• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

internet connection

Tectop

Journeyman
Was wondering if anyone plays with a Verizon hot spot off of Verizon cell towers? Want to check and see if this will be better than satallite internet.I lag so bad on satallite, makes it hard to hunt and wondering if game play would be better on Verizon.

Thanks

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have Verizon. I have T-Mobile. I've turned on the hotspot on my phone before and played UO. This was on a 4G LTE speed. It worked fine for me. You can get an app to test your phone's speed on play Google for free. Then test the speed. The 4G LTE was between 15 to 20 mps for me.

Hope that helps.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anything, including dialup, should be better for gaming than satellite (which has a built in 350-400 ms of latency/lag each way, due to the signal having to go 10% of the distance to the moon UP, then 10% back down, before it even hits the net)

The mbps is a useless metric for measuring game speeds past a certain point (it's more of metric for downloading one-way, be it grabbing a file or receiving streaming, as the only info being sent the other way are commands and checksums), and many the formats of "broadband" are as different from each other as a tank, an 18-wheeler semi, a ford explorer, a Mini Cooper, a motorcycle, and an electric golf cart. The term needs to be banned, as it lost meaning 10-15 years ago as it supplanted "dial-up". About the only thing they have in common is their Down speed is several times their "up" speed.

The real limiter is latency (which you see as lag time), the length of time it takes for info to get to its destination and back. And, to measure whether a hotspot for a cell carrier would be suitable for gaming, you need to find a speed test you can use that will tell you the latency and the "noise" (the interference with the signal, which ironically was more a thing for dial-up than wired broadband if the network is running right, but really comes back as an issue when dealing with wireless, because of building materials and distance to towers).

Tectop

Journeyman
Thank you all for the insight, very good info, I just wanted to test the waters before making a switch.
Thank you