• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is this the answer for scripters and cheaters?

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you know that years ago, there used to be flags on special peoples accounts, that read, "Do not ban for afk macroing." .
This is such a bunch of you know what .

Fire Beetles. Made after portable forges were discovered in game.
Hahaha. Not even close. Portable forges were around just after the servers came up in 1997 and were discovered about 2 hours after first server up in 1997 , so no . This again is more bunk.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone at Everquest II came up with the most interesting answer to deal with cheaters. It rolls out in a few days.

A prison server. You get caught cheating, you get a 1 way ticket to that server where you can cheat all you want. ... <snip>...
On paper, it sounds good but note that at/near the end it was stated that it's a trial and they want to see how it works before committing to it 100%.

Would it work with UO? Doubtful as it takes for bloody ever to nail serious offenders because (I believe) a GM must see the offense and we all know it takes a lllloooonnnngggg time for a GM response in many cases. If it had been implemented even 15 years ago, it might have helped but ATM there's no real hope.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just don't come to fel if you don't want to cheat, cause EVERYONE there does. And if they say they don't, they're lying. Or just too lazy to learn. 9x out of 10 the ones that don't, just can't figure it out.
I don't. Although my use of ***** could be considered cheating, but then, I don't do well over half of what it's capable of.

So here we have another cheater promoting cheating, which I´m sure will be allowed to continue to post because that´s the path Stratics is going down...
Um, the devs have allowed it too. "Use whatever you want, but just make sure you're attended when you do" - how does that not promote cheating?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one here who has never scripted?? The closest ive come is a few coins on a key to repeat a macro. Usually as I cooked dinner with the laptop running in the background!
Years back, I didn't. I do it regularly now - mostly for working skills *cough* Taming *cough*

Other than UOA I haven't. Looks like it may be just the 2 of us being conformist! <chuckle>
Actually, wouldn't that be non-conformist?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually, wouldn't that be non-conformist?
Depends on the side of the coin. From EA standpoint, I am one who follows the rules and conforms. From the scripter community standpoint I am non-conformist.

Oh dear! Split personality? ACK! <mutters "I need a beer, dammit!">

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having my mouse send the keyboard command for a training macro while I sit and watch while listening to music saves me some arthritis pain from repetitive training steps. The day they tell me I have to hurt to train I'm all done. Masochism isn't one of my things.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope someone at BS knows who you are and banns your account.
OMG, a Stratics poster admits he scripts when working skills. BURN THE WITCH.

Seriously dude, get off your high horse. I've admitted to using a 3rd party program several times on here (even posting multiple screenshots, one of which directly acknowledges that it is one) and ingame, and nothing has happened to my account. Nor will anything happen because of the current dev stance.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
****, scripting your skills takes a lot more effort than buying mythic tokens + SOTs.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
****, scripting your skills takes a lot more effort than buying mythic tokens + SOTs.
That's true as well, but for mage skills, I don't care, since it only takes a few days to go from 0-120. Combat skills can be done in a day - the only skills I'd really use a Mythic Token for are Taming & Healing/Vet, tbh. Well, maybe Fishing too, but I have no interest in making one.

There's no way in hell I would go the Mythic/SoT route for taming though - I'm not opposed to Mythic Token (since I made my first tamer back in 2004 with Adv Char), but 5.0 Taming SoTs are ridiculously expensive, and I don't want to pay 200m+ for +30.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
How you gonna stop a scripter from cheating on a private house?
Supposedly the GMs cannot look into the house through the walls, or so they say.....
Same as I have had a Councellor/playerhelper/ one of those new guys to help new players, say that scripting at home is all legal, as long as it out of the public eye.
Also something no one mentioned, anyone who really scripts can set a recall rule before you are 10 tiles away from them, they recall out, so no chance of killing them, videoing them or anything.... Its sad but a lousy programmme has beaten the game

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I rather doubt they do either. I still say they ought to add an alert to the code that tells them if an account runs more than 20 hours a day more than once a week...

If someone is scripting 23/7 then it shouldn't take too long to get flagged and once flagged then GM's/Mesanna could then visit the house owned by the account and any other homes that account is co-owned/friended to.... It wouldn't take rocket science to figure out if they are scripting something or not. That is if the DEV's can even see where these people are friended/co-owned to. Cause anyone who scripts isn't going to be stupid enough to keep all their illicit goods on the account they script with... though some scripters aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack...

Also shouldn't be hard to trace CC purchases for either game time codes or accounts either. If they really wanted to actually do a thorough job of it. Just saying.

