• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

im worried about my sampire's damage...

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi guys. after watching a sampire in action on my abc archer i made myself a sampire.

ive listed my suits stats somewhere else on these forums, but the main parts are 100% di and 172 stamina (i need a crimmy and 3 more dex on my ring to get the magic 180)

ive been learning (at great expense) how to play this character, and ive had fun times at champs solo or duo with her.

the problem im having, is i lean towards using my radiant scimitar instead of my ornate axe, because of my stamina. should i be doing that? or should i use the axe at 172 stamina anyway? (it has 30 ias)

ive been fighting miasma's a lot, farming mats for my own imbuer, and im only doing 78-85 damage non crit with EoO, max perfection and 100% di from items. ive read a few times on these forums that i should be doing over 100 damage consistantly to be able to leech enough to stay alive against the harder mobs...

is that about right? or should i be using the ornate even though its not at max swing speed?

P

pgcd

Actually, I survive against DH rather nicely by doing 90ish (crits excluded) with a Diamond Mace. I also survive when I use my scimitar, even though the dps is a bit lower (75/80, I'd say) - but in this case I need to be a lot more careful, especially when deciding on the stance to use (confidence, evasion or counterattack).

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, so im doing similar damage to you, i thought id missed something somewhere.

i havent tried dh yet, in my excitement to see what i can and cant kill with the sampire as i finished the training, i took out my ready to bond swampy, forgot to feed it, and got myself, and it, killed. so i've been waiting all week for another swampy to bond. figure ill save myself the deaths, 20% damage reduction is alot lol.

im still learning to use the stances... i havent gone near counter attack yet though, how should that one be used? what sort of circumstances? im getting used to evasion and confidence. learning how to use evasion means that now i dont hate reptalons *so* much lol :)

S

Stupid Miner

hi guys. after watching a sampire in action on my abc archer i made myself a sampire.

ive listed my suits stats somewhere else on these forums, but the main parts are 100% di and 172 stamina (i need a crimmy and 3 more dex on my ring to get the magic 180)

ive been learning (at great expense) how to play this character, and ive had fun times at champs solo or duo with her.

the problem im having, is i lean towards using my radiant scimitar instead of my ornate axe, because of my stamina. should i be doing that? or should i use the axe at 172 stamina anyway? (it has 30 ias)

ive been fighting miasma's a lot, farming mats for my own imbuer, and im only doing 78-85 damage non crit with EoO, max perfection and 100% di from items. ive read a few times on these forums that i should be doing over 100 damage consistantly to be able to leech enough to stay alive against the harder mobs...

is that about right? or should i be using the ornate even though its not at max swing speed?
First off I'll mention, I'm not exactly using a sampire template, though I am using the basics: samurai+vamp form.

I have 120 stamina and use 25-30 (+5) SSI scimitars and do just fine. 180 stamina and ~30 SSI may be a bit overkill on the speed (you'd swing at my speed even with 0 SSI, so you could put something else in that spot)

Here's a handy SSI chart: http://www.woosworld.net/uo/pub40ssi/
Choose for yourself, I do fine doing that amount of damage, but you also have a ton less leech than I do. (though i could probably manage a lot of things without the extra leech)

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on my scimitar i have 40 mana leech and 50 stamina leech, how much leeches do you have on a 1h?

i think i might have to look into getting a runeblade, looking at the ssi calculator, a runeblade with close to 180 stam and 30% ssi would keep me swinging hard and fast for a long while.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, so im doing similar damage to you, i thought id missed something somewhere.

i havent tried dh yet, in my excitement to see what i can and cant kill with the sampire as i finished the training, i took out my ready to bond swampy, forgot to feed it, and got myself, and it, killed. so i've been waiting all week for another swampy to bond. figure ill save myself the deaths, 20% damage reduction is alot lol.

im still learning to use the stances... i havent gone near counter attack yet though, how should that one be used? what sort of circumstances? im getting used to evasion and confidence. learning how to use evasion means that now i dont hate reptalons *so* much lol :)
I keep counter attack toggled ALL the time. Its nice when you swing normally crit, and then get a crit from a counter attack swing. It isn't very mana heavy, and actually generates more mana than it uses when your mana leech goes off.

I save evade for when I get below 70 HP.

I never use confidence. I have healing!

