• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insta Death Crates (Updated 20/10/2001) Proof you can go grey from traps. Cleaned it up a bit remo

L

Lusty

Here's a few different ways you might like to think about.

Creation Location
inside guards
outside guards
Inside Owned House
Inside Co-owned house
Inside Friended House
Inside Stranger to House
Trammel
Felucca

Trapped Location
In pack
On Floor/ground
inside guards
outside guards
Inside Owned House
Inside Co-owned house
Inside Friended House
Inside Stranger to House
Trammel
Felucca

Armed Location
In pack
On Floor/ground
inside guards
outside guards
Inside Owned House
Inside Co-owned house
Inside Friended House
Inside Stranger to House
Trammel
Felucca

Quite a few different permutations to these as you can see, guess we better get cracking.

I wouls suggest though that he only ones that would really matter, would be the trapped and armed locations. By armed I mean locked. Maybe facet, who really knows? Creating a just lockable crate though, would surprise me greatly if there was any sort of flagging on the creator.

Oh and another thing, you know how it goes "this container is locked but since you are the owner you can open it"? Maybe thats the owner flagging, for crim status? If you still have the key on you?
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Lusty on 08/14/01 03:49 AM.</FONT></P>

M

mawood

One thing that cannot be denied, this is fun. I love making a few to carry at once, that way, when I know I am being snooped, I tell them one is not trapped - feel lucky? They often die and come back to try another, and another, eventually finding all trapped. "Woops, I guess I lied." Ironically, its my thief that carries them. So when I find these boxes on others, they mostly forget to weigh them down, and yoink - I take the whole crate. A good tactic is to have two crates and cover one up with a death robe. They think thats the one to see - Ssssss, sorry :). Also, use explosion at moongates and poison anywhere else. All too often, the poisoned victim will run into the gate and you'll miss out on your loot. My tests with gm tinker explosion crates did from 89-119 damage. And leave one in your home - I come home often to dead people nosing around. The best part - dieing, getting looted, ssssssss, looter is ghost too. Who said ghosts can't kill?

See my tinker flash below? Don't do that - you may suddenly become non-existent.

Gryzzly Addamz, Great Lakes

WARRIOR FLASH SIG http://www.twistedclicks.com/abba.html

F

flow

sorry... i still have a couple of questions.

1. can you get things out of the crate once you trap and unlock it? every time i try to open it, i die ;)

2. i can't get the para buster thing to work. the key's in the crate, but i still die. i'm in trammel, but i'm guilded (to the tinker too). i'm assuming that's the problem.

i'm not too worried about the para buster, but it would be nice to be able to put things in *and* get them out. someone suggested putting it in the bank and trying. when the grain was going n/s, i couldn't open it at all (normal). when it was facing e/w, i had to make a quick run to the healer. :)

is it possible to get things out of the crate?

L

Lusty

*ahem* If you still have the key for the crate, use it to disarm the trap. LOL Then go thru the process of arming again.

Try this for the para buster, get your tinker to make the crate, trap the crate in his pack, and lock/arm the crate while the key is still inside crate. Dont know about the guilded thing, they may very well have something to do with it.

*edit*
actually no the guilded thing shouldnt have anything to do with it, I just remembered that I joined a guild with the tinker a little while ago.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Lusty on 08/14/01 09:02 PM.</FONT></P>

F

flow

hehe... yeah, i know i could re-arm it, but i don't have a gm mage, so i have to bug my friends every time i want to. i was just wondering if there was another way.

i'll try arming it while the key is still in there. i was just putting it in after arming it before.

thanks for the reply.

L

Lusty

You can if you are really desperate. With poisons you have about 15-20 secs @100 HP to get as much of it out as you can. Res + repeat until its all out. With exp you have to open it and hope its a dud firing, and doesn't kill you. If it does kill you, res, bless, heal up and try again. Other than that, no not really, the idea is that nobody has access to the contents, unfortunately you included.

T

Tim Dunkin Dunca

just got my trapped chest working!

no count option, no turning grey!

Prince of Verona
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tetris.com> The game of Champions</a>
<center>
</center>

S

SpidahQuee

Lusty..................... I love you
Thank you for your time and effort spent on the information you have greatly provided.

Beholdah, Stackfoldah, Gun Holdah, a.k.a. Bluntrollah...

