• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Barter Town Headed the Way Of Other PR Towns?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering out loud.

It seems as though the THIEF guild hasn't had anyone of it's players active recently, and only 2 of 9 of the group have been on in the last 30 days.

So what is to happen to Barter town? It looks like they petitioned to have some neat little add-ons added while I was gone (the guild started while I was gone too) by an EM.

Once the guild goes away and the guild house / vendor house drops will the shard add-ons be removed?

What are your thoughts? Should those items be removed? It's not like other PR cities have been memorialized after they left the shard. Hell, I went to the Yew Orc fort the other day and was surprised that there wasn't a single orc home anywhere near the orc's old haunts.

Anywho, curious what the posters here think...la

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well it was The Gooch who campaigned for the Town Banner (the tree and stuff added by mesanna) and once they got it, they saw a brief (very brief) resurgence. Sexington came back, they had like 6 or 7 other people, The Gooch was governor of Minoc and factored heavily into a story line being supported by the EM. Then, everybody stealthed away and we haven't heard a peep from them since. So, who knows if the Town banner gets to stay, the only others are Gilfane's and Safe Haven's. All three were added pretty recently, I wanna say within the past year.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well it was The Gooch who campaigned for the Town Banner (the tree and stuff added by mesanna) and once they got it, they saw a brief (very brief) resurgence. Sexington came back, they had like 6 or 7 other people, The Gooch was governor of Minoc and factored heavily into a story line being supported by the EM. Then, everybody stealthed away and we haven't heard a peep from them since. So, who knows if the Town banner gets to stay, the only others are Gilfane's and Safe Haven's. All three were added pretty recently, I wanna say within the past year.
I wouldn't imagine they would take them down unless somebody petitioned for it to happen. and about the only reason i would think that would happen is that the town faded out, and a new group wanted to form one in the same spot. I do know that they do not automatically take the decorations down when the town fades because that happened to a town on Origin that i was a part of. The town marker is still there, but none of the houses are left but mine, and it was gone for a short period as well.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From reading older posts, it seems there was a bunch of bad blood from Chad's house stealing from Katt...might be they didn't like becoming the black sheep of the shard...la

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
From reading older posts, it seems there was a bunch of bad blood from Chad's house stealing from Katt...might be they didn't like becoming the black sheep of the shard...la
I am totally over that one.. and I still support the thieves of Siege. I certainly hope that Barter Town is able to make a come back! I miss Ladra and Henry the most

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From what I gathered from Ladra's few last posts, he went to a freeshard. Maybe the rest of the THIEF crew did as well.

And as for Chad, I think Chad has thicker skin than leaving over something like that.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't believe a player town need to be bound to a guild, Safe Haven is not bound to a guild but to it's history and the players who live in the town and add Safe Haven in house name.
I believe you can take over Barter Town if you get a group thieves to live there. You may need to speak with our new EM if he still are here

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
There are at least 2 Barter Towns

Barter Town Inc [^__^]
Guild Charter:
Web site:None
Members[18]
Name Title Last Login
ll The Pause Within 7 Days
Henry Swift The Soft Touch Within 30 Days
Vizzerdrix Tickling Lover Within 90 Days
Merlin the great Within 90 Days
Rat Within 90 Days
Torvin Prospect Within 90 Days
Accident Slave Labor Unknown
Ladra The Other Me Unknown
Ladra I'll Take That Unknown
Marshal Unknown
Jareth Prospect Unknown
Dash Jamison I'm In Your Pack Unknown
Tea Leaf I Thank Thee Unknown
Wrectangle The Wild Ride Unknown
Chrissie Prospect Unknown
Hobo Baggins Unknown
Richard Cranium Prospect Unknown
Tramp Prospect Unknown

And

THIEF [^_^]
Guild Charter: Your GP or your HP!
Web site:None
Members[9]
Name Title Last Login
Nightstalker Anti-Social Within 30 Days
WaVy GrAvY I'm a Ninja IRL Within 30 Days
The Gooch Gentleman Scoundrel Unknown
Chad Sexington Retired Thief Unknown
Enkil Visigoth Banana in My Pocket Unknown
Booglerz Sidearm Swiper Unknown
Jose Muerto Watchale Un Ratero Unknown
Tony Emerald I'm not really here Unknown
Cheks Miks Butter Fingers Unknown

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes it was the theft from Katt's house that caused the max exodus of the thieves guild.