C

Connor_Graham

I never use confidence. I have healing!
I've been tossing around the idea of dropping parry, adding healing, and bumping tactics up to 120 for the extra 20% base damage increase. I haven't tried it yet, but I made an imbued daisho today that I'm going to try out against para succubi and see how things go.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll use slayers for demons and silver farming, I'll use them for farming bouras, but when it comes to peerless or anything like that no way.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been tossing around the idea of dropping parry, adding healing, and bumping tactics up to 120 for the extra 20% base damage increase. I haven't tried it yet, but I made an imbued daisho today that I'm going to try out against para succubi and see how things go.
would healing make up for the extra damage you take from no parry?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Radiant Scimitar (fastest/least damage)
Daisho
Rune Blade <-- you need to be here atm (with 20 ssi)
Ornate Axe (slowest/most damage)

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except for Evasion, it's marginably noticeable.
so why bother with parry atall?

Radiant Scimitar (fastest/least damage)
Daisho
Rune Blade <-- you need to be here atm (with 20 ssi)
Ornate Axe (slowest/most damage)
is this the general consensus? if so, i need to get me a new weapon... im getting a Daisho made for feint... do i need a runeblade aswell?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So if you go 0 parry with 120 Bushido do you carry a shield with a 1-handed weapon? If I remember correctly you have the same chance to parry with or without a shield at 0 parry and 120 bush (or is my memory wrong?).

-OBSIDIAN-

C

Connor_Graham

So if you go 0 parry with 120 Bushido do you carry a shield with a 1-handed weapon? If I remember correctly you have the same chance to parry with or without a shield at 0 parry and 120 bush (or is my memory wrong?).

-OBSIDIAN-
That would depend on what weapon I'm planning on using. If I'm going to fight something that hits like a truck, then I'll use the daisho for feint, if something like champs or mini champs, then I'd go with an HCI/DCI shield and a twink, if something that's easily killed, then the ornate. Something in between what I'd need the ornate for or the daisho, then I'd use a rune blade. I'm hoping the addition of healing will make up for the lack of parry, not to mention the extra 20% base damage increase from going with 120 tactics which will give me that much more damage to leech life from.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
connor, when are you trying this? itd be very interesting to see how that turns out... though itd mean getting a 120 tactics scroll... but it cant be too bad im sure.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There is a frequent poster on this forum that talks about using his sampire with 0 parry... I'm trying to remember who so I can re-read his posts on his template. Do you guys remember?

-OBSIDIAN-

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a template that does not use parry and have healing instead. With that template you keep counter attack on at all times and gain extra leech/ damage that way.

C

Connor_Graham

connor, when are you trying this? itd be very interesting to see how that turns out... though itd mean getting a 120 tactics scroll... but it cant be too bad im sure.
Tomorrow if I can find time. I'd planned on heading down to Blood dungeon anyway to get Connor's fame and karma back up from sacrificing to get back to knight and from beating on faery dragons. They sure do kill karma. I lost 2 seconds off EoO and at least 1 sec off Cons Wep and I need to get those back. I got a lot done today so hopefully I can squeeze in some time down there.

S

Stupid Miner

so why bother with parry at all?
*shrugs*
I don't.

Evasion's useful, but parry will only reduce your chance to get hit... ~8-9% at GM+ skill. (Assuming you have a weapon skill with 45% DCI)
Most people don't know that I guess.

The skill does have uses for non-fighters' defense in particular.

A

anvira

So in all honesty if you run with the max 45% DCI you shouldn't see a *huge* effect w/o parry?

Just trying to understand because I'm currently building a sampire and don't wanna waste my time with it if the chance to block is marginal ~ and to me 8-9% is very very marginal.

Thanks!

C

Connor_Graham

I just got done testing the new template against both Miasma and para succubi. Miasma was a cakewalk as usual, though I did notice a slight increase in how often I was getting hit. I was using my normal scorp slayer ornate, so had to hit DF a few times, but with the healing on there, it wasn't an issue, and really only used it to get rid of poison. Succubi were really easy using Feint, even easier than with the old template. I'm going to test it out more before I try a peerless with it, but it's looking like it should work pretty well.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrugs*
I don't.

Evasion's useful, but parry will only reduce your chance to get hit... ~8-9% at GM+ skill. (Assuming you have a weapon skill with 45% DCI)
Most people don't know that I guess.

The skill does have uses for non-fighters' defense in particular.
Where do you get the 8-9% from?

At 120 parry/bush you have a 35% chance to block a hit with a 1 hander.

At GM parry/bush you have a 25% chance to block a hit with a 1 hander.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's a matter of perspective.

