• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

is this sad?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
is this sad?
i would struggle to tell someone directions to go across town in RL but i could sit here face to face or typing and tell someone in detail how to get from Trinisc to Minoc on foot.
every turn and bridge and river and spawn.

20 years has been a while.

hard to imagine how much of my brain is full of UO stuff when i could be using that space for work or something.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is this sad?
i would struggle to tell someone directions to go across town in RL but i could sit here face to face or typing and tell someone in detail how to get from Trinisc to Minoc on foot.
every turn and bridge and river and spawn.

20 years has been a while.

hard to imagine how much of my brain is full of UO stuff when i could be using that space for work or something.
Ah yes... but can you explain the route from Oasis spawn to Tortoise spawn in Fel T2A on foot...

;)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Being able to recall into a random area and navigate by the layout of the trees on the map might be sort of sad as well...

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've often told my friends that you could open a gate to nearly anywhere in game and within short order I'd know exactly where I was... I don't ever get lost in UO anymore...

I've always preferred to walk to where I'm going over recall or gate. I love exploring UO... made it my mission when I first started to "learn the lay of the land"... and I still do... when Eodon opened on TC the first thing I did was travel every inch of it to see what I could see...

There are so few area's in UO that I don't know.

Sure there are some minor differences from one shard to another and some EM stuff on other shards that I'm sure I have no clue about... but as for the main stuff ..... I don't that I could find myself anywhere that I wouldn't know where I was.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Friends usually call on me when they get an Ilshenar map they can't recognize..... Of course, I'm the person they all think crazy because I do all my mining in Ilshenar - with Gargoyle Pickaxes..... Paragon Valorite Elementals are fun....

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
WOW dude you are some kind of Medium?!
I was only just thinking, its more fun to walk or ride anywhere in this game.
I live in east brit, so when i start a new toon and need to get it to my house to gear up and make a rune for it I tend to get it to run east through those woods, mind you its a new toon and has barely any gear and ****eful weapon aha
I could easily get my mage to open a portal in the inn and logout leaving the portal open but no its more fun running to my house I think, its a fair walk to!

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
I've often told my friends that you could open a gate to nearly anywhere in game and within short order I'd know exactly where I was... I don't ever get lost in UO anymore...

I've always preferred to walk to where I'm going over recall or gate. I love exploring UO... made it my mission when I first started to "learn the lay of the land"... and I still do... when Eodon opened on TC the first thing I did was travel every inch of it to see what I could see...

There are so few area's in UO that I don't know.

Sure there are some minor differences from one shard to another and some EM stuff on other shards that I'm sure I have no clue about... but as for the main stuff ..... I don't that I could find myself anywhere that I wouldn't know where I was.
Your signature freaking rules bro!!! So sexy!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Your signature freaking rules bro!!! So sexy!!
Thanks... made it myself.

Oh... and P.S.: Not a Bro!... Sis. *winks*

It is actually 4 of my more main characters:

the Twins Willa and Trilla *(Willa being the Governess of Yew on Great Lakes) and the "brothers" Malag'aste and Setatabon.

Malag has just become more of my main character over the years since I found that if you are playing a female character often everyone wants to "help" you .... and either assumes you can't do things... you need help all the time... or you are a G.I.R.L... (guy in real life)... And in the first 2 years of my playing UO I not only got asked 400 times if I was "really" a "Chick"... but got proposed to no less than 4 times. Got to be so often I rather lost track... So I started playing more male characters... so I could actually play the game more.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Thanks... made it myself.

Oh... and P.S.: Not a Bro!... Sis. *winks*

It is actually 4 of my more main characters:

the Twins Willa and Trilla *(Willa being the Governess of Yew on Great Lakes) and the "brothers" Malag'aste and Setatabon.

Malag has just become more of my main character over the years since I found that if you are playing a female character often everyone wants to "help" you .... and either assumes you can't do things... you need help all the time... or you are a G.I.R.L... (guy in real life)... And in the first 2 years of my playing UO I not only got asked 400 times if I was "really" a "Chick"... but got proposed to no less than 4 times. Got to be so often I rather lost track... So I started playing more male characters... so I could actually play the game more.
Makes total sense!
Your character names and backgrounds are really cool, I like the whole RPG element to any game especially when it comes from players imaginations.
Apologies on the bro then mam :) Its such a bad habit to assume everyone is male because I reckon I'm the only guy player who doesn't pay attention or think about who is playing what.
I have met a few woman now playing UO and you all seem like great well knowledge players.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok Poo, how do you get to lenmir anfinmotas - no cheating - hehe

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, same. I have picture memory, and memorize locations by landmarks and terrain, rather than names. If someone tells me to go to somewhere on 3rd Ave, it draws a blank in my mind. If they tell me it's near ****'s, then i immediately know where it is and how to get there.
If i'm in a new city, even with instructions, i can get lost until i get my "feel" for the place. Yet i never get lost in the woods, and am always able to retrace my steps back. I'd be a terrible city tour guide, but an excellent forest guide.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lol, same. I have picture memory, and memorize locations by landmarks and terrain, rather than names. If someone tells me to go to somewhere on 3rd Ave, it draws a blank in my mind. If they tell me it's near ****'s, then i immediately know where it is and how to get there.
If i'm in a new city, even with instructions, i can get lost until i get my "feel" for the place. Yet i never get lost in the woods, and am always able to retrace my steps back. I'd be a terrible city tour guide, but an excellent forest guide.
I've always had the fortune of having a pretty good internal compass when in a car or outside so long as the streets go NSEW.... however there are a couple of towns here where I live that are somewhat laid out in more of a diamond. And I'm ALWAYS lost there... I can't tell what direction I'm going... But I tend to have a strange ability of once I've been somewhere I often can get myself back there fairly easily. Especially if I drove there. I'm rather the same way in most games however Diablo can mess me up since it has several different maps for some area's. I just have to take a couple moments to figure out which map they are using and then I'm generally ok.

