• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it known how pet stats work?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Specifically str bonus to damage. Is it the same as humans? Is there a cap?

Just wondering how much effort I should put into getting pets with good stats.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Specifically str bonus to damage. Is it the same as humans? Is there a cap?

Just wondering how much effort I should put into getting pets with good stats.[/QUOTE

It work in the same way but since pets have 0 di + tactics or if you use 5 pack instinct pets 100di and humans can have 300 di + tactics so it does not matter all that much most of the time

In my opinion it only matters if there is a huge gap between max and min str on that type of pet or if you use pack instinct pets

For example a nightmare have min 496 str and max 525 str the 525 nightmare will only do minimal more dmg than the 496 one so i would not bother to look at str on a mare without even doing the math and see how much the difference realy is :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to look at more of an overall picture with my pets, unless there is a glaringly obvious weakness. If it's a pet that has few HPs even at its maximum, then I will go for HPs at max as a starting point. Otherwise an already squishy pet is going to peg it before we even get to the spawn. If any stat falls below the average for a pet, it tends to be a no. But otherwise I look at the resists, stats and skills on a pet and depending what sort of pet it is, whether I think it's good for whatever I need it for. If a weakness in one area is probably covered elsewhere then I'll tame it.

Then there's the "Wenchy's bored now" method of pet selection - where you tame until you're sick of the sight of something, and the best pet you have at that point is the one you keep. Warts and all. Then if you ever stop having dreams about taming cu sidhe or whatever, you can go back and have another go :)

Wenchy

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is for pack critters, but the ones I want to tame don't exceed 125 str, so it's not important I guess. I was just wondering how much worse dire wolves would be than hell hounds or frenzies, and from my caculations, it's all basically the same. Obviously they have the lowest hp of the group, so that's probably what I should focus on most. They do have the slight advantage (very slight) of having SOME cold resist anyway, while the others have none. Of course if someone withers a group of any of them, well that's pretty much game over. :( I sure wish the resists bonus of magic resist skill applied to pets. Would make pack animals a little more sturdy.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is for pack critters, but the ones I want to tame don't exceed 125 str, so it's not important I guess. I was just wondering how much worse dire wolves would be than hell hounds or frenzies, and from my caculations, it's all basically the same. Obviously they have the lowest hp of the group, so that's probably what I should focus on most. They do have the slight advantage (very slight) of having SOME cold resist anyway, while the others have none. Of course if someone withers a group of any of them, well that's pretty much game over. :( I sure wish the resists bonus of magic resist skill applied to pets. Would make pack animals a little more sturdy.
I think u made an error if you got almost the same Damage for all of them a pack of 5 170 str frenzies does about 10 hp more a hit than 5 150 str hell hounds and they do about 10 hp more a hit than dire wolfs

So frenzies and dire wolfs is 20 hp a hit different that add up fast in a longer fight

remember that it is 5 pets and the pack dmg bonus is not from the base dmg but from your total dmg/pet so it work like slayers

At average base dmg 14 vs 0 resist

frenzie 78,33 x 5
Hell hounds 76,65 x 5
Dire wolf 74,55 x 5

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just to clarify if someone reading my reply to uvtha and thinking those numbers look high

When using pack instict animals it is all about the numbers of pets
the numbers in my reply to uvtha was from using 5 pets

2 pets 25% 3 50% 4 75% 5 100% bonus

When using a single pet base dmg 14 vs 0 resist

Frenzie 39,165
hell hound 38,325
dire wolf 37,275

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think u made an error if you got almost the same Damage for all of them a pack of 5 170 str frenzies does about 10 hp more a hit than 5 150 str hell hounds and they do about 10 hp more a hit than dire wolfs

So frenzies and dire wolfs is 20 hp a hit different that add up fast in a longer fight

remember that it is 5 pets and the pack dmg bonus is not from the base dmg but from your total dmg/pet so it work like slayers

At average base dmg 14 vs 0 resist

frenzie 78,33 x 5
Hell hounds 76,65 x 5
Dire wolf 74,55 x 5
I guess I don't get what numbers you are using. Since they all have the same base damage, and have the same stats otherwise and using the same calculations for str as humans max str frenzies do like 2 more damage a hit than dires.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess I don't get what numbers you are using. Since they all have the same base damage, and have the same stats otherwise and using the same calculations for str as humans max str frenzies do like 2 more damage a hit than dires.
I do not know why but i think you might aply the pack intinct to the base dmg

base dmg 11-17 i use the average 14
It is the same way as humans but calculate them with 0 DI and threat the pack instinct like a slayer

Tactics anatomy str = Y

Yx2

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not know why but i think you might aply the pack intinct to the base dmg

base dmg 11-17 i use the average 14
It is the same way as humans but calculate them with 0 DI and threat the pack instinct like a slayer

Tactics anatomy str = Y

Yx2
Yeah, I don't know. To be clear, I'm not arguing that frenzies are stronger, just that I don't really understand why. I'm gonna use dire wolves regardless cause they fit my character better. :D

Plus the upshot is that I only need to pay attention to hp when taming, as the stats are all under cap and resists are feeble, heh.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I don't know. To be clear, I'm not arguing that frenzies are stronger, just that I don't really understand why. I'm gonna use dire wolves regardless cause they fit my character better. :D

Plus the upshot is that I only need to pay attention to hp when taming, as the stats are all under cap and resists are feeble, heh.

Dire wolfs will work realy good and alot of people will turn theire head in amazement when you are out hunting with them that I am sure of I stil have my bear family that i use to take out and play with from time to time 1 black bear 1 brown bear one polar bear and 2 grizzlys they are a lot of fun :)

I m not arguing anything realy was only curious why you did not get the same result as I did
Nw I will not be nagging you anymore if you do not like it

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dire wolfs will work realy good and alot of people will turn theire head in amazement when you are out hunting with them that I am sure of I stil have my bear family that i use to take out and play with from time to time 1 black bear 1 brown bear one polar bear and 2 grizzlys they are a lot of fun :)

I m not arguing anything realy was only curious why you did not get the same result as I did
Nw I will not be nagging you anymore if you do not like it
Oh no no, I was just saying I'm not being contrary, just trying to figure it out. :p