• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Imbuing clarification

W

Wencit

OKie all this talk about what can and cannot and how it breaks down etc, where can I find out exactly how to embu?? what skills, equipment and how to run that forge thing. thank you

M

Miracle Max

kaldera4,
I do not mean to sound ugly. Please do not take offense. I am aware that an item can be fortified prior to imbuing. I am also aware that once it is imbued that it can not be fortified. My question is directed to the developers. WHY is the system set up like this? What horrible game stopping problems would arise if the items could be fortified after being imbued? I do not see any logic in it.

D

Drawde2

It's to make it so that the items don't last forever. Once imbued, the item will eventually break, even with repairs, and you'll have to replace it. So the imbuers can sell items, and still have return customers.

It's also part of the tradeoff for the relative ease of getting a powerful item of your choice. Unlike artifacts, which often have abilities you don't want, and are harder to get. You get to choose the abilities, but you'll also have to replace the item eventually.

B

Beastmaster

Maybe they need to allow "self repair" as a mod. True it would take up 1 of the 5 slots but the trade off would be an item that may not wear out.

M

Miracle Max

Drawde2,
You say:
"It's to make it so that the items don't last forever. Once imbued, the item will eventually break, even with repairs, and you'll have to replace it. So the imbuers can sell items, and still have return customers."

I do not doubt that imbuers will benefit greatly from having return customers. I have often thought that crafters in general should also be able to have customers. It sounds like crafters will either embrace imbuing or perish. I do not see a reason why crafters will even be needed. I had hoped that the Devs would at least allow legendary crafters to repair without fail or to apply POF on items that have been imbued. That would at least give crafters a reason to exist.
I am sure a person that has worked very hard to develop imbuing to legendary level will want to make some money selling his products. After all the time and effort he/she has devoted to training that skill, it only seems reasonable that they should be able to at least make a small profit. One would think that all players who put time and effort into developing a crafting skill to it's fullest potential mite be able to enjoy some customers and a small profit too.

You also say:
"It's also part of the tradeoff for the relative ease of getting a powerful item of your choice. Unlike artifacts, which often have abilities you don't want, and are harder to get. You get to choose the abilities, but you'll also have to replace the item eventually."

The quote you give above leads me back to my original question WHY. You say trade-off. That does not answer the question. That is the question. How would the game suffer from Allowing items to be fortified or repaired without fail by crafters? I hope that this argument does not sound mean or hateful that is not my intent. I am not spoiling for a fight and do not wish to irritate or aggravate anyone on the forums. I just have seen no evidence or heard any explanation that leads me to believe imbuing will not make the other crafting skills obsolete.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would it?

I started training imbuing by making daggers with a dull copper hammer. I unravelled most of them for gains, but my skill wasn't high enough to unravel the slayers. I could just as easily used them as a base to imbue a better item. Imbuing can work out pretty costly, but with a runic-made piece to start with, that cost can be reduced.
I'm expecting my crafter to be really busy, not only will she still need to make bombs, bolas, apples, shuriken, bone machete, butcher cleavers, arcane wear, potion kegs, fukiya darts etc, she'll also now be making natural dyes and maybe the occasional basket.

D

Drawde2

The quote you give above leads me back to my original question WHY. You say trade-off. That does not answer the question. That is the question. How would the game suffer from Allowing items to be fortified or repaired without fail by crafters? I hope that this argument does not sound mean or hateful that is not my intent. I am not spoiling for a fight and do not wish to irritate or aggravate anyone on the forums. I just have seen no evidence or heard any explanation that leads me to believe imbuing will not make the other crafting skills obsolete.
Because then they'd never break. People would just keep fortifying them like they do with the artifacts they have currently. Unlike the artifacts, these are relatively easy to make, and you can decide what to make. So they'll break more often to compensate, AND to give imbuers more customers.

M

Miracle Max

Petra,
I understand that having a Black smith is a HUGE help to Imbuing and that IF you want to have an imbuer then your smith will be very busy indeed. If you do NOT have an imbuer then you have a skill that has been reduced to selling repair service deeds. I have no doubt that Imbuing is greatly benefited by having a smith. What I fail to see is how Smithing is benefited by having an Imbuer. Yes you are correct that making dyes and darts and baskets is available to some classes of crafters. That is not what I am speaking of. Tinkers make a variety of goods as do Tailors, as do all of the other crafting skills except one. Smiths only make weapons and armor that is what they do. If I choose not to embrace Imbuing then my smith does what? who will buy the awesome sword I just made with my val hammer? Why would anyone pay for it? The answer is they wont. My services as a smith are now useless unless I choose to become an imbuer. I can equate this to players suddenly learning that their mage's spells only do 1/5 of the damage they used to unless they learn yet another skill. You like Imbuing, but what if for whatever reason you did not like it or could not train that skill? What would your smith do then? Bottom line is I resent the fact that the one skill of imbuing allows a player to do what crafters have been begging for for years. My smith does not receive any benefit from imbuing. Which is fine I do not expect to have handouts. I do expect to have the skill I worked on so long to remain viable. Smithing is not like taste id. Taste ID is known by everyone to be a useless skill. If you waste time and points training Taste ID and find that it provides you with no fulfillment then shame on you. Smithing was not a useless skill and the players that trained in it knew the benefits and limitations. Now Smithing will not provide what it did before unless you choose to go with imbuing as well. Imbuing is the crafting equivalent of the mafia taking over the neighborhood. You will embrace Imbuing and provide materials to support it or you will go outta business.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My smith very seldom makes weapons or armor tbh, maybe it's because she's on Siege.

She makes, and sells in large quantities, shuriken, butchers war cleavers and bone machete besides, of course, repair deeds. Any weapons she sells are usually the 'rejects' when someone has asked her to 'burn a hammer' for them. They keep the ones that meet the criteria they wanted and usually leave the rest as the 'fee' She also has several other craft skills.
Having said that, I fully intend to train imbuing, if only for the benefit of my own characters.

Big Wang

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not found this anywhere in any postings here...not checked other threads for this question or input on this so thought i'd ask here and hope i get a dev answer.

Gargoyles can not wear gloves and hats. On open beta i noticed when i imbue'd jewelry like bracelets, rings and earrings..only the earrings stated "gargoyle only"

My question is will that remain? And if so does that mean that elves/humans can wear imbue'd bracelets and rings just not earrings?

I did not try a necklace but will they fall under gargoyles only or can they be imbued as well and worn by any race?

Oh also...for imbuing do u need any other skill to go with it for it to be successful? such as smithing, mysticism, eval, etc.?

Thanks again :)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gargoyle-only: earrings yes (because they replace the hat slot), rings I believe are supposed to be race-neutral.

unless things change in the last few days (which is still possible), you don't need any extra skill - imbuing is all you need to imbue (although using an exceptionally crafted item helps).

*ponders if this thread should be unstickied and allowed to drop since much of the information in it is now obsolete*