• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

IMPORTANT regarding +5 skill/stat bonus gift

R

Rowan33

I started a new account with aos, does that mean my new aos characters wont get teh rewards?

J

JayCee

"Account age has no bearing. It's all about character age (i.e. real-life time since character creation). All of your characters that existed before the cutoff (whether the account was active or not) are eligible. "

Ah perfect!!! So those of us that suffered through the lag of the AOS launch that have deleted characters and started new ones won't get the gifts, but someone that wasn't even playing or paying for their account during the lag, and bugs will get the gifts as long as the characters were created before the cut off date!!!! Makes perfect sense to me...
You are punishing people that have started new characters due to wanting to play a new class, which I am sure a lot of people have done with all the nerfing that has gone on.

I think that anyone playing the game when AOS was launched, and for the next 2 -3 months after it was launched should be able to claim these gifts even if they create the characters tommorow or next week...

If you were going to do it based on character age, you could have warned us, even after the cutoff date,which you say is upto and a few weeks after the launch of AOS so that no one deleted their characters.

You are also neglecting the fact that even for new players that signed up in the first couple months after AOS was launched, that their were many issues, including lag...

Again, I feel that any CURRENT ACTIVE account, that was active during the months of Feb. and Mar. should be able to get the gifts or you are shafting many people that had to put up with lost items, lag, and tons of major game bugs.

The orig post on this says the following:
"As Sunsword promised (and after several weeks of brainstorming on the message boards with Vex and the team), we would like to offer an in-game gift as a way of showing our appreciation for all those players who've made this one of the busiest times in UO's history, as well as a way of offering something out of consideration for anyone who’s gone through a revert or other problem caused by the high traffic during the Age of Shadows launch.

The gift will consist of two parts, and will be distributed per character, not per account. This means each character will receive Item #1 and Item #2 (see below). The actual date for these gifts has not yet been decided, but players should expect to see these come to the game in one of our upcoming publishes (basically, once we’re out of immediate bug-fixing mode)."

I don't see anywhere that says the characters have to have already existed. It says that it is per character, which was what the advanced settler rewards were, so why would any of us expect that we couldn't delete a character and start a new one...

So to sum it up:
1) account status during the the launch should be a factor. (if they wern't playing during the lag and bugs, why give them the rewards for sticking it out.)
2) current account status should be a facter to prevent people from reactivating accounts they had just to place houses etc. just to get extra rewards.
3) any accounts that were active at the time of the launch, and that were created for pretty much the next 2 months should be able to get the gifts because thier game play experiance was effected.
4) It should not be based on character age, as those of us with new characters still suffered through this time.

M

michellembrodeur

sorry Vex, just to really clarify.

My char is at 115 magery. Never got the +20 magery scroll.
Will the +5 Skill take me to 120 without the +20 magery scroll?

Only question I am asking, your post was clear on the rest.

K

Kurgan

This makes no sence..

**The skill or stat cap increase happens immediately when you confirm your choice and is not delivered as a scroll or other item. The wizard will not let you attempt to increase a skill that is capped. Also, if you are at your total skill cap, the wizard checks to see if you have enough skills set to lower so that you can gain your chosen skill. (It also requires that your chosen skill actually be set to raise.) Also, if the skill you've chosen to increase is within 5 points of its cap (meaning you won't get the full 5 points gain) you'll be warned about it but allowed to continue if you want to.**

I have a char that has used a +15 taming scroll, and is sitting right now at 110 taming. From waht I am getting from this is, that if I use the +5 skill point gain, I will not get to 115 taming???? Thats just wacked...

Or does it mean that, lets say I am at 110.7 taming it will only take it to 115, which is my max.

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

say I am at 110.7 taming it will only take it to 115, which is my max.

<hr></blockquote>

That is exactly what will happen.

L

Lady Malynn

<blockquote><hr>

The name of your character at the time you choose the gift will be stamped on that gift.

<hr></blockquote>

Ok, my vainity going to show here, but Lady Malynn lost her "Lady" title to the bosses - *cough* *cough* - died lots.

Does this mean I can hold off accepting a gift until she has her title back, accept it then, and have it labled "Lady Malynn?"

A

AFTER_ZERO

C

Citern

that is a japanese site, wich most of us here are unable to read i am sure
what it say ?

L

Lord Drake

if i have been previouosly suspended for SOMTHING I DIDNT DO!! will i still be elegabe? can anyone shead some light on this?

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

can anyone shead some light on this?

