• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Internet in Remote Area's

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering, I moved to a more remote area where DSL, and Cable are just not an option.

What options does a player have in this case?

Dial up: You can play UO but you can't pvp worth crap, you can basically be a merchant, and work chars...

Satalight Connection: Hear horrible things about these... upload being worse then dial up ... can you play uo on it?

Any suggestions would be nice... let me know if you currently play on Dailup, or satalight... and what limitations you have found you have.

Thanks.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Just wondering, I moved to a more remote area where DSL, and Cable are just not an option.

What options does a player have in this case?

Dial up: You can play UO but you can't pvp worth crap, you can basically be a merchant, and work chars...

Satalight Connection: Hear horrible things about these... upload being worse then dial up ... can you play uo on it?

Any suggestions would be nice... let me know if you currently play on Dailup, or satalight... and what limitations you have found you have.

Thanks.
Satellite is worse than dialup. Check and see if you can get wireless internet. You put a receiver on your roof and the nearest tower beams your data back and forth. As long as the trees are blowing the right direction, it beats the heck out of dialup or satellite.

L

love2winalot

Yea, wireless internet is the way to go. My inlaws live in a small province, "Morong" in the philippines, and it works fine. We did however pay and had an antenna/booster built in the yard.

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep wireless would be my answer too sprint offers a neat service so do most other major cell carriers.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to be testing what it was like to play over rural wireless this weekend, but unfortunately a rather nasty cold has made a mess of my holiday plans.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you get a Cell phone signal at your house? I've played UO using a Verizon Wireless and an AT&T Cellular Modem (G3) and the game was definitely playable.

J

Jackal_of_Baja

Suck it up and use your dial up! It hones your pvp skills all the more!! Thats what a old freind once told me while he blazed away on his cable. :p

J

jelinidas

We use Sprint wireless aircards. I run one on my laptop and the other is a usb style that is hooked up to a wireless router. One desktop, 2 more laptops, and the Xbox 360 connect to that. No problems playing, even when everything is running. NOW...I'm not at all saying that the connection is awesome, but my 17 yr old PvP's with the best of em. A lot faster then dial up for sure. Sprint wireless runs about 60 bucks a month. Well worth it as we also have no other options. Boonies. When my contract is up, we will drop my aircard and run everything off the router. Tested and we all ran fine. 4 accts.

R

Radun

tethering cellular internet is usually prohibitively expensive...

T

Teeshy

I play on 28k dialup. Obviously pvp is pretty much out of the question, unless you don't mind dying a lot =P I lag chronically badly if there's too many people on screen, but I find peerless and so forth, with a group of people is fine. I still have a blast playing the game, and I get involved in as much as I can. I probably spend quite a bit more on insurance than the average player ;)

Of course it depends what speed your dialup is too, I would imagine with 56k you'd probably be fine playing 90% of the game =) But then, that is a total guess, as I have no idea what it's like to play on anything other than 28k =P

A

Amathist of PoC

ISDN is an option but I believe telstra are phasing it out but it is basically two dial up lines together through some box thingy...you would have to check if anyone is still doing it though.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
$60 per month for unlimited usage (AT&T or Verizon Wireless). That's not that bad considering DSL and Cable used to be that expensive.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are stuck on Dial Up there is always joining some Role-play group... often RP is not 100% PvP and you can one on one alright.... When I was stuck on Dial up I had the high speed type.... also had a dedicated line put in just for my internet.... sounds to me though like the wireless would be the way to go IF it is a viable option for you.

I know it was a VERY long time before anyone put in any cable internet here. I did a lot of crafting in those days.... built 4 or 5 crafters and took up fishing as well.... though I will say boats on dial up are SCARRY....

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm on Satellite, and I was on dailup. I would go to dailup in an instant, I haven't been able to patch well, ride a mount or do much in the game without the 'one second compensation' since I got it. :(

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ISDN is an option but I believe telstra are phasing it out but it is basically two dial up lines together through some box thingy...you would have to check if anyone is still doing it though.
I used to do something similar to this before Cable/DSL/Wireless had become available. I had two US Robotics 56k Externals dual-linked, and I don't recall any problems working this out with my ISP at the time. It worked really well, much better speed and packet reliability with the two modems together.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dunno what you are talking about but a friend of mine has a phone that has internet. all he does is plug it into the computer, download some third party programs or whatever and bam there's high speed internet on the computer.

J

jelinidas

yup, like I said, we can run 4 computers and the xbox off one cell router. Not bad for 60 bucks and it beats dial up. Oh yeah, we have no home phone. Just cells.

R

Richtor Darkbane

I currently have satellite and dial up, I am interested in going to the wireless, the problem is I'm right on the edge of high-speed wireless, does anyone know which wireless boosters actually work, I researched a few and found prices but I was unable to find real people saying if they worked well or not. I think with a little boost I could be playing at broadband speeds like the rest of the world!

For any who are interested, dial up is faster than satellite, I pay $80 a month for HughesNet, and they even tell you when you sign up, it's not for MMO's or Real Time games. It is however faster for websites, downloads, and uploads. On the Satellite I freeze about every 3 steps so I generally use it when just chilling out or stocking vendors, if I want to hunt or adventure, I get on the dial up.

Anyway, if anyone has info on wireless booster antennas, and how they work please let me know! Even if I have to build something in my yard it's bound to be cheaper in the long run than what I'm doing now.