• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there still some hope to see more items be made as "Stackable" ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know what happened to the list of items needing to be made as "stackables"?

A good few Publishes back there were some items that were made as stackables (finally), but with more recent Publishes, just the grass and snow tiles were made as stackables (and with some problems too...). Yet, there still are quite several items still needing some love to finally make them as stackable .....

Is there still hope to see all those items still needing to be made as stackable be made as such ?

Any Developer might want to shed some light whether in reasonable times we will be able to see more items finally be made stackable ?

Thanks !!

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought, each item, which has the same type and base properties, should be stackable. Although, this would affect checks as well - yes, a stack of one million GP checks would be something fine.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well where to begin... Um here:

Tokens, Heritage tokens, various tokens like transfer tokens, 8th anniversary Tokens, Legacy Tokens etc...

Small pieces of Blackrock, Ant Goo, Acid Pools, broken pottery fragments, Crystals from the dungeon on Nu'Jelm I can't think of right now since it's getting close to bed time..., Power Crystals, Pies, Vines, Plants, ..... Coils Fangs,.... guess that's all I got for now.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the gift and harpsicord tickets, anniversary muffins and such, xmas trees, creepy picture deeds, furniture deeds ...

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dyes from the tailor shop would be another nice one.
Dont get me started with dyes ... what about the dye tubs. As long as there is no tradein for Vet rewards I would highly appreciate to stack them (either only if they have default color or reset them to default color automatically while stacking).

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whenever there is extra time, we try to add items to the stackable list. A few notes on stackables...

Items must of the same type
Items must have the same data and scripts

Existing items that are not stackable, that we make stackable, will need to be exchanged (like the grass and snow tiles).

A few notes on some items that can never be made stackable,
Promotional Tokens
Deeds
Anything with charges (would have to combine the charges, not stack the items)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whenever there is extra time, we try to add items to the stackable list. A few notes on stackables...

Items must of the same type
Items must have the same data and scripts

Existing items that are not stackable, that we make stackable, will need to be exchanged (like the grass and snow tiles).

Promotional Tokens
Deeds

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing more items, like blackrock pieces, blackrock stew etc. etc. be made stackable.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the update/information Kyronix. It was very helpful. I look forward to being able to free up some housing space. Being able to combine PoF charges up to even 100 would be a MASSIVE help for me!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Kyronix I understand deeds not stacking so can we PLEASE pretty PLEASE get deed books? I'd like to see deed books for things like Anniversary and Gift Deeds.... can we please be able to "bind" them into books then?

I would like to see a craftable deed book that works like a bod book that you could price deeds for sale with and put on a vendor. Deedables like Forges, Training dummies and other "craftable" items. These deeds could go in a book.... the name of the deed could be colored to match the item if it's made of special material or dyed...

But anything that helps sort and clear up these lockdowns. Could you at least consider a deed book for such things? Could Heritage tokens not go into that? Can they not be stacked??? Please!!!!!!!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Promotional Tokens
Deeds
You didn't include refinements. I still have never received a satisfactory answer on why two of the same type, same armor type and same power cannot be stackable. If they cannot, that implies there's invisible data which surely isn't necessary.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You didn't include refinements. I still have never received a satisfactory answer on why two of the same type, same armor type and same power cannot be stackable. If they cannot, that implies there's invisible data which surely isn't necessary.
He's said there are invisible scripts attached that are different on outwardly identical refinements.

Which, to be perfectly honest, is the needlessly complex nail in this virtually DOA system's coffin.

UOers don't want tediously ccomplex systems. We want fun, engaging content that doesn't take an out of game database or a spreadsheet to enjoy.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He's said there are invisible scripts attached that are different on outwardly identical refinements.

Which, to be perfectly honest, is the needlessly complex nail in this virtually DOA system's coffin.