<hr></blockquote>

Vex already did:

<blockquote><hr>

Account age has no bearing. It's all about character age (i.e. real-life time since character creation) of your characters that existed before the cutoff (whether the account was active or not) are eligible.

<hr></blockquote>

A

AFTER_ZERO

It explains briefly.

http://www.jp.uo.com/boards/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=jpbbs_idea&amp;Number=49315&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;part=1&amp;vc=1

This is posting of jp.uo.com board.
The contents are "It is opposed to the specification which can be made stat MAX255 by only Age of Shadows Lounch Gift."

There is Reply of 44 by about 40 players in this post now.
The all are "in agreement with post."
The number of references is 1035 now and is a higher rank also in post.
However, the contrary opinion has not come out till present.

M

Machi

Vex,

I do hope you reconsider the cutoff date. I've recently returned to UO after 6 months break. I've also started on a different server (Baja) since Oceania has became way too laggy for me.

In this case, I won't be receiving the stat bonus. I understand that you do not want players to create characters just to trade away the gifts. But as I understand the stat bonus will apply to the character Immediately. So It can't be traded away.

Personally, I do not really mind the gifts. I've missed out on alot of holiday gifts etc but they don't really affect my character/gameplay. The Stat bonus is a significant bonus that has affect on everyones template and gameplay. I am very dissappointed that I won't be receiving it.

Since Stat bonuses can't be traded, theres no harm in providing it to all characters. Its not like I could create chars on another server just to trade the stat bonuses for my chars on Baja.

Thanks.

R

Raiden(GTH)

<blockquote><hr>

I do hope you reconsider the cutoff date. I've recently returned to UO after 6 months break.

<hr></blockquote>

Then I guess you missed the first two weeks that AoS came out. These two weeks are the main reason we are getting the rewards. They are not gifts for just upgrading to AoS because people without the upgrade get them. They are gifts for hanging around after those weeks although they were extremely bad.

Sorry you missed all the joy of those weeks. I couldn't login for 3 days and whenever I did get in, I was always locked up and booted back out to spend another hour trying to get in.

J

JayCee

did we miss the point of the gifts? It wasn't just to give away gifts was it? I thought, as I am sure others did, that it was to try to make up for the AoS launch which caused the game to be unplayable for many for about 2 months, caused people to lose items, and tons a bugs and exploits?

Now people are saying they want the gifts when their accounts wern't even active at the time, and it appears that some of those people are going to get the gifts, but many people that played through "the worst of times" (ok there have probably been worse) won't get the gifts based on character age.

But hey, some of people that wern't playing or even paying for their accounts during that time will be able to collect, so its all good!!! ; )

J

Jinza the Archer

Aye...those were the best 2 weeks of my UO life. Darn registration site too, eh?!

Thanks for the info, Vex!!

If I understand correctly -- the +5 stat gift will increase the default stat cap to 230. That's pretty much it, I assume. The gift works very different from the actual stat scroll. Excellent!! Can't wait to use my +10 scroll! Whoohoo!!

M

Machi

Yea, I did miss those 2 weeks.

I bought the AoS expansion as soon as it hit a retail store in my country. I wish I could have gotten it by pre-order but I don't have a credit card /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif I would've liked the shroud too, but I can live without it.

Anyways, as JayCee said, accounts with characters before the cutoff get the gifts, whether or not they were active.

The wearable gifts I really do not care about, they can be purchased/traded in game if I wanted it bad enough. The stat bonuses won't be available to me even if I was willing to pay the price. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

T

Thunderclap

So when is the earliest a character could be created and still get the gifts? I activated this account under LBR at the beginning of May (they were out of AOS). It will be my second. So will I get the awards?

ThunderClap

G

Grace RH

Like many others, I am very disapointed at the way the gift distribution is being handled.

You introduce new skills and then wonder why people would delete their old chars after messing around a bit. Some peeps just like to start from scratch when a new template is devised in their head.

Some say, oh, but would you not have wanted to make sure you created a new char during the item bless deed promo? To that, I say no. Not with item insurance. Plus, It took time and thought to decide to start over on my char. By the time I knew what I wanted to do, the item bless deeds where over and done with, and blimey, I could care less.

But this is just nuts that my 29 month account has only one char who will now get the gifts because, yes, I deleted and redid two chars from scratch. And sadly, the one char who can get the stat/skill scroll is the one who needs it the least.

There must be a way to reward entire accounts who went thru the AOS launch. You gave us no warning after you announced the gift program that it would only work for chars made pre or during the launch.

