• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insta suit switching during combat on EC

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The Scripts for CC are Illegal, It's EA/BS' fault they are not enforcing their own rules.
That makes EC legal & very highly advantageous over CC.

You're also acting as if there aren't any illegal programs for EC as well- which makes that "illegal Program" argument moot.
LOL. I like how all CC users are considered cheaters by EC

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think more the EC User dont understand why people play with a by them called huge disandvantage and instead of trying to get "even" they only complain about nearly 10 year old ****.

So the conclusion is near that is has to do with "Tools"

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think more the EC User dont understand why people play with a by them called huge disandvantage and instead of trying to get "even" they only complain about nearly 10 year old ****.

So the conclusion is near that is has to do with "Tools"
are you saying that I use 3rd party programs?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lol i expected that someone feels offended.
No one is saying anything. Only that maybe some people do not understand why someone is playing old crap without having any benefit from it beside nostalgia and then complain about it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's pretty ridiculous how a handful of people is allowed to stir such a drama over an 8 year old feature. It's been there for ages. And all of a sudden its a game breaking problem? I say most people dont even know what they are talking about. Please go fool yourself with this "changing suit for every action" BS.
I say there are too many people oblivious as to what the issues are.

No one said you'd change your suit with every action, if you carry 2-3 suits you could literally have the BEST Possible defense/offense for any anticipated situation you'd be in. it would benefit players that can pay attention to their surroundings more than the average pvper.

It's been in the game for almost 7 years now, sure... global-loot has been in the game for less than 2 years. (This effects it more than you'd think)
like many things in UO, one thing is affected by many seemingly completely unrelated things...
The more skill points and properties they add to items, the better this feature, imbalance, or advantage (whatever you want to call it) gets.
That is why I want it fixed/Balanced, just because people aren't abusing much now, doesn't mean it's not Over-Powered or Game-Breaking.

Look at Holyfist, no one used it until 2-3 months after the mastery was even out. 3-4 months after release it was discovered to be "overpowered", and it was fixed. (I'm not saying I like the way it was fixed), but it's now better balanced with the rest of the game, is it not?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And even IF you would use this Kind of programs i dont give a ratsass about it as I don't have this Problem to switch a suit.

What is Kind of funny in the end is that you obviousely don't even use assist. So you not even use the allowed App to improve your old stuff

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Lol i expected that someone feels offended.
No one is saying anything. Only that maybe some people do not understand why someone is playing old crap without having any benefit from it beside nostalgia and then complain about it.
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm a CC user and I don't use "tools" as you claim.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well iam not dissapointed. All good

Maybe it would be more produktive to give the EC a try. Or do you fear you like it?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You're also acting as if there aren't any illegal programs for EC as well- which makes that "illegal Program" argument moot.
That's interesting, I certainly haven't heard of any. There are some nice legal mods for the EC, but I've only heard vague rumours of illegal third party apps for the EC, and I've certainly seen no evidence of it in game.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well iam not dissapointed. All good

Maybe it would be more produktive to give the EC a try. Or do you fear you like it?
I did try it. But unfortunately, I really can't stand the awful horrific graphics that give me motion sickness. The way the characters look on screen is just all wrong. And I think the paperdoll is really important since it represents your avatar and shows what your character looks like, but that looks all wrong as well. I know its rendered in 3d, but it looks like something from Virtual Fighter 1 graphics. Makes me cringe.

I don't know why the Devs won't put CC graphics in the EC. I think that is something everyone can agree with. But they don't want to do that. Instead they create more work for themselves by having to support 2 clients.

But having said that, there still needs to a restriction on instant suit switching. In other games that allow you to swap gear instantly, there is usually some type of Cooldown involved.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A not so long cooldown (say, 15, 20 seconds top) would be acceptable but see... the current dev team push a cooldown of 60 minutes for an ability that lasts 10 seconds top (bushido warcry) and recently decreased it to "mere" 20 minutes, so I don't trust them when it comes to balancing cooldown timers.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bumping this b/c @Kyronix has time to chime in on some threads at the top (Difference in loot quality depends on the final shadowguard boss?) but not others.