S

SpidahQuee

One more thing. if you originally armed the crate outside of house, but rethink and take it back to house and re-arm it the proper way. Are you count free?
plus once i magic unlock it wont go boom unless i rotate it 90 degrees, but once rotated i am also in danger if i accidently open it. is that correct? so making the box/crate snoopable endangers me if im stupid and open it..

Beholdah, Stackfoldah, Gun Holdah, a.k.a. Bluntrollah...

L

Lusty

There are so many permutations to making them that I can't possibly be expected to do them all.

If you make a crate that gives interesting, unusual or reliable results, post it. That way we can get some conformations and I can add it.

Please be sure to include the exact location and exact steps that you did in creating the trap.

I am getting many ICQ's with just as many varying results.

D

Darik

Lusty you are THE BEST!!! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

I finally gm'd my mage and was able to try this out, and it works perfectly. I am going to have sooooooo much fun with this! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sgrin.gif

Many thanks!!! now i'm off to battle /php-bin/shared/images/icons/army.gif

***Warning Warning Warning***
The Surgeon General has determined that wedding cake greatly decreases a womans sex drive.

C

Crimer

The joy of tinker traps. Now you know how to make them, but people still often wonder how you can get stuff out of them after they are in their extremely dangerous configuration. I've done some experimentations and here are a few basic ways:

1) UOA Arm/Disarm. If you select the appropriate weapon and your trapped crate as your disarm pack, you will successfully be able to arm and disarm your weapon to the crate.

2) UOA Dress. If you save what is currently being worn using UOA and stick any of those items in the crate, you can successfully get them out using the dress key.

3) You are always able to use regs from a unlocked, but trapped crate.

You can see that as long as you have a key to get the item back out of the crate without having to double-click the crate itself, you can get just about any item out you want.

4) But you want more...

Ah, well I have not gotten this formula to work 100% of the time yet, but it DOES work and is by far the BEST method:

Have you ever noticed that your Tinker can always seem to open his unlocked, trapped crates in their north/south position even though they are trapped? Have you also noticed that NO ONE else can? Well based on a few practice runs, I made a trapped crate in the usual fashion with my tinker and then gave it to my character I wanted to use it with, had that character enable the trap and then have my Tinker/Mage cast magic unlock on it. Amazingly my Tinker can no longer open the crate in the north/south position. But now my other character CAN!!

So what does this mean?

You now have a crate in your backpack that CANNOT be opened by snoopers in the north/south position. If you want, you can place the crate in the east/west position to enable the trap, but why bother? You can't access the items either.

Here's how to have a little fun with this:

1) Make three trapped crates. You only need one that your character can open in the north/south position.
2) Put all your usable items that you normally carry around in the openable crate.
3) Weigh the other two crates with enough stones to make them unstealable.
4) Place the openable crate in the north/south position in the middle of your backpack.
5) Place the other two crates in the east/west position, one on each side of the openable crate. Although I am partial to poison, I like to have one explosion and one poison to mix things up a little.

Now you can safely walk around anywhere without having to worry about snoopers or items being stolen from you (well as long as you don't get PKed)
** This DOES NOT work for STEAL LAST TARGET so beware!

Now for the fun:

6) Locate a thief.
7) Snoop him.
8) Usually he will snoop you back in retaliation.
9) BOOM - Another thief bites the dust

Have Fun

C

Crimer

Place an Explosion Trap crate inside a Poison Trap crate. They snoop the poison still got a few seconds to live, snoop the next - BOOM. Nasty combo.

A

Arlis

Crimer I tried your suggestions.
Oh man is that fun! I've never laughed so hard in 3 years of playing UO
GMing tinkering just for the entertainment value was well worth it.

oh and like the poster above me I do the same thing, Poison with and explosion inside.

Try this out at any Player-run events.
A little game I call KABOOM!
set up a booth
offer to everyone the chance to win 500 gold for only 250 entry fee.
take 2 trapped boxes and 1 untrapped
take 3 books name 2 books "you lose" and one "You WIN"
now set up the 3 chest side-by-side in any order and have the player open one.
if they open the right one you pay them 500 gold, if not they dead and you are 250 gold richer. It is lots of fun people love playing this game.
on catskills I watched about 15 people die and only one win the last time I tried it.

Arlis, Grandmaster Smith/Miner/Fisherman
Catskills Shard

D

Dragoon

You are correct that having a high lockpick skill will not get you into a trapped chest.