And you must must must realize that even a plus five stat scroll goes for a price that many of us casual gamers will never be able to amass ( hell, I play constantly, but still consider myself a casual player seeing as I can't afford a measly five stat scroll)

Anyway, in short, this just bites.

S

SirWillow

Machi, if it helps, I was able to test it out on test center today, including on one char that I created about a month ago on Baja and they got the gift gump like all my established characters did. So if you've been back for a month or more, it appears that you should be in good shape.

At least from what I saw on test.

G

Grace RH

Ok, replying to myself here /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

but just had a thought about how to not worry about a big cross shard thing

well, just make it like vet rewards! you get a gump saying that you can have one to five gifts on the shard you log into.

If you have one char on that shard then you get one gift, five on that shard you get five gifts (one per char of course)

but once you activate that gump you will not be able to activate it on another shard for that same account.

Well, just thinking here

I

Inspiration

I think OSI have approached this slightly wrong. With their current reward system, only characters who are older than AOS or newly born just after AOS will be rewarded. The obvious basis behind this is to reward those who suffered during the problems. But their logic suggests that they are only prepared to reward people with long term characters, and that in itself suggests that they feel players care more about damage done to characters than about having problems while playing *the game*.

OSI can approach it in two ways ...

- Show concern about characters
- Show concern about players actually having problems playing the game, regardless of what they are doing inside the game at the time

OSI have gone for the first.

If OSI are "refunding" players with a reward for all the problems post AOS, then imo they should be saying sorry for the problems you had with the game, not with your characters, and in turn, they should be giving this reward to anyone with an account age older or just past AOS introduction. They need to be saying sorry to anyone who was playing the game during the bad times.

To say "Oh well you have a 69 month account but your character is only 3 weeks old, sorry, no reward for you" is wrong. OSI need to remember that we *pay them money* every month, regardless of if our character is 1 day old, 1 month old, 5 years old. Anyone who has had an active account during the problems should be rewarded because they paid for a service that was broken. If OSI can't prove you logged in and suffered during those times, then thats their problem.

Or even better. Figure out which accounts paid them money during the "bad months" and give them the rewards. But yeah that takes too much work. Why spend time figuring that out when they can just write one line of code.

Just my thoughts..

I

imported_lindylou

Dang! I was so looking forward to a pair of PURKLE sandals and you say we are stuck with "elemental hues"? Bummer /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sad.gif PURKLE is the only good color for a spiffy pair of sandals.

B

blublub_9

It's always nice with gifts and these ones seems to be realy nice.

I have some concerns however about some of them. As resistance is all bound to items I feel that all wearables gifts should give +3 resistance as the veteran robes do. Else I see no point in wearing them as most of us will have the vet. robe and cape on to get the resistance. Just make them so they wont stack with more then 2 clothe types regarding resistance. what would be the max resistance one could get if they could stack? Mabey it sould make sence to let em stack?

The stat scrolls are nice but if you haven't scrolled your character they make no point as they are now. Let them set the new "low" stat cap for 230 so we unfortunet ones that haven't scrolled our chars yet can reach 255 as well.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Account age has no bearing. It's all about character age (i.e. real-life time since character creation). All of your characters that existed before the cutoff (whether the account was active or not) are eligible.

<hr></blockquote>You should go by account age not character age. UO was virtually unplayable for two solid weeks after the AoS launch and marginal for a full month. It was not the UO characters that OSI put through that mess it was your real life paying customers. For a change why don’t you guys do the right thing and extend the gifts to all accounts that were active pre-AoS and created within the first two weeks of the launch. If you don’t, then this is just another example of how EA/OSI just does not "get it".

C

Cyne

<blockquote><hr>

Let them set the new "low" stat cap for 230 so we unfortunet ones that haven't scrolled our chars yet can reach 255 as well.

<hr></blockquote>

If you read Vex's posts, he's saying that is exactly what they WILL do.

Also, they're not items but instant effects that are activated through the gift menu.

S

-Saul- (SP)

This is just plain wrong.

So the 3 characters I deleted and remade about 2 weeks ago wont get the reward.

Oh, I guess cause THEY didnt suffer through the downtime that its okay that they dont get anything. Its not like the PLAYER BEHIND THE KEYBOARD is experianced the frustrations.

Hmmm lets see:
New skills, new strategies get added. People remake characters.'
As more news comes in of upcoming patches, some people remake characters again.

So right after we get a good scoop of whats coming in P18, some of us preparing for it, they tell us that only characters with a cutoff date will get the rewards.

That leaves me 1 character on the non Siege server I play, out of FOUR, who will be able to claim this gift.