Which is unfortunate, considering that this is just a game.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe you can take over Barter Town if you get a group thieves to live there. You may need to speak with our new EM if he still are here
That isn't what I am looking for. I merely posted this question using BT as an example. I date back to when that THIEF guild house location was the guild house for PAG...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes there had been other player towns in that area in the past

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really play on Siege but I do know of Chad. I was in touch with him over Twitter.

After "Episode 0409: The Worst Con in the History of Cons" and the threads on Stratics following this he said "I haven't played for a few months now. not sure if I'll come back this time."

A great shame really as I loved his website and the tales and stories.

PS. He's account is paid up for 6 months as he forgot to cancel the subscription!

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't really play on Siege but I do know of Chad. I was in touch with him over Twitter.

After "Episode 0409: The Worst Con in the History of Cons" and the threads on Stratics following this he said "I haven't played for a few months now. not sure if I'll come back this time."

A great shame really as I loved his website and the tales and stories.

PS. He's account is paid up for 6 months as he forgot to cancel the subscription!
Quitting over something like that is a bit silly. He´s a thief, he´s not supposed to be liked heh.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quitting over something like that is a bit silly. He´s a thief, he´s not supposed to be liked heh.
I don't know if that's the exact reason he quit to be fair. Lets hope not. There might be other reasons we will never know!

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Chat Sexington was a perfect example of how Vet members gang up on and bully newcomers off the shard.

This is the reason that the Vets need to be humbled, and new blood needs to dominate the shard. Otherwise the population cannot grow and flourish.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Now chat was not a newcomers but an returning player but I too feel it sad, when players get pushed of the shard that way.

I would say, nerf stealth, then we would get more balance. So many non PvP'ers do try to control who is allowed on the shard. In old days, bad actions ingame would get you a lot death robes, also trash talk would be punished this way.
Now players are frozen of the shard, that's sad.

What Chad did, was not nice but he is a thief and he did not broke any game rules and he did give a way for Katt to get her stuff back. I'm sure a lot would have been there and supported her with the gold it would cost.

Máybe we have less bad guys, then the shard is ruled of holy people but it's less fun when we have no evil on the shard.

Last edited:

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Now chat was not a newcomers but an returning player but I too feel it sad, when players get pushed of the shard that way.

I would say, nerf stealth, then we would get more balance. So many non PvP'ers do try to control who is allowed on the shard. In old days, bad actions ingame would get you a lot death robes, also trash talk would be punished this way.
Now players are frozen of the shard, that's sad.

What Chad did, was not nice but he is a thief and he did not broke any game rules and he did give a way for Katt to get her stuff back. I'm sure a lot would have been there and supported her with the gold it would cost.

Máybe we have less bad guys, then the shard is ruled of holy people but it's less fun when we have no evil on the shard.
As I remember, you weren't defending Chad at all during that time.

You picked sides with Katt.

Without evil people on the shard, how will anybody learn about true thievery or murderous players? The force needs to be balanced. There needs to be both good and evil on the shard.

Also Katt learned a valuable lesson about who to trust and who not to trust.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Then you remember wrong, I did not pick side! Here is what I said and what Chad copied to his story:

Freja: Katt, there is no shame in accepting stuff/money to help you get your stuff back or stuff to replace it. You do alot for the shard, now let us help you. I understand the ones who say, you should not do the Black jack deal but Chad may make more money from selling your items, so I see nothing wrong with this. We all make mistakes, you learned to be careful who to trust. I learned in the past, to double check, that I remember to Siege Bless my bow after I let Tina repair it. I know all are shotting at Chad now. I don't know him well enough to know if he really are that heartless or he only play with your feelings, like thieves love to do. I still believe it can get a good ending, even when Chad may make some gold from it. We are there for you and many of us do have more gold than we need. Go for it, don't let people tell you what to do, it is Siege and evil RP is allowed and if you can get it back for a mill or two, I gladly help with the gold.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes you said "We are there for you", and by "we" you believe that you speak for the whole shard.

You did not say "Chat we are there for you".

