• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Importance of the Focus for an Archer

Bleda The Hun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am new on ultima. I am trying to get an archer char. As I read Archery templates, I have seen that there is no focus skill on these templates. Is Focus necasssary for arhers or not ?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all warriors, having the Focus skill is a matter of individual needs. Same with archers.

All warriors need mana and need to maintain it.

Some swear you can maintain enough by having high levels of life leach on your weapon and mana regeneration on your armor. Some like the Meditation skill which regenerates Mana really fast, but requires leather armor or other armor with the "mage armor" property. It's more-associated with mages but a particularly mana-dependent warrior may also find it useful. And of course some like the Focus skill (aka "Battle Focus") which regenerates mana slower than Meditation but does not require that one have leather armor or "Mage Armor" Pieces, and also regenerates Stamina.

It's all an individual needs thing. That's actually one of our favorite things about UO, the way one's template can be individuated.

Welcome aboard!

-Galen's player

Bleda The Hun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can compensate the benefit of focus skill with armors and weapons that I equiped you mean ? Thanks alot. Now I need to change my focus skill with another usefull skill as I understant. what a pity that I found this forum one month after starting the game :)

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can compensate the benefit of focus skill with armors and weapons that I equiped you mean ? Thanks alot. Now I need to change my focus skill with another usefull skill as I understant. what a pity that I found this forum one month after starting the game :)
You can so-compensate to some extent.

Weapons have a property called Hit Stamina Leach and another called Hit Mana Leach; these properties do about what it sounds like they do, gives you some Mana or Stamina based on damage you deal to your enemy. (More specifics can be found someplace else here at Stratics and at a separate UO-themed wiki called the UO Guide, or both.) (They are less effective on bows than on hand to hand weapons but are still quite effective, especially considering the high damage output some bows have.)

Armor has properties called Mana Regeneration and Stamina Regeneration. They do pretty much what it sounds like they do, make those stats regenerate.

The catch is that Mana Regeneration is much more effective if you have already have Focus or Meditation on your template!

But, some still swear that enough Mana Regeneration plus Hit Mana Leach (especially the latter) gets you around needing to have Focus or Meditation. And thus have neither. I, incidentally, am still a big proponent of having Meditation or Focus. But many others disagree with me.

It's really a personal decision and results may differ by player and character.

You have to decide and learn what works for you and your character.

The beauty and the horror of UO is in the variety. It can be liberating and overwhelming at the same time. And the ****ed up thing is that there's even more variety than most of us veteran players think there is!

-Galen's player

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion, I would not use skill points for focus unless you were using it to pair with Mysticism. You can more than adequately make up for the regeneration benefits with some mods on your suit. If you need more mana, consider HML on your weapon and LMC and MR on your suit. If you must use skill points, going with meditation over focus for the faster mana regen rate. Do realize that you need leather or mage armor on wood/metal for the regen to effect of med to work at max efficiency.