• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is nothing worth killing for loot left in the game?

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For example, they nerfed swoop loot, then beefed him and did not increase loot. They nerfed peerless and champ loot. They did beef doom loot, but took that away in about a week.

It seems that everything worth having has to be crafted or won (arty systems). Nothing seems worth the time or effort anymore to just kill for good loot.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Maybe Flutters might yield good loot. *winks*

T

Trevelyan

Betrayers for coloured books!
Invasion forces for some nice coloured armours
And most things for gold, it becomes sort of a reflex to loot stuff now for me like that, but yeah I agree; I don't ever check armour or weapons and peerless isn't really a solo thing - more fun with other people anyway.

Maybe if everything in the game could have a chance at dropping a random thing - as in - really random. A simple wooden chair or something, or a "rare" graphic of sorts - remember when ratmen used to drop those statues? Thats what made them worth killing... or ice serpents for glacial staves. But the value or usefulness of these things means it isnt really worth killing them.

Now im thinking.. I miss the glacial staff stuff - the nice sounds they made! And when youd get daemon bone to just look cool... or even just kill NPCs to get black sandals. Killing "normal" things now just doesnt yield anything for me, personally, and I would imagine the same would go for a lot of other players. Skill gain, player level has developed faster than the loot that things have - I dont even know where I was with what I was saying now but tl;dr - loot system needs a reworking

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nope, only loot now seems to be "raw materials"...

Either gold and gems for money, scrap magic items to recycle, some creatures have other resources like reagents, ore, fertile dirt, bone items to cut into useable bone, hides, scales, junk "potions" to "drink" for the bottles.

If you're going to loot anything, might as well consider the "raw material" value of the item more than the general "power level".

K

Kiminality

It's natural that, the more you progress in a game, the better things have to be.
If you're at "endgame", then you're going to have a hard time getting anything good enough for you.
The same goes for things to sell. When you're counting your mil checks, a 10k item's hardly worth the effort. But, if you're not at a stage where you need to keep your gold in checks, then a 10k item's nice.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game has a horrible loot system. The crafting system isn't much better. They both need to be completely rewritten and made to work with each other. Team after team has come through and patched up and started new trends on these systems to lead them both nowhere.

The problem with loot is so deep it's nearly un-fixable. Loot needs to be dependent on the creature killed and not the facet it's killed in or it's intensity. Intensity has to be the worst loot system ever created. RNG + Intensity = Total Crap.

In short, no.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For example, they nerfed swoop loot, then beefed him and did not increase loot. They nerfed peerless and champ loot. They did beef doom loot, but took that away in about a week.

It seems that everything worth having has to be crafted or won (arty systems). Nothing seems worth the time or effort anymore to just kill for good loot.
There was a stealth nerf on Peerless loot 1.5 - 2 years ago, and Strongboxes maybe 1.5 - 1 year ago. In comparison now, loot is poor in terms of intensities even with >2000 luck. You still can get good items, but maybe one per fortnight compared to one each day. In terms of reward systems this is bad design, because if subscribers dont feel they are making progress, they leave.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a powerful debate to be had here: should the item endgame be:

(1) flat (eventually everyone gets access to the same maxed out gear in a finite amount of time ... so eventually hunting has no purpose except replacement)
(2) diminishing (you can always find something better, but it takes longer and longer to get tiny improvements ... so hunting is always valuable, but feels less and less valuable)
(3) inflating (every so often loot is boosted so that you always keep finding better things ... hunting always feels valuable, but the game mechanics get more and more stressed and the numbers get more and more silly-looking)

There is no such thing as a perfect answer to this question.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surely this is almost inevitable? In the risk-free environment of most shards, when anyone comes into possession of something it is effectively permanent as it can be insured (barring rare reported bugs and oversight). There is no outlet for items apart from people quitting the game. I couldn't believe it when, in a recent thread, someone stated that plain Scrapper's are almost worthless.

F

Fox (Europa)

Gold is so cheap to buy for $ because of the total dominance of the script gold farmers. This means the price of items are madly inflated and you can now only afford any of the good stuff by buying the gold because otherwise you would have to farm gold from loot for the next 10 years to afford a decent item.

There's only one thing left worth looting and that's jewellery and it won't be long before imbuing jewellery makes that worthless too.

Fox

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
loot system needs a reworking
Truest words ever spoken.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't make any difference. Insurance makes an item "end game". You can't stop that. You can only keep ramping up the power of items.

A dumb design decision if you ask me.

E

Evilminion

As someone already pointed out, there are several different ways for games to handle the loot/risk/experience/time equation. But there's also the fact that everyone has a different definition of "good" loot. :D Personally, I'm a decorator, so I treasure otherwise-worthless pixels that would look good in somebody's house. If I was fighting an event monster and it died and dropped a huge pile of stuff, a la the Strangers, and among that stuff were artifact-level weapons, PvP-worthy armor, serious stat jewelry, powerscrolls, and a smattering of ethies, I'd be the person leaping past the entire mess to breathlessly grab the small marble pedestal it also happened to drop.

All they'd have to do is put rare, random deco items that you can't otherwise steal or craft on monsters around the world, and change 'em out every few months, and by god, I'd be farming everything in this game for another decade-plus.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what happens unfortunately when we can acquire high end arties and use things like POF and repairs to keep them forever. If we have uber suits, we need even higher end stuff on corpses, otherwise it's worthless to us. If we run vendors selling looted items, we can only expect sales on items that are really good. But yet nobody wants to have decaying items, or to leave their high end arties at home. I don't think you can have it both ways.

Perhaps with imbuing, some items will be worth taking home to recycle them, but once the initial rush is done when imbuing arrives, I'm sure the complaints will resume.

What makes me wonder is that considering the level of the items being thrown into game, how much more uber can we get before EA run out of godliness to hand out? I'm guessing caps will start raising in the future to give us higher levels to aim for. Crazy...

Wenchy

S

Satanatra

Erm - im kinda surprised that no one has mentioned this so i may be completely wrong here... but...

isnt the new imbueing system specifically designed towards getting people hunting monters again? From what i understand, we will be able to unravel items for some sort of powder that can be used to imbue new items. You wont be able to imbue anything that was made from special resources ie barbed leather or val ingots etc. What else is there then but monster loot?

I imagine that everyone will be out there hunting high end monsters again, not because they ll drop the godly stuff we want, but because we ll be able to unravel it and get the exact item we want.

Kill two birds with one stone:
1) get people hunting again
2) get crafters crafting again

5% Luck

Erm - im kinda surprised that no one has mentioned this so i may be completely wrong here... but...

isnt the new imbueing system specifically designed towards getting people hunting monters again? From what i understand, we will be able to unravel items for some sort of powder that can be used to imbue new items. You wont be able to imbue anything that was made from special resources ie barbed leather or val ingots etc. What else is there then but monster loot?

I imagine that everyone will be out there hunting high end monsters again, not because they ll drop the godly stuff we want, but because we ll be able to unravel it and get the exact item we want.

Kill two birds with one stone:
1) get people hunting again
2) get crafters crafting again
Since ive read about imbueing I started using plain iron instead of gold to craft my runic weapons and I may even down the line burn a few b-kits with plain leather just for a starter piece to later imbue and(hopfuly) enhance.

Its the jewlery atm that needs hunting. If at some point I can imbue a 4-5 mods 80-100% intensity jewlery set OMG the things that will do to this game!. Imagine 5X15X2. Thats 150 SP and IMO is ridicules. As of now I alrdy infringe terribly on the skill cap via skill jewlery an if they gave me a Choice! ugg every char I have would need to be re-tooled!

I dont think jewelry should be on the imbuing lists even though im a skill bonus junky. It leaves me with nothing to do in the long run!

I still hunt jewelry as end game content. I can always find a better piece of jewelry and since Ive all the artis and armor i want its just this one ledge of luck that keeps me hunting and looting.

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to see loot appropriate to the monster hunted, like in the days of skeletons dropping bone armour.
It is always fun to find the odd tinkered items on ratmen and the food on titans, and to have to go to Tokuno to get samurai or ninja armour, and Juka bows on Juka lords.
However it would be great to return to opposing groups dropping slayer weapons, and then to find ogres dropping macing weapons, ratmen archers dropping bows, maybe magic users dropping leather or mage armour... That is, themed drops which suit the monster and make the world a more coherent place.

C

Cazzador

As someone already pointed out, there are several different ways for games to handle the loot/risk/experience/time equation. But there's also the fact that everyone has a different definition of "good" loot. :D Personally, I'm a decorator, so I treasure otherwise-worthless pixels that would look good in somebody's house. If I was fighting an event monster and it died and dropped a huge pile of stuff, a la the Strangers, and among that stuff were artifact-level weapons, PvP-worthy armor, serious stat jewelry, powerscrolls, and a smattering of ethies, I'd be the person leaping past the entire mess to breathlessly grab the small marble pedestal it also happened to drop.

All they'd have to do is put rare, random deco items that you can't otherwise steal or craft on monsters around the world, and change 'em out every few months, and by god, I'd be farming everything in this game for another decade-plus.
I couldn't Agree More.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
isnt the new imbueing system specifically designed towards getting people hunting monters again?
It's going to be interesting to see how imbuing plays out. There will certainly be a major rush at the beginning for a few months, but what will the endgame look like?

People are presumably going to have close to maxed out gear ... but it will eventually wear out (monsters that do damage to equipment will become a lot more frightening). If a maxed-out suit can get you the ingrediants you need to make a replacement faster than the suit wears out then eventually we'll have everyone who plays the peerless/epic tier of hunting in maxed-out gear. If getting a completely maxed out item is essentially impossible, then there will be some equilibrium less than being maxed out (or people may decide that unpowderable equipment is too much of treadmill).

(however, SA is still a ways away)

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Loot is a matter of perception. I consider now as crap what I would have kept years ago.

The reason is inherent to an item game where items do not decay. People tend to keep and sell only the top end items while the devs have to introduce, now and then, new items. But of course these items, if they want to have any succcess, need to be attractive ones. In the process, the loot you find on monsters and in treasure chests is indirectly nerfed.

S

Salty Pete

Loot is a matter of perception. I consider now as crap what I would have kept years ago.

The reason is inherent to an item game where items do not decay. People tend to keep and sell only the top end items while the devs have to introduce, now and then, new items. But of course these items, if they want to have any succcess, need to be attractive ones. In the process, the loot you find on monsters and in treasure chests is indirectly nerfed.
Exactly. This also helps to widen the gap between the new/casual player and the power gaming veteren player. Any wonder why new players rarely stay?

L

Lord Kynd

Gold is so cheap to buy for $ because of the total dominance of the script gold farmers. This means the price of items are madly inflated and you can now only afford any of the good stuff by buying the gold because otherwise you would have to farm gold from loot for the next 10 years to afford a decent item.

There's only one thing left worth looting and that's jewellery and it won't be long before imbuing jewellery makes that worthless too.

Fox
i don't buy that story for a second..
sure a few people might have scripted some gold, but the overall thing here is running out of things to do, and the value of having 'everything'.

and as you say, imbuing items.. once the novelty of that wears off then what ?
i suppose you will come and shout that 'scripters' ruined that also ?

i am so glad i am not on the scripter kick.
let others do what they do, take more pride in knowing you don't have to do what they do.