• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Meditation] Is focus a direct replacement...

G

gramarye

...for med? I have new char with a pretty tight template. She has med, magery and eval as skills in her skill list. If this char wears a jewel with 10 focus would that mean I could drop med by ten points without compromising her ability to meditate? Hope I made myself clear and thanks in advance for any help.

I

imperterritus

Meditate requires leather armor or mage armor in order to function. Each 10 points of meditate grants one extra point of mana recovery.

Focus works with any armor. Each 20 points of focus grants one extra point of mana recovery. Each 10 points of focus grants one extra point of endurance recovery.

Thus if your primary interest is in mana recovery, and using leather/mage armor is not a problem, meditate is the better choice. You need twice as much focus points to get the same mana benefit offered by meditate. However, meditate does not help endurance recovery at all. Generally, focus is considered the recovery power for warriors, while meditate is considered better for magic users.

Note that if your character is human, the JoaT (Jack of all Trades) racial characteristic gives you an effective 20 points in both meditate and focus. You need more than 20 points of real or jewelled skill in either to get above what JoaT offers for free. Thus it is likely that a jewel offering 10 focus would have no effect at all on your recovery rates.