• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is gold selling in WAR illegal?

M

Mitzlplik_SP

I`m sorry I`m being lazy by not lookin up the info myself,but I just wanna log in and play. I ask because of the spam I`m getting in private tells from someone trying to sell war gold 13 bux for 10.I put them on ignore only to have a different idiot spam me again within a short time. I can only hope it`s against ToS,the spamming of tells I`m recieving is starting to become borderline harassment since adding them to ignore does no good.

If gold selling is against WAR`s ToS I`ll be making my first report to a GM or CSR or whatever they are called in WAR.:D

Skycapp

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is

Gold selling is Highly against the WAR TOS and if its able to be proven through advertisement or other such the CSRs will instantly ban those accounts.

Use the ingame reporting system to report those that do it. Most of the time the GMs are pretty quick to pick up on them, but if they are slammed it gives them a means to go back and look at teh logs.

Skycapp

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And FYI to anyone that happens to look at this later...

It is also against the Stratics ROC so don't do it.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Kewl,thanks for the intel.I`ve reported him with as much info as possible,site names he`s promoting and the 3 different names I`ve seen so far spammin that trash.Any future tells I get will result in the same action from me.

I`m glad that WAR is against the selling of game stuff for RL cash and hopefully they will enforce it with great zeal.

B

Beele

Yes it is

Gold selling is Highly against the WAR TOS and if its able to be proven through advertisement or other such the CSRs will instantly ban those accounts.

Use the ingame reporting system to report those that do it. Most of the time the GMs are pretty quick to pick up on them, but if they are slammed it gives them a means to go back and look at teh logs.
Ummm... "pretty quick" is an interesting euphemism. I report gold spammers as soon as I get a message from one (btw, the best way to do this is to report it as harassment along with the spammer's name and what web site they are spamming for), but I rarely seem them get banned within a 4 hour window. For a game that has GMs available 24 hours a day, that strikes me as downright lackadaisacal. The ONLY way to beat the gold spammers is to have a mechanism that utterly destroys their ability to use an entire account in less then 30 minutes, since they can rarely make any meaningful income if they are having to buy accounts that fast. Anything else, such as blocking messages that include known gold selling sites, while important, is a band-aid. On Sea of Claws there is one spammer that is spamming for two different gold sites (and at least 3 different gold spammer sites being advertised)!

What blows my mind on this issue is both Mythic AND EA have extensive experience in this area and ZERO attention was paid to dealing with it at launch. It is, without a doubt, my largest disappointment with the game.

What would I have done:
1) I would have made a chat system where player names are "clickable" to pull up a menu of options, such as /t, /partyinvite, /warbandinvite, /addtofriends, /ignore, /report, /reportspammer. Being able to click on a name to report spammers is important, because most people are too lazy to go through the process of creating a full TOS violation report.
2) If /reportspammer is selected, the name would automatically go into a special /ignore list that is in addition to the normal /ignore list and the text associated with the /reportspammer is put into a server side file for tracking purposes.
3) Once a minimum number of unique reports (20-100) /reportspammer within a certain amount of time (30 minutes, typically), that toon is silenced until a GM can check the logs. If it is a spammer, the account can be banned. If it isn't a spammer, and it looks like people abusing /reportspammer to silence another player (such as a guild leader during RvR battle), appropriate actions can be taken against the people doing the reporting. Once an account is banned or cleared, the names are removed from the special /ignore list so if that name gets re-used by someone else they won't be wondering why no one answers them.

This may be similar to what other games are doing, but I don't know of any that go that far.

Whaddya think?

M

Mitzlplik_SP

I`m not going to complain one bit.I`ve reported 6 names in 4 days and tonight not once have I gotten spammed with a gold seller trying to sell his wares.
Bravo WAR CSR`s great job.I`m used to real slow if any GM response in UO.So to see someone dealth with so fast...even if it did take more than 4 hours is VERY appreciated.

I been on for 3 hours now and totally spam free.....Freekin luv it.:bowdown:

Skycapp

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is on the official site. Join me in watching it grow and while I laugh at the ******* gold farmers.

B

Beele

This is on the official site. Join me in watching it grow and while I laugh at the ******* gold farmers.
I`m with ya brother! :lol:
I am with you, too. But I am wondering why it is that the gold sellers are getting accounts killed on other servers but not mine. I see the big message that pops up (it is a game-wide announcement that goes to all servers), and while that message is still on my screen I am getting spams. In the time it has taken me to write this message, I have gotten 2 spams, and I am not a slow typist!

Damn, make that three. I am tempted to start making a log of how often I am getting spams, but I am afraid I won't have any time to play if I do that.

Please, GMs, give Sea of Claws a little more loving!!!!

Skycapp

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
consider making yourself hidden in the social menu. That's how they find you to PM you with the spam.

I'm not sure how the GMs are doing it. I assume they are going server by server based on population because Volkmar hasn't been all that bad so far. At least for me.

B

Beele

consider making yourself hidden in the social menu. That's how they find you to PM you with the spam.

I'm not sure how the GMs are doing it. I assume they are going server by server based on population because Volkmar hasn't been all that bad so far. At least for me.
Being on a Medium population server has its' benefits... unfortunately one of them is not "ease of finding groups". As much as the simple solution of hiding in plain sight is a pleasurable idea, it would ensure that I would almost never get asked to group by anyone who can't actually see me and reducing the pleasure I derive from the game.

I just can't go there.

BTW, we are now on hour 6 of the same spammer, PLUS we have added a new one from another gold site I had never heard of before- with prices too good to be true.

BTW, for anyone thinking they want to show how stupid they can be and go to one of those sites to buy gold, especially one with prices "too good to be true", be aware that they are frequently companies that scam credit cards far more often then they deliver gold. Just say NO!

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also be especially wary of in-game URLs to gold sites. It is not uncommon for a few of those sites to also have malware... like keystroke loggers and trojans.

When in doubt about any URL mentioned anywhere on the Internet, look the site up in McAfee's SiteAdvisor to see if the site has been analyzed.