• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is the Closure of WAR good or bad for UO?

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This really isn't a spiel or rant, but with the announcement of WAR shutting down do you feel that this will be good or bad for UO?

Personally I think it could go either way, but I'm leaning toward bad for UO. Possible ways that it could be good for UO would be is if some of the resources that were being used for WAR were diverted over to the UO team. However, I think what is more likely to happen is that any joint resources that were being used for WAR that UO was also allowed to use will be closed off as well.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I almost posted the exact same thing. I don't know what to make of it at all really. I agree with what you say, be good if the resources did get diverted over to UO. However I see pretty much daily posts about people having issues with account management, players trying to return and cannot due to the billing system etc and nothing seems to change here. People are trying to pay and they simply cannot. This also must be a big loss of revenue for UO. I really hope it doesn't follow the same fate as WAR.

I also noticed that with the new publish they released some vet titles, only going up to 18 years. We are currently on 16 years. Heres a controversial one, do we only have 2 years of UO left?

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought the same, as I read about WAR today... but my first thought really was:
"Does this mean we are getting rid of the WAR pictures on the Account Management of UO now?"

Sorry, I'm just a silly old veteran! Bear with me! :D

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also noticed that with the new publish they released some vet titles, only going up to 18 years. We are currently on 16 years. Heres a controversial one, do we only have 2 years of UO left?
And does it mean that we will get nothing new the next two birthdays? (Sorry, couldnt resist ... :D )

I had a look at the camelot herald. I would assume that DAOC might be the next in line to be closed. But no new news on that there. Only the same stuff about problems with the mythic master account management that we have, too. As long as Ea doesnt close DAOC I guess, we havent that much to fear about.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhhhh just read the article. The licence ran out with games workshop. Mythic didn't pull the plug on it.

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I thought the same, as I read about WAR today... but my first thought really was:
"Does this mean we are getting rid of the WAR pictures on the Account Management of UO now?"

Sorry, I'm just a silly old veteran! Bear with me! :D
The moment I heard this I thought the same thing. Perhaps they will start putting UO up on that screen again :D

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I had thought about getting into Warhammer miniatures before I came back to UO. Apparently, Games Workshop tried to sell Warhammer Miniatures to whoever does Monopoly? Hasboro I think.

I didn't want to invest that amount of money in a game that was about to go through such a major change.