But then it also isn't that hard to spot a multi-boxer either... but they don't seem to care about that either.
There is a small problem here that I can see and that people will also use to protect themselves or claim things, Il give you an example, when my GF decides to go with her friends is the only time I might have the house alone for myself, so maybe out of the 48 hours that a weekend has, I might be on games for about 42-45 sometimes, if I am on a gaming frenzy and my horrible insomnia doesnt let me sleep. So now, If I decided in all that time not to close UO, would I be cheating cause of extensive gameplay hours..... I see here the problem. We are very close to sorting it out but we are still quite off......
About the illicit goods people collect, well firstly once is vendored, you have sorted the problem as you have refreshed the Item ID, unless the item was duped it wouldnt vendor. Anyone that has say 60k of all the essenses, first of all if they were smart they wouldnt tell everyone in sight as its makes it look suspisious. Half the illicit trades take place with no one even knowing about them, so we are just fighting a losing war here.
About the devs checking co-owned houses, well that is wrong in my eyes, cant friends be co-owners of each others houses without the need to cheat, I can see many people unjustifiably getting done for something someone else has done, and we all have a friend that scripts and we play a blind eye.

As if the Devs had any intention to even punish cheaters that are below duping thousands of tokens. Some of them even made it to their own threads here, which ofc still lead to no action taken by the devs :D

And then Bonnie even said everything is fine as long as you can type "Hi" to an GM if he shows up.
Please dont make it soo easy for them...... Anyone with a little tech savvy, knows this is piss easy to do......
Plus are we forced to speak to the GM? thats something I dont get, what if you native language aint English......?!!! Or better off, if you are antisocial?

Theres soo many loopholes/tricks/exploits in this game, than trying to patch it all up would probably end up the game , as that many changes would just piss of the community.

Also something Ive always mentioned when It comes to these issues of Cheats/Exploits/Hacks, the UO Dev team knows perfectly who these people are but for some weird reason they are not interested in tackling it, although sounds harsh to say, I think someone is getting some cash in their back pockets so blind eyes are happening, cause them illegal sites are not something that pop out of nowhere yesterday, they have been out for years..... but on the other hand, they are also part of the game, we want it or not, as new players are not going to hassle for months to get suits, arties, drops and all needed to play at a decent level, so if these sites didnt exist, they population of UO would also be smaller than it is. Id say prob 75% of players in UO, have used directly or indirectly the services of these sites....

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How you gonna stop a scripter from cheating on a private house?
Supposedly the GMs cannot look into the house through the walls, or so they say.....
Same as I have had a Councellor/playerhelper/ one of those new guys to help new players, say that scripting at home is all legal, as long as it out of the public eye.
Also something no one mentioned, anyone who really scripts can set a recall rule before you are 10 tiles away from them, they recall out, so no chance of killing them, videoing them or anything.... Its sad but a lousy programmme has beaten the game
GMs can see anywhere- anyone who said that to you is either lying or just making stuff up.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GMs can see anywhere- anyone who said that to you is either lying or just making stuff up.
I actually had to laugh out loud... What a game we would have if you could escape a GM by going inside a house. Just goes to prove some people will believe most anything.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I actually had to laugh out loud... What a game we would have if you could escape a GM by going inside a house. Just goes to prove some people will believe most anything.
Well then UO, BS & EA have a massive problem then, as it was one of their employees......

Also didnt Mesanna say at M&G, something on the lines of, if its not seen we are not worried..... I cannot paraphrase as I wasn't present but I remember in many threads it appeared months ago.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well then UO, BS & EA have a massive problem then, as it was one of their employees......

Also didnt Mesanna say at M&G, something on the lines of, if its not seen we are not worried..... I cannot paraphrase as I wasn't present but I remember in many threads it appeared months ago.
I think you are confusing GM's with Advisors. It was stated that Advisors are not supposed to be able to enter player homes. (Someone reported an Advisor entered an IDOC.) GM's can track you down anywhere.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Based on what I was told by an EM, Advisors and EM's can only enter a house if it is set to public. If it's private they are locked out just like a normal player. However, there was temporarily an exploit that allowed Advisors to break into private houses.... which is how the Advisors were getting into IDOC's. That has been fixed and is no longer possible.

GM's and developers on the other hand, can enter any house whenever they want regardless of it being private or not.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh so the devs have taken a "don't ban douchbags" stance. I didn't see that announcement.
Then you haven't been paying attention. Our own producer said if they can respond to a GM, there won't be any action.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Oh so the devs have taken a "don't ban douchbags" stance. I didn't see that announcement.
This happened when Mesanna stated, to paraphrase, "
Do what ever it takes to win".

Yet if you stand there hitting a wolf spider with a weapon it's bad juju.

Their priorities are certainly skewed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This happened when Mesanna stated, to paraphrase, "
Do what ever it takes to win".

Yet if you stand there hitting a wolf spider with a weapon it's bad juju.

Their priorities are certainly skewed.
I believe that was "Anyway you want to win you win" or some such non-sense. (Though in her defense I think she means what every character style you want to play and whatever goal you set to "win" then when you reach that you win. Though she chose a very poor way to say it and many take it to imply go ahead and cheat and use whatever to beat the game however you want.)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I believe that was "Anyway you want to win you win" or some such non-sense. (Though in her defense I think she means what every character style you want to play and whatever goal you set to "win" then when you reach that you win. Though she chose a very poor way to say it and many take it to imply go ahead and cheat and use whatever to beat the game however you want.)
Yeah I believe it was from and interview they had, and ended one of the questions that way.

She was referring to play styles but coincidentally shows the same attitude to addressing the same issues we've seen for years.