UOers don't want tediously ccomplex systems. We want fun, engaging content that doesn't take an out of game database or a spreadsheet to enjoy.
From a programming standpoint, a script for an individual refinement is ridiculous. Any refinement can call the same single subroutine and pass along the few values required. I never found refinements complex as a system, but it seems the code behind them is even worse.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a programming standpoint, a script for an individual refinement is ridiculous. Any refinement can call the same single subroutine and pass along the few values required. I never found refinements complex as a system, but it seems the code behind them is even worse.
gernerating the "random" resist modification is probably why they dont stack

that being said, what the big deal with stackables? im glad the devs arent taking much time on this, just "when there is extra time" it seems really hard and breaks things, not worth the trouble / risk if you ask me. we have plenty of storage space, (ok maybe not the hoarders)

I would like pof to be stackable and deedable. tired of paying 100k per bottle, let the dupers have a shot at it like imbue ingredients.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Smoot is probably on the spot about the refinements. The random % chance of the extra mod is probably generated at spawn time.
Now, that bears another question... why the eff they had to have a random factor? It would be a much better system if there was no random chance of getting the extra resist.
If I wanted to overcap 3 resists, I'd just have to use a level 3 refinement instead of a level 2 with a chance of a 3rd, or a level 4 that guarantee me the 3 resists, but with the chance of walking out with an unwanted resist modded...

Xelious Norwood

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would like to see Kegs stackable (of the same properties/amounts in each keg of course) would cut down on storage of a million kegs I have.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
gernerating the "random" resist modification is probably why they dont stack
There's actually no reason whatsoever for a refinement to have its own programming for randomness. Think about it: Greater Heal potions don't work that way, and for good reason, which allowed them to be made stackable later on. No programmer worth his salt would bother having an item spawn with so much extra data. It's far easier to, as I said, have values passed on to a subroutine.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Smoot is probably on the spot about the refinements. The random % chance of the extra mod is probably generated at spawn time.
Now, that bears another question... why the eff they had to have a random factor? It would be a much better system if there was no random chance of getting the extra resist.
If I wanted to overcap 3 resists, I'd just have to use a level 3 refinement instead of a level 2 with a chance of a 3rd, or a level 4 that guarantee me the 3 resists, but with the chance of walking out with an unwanted resist modded...
If a refinement really has its own code to determine its random chance, that actually means the randomness is determined when it's spawned. Like I said in my reply to Smoot, there is no reason whatsoever.

I did the same thing in trying to get the number of mods I wanted. Even if protection, hardening and fortification are truly 30% to get the "bonus" mod (and I still maintain those odds are nowhere near actual), the odds are simply better to use the next higher level. Especially with invulnerability, which is hard enough to combine into, let alone find, you can lay odds it'll be equivalent to fortification with the bonus mod.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If a refinement really has its own code to determine its random chance, that actually means the randomness is determined when it's spawned. Like I said in my reply to Smoot, there is no reason whatsoever.

I did the same thing in trying to get the number of mods I wanted. Even if protection, hardening and fortification are truly 30% to get the "bonus" mod (and I still maintain those odds are nowhere near actual), the odds are simply better to use the next higher level. Especially with invulnerability, which is hard enough to combine into, let alone find, you can lay odds it'll be equivalent to fortification with the bonus mod.
It could make some sense if the calculation is somehow too complex, so they did so to try to save CPU cycles on the servers.
It is still stupid and a poor coding solution, yes. Would be more productive to just drop the random part altogether if that is the case. And as stated, would make the whole system more intuitive.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It could make some sense if the calculation is somehow too complex, so they did so to try to save CPU cycles on the servers.
It is still stupid and a poor coding solution, yes. Would be more productive to just drop the random part altogether if that is the case. And as stated, would make the whole system more intuitive.
Nearly the same number of CPU cycles will be used one way or another, and they would be minimal anyway for these basic calculations. So it comes down to lines of code, and a subroutine is far more efficient than adding a script to each item. It also works whether a refinement gives a fixed number of mods or has any randomness. Duplicating actual code for each refinement makes no sense at all.

I never found the system that bad. It's the difficulty of obtaining refinements and the poor chance of a bonus mod that frustrate me.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Likewise, I enjoy it and use it whenever possible. But the system clearly suffers from over designing.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would like to see Kegs stackable (of the same properties/amounts in each keg of course) would cut down on storage of a million kegs I have.
if at least Greation Cure would be always the same Greater Cure, if you pull bottles from different kegs ... and if you could empty a keg to a stack of bottles in one click ... this would already help.