You do not however, have to use Detect on a trap before using Remove skill. It makes no difference if you do except that you know that the trap is there. However, if you are using a 90 something Remove Trap skill on a trap done by a GM Tinker, you will lose more often than not. And, there are WAY more GM Tinkers than GM Remove Trap players on a real shard.

Dragoon<font color=blue>(Seige Perilous)</font color=blue>; <a target="_blank" href=http://my.uo.com/cgi-bin/my_chars.pl?52616e646f6d4956ada8052880226f0a4e52c6c345d55adabaae834ce8ddfbe1c84a0a489b021169b020f72c5cc9996e>Smythe</a> <font color=blue>(Chessy)</font color=blue>

S

smeee

i'm working on being one of the few remove trap gm's (95.5 now) and tinkerer traps are deffinetly fun./php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

The answer To the Question of Life, The universe, and everything, is 42.

D

Dragoon

I don't have a GM Mage and was unable to use magic unlock with my 90 something mage. I do have a GM Detect/GM Remove with 98.2 Lockpicking on Chessy. I made a trapped chest with my GM Tinker character and used my Detect/Remove/Lockpicking character to unlock and set the insta-explode. It worked great. This was all done in a house owned by both characters on the same account. The unlocking was done while the chest sat on the floor. Perhaps this had something to do with the differences in our results.

Dragoon<font color=blue>(Seige Perilous)</font color=blue>; <a target="_blank" href=http://my.uo.com/cgi-bin/my_chars.pl?52616e646f6d4956ada8052880226f0a4e52c6c345d55adabaae834ce8ddfbe1c84a0a489b021169b020f72c5cc9996e>Smythe</a> <font color=blue>(Chessy)</font color=blue>

D

Dragoon

When you GM Remove Trap, go join factions. You'll clean up. Unless you are on Chessy where I already own the place /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

G

Grommit

<blockquote><hr>

Damage Information:(Based on GM Tinker)

Poison traps will kill its victim 99.99% of the time.

Explosion traps will deal 40-180 HP Damage.

Dart traps will do Max Damage of 80 HP.

<hr></blockquote>

I've been working my remove trap a lot recently and occasionally my dart traps will do more than 80 hp of damage. The highest I've seen is 86. This may be due to the recent hit point calculation changes or it may not be. Has anybody else seen this behaviour in dart traps?

-------
Don't feel bad and don't feel special, I discriminate against just about everybody if I can help it. :)

L

Lusty

Well... In an effort to see if I could duplicate your results, I did a little healing 8x8 macroing today. I'm dissapointed that I could not reproduce your results. When I said 20-80, thats not entirely correct, I never actually got a 20 HP and never actually got an 80 either. I did however get 23's and 79's, so for the sake of neatness I just made it a little outside of those values.

On a 3 AR character today I went about seriously recording what I did get hit for, here it is.

20-29 HP (32 Times)
30-39 HP (36 Times)
40-49 HP (42 Times)
50-59 HP (49 Times)
60-69 HP (32 Times)
70-79 HP (26 Times)

So out of 197 recorded trap springs I never got an 80 nor did I get a &lt;20

BTW I gained 12.7 healing, 90.3 real now :))

G

Well....Just found an old screenshot...It was unfortunatly ruined, but I managed to get the journal text off of it...

Little bit of history on it,
I was wandering around in Delucia fel one day when I see a pair of tamers just romping around...One is a Glo-lord the other is a Illus-lady...

I was gathering leather, so I was killing bulls...they went through the regular tamer routine about bulls...

So I log in Guybrush, my beloved thief.

I stole a bunch of junk from them, couple keyrings etc...

Eventually they tried to kill me and failed...the moment I had been waiting for...

I went to the bank and grabbed my LP trapped box, banked all my gear and set about my evil deed...I just meandered in and stole a potion or some other small item, the both attack me. The illus lady loots my box and takes the bait hook line and sinker, she dies after a few pitiful attempts to cure.

Now, here's where I have the journal...

Brandy: ||| F * C K
fern: Rel Por
Guybrush: Like the box?
Guybrush: =P
Brandy: off
Guybrush: (Lost line)
Guybrush: lol
You see: Lord fern
Being perfectly rested, you shove them out of the way.
You see: a cow
You see: a cow
You see: a rabbit
You see: a goat
You see: a bull
Guybrush: I can't reach that
You see: A corpse of Guybrush
Brandy: prick
(Rest garbled, was "fern" asking me to leave her alone...I explained that I had done nothing but steal, and explained that she committed suicide...they weren't very happy with my answers and left.)

