• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Article About Cheating In Games....The One Time I Wish UO Was More Like WoW

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't afford any more forum suspensions! Let's not start the whole telephone system here..next thing you know I'll be falsely documented stating you're Dire Wolf mom cheated on your dad with a TimberWolf and secretly named you that due to her promiscuous ways to remind her of that night of lust with you're apparent strong armed TimberWolf Sr. Dad :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey my mother was not a slut......she was a pancake but then what female dog isnt????

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay guys, that's great. Back to the topic please. =)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using unapproved 3rd party programs is a violation of the UO Terms of Service, everyone needs to remember there are additional rules beyond the games Rules of Conduct that have to be followed.
I appreciate you looking that up. It isn't the bible though or "insert your own religious beliefs not to be 2015 racist" I may be wrong, usually am..but I'm sure someone out there is better versed in following their pixel dark lady. Didn't she say when asked if 3rd part programs were still illegal, she said the only thing illegal is "unattended" macroing like how back in the day when someone shoved a nickel in the space bar to macro hiding. I don't think she ever truly addressed the question though.

*Corporate Dodge I Presume*

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using unapproved 3rd party programs is a violation of the UO Terms of Service, everyone needs to remember there are additional rules beyond the games Rules of Conduct that have to be followed.
Wrong......if those rules arent enforced....and they havent been for years they dont exist! Period.....No debate....No BS....they dont care about third party programs as long as you are attended....and that is right out of Bonnie's mouth!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I appreciate you looking that up. It isn't the bible though or "insert your own religious beliefs not to be 2015 racist" I may be wrong, usually am..but I'm sure someone out there is better versed in following their pixel dark lady. Didn't she say when asked if 3rd part programs were still illegal, she said the only thing illegal is "unattended" macroing like how back in the day when someone shoved a nickel in the space bar to macro hiding. I don't think she ever truly addressed the question though.

*Corporate Dodge I Presume*

Oh I'm sure that was a corporate dodge, but that doesn't mean they can't decide to enforce it at any moment without any warning. I'm the type to usually err on the side of caution, if they say it's a no-no in their documentation, then who am I to argue with it.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I'm sure that was a corporate dodge, but that doesn't mean they can't decide to enforce it at any moment without any warning. I'm the type to usually err on the side of caution, if they say it's a no-no in their documentation, then who am I to argue with it.
Agreed but I am 1000% sure they can detect it. One time I logged into to test center and was having an issue seeing the new items. Kryonix was on test and was helping me sort the patch issue. And he kindly said trying turning off "specific program" and try it then. Now I wasn't actually using it for anything I had it open for training Magery honestly, but it proved they actual can see the program. I'm more confused why they don't make them legal, make the owners make them sync to the server and stop them from certain actions. Like looting corpses, farming resources for more than 5 minute intervals, looping things more than 10 times. I'm pretty sure they would agree considering they can now be public and gain donations and all sorts of perks. Or just ban the active users that abuse certain features it has, that aren't just to ease the carpal tunnel UO creates.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dude you dont have to be able to detect it to know that it causes a particular issue or bug. But regardless is they can or cant they Dont care...they have made it clear by their actions and by their words.
The city I live in still has a law on the books about hitching your horse on a particular street...Hasnt been a horse in this city in near 100 years, just because the rule/law is still on the books doesnt mean they give a crap about it!

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, it just means that no one has hitched their horse on that street in a long time. If they did, I'll bet that they would refer to the law.

The best way to stop a crime is to prevent it from happening in the first place. The law is working as intended =)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The city I live in still has a law on the books about hitching your horse on a particular street...Hasnt been a horse in this city in near 100 years, just because the rule/law is still on the books doesnt mean they give a crap about it!
Your right that almost all places have incredibly outdated or just plain dumb laws, however that does not mean they can't uphold those laws. If for some reason you did hitch a horse on that street, and a police officer who for some reason remembered that law saw it, the officer could technically arrest you for it. Only way I see this happening is if you made the officer mad for some reason, but it can still happen.

I had a friend who had the same mindset you do about those old outdated laws, so he started breaking them on purpose in front of police to see what would happen. One day the police got tired of it and actually arrested him. The reason: He put his thumb on his nose and wiggled his fingers at a police officer as he walked by. There is seriously a law in New York prohibiting that. He was arrested for it and then released a few hours later looking absolutely terrified.

Moral of the story: Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean it can't happen. If a person breaks rules in UO all the time, one day a dev might get tired of it and decide to enforce the rule on that unlucky person.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Your right that almost all places have incredibly outdated or just plain dumb laws, however that does not mean they can't uphold those laws. If for some reason you did hitch a horse on that street, and a police officer who for some reason remembered that law saw it, the officer could technically arrest you for it. Only way I see this happening is if you made the officer mad for some reason, but it can still happen.

I had a friend who had the same mindset you do about those old outdated laws, so he started breaking them on purpose in front of police to see what would happen. One day the police got tired of it and actually arrested him. The reason: He put his thumb on his nose and wiggled his fingers at a police officer as he walked by. There is seriously a law in New York prohibiting that. He was arrested for it and then released a few hours later looking absolutely terrified.

Moral of the story: Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean it can't happen. If a person breaks rules in UO all the time, one day a dev might get tired of it and decide to enforce the rule on that unlucky person.
It's not that serious, it's only a misdemeanor to do that.

The Spokesman-Review - Google News Archive Search

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but this is funny (until it happens to you, right?). If it had happened to me, I'd probably have the same reaction he did.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed but I am 1000% sure they can detect it. One time I logged into to test center and was having an issue seeing the new items. Kryonix was on test and was helping me sort the patch issue. And he kindly said trying turning off "specific program" and try it then. Now I wasn't actually using it for anything I had it open for training Magery honestly, but it proved they actual can see the program. I'm more confused why they don't make them legal, make the owners make them sync to the server and stop them from certain actions. Like looting corpses, farming resources for more than 5 minute intervals, looping things more than 10 times. I'm pretty sure they would agree considering they can now be public and gain donations and all sorts of perks. Or just ban the active users that abuse certain features it has, that aren't just to ease the carpal tunnel UO creates.

You would be 1000% wrong. The main program can be detected and it is detected as part of SOP. The numbers of violators are such that they can not enforce it globally. However, there are a few more obvious people that are still today getting punished by GM's.

As for the thumb, nose, police thing....U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that it is constitutionally protected to flip police the bird. Furthermore it is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity. Just suggesting an option to those so inclined.

The Appeal
Article