• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Fiction In the castle of Blackthorn...

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The slate halls of Castle Blackthorn edged and twisted amongst the candlelight. The corners not worn and archaic, but cold and razor sharp and the shadows cast a foreboding scene over approach to the Kings chambers. Fabian walked slowly down the hall, subconsciously his feet moved along the shadows as he practiced his footwork and swordplay positioning in his mind.

The door creaked open as he edged quietly into the warm hearthed chamber of King Blackthorn. The King glanced up for only a moment then turned his gaze back to his chess game.

The room was quiet, few sounds were made at all. The crackling of the fire, chess pieces moving along the board, and the infuriated grunts of Dupre as he lost yet another game of chess to the King.

“You have no mind for the game Dupre. You just don’t grasp the strategy.” The King picked up a pawn and moved it forward, “…Checkmate.”

Dupre said nothing but just shook his head and stood up respectfully as Lady Amandine entered the room.

“What are you going to do?” the misshapen silhouette of Lady Amandine crossed her arms and stared at the King in a condescending way only she could get away with.

“I have already done it…” The King turned away from her and looked toward the fire obscured by Dupre.

“You arrested one of your most loyal Governors…” Amandine persisted.

“The man broke quarantine and held a party in the middle of a plague!” King Blackthorn shouted.

“The danger is passed; he labored endlessly to fix his mistake. Surely…”

The King Interrupted, “His actions probably hastened the spread of it in the first place, I had to do something.”

“Did you?” Dupre added without turning away from the fire.

“Anyway, I trust the Courts in Yew, they will sort it out.”

“I still cannot believe that you reinstated Solus as Governor.” Dupre shook his head.

“Hrmph” Grunted Fabian d’Hardt.

“Something to add Fabian?!” Blackthorn turned toward the door, perturbed that Fabian dared to interject into their evening privy council.

“Governor Solus did what any sane person would have done, compassion for the sick in ending their suffering and showed courage in protecting the King and Britain. Those people should have never been allowed to leave Trinsic in the first place Your Majesty.” Fabian quieted down, as Kingsguard it was his role to be seen, feared and rarely heard.

“My back is against the wall, I cannot allow a Governor to be negligent in such important matters such as a plague, no matter who they are. It all comes down to intent. Solus’ intent was to safeguard the city against the plague. Lew was… slow to act, he couldn’t do what needed to be done without hesitation so the plague spread. That I could forgive, that I could understand… But a party? The man held a harvest festival in the city, even ventured to the docks among boats and commerce!” The King spoke exasperatedly.

“We are lucky the plague didn’t spread among all the cities with all the ships in the area. Blind luck.” Dupre finally sat back down.

“You saw the faces of his men, they will not abide this, you slapped Solus on the wrist and had Lew imprisoned. In their minds you stepped into Tyranny and whim.”

“Careful Lady…” Fabian called.

“Oh, shut it Fabian! I'm not scared of you.” Danica Amandine answered back.

“Oh please, everyone knows I think Solus is an fool and that I favor Lew, I had to answer both of their actions or seem ineffective. I'm sure Norrington will have him out on bail at some point, the trial will surely just be a formality, a public chastisement.” The King reset the archaic chess board.

“Majesty, tempers are in the air, there are rumors of a protest, Trinsic is sending troops… they say peaceful…”

“I have that situation under control Majesty.” Fabian remarked.

“Like hell, you cannot be serious.” Danica and Dupre remarked together.

“My job is the safety of the realm and of the King, I do the things that must be done.”

“My King…” The visibly pregnant Danica got on her knees before the King, “I beg you, please do not send Fabian to handle this, let me do it. The people trust me, Lord d’Hardt is not a man of the people, he is a bringer of war, you are not at war with your people.”

“I do not want to risk you in your condition Danica…” Blackthorn shook his head.

“I can handle talking to a few people! I am not incompetent!”

“Very well, talk to them. See if you can get them to understand my position. But I cannot allow the Monarchy to come into question amongst the people; we cannot allow Britannia to return to anarchy. All of us did what needed to be done, Lew, Solus and their King. And all of us must answer for it.” Blackthorn stood and walked down the stairs somberly to his private study, none followed.

“I cannot allow armed troops within the castle Lady Amandine, you know that.” Fabian spoke in his cold and methodical tone.

“And I will not allow your stubbornness and inability to compromise to endanger my King or my country.” Amandine stood and walked toward Fabian d'Hardt, “Secure the walls, keep the peace, but if the peace is broken it is your head that will be on the wall Fabain. Not Solus’, Not Lew’s, and certainly not mine. Yours.”

The trio parted company and made their way to their separate chambers within the castle.

Dupre sighed and whispered to himself, “This whole stupid misadventure is all Biggering’s fault anyhow.”

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
WHY DOOS YOOS LET MINAX MINONS LIBE INA YOOS BASEMENT?
OR ARE THE YOURS?

Last edited: