• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Interview with Richard garriott

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to be honest, I like the work Vanous does, but when he gets to the part where he is trying to turn Ultimate Collector into a dating service he goes a little overboard for my liking. Fun interview though, I could listen to RG explain concepts all day long.

How old is Vanous, like mid-30s or so? Pretty impressive resume. Sort of surprising he doesn't know about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but then again I have too many relatives from New York not to know.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to be honest, I like the work Vanous does, but when he gets to the part where he is trying to turn Ultimate Collector into a dating service he goes a little overboard for my liking. Fun interview though, I could listen to RG explain concepts all day long.

How old is Vanous, like mid-30s or so? Pretty impressive resume. Sort of surprising he doesn't know about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but then again I have too many relatives from New York not to know.
George is Canadian, so anything US Thanksgiving-related isn't going to be something he's intimately familiar with ;)

And I fully agree about Richard; he's inspiring to listen to.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Many of his ideas on the interview don't seem all that revolutionary. Reminded me of Yoville, Zynga's first claim to fame 4 years ago.

Playing Ultimate Collector now on FB, and... meh.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure there's really all that many revolutionary ideas that can be done these days. At least not practically, successfully, or with current hardware constraints.
I think where the "revolutionary" lies, if it lies anywhere, is in the implementation of unrevolutionary ideas into a whole.
The way I'm reading it is that whereas in Ultima Online there's a lot of emergent behaviour that the game allows, he wants to create a game with a wider spectrum of "game".
In UO, the game mechanics for PvE are broader than the mechanics for crafting, and then for things like rares collecting it's little more than an emergent behavior which can happen in the game.
My take on Richard's plans is that he wants all corners of his game to have "game".

Really, I only came here to update the thread that Part Two is here: An Interview with Richard Garriott – Part Two - Stratics
And the discussion's in the same place: An Interview with Richard Garriott | Stratics Forums

And curse whatever it is that's substituting my "-"