Chad is not the only one who got bullied and exiled from the shard by vet players. But it's time for these instances to change. With a low population, there can be no more of this. The shard needs every member.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This was early before the bulling started.
Think you need to read it again
Helping Katt with the gold to get her items back is not the same as trash talking Chad.
I had Chat visite me too :) http://uothief.com/tales/ep0389.html

Last edited:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but I don't see that stealing from a players house prior to that instance has ever been part of the shards player justice. Way way back there was a player who did some nasty stuff (I really can't remember the specifics) but we players went out of our way to KoS and SoS...I eventually stole a weapon from one of his alts that had his Siege Bless on it (this was back when the SB was in deed form) he cried and cried...but I ended up throwing it in the trash (with screen shots).

He left the shard shortly after. Katt seems like a good kid, but stealing stuff out of her house is not nearly as bad as things other players have gotten away with over the years. LOL, just imagine if Galad had played Siege more than he did (for a brief period of time)...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe some forgot it's a game and not RL and yes, Katt is a good kid.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a game that is a very important part of several folks lives. One example is someone who was a very dear friend of mine. In game an RL she loved UO and it was just a game....... Until a drunk driver T boned her car and left her parylyzed except for her right arm, neck and head. UO became very much her life for the next 5 years of her life. It was her portal to other people, it allowed her to walk and run and do things........ No it was not just a game for her anymore. She died in 2009 from complications from one of many surgeries to relieve some of th pain she described as beyond unbearable. To me UO is a game that I really like and choose to spend my time and resouces playing. For others and yes over the years I have met many others, that UO is the primary interaction with other people and society. I really wish folks would stop with the "Its Just a game." Maybe its just a game for you or me........ Its a lot more than just a game for others.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chat Sexington was a perfect example of how Vet members gang up on and bully newcomers off the shard.

This is the reason that the Vets need to be humbled, and new blood needs to dominate the shard. Otherwise the population cannot grow and flourish.
So you are saying I need to be humbled?? care to explain what exactly I have done to deserve this? I have done everything I can to help anyone and everyone I can. I try to either give or sell really cheap anything that a new person needs. I cannot remember the last time I took money for anything a new person asked for. I do not know what you have against someone just because they have been on the shard for more than a couple of years, but I would really like an explanation . . .

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umm. What? When was there no "evil" on the shard? You mean murderers and thieves? Wow. Sims Online -------->

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thieves rarely (never as far as my memory reaches) are the targets of player justice. I do wish people would stop referring to scamming somebody as a trait of the Thief Profession. Great Thieves on Siege have done capers such as stealing a bride and groom's wedding gift while the ceremony was being performed and applauded for the bravoso!

Thieves don't hack accounts and empty bank boxes. Thieves don't gain the confidence of friends and then steal from their homes. There are no skills necessary for those actions.

Anyways.. I'm noticing some selective memories around here. Thieves were never thought of negatively as far as I can remember. Freja was never around for player run events because of the difference in time zones so I'm not sure when she had all these bad run ins that spoiled events by murderers and thieves. In fact, some of the best times were when events were raided by murderers and/or a thief snuck in to the party.

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
would you all knock it off? You all are rambling about something in the past that doesn't even have to be brought up in the first place. Yes I did something stupid.. I payed for it.. Lesson learned. Quit pointing fingers at each other and rambling on about someone picked sides with who. The point of this thread was just the distinct wonder of... will the decoration be removed in Barter Town? Let's keep to the subject guys.. buncha thread derailers :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
would you all knock it off? You all are rambling about something in the past that doesn't even have to be brought up in the first place. Yes I did something stupid.. I payed for it.. Lesson learned. Quit pointing fingers at each other and rambling on about someone picked sides with who. The point of this thread was just the distinct wonder of... will the decoration be removed in Barter Town? Let's keep to the subject guys.. buncha thread derailers :p
How dare you make this whole thread about you :p

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So you are saying I need to be humbled?? care to explain what exactly I have done to deserve this? I have done everything I can to help anyone and everyone I can. I try to either give or sell really cheap anything that a new person needs. I cannot remember the last time I took money for anything a new person asked for. I do not know what you have against someone just because they have been on the shard for more than a couple of years, but I would really like an explanation . . .
Basically I believe that the veterans are mostly responsible for keeping the shard a very low population and exclude new and returning players, despite one or two vets actually doing "the right thing".

When it comes to thieves and murderous pks, I have to say it, there can't be evil people without Victims. Nobody likes being victimized, dry looted, stolen from, etc. So the shard is double bladed, victimize others and become exiled from the vets, or be the victim and flee away from the shard. It leaves little room for growth.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Basically I believe that the veterans are mostly responsible for keeping the shard a very low population and exclude new and returning players, despite one or two vets actually doing "the right thing".