@Bleak @Mesanna any input from you folks would be appreciated too.
We talked about this in a recent meet & greet. It's in our backlog for evaluation for a future publish. I answer questions, when, and where I can. You just happened to catch me on a day when my development shard is acting up and I'm doing a lot of waiting ;)

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
We talked about this in a recent meet & greet. It's in our backlog for evaluation for a future publish. I answer questions, when, and where I can. You just happened to catch me on a day when my development shard is acting up and I'm doing a lot of waiting ;)
Your shard must be having a case of the monday's : (

Anywho, thanks for the reply. Hope we can get a timer or something put on in pvp.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did try it. But unfortunately, I really can't stand the awful horrific graphics that give me motion sickness. The way the characters look on screen is just all wrong. And I think the paperdoll is really important since it represents your avatar and shows what your character looks like, but that looks all wrong as well. I know its rendered in 3d, but it looks like something from Virtual Fighter 1 graphics. Makes me cringe.

I don't know why the Devs won't put CC graphics in the EC. I think that is something everyone can agree with. But they don't want to do that. Instead they create more work for themselves by having to support 2 clients.
It never seizes to amaze me the intensity of the complaints about the graphics. Really, who plays an 18 year old game for the graphics?!! Face it, both clients look like crap by today's standards, but people keep coming back because of the game play and complexity. If visuals are so crucial to you, that you are willing to forego functionality, shouldn't you just play something released this century instead of endlessly complaining on the forums about the injustice of it all?
UO management has made so many strategic errors over the years, it's a wonder the game is still around. One of those mistakes was releasing an ugly and buggy client to replace CC. But with their traditional flair, they try to fix one mistake with an even worse one - keeping two clients around. It was stupid when it happened. It is plainly ridiculous now when there is literally a single person doing all the game related coding.
And now we have a vigilante posse of the devotees of the cult of "less horrible graphics" who would demand that this single dev drop everything and make their antique of a client as powerful as EC. Just because they cant be bothered to look at the graphics. Oh and if that's not possible (it's not), can the devs pretty please drag the sane portion of the player base down to the stone age level of functionality that CC is at by nerfing the EC?
Here's a parting thought - with today's limited resources you can either have "less horrible graphics" or functionality. You can chose. You can switch between them, but you cant have both at the same time just like you would not be playing a mage and a sampire on the same character. It's trade of and a choice available to you. There is nothing fair or unfair about it.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It never seizes to amaze me the intensity of the complaints about the graphics. Really, who plays an 18 year old game for the graphics?!! Face it, both clients look like crap by today's standards, but people keep coming back because of the game play and complexity. If visuals are so crucial to you, that you are willing to forego functionality, shouldn't you just play something released this century instead of endlessly complaining on the forums about the injustice of it all?
UO management has made so many strategic errors over the years, it's a wonder the game is still around. One of those mistakes was releasing an ugly and buggy client to replace CC. But with their traditional flair, they try to fix one mistake with an even worse one - keeping two clients around. It was stupid when it happened. It is plainly ridiculous now when there is literally a single person doing all the game related coding.
And now we have a vigilante posse of the devotees of the cult of "less horrible graphics" who would demand that this single dev drop everything and make their antique of a client as powerful as EC. Just because they cant be bothered to look at the graphics. Oh and if that's not possible (it's not), can the devs pretty please drag the sane portion of the player base down to the stone age level of functionality that CC is at by nerfing the EC?
Here's a parting thought - with today's limited resources you can either have "less horrible graphics" or functionality. You can chose. You can switch between them, but you cant have both at the same time just like you would not be playing a mage and a sampire on the same character. It's trade of and a choice available to you. There is nothing fair or unfair about it.
maybe we should start a poll on how many people like the EC graphics

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There should be no timer on suit switching for PVM or PVP. There may be an advantage to gain in certain circumstances, but that doesn't warrant nerfing it either. If you're a purist for playing the CC without any third party programs, that's your choice - don't rain on the EC parade.

It's not broken, so don't put in an unnecessary fix.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I disagree, its perfectly ok, switch to EC.
Basically this whole thread is complaint after complaint of CC players not having the feature of EC to insta change.
Its 2016, not 1998, if the old client cannot give you the feature you are after, but the game you playing does have another client Ec which does, why not switch to it?
Its mentioned and you say you want them features, well go get them there are free to get, just download.
Having to inject CC more stuff, is like giving a terminally ill patient wanting to die, drugs to keep him alive, allow it to die!
As mentioned by someone earlier, they created EC with this feature intentionally or maybe they didnt, but the bottom line is use EC and take advantage of it.
Whining because you can get it on your client and nefing it, could damage the game in a whole.
A new player coming to this game wont donwload CC, will always try EC as they want more modern graphics, and EC although not the best gives more than CC.
I personally see more in the comments theres a problem also in the age gap of players now, the older want it all now without giving up the old ways and switching for the new.
Use both clients if it makes you happy, PVP in Ec and grind CC, its a game at the end of the day, does it matter if you kill your enemy them 2 seconds after??

