• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

informal poll- Why are you a melee fighter?

S

Stupid Miner

Just to clarify, I mean Swords, Fencing, Macing, and anyone insane enough to use wrestling as a weapon skill. NOT Archery

Why did you choose a hand-to-hand fighter?

C

Connor_Graham

Simple. It's more of a challenge to go toe to toe with a creature than it is to sit back in relative safety such as tamers, mages, and archers do. I prefer the challenge.

D

Divster

as above. I have an aversion to ranged templates as I don't like the idea of not closing with my opponent, whoever that may be :) just a personal predisposition but its always made me feel uncomfortable playing as mages tamers and archers.

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am the tank for my tamer and mage friends.....I can withstand some punishment...they cannot ;)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
because my samurai paladin can go anyplace and do anything ...solo!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like being close to the action. As a melee fighter it is a much different perspective then fighting from afar. It is difficult to tell with Ultima Online but with other online games, it is quite evident. You see everything that is occurring, while the back line jobs maintain their distance since they cannot withstand repeated blows from the enemy.

Secondly, when I first started out all of the friends that I had played mages and other classes. It is an opportunity for a person to keep an enemies attention and hence, tank as it were.

I won't go into skill or high damage argument, but I like playing melee fighters as well because bar none...most every game you have a top damage dealer that is melee.

Whether called assassin, warrior, ranger, thief, dark knight or what have you...a properly geared melee fighter can put out faster damage over time then any other class.

The main argumentation and logic about the above statement is this:

1. I won't run out of arrows
2. I won't have to rest to replenish MP (the bane of every mage...it really is inevitable. At least if you are soloing).

Consequently, that leaves Melee fighter's. I like keeping the mobs attention and dealing large, consistent damage. That is why I play a melee fighter.

G

GFY

I like it for tanking peerless and for the ability to hunt big game solo.

I also like it because it's more of a challenge then using my tamer and saying, "all kill!"