• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Game "In the world, only this island is..."

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That small phrase caught my attention in a magazine. It showed just one island on what looked like a parchment map, surrounded by ocean.

The game is 2001's "Dragon Warrior VII" which is the seventh main game in what is actually called "Dragon Quest" in Japan. 1-4 had been released on NES which is great because the real 2nd and 3rd Final Fantasy games were released on Famicom only and not in America. However, five & six of DraQue stayed in Japan on Super Famicom.

The one major breakout game for most newer console gamers had been Final Fantasy VII but that came out at least 3 or 4 years earlier. Ports of Final Fantasy iV and VI (relabled FF2 and FF3 in USA) were put on SNES. The company behind them was Squaresoft.

Anyhow, the crew DW VII is the son of a boat captain, the daughter of a fish salesman, and the prince of their small island. The trio likes play in a large ruin which has a few puzzels in it that have to be solved This takes about an hour or so. After which you find out there's a slightly convoluted time travel mechanic. You search the world for tablets of stone that have broken into fragments. When you put each tablet together, you venture to a damned island somewhere in the past which had been destroyed by some local curses. The main villain is the Demon Lord.

The game take place on two discs. I am still trying to finish the game but am on disc one still, 49 hours into a rumored 100.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
When Squaresoft had offices here in Honolulu (this is back in 1998/99), I got to tour their facility. Their server made me drool in the worst way! They were wrapping the Final Fantasy movie and I got to watch portions of it before anyone else (outside of the company). I was so stoked!

Then, they closed shop, sold everything, and left Hawaii.... Still dunno why. :(

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spirits Within or Advent Children?

One was made to mourn one of their director's mother who'd died and he wanted to explore the afterlife.

Advent Children was a sequel (in movie form) of Final Fantasy VII.