Enziet

Journeyman
Seems to me that the answer has been posted many times already. If you want instant suit changing in CC use UOAssist. If you don't want to use third party programs to accomplish this than maybe you might want to consider EC instead. If you don't want EC or UOAssist and want to continue to use the CC well then your SOL. It's called CC for a reason, for all the Classic features <shrugs>

And using CC without UOAssist puts you at an instant disadvantage anyways. So bragging in the forums that you don't use third party programs just points to all the PK's who they should target first :p Just say'n...

For as long as UO has been around there has been UOAssist (pretty much) So complaining about using third party programs after this many years is moot.

One more thing. EC graphics do suck, and it is what prevents me from using the EC for general game play. Complaining about crappy graphics on an 18 year old game is pointless, except for the fact that we are complaining about a "updated" version of the game that is supposed to have better graphics than the old client and that has not been around for 18 years. I remember when you could only run in 4 directions in this game. To what it is now, EC Sucks for graphics, but functionality it's great.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
they created EC with this feature intentionally or maybe they didnt,
Of course it was deliberate. You can't design a choice like that by accident
My only complaint about the EC is the designers deliberately crippled it in many ways to keep it from being too much better than the CC, and that was the big disagreement between the main team and Pinco
EC Sucks for graphics, but functionality it's great.
I'll take functionality every time. Just switch to CC when you're walking around your house admiring your rares and use EC when you need to get things done

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is an intended function of the client, the devs just need to come out and say it.
If it is an accidental function of the client, then the devs just need to come out and say it.

Then again, with the overwhelming history of lack of effective and efficient communication, it doesn't surprise me that nothing has been said.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
:bdh:

I suspect the best route for any functionality changes would be to contact Tugsoft and have them change it on UOassist.

I don't expect any functionality or bug fixes to be done any time soon with the size of their back log.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't expect any functionality or bug fixes to be done any time soon with the size of their back log.
They have already said they will "continue support" for the CC but "making a majority of improvements to the EC". So yeah I agree. Don't hold your breath for this coming to the CC.

How is that larger gameplay window coming along for the CC btw? :lick:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
They have already said they will "continue support" for the CC but "making a majority of improvements to the EC". So yeah I agree. Don't hold your breath for this coming to the CC.

The gameplay window isn't a big deal, I just use UOCartographer.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure no one expects any changes to the client any time soon.(Never)

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with corpse skin now being a useful spell, this is now being exploited to enable players to corpse skin targets, as there's so much necro/spirit speak skill items in game.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Somehow I came across this and realized it is from 2106.

FYI, the larger gameplay window is AWESOME! ROFL :thumbsup:

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't play anymore but I do get updates on threads I've posted to... and I have to say this thread provided me with much entertainment today. Great throwback, thanks for bumping old comedy.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somehow I came across this and realized it is from 2106.

FYI, the larger gameplay window is AWESOME! ROFL :thumbsup:
Aye, at least they actually implemented something like they said they would even though it took an age! Now, wheres is the new account management....:D

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Aye, at least they actually implemented something like they said they would even though it took an age! Now, wheres is the new account management....:D
I know right! A "new" account management really scares me though. Just look at what has happened lately when they "add" stuff. It's more like, 1 fix/add=3 NEW bugs :(

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know right! A "new" account management really scares me though. Just look at what has happened lately when they "add" stuff. It's more like, 1 fix/add=3 NEW bugs :(
I have serious doubts Mesanna + Team would be able to pull an account management for a global playerbase. When they added the ingame store they basically gave a middle finger in regards to prices to a lot of countries. I don't think Mesanna did it on purpose, I think it's rather she never thought of those players outside the US. Her scope seems to be very limited there.

Just look at search.uo.com. For everyone with a bit of web-development knowledge it is rather obvious no experienced person did this.