You guys just DONT GET IT do you.

You dont reward peoples characters, because you WILL SCREW MANY OF US OVER IF YOU DO IT THAT WAY.

You need to give these gifts to the PLAYERS, not the characters, your idea of not rewarding latecomers be DAMNED.

And for those of you who say just dont take the gifts if you arent pleased, Id say that a +5 stat scroll certainly adds to the competition.

And a question, will SP be getting the rewards?
I played during those 2 weeks, Siege didnt have AoS. But we still experianced problems just trying to log in.
I recreated my character a week ago in light of new information about P18. Now, if we can even get these gifts on Siege, I will be screwed out of it because you guys didnt tell us anything about a cutoff date?

REAAAAAAAAL smooth move.
This gift is gonna piss a lot of people off.
Oh but its just a gift! Bulls***. It adds to the competitive environment.

ANYONE with an active account during the times of tribulations should get this gift. PERIOD.

How hard can it be to only offer it to ANY prexisting characters?
Characters made before the publish. Just not any newly created characters made after the publish.
That would maintain your good idea of keeping proliferation of these items down, but ALSO would close the INSANELY LARGE CRACK that MANY players will fall through, simply for trying to adapt to a changing game.

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

on one char that I created about a month ago on Baja and they got the gift gump

<hr></blockquote>

The gifts will be available to any character created up through the beginning of this week - though the gump might not actually appear for a few weeks after Pub18 is published.

G

"The gifts will be available to any character created up through the beginning of this week - though the gump might not actually appear for a few weeks after Pub18 is published. "

Thank you /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

And now that we know..... DON'T DELETE YOUR CHARS UNTIL AFTER PUB 18!

C

cherub

could you please fix something for me , PLEASE!! i was really looking foward to getting a 5 point skill gain when pub 18 comes out,,

BUT ALAS, it doesnt look like i will get it since YOU forgot to add the BEGGING skill to your list...............*STOMPS FEET* could you please add it to the 5 point skill increase list, please, please , please!!!!!!!!!

also, i didnt see the cooking, camping, item id, taste id skills either!!!!!!!!!..

there are some of us that play that still uses the forgotten skills!!!!!!!!

F

frankieboyde

...and could you please add an option to the gifts, that only the char name is shown, some thing like "a sash from XXX".

Thanks. I really don´t think I will find most of the additional text funny in a year or 2...

G

I have my cook at 95 and I am very disappointed I don't get to use the 5 point skill gain to make her 100. =(

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

I have my cook at 95 and I am very disappointed I don't get to use the 5 point skill gain to make her 100. =(

<hr></blockquote>

Huh? Why can't you? Your cooking skill cap is 100, you have 95. You can use the +5 to get to 100. However if you were at 100 and have not used a power skill scroll to increase your skill cap to 105, 110 etc, then you CAN'T use the +5 gift to increase your skill unless you used a skill powerscroll first.

T

terranbeau

ADD THE HATS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no outfit can't be complete without hats!!!! why do this half way when you can do it completely?!?!?! this will add even more items to chose from!!! PLEASE ADD THE HATS!!! don't just leave it with shoes and clothing add the hats!!!!! i want a jester hat ;(

P

Portman

Wow this AoS Launch Reward is a sure way to entice people who didn't play anymore to come back! I know I'll come back.

Smart move OSI

Thanks a lot Vex!

G

ADD THE HATS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no outfit can't be complete without hats!!!!

Yes, please! Add the hats. Add the jester hat. and....I love the hats, especially the floppy and the bonnet! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Please!!!!

I

imported_Samwise

I think he isn't responding because it would be too difficult to give AoS gifts to all shards except Mujen, especially at this late date.

I

imported_Samwise

<blockquote><hr>

Huh? Why can't you? Your cooking skill cap is 100, you have 95. You can use the +5 to get to 100. However if you were at 100 and have not used a power skill scroll to increase your skill cap to 105, 110 etc, then you CAN'T use the +5 gift to increase your skill unless you used a skill powerscroll first.

<hr></blockquote>
I think the problem that Chisty1221 is referring to is that cooking, begging and a few other skills got left off the list of skills you can choose to have increased. Hopefully the developers will fix that oversight before the publish goes live.

I

imported_Woody

Will this +5 skill gain work with skills such as mining ? So we can get 110 mining with the +5 skill gain "gift" and the +5 ringmail gloves of mining ? Or just skills that already currently have powerscrolls for them ?

