's nice to know you are still keeping an eye out for me.

BlissMarie

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weren't the fairgrounds just recently redesigned? Anyway, i hate carnies, so would never go to them anyway.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Weren't the fairgrounds just recently redesigned? Anyway, i hate carnies, so would never go to them anyway.
No, they were never redesigned. They were built 3-4 years ago by long departed EMs & Devs, but the EM program of the time ended DURING the naming contest for the Fairegrounds, so it never even had so much as an opening ceremony.

That EM and the next had a few small events occur on/in the site, but not to any great extent, and weird things happened to the Fairegrounds (for example, the gauntlet of golden monks that pummeled you disappeared in the obstacle course, to where only one monk now remains)

Dexter started to move a bit into the tavern there (even set up a mailbox), then he too was gone.

What you remember was when Pallando announced a design contest for a fairgrounds a few months back, not knowing there was one already in existence.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi-

I had my PMs turned off, so any of you who PMed me, write again, please.

BlissMarie

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I PM'd Pallando my ideas for a revamp, since I'm all thumbs when it domes to graphics programs, as a description. The last events of the Martel/Nyssa EM era provided a few ideas, and my suggested name...