When it comes to thieves and murderous pks, I have to say it, there can't be evil people without Victims. Nobody likes being victimized, dry looted, stolen from, etc. So the shard is double bladed, victimize others and become exiled from the vets, or be the victim and flee away from the shard. It leaves little room for growth.
As a veteran of this shard Appolyon, what have I done to hurt it or drive people away, I really want to know.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Another point..........

I think that being a good thief includes remaining secretive. Although I like Chad's journal entries and stories, that was a bad idea. If a thief is going to be successful on the shard then the thief needs to keep a low profile however difficult that maybe considering the drama lovers around here. It seems like any bit of drama is enough to start the shard roller coaster for a few months straight.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As a veteran of this shard Appolyon, what have I done to hurt it or drive people away, I really want to know.
You as an individual, probably nothing

But if you want names, then I'd say Freja, Kelmo, Grimlex, and maybe even Bo are responsible for driving away players for different reasons. The vets seem to prefer an empty shard rather than a newcomer coming in and becoming "cock of the walk".

Want more examples???

Diablo was driven off the shard, love him or hate him
Chad Sexington, even though his casino was a great idea, one of the greatest ideas over this last year
York's suicide, apparently there was forum drama and banned posts too
New pkers and player versus players who get stomped and dry looted
Pendragon got bullied out of general chat

The [A] guild was a nice addition of newcomers last year, but they abandoned the shard when the population got really low in the off season

These are just examples off the top of my head, I can start logging them and writing them down if people prefer?

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stop confusing people with Common Sense. It is so Un-Siege like.. XD

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another point..........

I think that being a good thief includes remaining secretive. Although I like Chad's journal entries and stories, that was a bad idea. If a thief is going to be successful on the shard then the thief needs to keep a low profile however difficult that maybe considering the drama lovers around here. It seems like any bit of drama is enough to start the shard roller coaster for a few months straight.
There's no drama necessary though. How is a thief taking something out of your backpack any different than somebody killing you and looting you of the same item? Skills were worked in both scenarios to accomplish the same thing.

Drama occurs when somebody scams somebody and then claims "but I'm a Thief".. which is intolerable

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well I can't think of any drama causing thieves and murderous PKs on the shard right now, can you???

It looks like the forces of "Good" finally won over, but, where's the dramaaaaaaaa?

I know that's what the vets secretly want, lots and lots of juicy delicious dramaaaaaa.

No evil people, no drama, that's my point. And at this rate, there may not be an influx of new evil players anytime soon. So even the vets may grow bored for once, which to me, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But if you want names, then I'd say Freja, Kelmo, Grimlex, and maybe even Bo are responsible for driving away players for different reasons. The vets seem to prefer an empty shard rather than a newcomer coming in and becoming "cock of the walk".
You got bigger huevos than I for calling people out. But, good point. It seems those of us who have returned and would love to see the bustling active server that Siege once was with ample player run towns, events, raids and pvp where ever we could find it... are slapped in the face with a brick wall called "Things have changed.. live with it".

I will however say on Bo's behalf.. he's always been a killer.. he hasn't changed.. the server did. He just happen to stick around.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You as an individual, probably nothing

Want more examples???

Diablo was driven off the shard, love him or hate him
Chad Sexington, even though his casino was a great idea, one of the greatest ideas over this last year
York's suicide, apparently there was forum drama and banned posts too
New pkers and player versus players who get stomped and dry looted
Pendragon got bullied out of general chat

The [A] guild was a nice addition of newcomers last year, but they abandoned the shard when the population got really low in the off season

These are just examples off the top of my head, I can start logging them and writing them down if people prefer?
My whole point of these posts is this, you are blaming all veterans for the ills of the shard. This is a slap in the face to veterans that attempt to do what they can to promote and grow the shard, I am not saying there aren't veterans in the category you describe, but for you to put us all in that category feels like a slap in the face to me. If you have a beef with certain individuals by all means mention them, just please try to remember that no all veterans are bad.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You're right, but when I do accuse veterans of this, I mean 80% of the veterans, 4 or 5 veterans are either keeping the shard population down, or outright hurting the shard by forcing new players off the shard one way or another.

It seems to me, I repeat, that a majority of the vets prefer an empty lifeless shard with them "in charge", rather than a booming, growing shard, with them relegated to the sideline. This is merely my opinion of course