• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) In Search of New Faces...

Aryala

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
*Please note: this is the beginning of a quest in which -you- can participate. See the end of this story for details.*

One by one she turned the cards, arranging them in an all too familiar pattern. The subject and its influence. The waning, the waxing and the full moon. The pillars. The future. And last of all, the secret of the high priestess. Just as she had turned the first cards around she heard steps on the stone stairs leading down into the cellar. Ethan would be uncomfortable, she knew. He always was, down here, but it would not do to discuss these things where strangers and spies might hear. With a flick of her hand a few torches burst into flame and she beckoned him closer and to a seat across the table.

He sat down, eying the cards with the usual disdain that he did not bother to hide from her. She would have known anyway. He was simply not imaginative enough to understand. Intelligence, strong as it might be, would always be wasted without creativity and imagination. Before he could speak she gestured to the cards. “It begins here, in the middle. The ace of staves with its fire and light stands for energy, for new beginnings. Across it lies the alchemy card, meaning the loosening of old ties and the formation of new ones. In a spark of energy and initiation, the old world is overthrown in favour of a new one.”

Ethan nodded, barely looking at the cards. “So what does that mean? Is the world ending because of Blackthorn?” Her only response was a chuckle. Of course he did not understand. He never did. Did not try to, either. She turned the next cards. Labour, strength and cruelty, a gruesome card with nine bleeding swords. A moment of hesitation. Strength was waning, but cruelty would soon arise as the strongest influence. This could mean many things and more. But here and now: labour. Another hint. She gestured at the card. “The world never ends. But the time has come to make a move. We must ready ourselves for what is to come and we must draw Blackthorn out of his castle. He must prove himself or the realm will shatter. We must know his true face and whether he is what he claims to be.”

Two more cards, the two pillars. Knowledge and wisdom in the open, in the light. Failure in the darkness, hidden. Ethan frowned, seeing the cards. “That does not look promising.” A ridiculous comment, though not unexpected. She chose to ignore it. “Every endeavour bears in itself the seed of failure, or it would be no endeavour. And this card represents the hidden dangers that we face, but not necessarily those arising from our action.” She turned another card and smiled. “The princess of staves, a symbol for birth, for initiative and the first step. The time is right, we must act.” She set the remaining cards aside, leaving the last one in the spread lying face-down on the table. “Trinsic will need allies and we know where to find them. If the King is truthful then our endeavour shall please him. If he is not, then we shall be stronger to face the trials that he will bring down onto this realm. There is much to gain.”

Ethan nodded his consent. “You know that I agree, but is this really the proper way to go about it? What if they spread the word? And you know that they will.” She chuckled. “Of course they will. But what should he do? Forbid it? And reveal that he knows? Intervene himself? You know how the last Council meeting went. He will face open rebellion, most likely. Our letters shall not be his greatest worry.” She smiled at him, studying his face. There were the familiar lines of worry on his face, but she could see him relax. In the end, he would agree.

Only after he left did she flip the last card around. Swan and shield and the empress on her throne. It was almost too good to be true. Later that night, a notice was posted at the message boards in Trinsic...

The Governor of Trinsic requires trustworthy messengers to assist the administration in its diplomatic efforts. If interested, present yourself to Ethan Webster at the office of the governor of Trinsic. The office is located in the eastern part of Trinsic, next to the docks. Ask about the work as -envoy-.

*signed and sealed*
Governor Aryala
*The above is the introduction to a plotline that will be available for all players to participate in. This is the first chapter and can be completed at any time and at your own pace. Your involvement will actively change the storyline and will also determine what happens next. Everything has been set up with the help of EM Gotan (thank you!) but it will not have fancy loot.*

*P.S. You can also post your progress/reports/comments here, they will be read!*

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought I would give it a try so I went and had a word with the Steward at Trinsic Docks. He happily gave me a message to take to Governor Aurelius House in Britain. Marcus the Steward there showed very little interest in the message, indeed he showed little interest in anything I had to say. Back to Trinsic in case I missed something, sure enough apparently a code word is needed. Off to Britain with the message and the code word happily thinking this will work now. WRONG, Marcus still refuses to speak to me, the only result of my one-sided conversation being hearing it repeated by Crackers the Parrot. So the only conclusion I can come to is that Marcus is either deaf or dumb, whichever it is my efforts were wasted. I hope someone else does better.