• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it not possible to gain from a pet tamed by another player now?

Old Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all,

It used to be that two tamers working together could make their lives easier. The lower skill tamer would tame a creature and release it, which would increase it's taming difficulty for the higher skilled tamer.

It seems like now I cannot gain at all from a creature tamed by another player... did something change I should be aware of? Is there an easier way to gain in taming now?

Thanks!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anything has changed with taming gains, this is the first I've heard of it. I haven't seen any mention of a change in the publish notes or heard anyone talk about it. So it's either a very sneaky change or a bug... But we need to rule out anything in the "user error" category first :D

You've probably checked some/most/all of the following but it's always worth double checking:

Firstly, check you have skill points available and taming is set to raise. Obvious I know, but I've caught myself out with that at least a few times now so just be sure.

Second, be sure that you haven't tamed the creatures before.

Thirdly, be aware that someone else might have tamed and released those creatures before you and your friend arrived. Which will bump up their skill requirement even further. Possibly too high for you to gain effectively. To be absolutely sure, kill the spawn when you arrive and start with fresh ones. Ask your friend to "tag" the names of his/her tames too if poss, and kill them after you tame the second time.

Lastly, just check the taming difficulty of your chosen creature is correct for giving you gains after your friend tames it. This page gives you a list of tamable critters and their difficulty as pretames too. You can get gains at anywhere from 40-90% success, 50% being ideal. But don't go below 30%

Let us know if you get those gains going again or if you need more help :)

Wenchy

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what skill are you at and what are you trying to make more difficult so you can get a better chance at a gain?

One of the best ways i tamed and got some extra out of it was the savage ridgbacks in the camp in ish. Put on savage kin paint, tame them and let the savages kill them, Cut them up for hide and and you can get gains and piles of spined leather.

when you get higher nowadays it is easier to just use jewelry to get to 120 My SW tamer only has lok 105 real taming. it lets me use the skill points eleswhere.

Saria of Atl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had an issue a few weeks ago where I thought I wasn't getting any taming gains. I had returned to uo from a 5 year absence and thought surely I must be due for some gains. turns out, my options were set to default settings, which only show skill increases when they increase by 1.0, not .1, so I was getting gains, it just wasn't notifying me on screen. may not be the same issue you're having, but hey, you never know. good luck.

Old Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I gained all the way to 102.2 on bulls, and now it's just stuck there, despite a lot more taming. So I tried pretaming them for a long time, and that didn't give me a gain either. I'll do ridgebacks once the area is open again, but at the moment this is about it.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your other option is to tame cu sidhe and work the spawn while you get gains. You'll want to put on some jewels etc to boost up your chances of taming quickly, but I find it's a good way to get some gold and pets I can see (esp if you get a blaze as I did) and it's just a lot more interesting than ridgebacks at that level :)

If you've got other skills to train too, it might help with those. Especially things like barding.

I did hit a wall around that skill level with my first tamer, hence why I can't look at ridgebacks again lol. Could just be that or the gains hamster is being particularly stingy with you. I'd try cu's. I often just grabbed my GGS and it was optional if I wanted to spend a few hours with cu sidhe. But those became my PvM as well as training taming. I used to log out in the cave bit outside and then I could do a full taming session or just grab my GGS if I wanted.

Wenchy

Wenchy