I

imported_Jade_GUL

<blockquote><hr>

Huh? Why can't you?

<hr></blockquote>
Because cooking (and a few other skills) are excluded from the list of skills you can raise with the gift.

U

uohamster

<blockquote><hr>

The stat cap increase is cumulative with power scroll stat cap increases. If you gain +5 now through this gift, bringing your cap to 230, then if you use a +10 scroll later your cap will go up to 240. The maximum possible stat cap is now 255, which you can get by the +5 from this gift and a +25 scroll (used in any order).

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for clearing up the confusion on this issue "(used in any order)." I thought myself that we needed to use scrolls first and then the gift.

I like it much more this way...will be nice to choose the +5 stats on all characters, and then someday if I can somehow get my paws on a +25 stat scroll, I'll be able to get the full boost from it.

Thanks!!

A

AFTER_ZERO

Yes, Yes. I can buy +25 stat power scroll. And +5 stat bonus gift can also be got.

However, what does the Newbie player which starts Ultima Online after pub 19 become?
They could also buy +25 stat power scroll someday. However, they cannot get +5 stat bonus gift!
My stat MAX will be set to 255 with this gift. However, their stat MAX is not set to 250.

The difference of stat MAX of 5 is not buried eternally!!!

Many players of Japan Shard have noticed this important problem.
And it has appealed as "+5 stat bonus gift is not required for Asuka, Hokuto, Izumo, Mizuho, Mugen, Sakura, Wakoku, and Yamato Shard!!!" in jp.uo.com board.

E

EtherealFromNapa

"The gifts will be available to any character created up through the beginning of this week - though the gump might not actually appear for a few weeks after Pub18 is published.
Edited by Vex (05/16/03 08:24 AM)"

ty ty ty Vex! this sure makes me feel better! just one thing would make me even happier, and that is to have our name on the item be optional (please, please, pretty please with sugar on top?)

I

imported_Woody

I will post my thoughts on some statements that I have seen. They are not a flame or anything , so please don't take it that way.

I myself had deleted/created chars before finding this out. I do not visit this site much , except to read about skill building. I for one am gratefull for these gifts they are giving us. Notice the word "GIFTS". They did NOT have to give us these. They are doing it as form of good gesture/faith for any and all problems that we endured since AoS was released. Though I maybe wrong as to why exactly they are giving us these , the fact of the matter remains , they are doing something for us. Wether its to say thank you for whatever reason it may be, an act of faith for those who complained nonstop about the mess ups in AoS, or what have you. The whole point of a "GIFT" is for it to be a suprise , for you NOT to know about it till its given to you , and others. WHY must you people beg/nag for more ? Can you not be happy with what you are going to get reguardless ? Remember , they did NOT have to do this at all. Please be gratefull your even going to get it on the chars that will get them. I do not understand why people always want more than what they were given. Like they say , "Give them an inch and they want a mile." Point is , be happy with what you got/get , don't bite the hand that feeds you , or you may never be fed again.

V

Vit

E N O U G H of me!

I want to say goodbye UO!

The endless disapointments broke my addiction . All members of my guild are leaving.
3 years time waste...
All items will be deleted, accounts will be closed (not sold).

Farewell.........

E

EtherealFromNapa

i think the reason ppl ask for different things or optional changes ( as i did) are because when it was first announced on UO boards, that we would be getting gifts, the Devs asked us for ideas of what we would like.....and..
then when the gifts were decided on and announced, some ppl asked for small changes or added item ( like that nice vest thingy one can wear over armour, or that the rose would be somehow different than the whispering roses.) and the Devs granted that wish (!).... i certainly didnt mean to appear greedy as above was the first post i ever made reguarding the gifts, and i know some other ppl as well as myself would think that having our name be optional, would be a pretty cool option /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif thats all.

S

-Soken-

Ill have to say Aye on the 'Optional' Name on the gifts. I dont think it should be mandatory. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

what do you mean by ""+5 stat bonus gift is not required" for the Japanese shards. Will ALL players on Japanese shards automatically get the +5 stat bonus?

As to newbie players after PUb 19; The gifts are meant for the people who lived through all the AoS problems. So players ( or characters created after that ) will be limted to 250. But I don't think the difference between 250 and 255 is so big that it will unbalance the game. After all, most players will never be able to buy a stat+25 anyway.

B

balbazar

AoS launch gifts? I hate sounding dumb.., but often can't avoid it. What are you reffering to? Did I miss something? I have 2 very old account that i've use on and off, on for 2 months pre-ordered AoS and everything. Am i do some gifts?