<center>

I LOVE UO:R THANK YOU OSI!!111</center>

D

Dewey Chethem

i gmd tinkering a few weeks ago and have had enormous fun killing people with boxes. today as i was nearing the 100 mark of people killed i received my first count.. yes i have been making then correctly (in my house) and am a lil stumped as to how i received a murder count... the character i was using does not pvp or attack people in any way so im wondering how this was possible...

D

Dewey Chethem

i figured i would explain how i made a crate that gave me a count. i made this crate the same way i have made every crate i ever made, and never got a count with one until today.
i trapped and locked the crate in my fel house while it was in my pack (my house is not in guard protect). then i placed it on the ground inside my house inna east/west direction and casted unlock on it. my question is this to any who would know. should i wait until the crate is on the ground to lock it? i dont understand how i received a count when i never have before using this method.
also the grey flagging issue i think i have pegged. i was droppin crates at bucs den when someone gated one out to brit bank. well 2 min later i get the message 'guards can now be called on u' of course i get attacked by 5 people but manage to get inna moongate. i waited til blue then went to brit bank to see the guys corpse next to my crate. so im not sure this is it but i think it is.. u flag grey when the crate is opened in guard protect areas. lusty plz respond to this

L

Lusty

In my entire career the Tinker (Blacky) has gotten 2 counts from crates, both within minutes of each other. Now I have no friggin idea what does it, sorry I just don't know. I have made literally 500+ crates, all of which have been used. Either they were looted off my corpse, taken away by other people or hit with an axe. In that whole lot I got 2 counts, who knows why. It's more than likely a bug.

As for where they are unlocked. Since Blacky dropped to 90.1 magery, some 6 months ago, he hasn't been able to open his own crates, so they are always done on the floor of my house, always!
Something else that bothers me about the info I found today at UOcusthelp, is that Blacky always traps and arms the crates, always the same. It's a routine, it never changes. So personally I think that info is wrong.

When I do a crate run it goes like this.
Make 20 crates, all with keys in them.
Stack them neatly into piles on the floor 5 high.
Trap each one.
Make a keyring to hold all the keys.
Put all the keys on the keyring. I only use a keyring for convienience.
Enable all the traps.
Lock all the crates down.
Use the decor tool to turn them all about. Throw the key ring in a secure.
Log out the tinker and in with a Gm mage.
Have the mage unlock all of them, and release all of them, then store in a secure.

I do it the same way every time.

I like your theory on flagging, but I havent been using crates much lately. I have a full secure of them, and haven't been PvPing much at all, so Ive lost very few of them. Can you get together with a mate and do some recording. EXP seem to be the ones that make me go grey, poison I havent noticed.

V

Valmont VonSerma

Maybe a little other back-ground info.

At one time you were able to make Insta-Death Crates without using a GM mage. This was done (if I remember this correctly) make a crate, trap it with your choice of trap, set the crate down on the ground faceing n/s, lock the crate to enable the trap, then put the key on a keyring, turn crate to faceing e/w, un-lock the crate, anyone that opens the sets if off, this was still effected by what way the crate was facing when it was opened. n/s the last person to lock the crate could open it with or without the key and no one else could. e/w anyone who opened it set off the trap with or without the key. (Don't know if this still works or not, I'll try it sometime in the next few day and post a reply)

I use to do this all the time in Fel and also never set the traps up inside of my house. I also only used the small crates. My tinker never turned grey or got a count from a crate that he made. I also only used them at banks or while I was mining in Minoc Mines so I was usally in a guarded area. (I'll also try this as well and let you guys know)

And just so everyone knows.... here is OSI's decision on tinker traps again. (I don't want to see a fellow tinker get banned for doing this wrongly)

It is legal to trap a chest as you describe. I will not give out details on how to make these, nor will a GM in game.

However, it is illegal to use these to kill someone in Trammel, unless you have highlighting with them. Otherwise, you are pking someone in Trammel, which is a clear rule violation.