I am very confident that an account management by Broadsword would be even worse than what we have now.

E: I gave search.uo.com a second look to re-assure my statement above, couldn't proof my point better:

Good luck to all the optimists! :p

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because while fighting in combat for your life you wouldn't remove your helm, take off your gauntlets, untie and remove your boots, unbuckle your belt, slip a chainmail shirt off over your head, take your chainmail pants off, pull new armor set out of your pack, put on platemail leggings, slip into a platemail tunic, attach platemail arms, put on platemail gloves, attach platemail helm, and put old suit in pack and be fighting the whole time. You would be dead.

Its a stupid computer game mechanic not based remotely in any real fighting concept. You of course are welcome to play and do whatever you like, since the likelihood of my UO experience crossing yours is absolute zero.
But applying a bandage or drinking a potion in a glass bottle during a battle is realistic? It is a game.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Works fine.
And yes it should be working everywhere as it currently does
Some people are just unable to play the 3d client, so should they suffer an inferior game because you feel everything is hunky dory since you can use the EC? They pay for the same game you do...shouldn't they get the same benefits from it that you pay for? Rhetorical...if you feel need for rebuttal, you are still looking at things in black and white.

@Mesanna, this issue could have been handled years back with a revamp to UOA. If you take the time to contact Tugsoft to request a rewrite for the 20th anniversary, I am more than certain they would modernize the application for the event. (Tugsoft already stated they would like to do a rewrite...but no one has yet lit a fire under their rear to get the ball rolling.)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tugsoft could remedy this whole issue by revamping UOA. I wish I could use EC, unfortunately I can't. But go ahead and rub it in for those of us unable to use it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of us are unable to use the CC...

For me the CC won't hardly play on my machine it's almost like being back on dial up... move stop move stop move stop..

And glitchy as all get out everything that moves in the CC leaves a trail of black blobs all over the screen...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Fixing" EC by removing the suit change function would immediately introduce a new problem. Now EC players will be at a disadvantage compared to CC players with UOAssist. And unlike CC users, in EC there is no option for a third party tool.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use a suit to rez people during combat that boost magery as I only use as secondary skill to taming. It only varies by a few pieces but allows me to get magery high enough to rez without fizzing. If I was unable to do this during combat it could make the roof unbearable. Also the thought of getting a rez and getting targeted by a rat that puts me in combat thus disallowing me to equip a suit could be unappealing as well. It could really cramp a lot of peoples play and get old real quick.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with corpse skin now being a useful spell, this is now being exploited to enable players to corpse skin targets, as there's so much necro/spirit speak skill items in game.
Hang on... by who?

You play Europa, who do you think is suit/EC/item swapping to use corpse skin?

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
CC should of been stopped long ago, The dev team has been way to weak with the player base, like in any other game, the Dev team has the last word but seems enough people complained and they kept it going. For example and I know its not the most accurate but I will use it, WOW, each time they bring a new client, the old one automatically gets made redundant, basically if you wanna play this game that you really love, then you will make some effort to modernise yourself and learn to use the new system. CC is only catering for a few people, I am sure if everyone was forced onto EC, within a few months they would know how to use it and it would be the end of the problem. Now I know people will say, ''Well my PC cant hack it''...... well any standard PC from any PC shop costing you 150USD-200USD or less can run EC..... I know this is a hard point, but we cannot be catering for people who dont buy new technology, I dont care the age you are, I am sure you have bought new electrical equipment for your house, or even use a Smartphone, why dont you go get your Nokia 3210 back out the shelve.... and use it as a phone??? Cause you have decided to modernise yourself, same thing should happen with UO, especially when we reaching the 20 year mark, they should just say Goodluck and thanks for supporting CC, but its way to old, time for new system to come in, adapt or die, like in Real life!

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's interesting, I certainly haven't heard of any. There are some nice legal mods for the EC, but I've only heard vague rumours of illegal third party apps for the EC, and I've certainly seen no evidence of it in game.
Wasn't Pincos at one time an illegal app? Just because you may not know of any doesn't mean there aren't any. UO assist was illegal at one time and I believe it was legalized only after certain certain things were taken out of it. Im all for people using Pincos but it shouldn't have "featurers" that should not be in game. Insta suit swapping should not be in the game. Just because things are available in EC doesnt mean they should not be balanced.