PaulCH

Journeyman
I originally started by making two male characters but, the first time I got armor that only a female could wear (think it was female leather armor of invulnerability...think that was it but so long ago...), I started making more female characters. They could wear anything a male character could plus the female armor. For me, it was a no brainer...strictly a practical choice. I have *very* rarely been treated differently when I'm playing my female chars.

If you asked me a few days ago then I would've said that I knew Felucca fairly well. I started playing on Siege so I have been walking around a lot...after 18 or 19 years of playing, I just discovered the Justice shrine. I don't think that I had ever been there before.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Since my return to UO I have been doing the Traders Quest. I run the city to city one stay away from the moongates unless I have to go to Moonglow or Magincia.

Trade quest.jpg

I have done it so many times I could be Governor in any city on Sonoma, its is fun and I enjoy doing several missions every weekend.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I don't walk to and from my houses (3 of the 4 are in the middle of the boonies, 1 north of Minoc, 1 at the Compassion Crossroads, and 1 at the crossroads SE of Yew Cemetery. The 4th is in the Royal city Guard Zone), I DO run willy-nilly across Trammel most days I play, supplementing the Britain coffers with trade orders (I'm governor). So, I go overland to Minoc, Vesper, Trinsic, Ye and Skara (using a rowboat to cross since the ferry doesn't work for me), down to the beach south of Honor and the Delucia passage to take a rowboat to Jhelom, and only resorting to moongates for the Moonglow and New Magincia trade orders.

I also routinely run around the entire perimeter of the continent, starting south of the Grove and finishing north of Skara, looking for Honesty items to replace points lost from buying stuff for the trade orders (and do the same on Moonglow, Buc's Den and New Mag, which provide about half the honesty items I find)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it sad that I've been playing since 98, still don't know the Champ spawn alter locations by heart in T2A, didn't know how to get to Serp's Isle without a rune, and just found out two days ago pets can't hurt the controllers in Tram :/

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still drive by the nearby buffalo ranch and think to myself "I wonder what the minimum taming skill is for one of those". And when I see a really nice vacant lot I wonder if I could place an 18x18 there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still drive by the nearby buffalo ranch and think to myself "I wonder what the minimum taming skill is for one of those". And when I see a really nice vacant lot I wonder if I could place an 18x18 there.
I'm forever thinking ....... "hum... a castle would go really nice right there..." There is a particular farm on my way to a larger city that everytime I pass it I think.... man... demolish that and build me a nice castle on top of that hill overlooking that river there... with those beautiful oaks .... would be so awesome... if only it would go IDOC...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah, but that doesn't answer the question on how to get there - hehe

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
How many of you can get to Ice Island without a boat or recall, sacred journey, or gateing? You have to do it on your own, I have.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
yeah, but that doesn't answer the question on how to get there - hehe
true, a question for you then would you know the way? I sure do not. Another question for you, can you post how?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How many of you can get to Ice Island without a boat or recall, sacred journey, or gateing? You have to do it on your own, I have.
In Fel:
1. Run from Brit moongate to dungeon destard.
2. Traverse from destard entrance to level 3 and take the west sparkle.
3. Traverse from deceit level 4 to the deceit entrance on level 1.
4. Exit deceit onto ice island.

OR

Find a corrupt portal and say "dungeon deceit"...

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
true, a question for you then would you know the way? I sure do not. Another question for you, can you post how?
I'm not really sure it's the same on every shard, but on Napa you can go to the compassion shrine in Ilsh and double click the dragon statue and it will teleport you there.

Last edited:

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ive traveled through the dungeons a few times before there were tele tiles and boats to gate to that are near.
From Deciet you can go to either Fire or Despise.
Fron Despise you can go to either Destard or the Terathian Keep (good fishing in the keep)
Destard Deciet or Terathian Keep
Fire Destard or Despise
Terathian Keep Deciet or Fire
You can go back and forth between those, you just have to find the sparkleys and know which to take.

Happy exploring.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Since my return to UO I have been doing the Traders Quest. I run the city to city one stay away from the moongates unless I have to go to Moonglow or Magincia.

View attachment 64155

I have done it so many times I could be Governor in any city on Sonoma, its is fun and I enjoy doing several missions every weekend.

I thought when you gained on one city you lost in the others...... Thats new for me!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought when you gained on one city you lost in the others...... Thats new for me!
That was for earning it from the older methods, that I don't even know if they still work any more (getting the ropes and arresting certain NPCs)

Doing champ spawns (any facet) gain you in your home city.

Doing a trade order gains you in both cities involved (even if you're not a citizen in either).