• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Doom Arties turned back on now?

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im talking about the major arties like the orny or staff of the magi that kinda stuff?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The way they churn out system after system of questionable value rather than make a few simple tweaks to revitalize old fun content is the story of this game's last five years. Even the vaunted classic dungeon revamp died off halfway through amid a torrent of crappy minigames, so they could waste their time on garbage like refinements and VvV.

Aerodice

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can confirm that the original gauntlet artifacts are now dropping. A guild member got leggings of bane on Atlantic on December 10th.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way they churn out system after system of questionable value rather than make a few simple tweaks to revitalize old fun content is the story of this game's last five years. Even the vaunted classic dungeon revamp died off halfway through amid a torrent of crappy minigames, so they could waste their time on garbage like refinements and VvV.
The first of the statement is a bit harsh, but i totally agree with refinements being worthless and even tho I don't PVP, most of the comments I've heard about VvV would indicate a time waste.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The first of the statement is a bit harsh, but i totally agree with refinements being worthless and even tho I don't PVP, most of the comments I've heard about VvV would indicate a time waste.
It's not harsh at all, it's what they need to hear. We have all these content delivery mechanisms in place that are either a decade obsolete or that never caught on in the first place, and which would require only relatively small tweaks in order to become relevant, but instead they squander their resources on nonsense.

Imagine they had never bothered creating Blackthorn's Dungeon but had instead attached those rewards to the Doom Gauntlet and toughed up the bosses a bit, maybe added some new bosses. You'd have people down there doing circuits of the Gauntlet, interacting, rezzing each other, whatever. Even on the really quiet shards you at least couldn't AFK your way to victory since the Gauntlet involves so much running around.

Instead we got Blackthorn's Dungeon, which wasn't nearly as interesting and was mostly just a bonanza for rampant AFK tamer farming. Yawn.

Or take Heartwood quests. We have a complete system in the game for handing out random kill quests with random rewards. Nobody uses it because it rewards nothing but garbage. Almost ten years have gone by and no one has ever come up with a way to make them relevant? There's a complete quest system in the game and it's left to rot rather than being updated into something fun?

But they've got all the time in the world to screw around developing their own crappy vanity projects.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Blackthorn's Dungeon is pretty good. I love the concept of earning the Artie you want one piece at a time. I just think the Minax Artie drop rate is too slow. It should be about half of what the Doom rate was. To my knowledge there are no places in Blackthorn's where you can get massive drops quickly with an average char like you could with the Guardians.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The reward system could have been bolted onto anything.

The Blackthorn dungeon itself was just a series of rooms with static spawners in place and was mostly dominated by AFKers with dragons.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the hags Quest, and the odsidian statue quest. I dont know if they are still around or not. But those are the ones I enjoyed doing back in the day. I did the hags quest for the hangover cure and maps.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the hags Quest, and the odsidian statue quest. I dont know if they are still around or not. But those are the ones I enjoyed doing back in the day. I did the hags quest for the hangover cure and maps.
still there and I do them on the weekend or when I am bored. Good way to get some gold and reagents on siege

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think refinements are a good idea but very poorly executed. I'd love to be able to drop my DCI and raise my resists when fighting spellcaster monsters, where 100 DCI wouldn't make a bit of difference but taking less damage would.

Its just getting the refinements is not worth it at all. Impossible to get a full set.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think refinements are a good idea but very poorly executed. I'd love to be able to drop my DCI and raise my resists when fighting spellcaster monsters, where 100 DCI wouldn't make a bit of difference but taking less damage would.

Its just getting the refinements is not worth it at all. Impossible to get a full set.
Don't say "impossible," when...well, yeah, there's a better probability the plug would be pulled on UO first. I gave up on towns a while back, and now that I've started doing chests again, all I get are junk refinements that will take ages to combine into one invulnerability.