So:
It is legal to carry these in Felucca.
It is legal to carry these in Trammel.
It is legal to set these on the ground in Felucca with the intent of killing a curious person.
It is illegal to set these on the ground with the intent of killing someone on Trammel.
It is legal if the looter on Felucca is killed by looting your corpse and opening the chest.
It is illegal to use one for the clear purpose of killing a looter on Trammel. If you are minding your own business and you die, that's okay. It becomes illegal if the support team recognizes that your character just "happens" to die with trapped chests on them all the time. I don't want players making kamikaze newbies that carry around trapped chests and die just so they can blow looters up. I hope the distinction for this one is clear. We're looking at intent as much as outcome.
(All I can say about this last one is, if my character doesn't turn grey or get a count he is always going to have it on him, Tram or Fel)

L

Lusty

Yeah, I'm not concerned about having them on characters that have them in the pack in Trammel. None of my characters leave the house without having regs in a crate. Like your post reflects, the intent is what matters when people die in Trammel due to crates.

If you are attacking guards outside brit Bank to flag grey and also get whacked while you are loaded to the eyeballs with insta crates and many a banksitter dies, then that's more than likely the intent they are talking about. If you should die in a Trammel dungeon and you dont happen to make it back on time and your looter gets killed, I see that as acceptable, so long as you are not doing it intentionally. IF you die from gameplay, then thats fine. Most looters aren't the ones that dont know about the crates anyway.

"Presenting the information in a format that belies a certain benevolence on the part of the writer."

T

tsalin

I was at Trammel Britain forge two days ago (10-29-01) and someone put a red box down on the ground and said "open this please". I opened it, was poisoned, died, then got a murder count screen. I gave someone a murder count; I can't recall if it was a different name than the person who put the crate on the ground or not, but I did give a murder count to someone.

PS: the person who put the crate on the ground did not turn grey, and after thinking about it, I am pretty sure the person I gave a murder to was NOT the person who put the box on the ground.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Tsalin on 10/31/01 08:42 PM.</FONT></P>

O

OldSalty

Have poison traps been nerfed? The lvl 5 poison is now curable with magery!

O

Oronicus

Help!!!!

93 Tinkering. Trying to place poison trap on small, medium, larege crate.

Message "You cannot place a trap on that"

wtf

thanks

G

check the orientation of the crate
rotate it if you cant place trap on it
its a strange bug but its there

M

mawood

Na, I am killing MANY still. I have seen numerous failures in an attempt to cure it with magery. Ironically, my thief carries these as thief protection. :) Sold/lost over a thousand and still no counts.

Gryzzly Addamz, Great Lakes

WARRIOR FLASH SIG http://www.twistedclicks.com/abba.html

G

I'm still making traps according to Lusty's method. The explosion ones seem variable; sometimes kill / sometimes nearly kill (both per trigger & per box). The poison ones kill me in under 10 seconds, have yet to be cured by magery (certainly not mine) but have been cured on average 4 out of 5 tries by a bandie healer of around 86 skill standing at the ready next to me. Er, that's 4 out of 5 triggers. He had a few attempts per poisoning.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Fink on 12/26/01 07:33 AM.</FONT></P>

S

SirWillow

GM magery is now able to cure the poison, as I've seen from observation of a few different instances. However it's still a rare shot, and the person has to be quick with it. Seems to cure about one time in 4 or 5. But they can't waste any time at all with it.

I do have one question on legality that I don't see mentioned- is it legal to have one set up in your house in Tram so that it kills anyone looking at it? I'm thinking of setting one up with a bone container next to or on top of it, with another one in the bone container. Legal when someone dies or no?

And reagents are fully usuable from a trapped container, as well as it being able to be used as an arm/disarm bag?

Thanks for the clarifications.

D

DimiGR

i have the folowing problem:

a) made the crates with the tinker
b) traped them
c) left them in a secure box
d) changed chars and loged in with my mage
e) locked it down and turn it once with the deco tool
f) Picked it up in my inv and unlock it with unlock and re-enebled the trap leaving the key in the crate

The crate damages my mage. I thought that the last person who enables the trap will be the owner. Isnt that correct? what i am doing wrong? Does it matters that i am in a guild?

thx in advance

G

just made some for fun today and yes the poison ones can b cured. took bout 5 tries (that gm tinker/carp trapped box) and the greater boom box did 174 damage wow. i was dead before i knew it. wow

Moff Tarkin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evileye.gif

.....and the "Resurrecting an Ancient Thread" award goes to.... carpenterdan!

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

You might have been a little premature, though. Only 2 more weeks and it would have been exactly a year since the last post.

G

GNecromancer

Is Carpenty a must???
Can you buy a lockable crate or does it have to be made?
and does turining it 90 dagrees toggle the trap to work?

Moff Tarkin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You either need to be a Carpenter or know one, although it doesn't really take much skill to make a locking crate.