With 0 parry and 120 weapon against a 90 wrestling Dread Horn, while using a weapon with hit lower attack, you will get hit 20.3% of the time (source = hit chance formula from both stratics and uoguide).

If you add in 120 parry, you'll then parry 40% of the time after that (with two handed weapon) or 8.2% parry rate (8.2% of every swing the Dread Horn makes gets parried). You'll only actually get hit 12.1% of the time.

The number gets higher for the other peerless.

So the question is (and I've actually never thought of it before, thanks miner, I may try it!), is one hit in every twelve swings parried actually worth it for a sampire? I think I'll test that. I have just the character for it.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so, i was playing about with Rikktor earlier (i have NO idea if he is actually soloable, but tbh i dont see why not). i didnt beat him, but i didnt really expect to, i got plenty of SoT's so i was happy. i had no swampy, so was taking buttloads of damage from him (even with jousting), so i couldnt toe-to-toe him, i had to keep moving, which was making leeching difficult... i think having healing would have swung the fight in my favour tbh, what do you guys think?

im quite interested in this idea of dropping parry in favour of 120 tactics and 100 healing, how are people doing with the template so far?

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a new day, a new post eh... any news on dropping parry for 120 tactics and 100healing? you guys that are testing it out, have you had any good or bad experiences todaY?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess it could work.. but there are a lot of mobs out there that swing at max speed and three consecutive hits will kill you. I dont see how giving up a 40% chance to parry a blow is worth it.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I ran without parry back before SA. Then I immediately switched to Lynk's template. So much better.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive been considering lynks template, though it would require a complete rehash of my suit... do you have a run down of what your suit consists of anywhere on the forums lynk? or is it just a case of squeezing the skills onto jewelery and sitting with a spreadsheet trying to work it out for a while? (are there any key points taht shouldnt be missed)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He uses faction artifacts. Heart of the Lion, Mace and Shields and Crimson Cincture.

Doable without, just lower resists and such. I don't use faction stuff, but my suit isn't great :/

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Connor,

Just curious if you've done any more testing of this build variation on the sampire. Sounded like your initial tests were promising, so I was curious.

Thanks!

C

Connor_Graham

I've successfully solo'd Barracoon several times with the new template. I haven't done anything more extensive than that though.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Paroxysmus is easier to solo with the no parry template IMO, and Dread is still very doable. That's all I ever did when I used that template, so can't really say much more than that. :/

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive been considering lynks template, though it would require a complete rehash of my suit... do you have a run down of what your suit consists of anywhere on the forums lynk? or is it just a case of squeezing the skills onto jewelery and sitting with a spreadsheet trying to work it out for a while? (are there any key points taht shouldnt be missed)
I forget the exact pieces but mace and shield, heart of lion, crimson cincture, midnight bracers, jackals coller, runic gloves and legs to satisfy resist requirements.

Jewels are skill inc/dci/di. I fit HCI in where I can.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need some awesome runic pieces though, especially if you're not in factions. :/

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need some awesome runic pieces though, especially if you're not in factions. :/
Actually its not so bad. Each piece needs 3 resists in the 20s.

What you can actually do now is create normal legendary armor out of regular leather, imbue the resists up as high as possible, and then enhance with the appropriate leather type. Once that is done you can add your stam inc/hpi. Yes you fail to enhance a lot but all you lose is some boura pelts, not a big deal.

I don't personally do that because my suit was built before imbuing, but it is possible.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a quick off topic question about baracoon... what do people do about the slimes? because they **** sword durability.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you go with 2 or 3 decent weapons? or just use stuff like soulseeker for the first couple of levels of spawn?

L

Lady Vengful Spirit

I use a Radiant on my Sampire. The Mods are 56 mana leech, 56 Life leech, 44 Stamina leech, 50 lower defense. I can basically use the weapon against anything including DF's. I think the trick for insuring maximum damage output is remembering to always honor your oponent, Use lightning strike, consecrate weapon and Enemy of one. Lower defense is very important in my opinion. As a sampire you need to hit your target in order to heal yourself, So 40+ lower defense is a definate need. Stamina leech is not as important since you can always just chug a total refresh potion.

My template is
120 swords
107 bushido (120 with ring)
120 parry
100 necro
100 tactics
100 anatomy
70 chiv
Hope this helps

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually its not so bad. Each piece needs 3 resists in the 20s.

What you can actually do now is create normal legendary armor out of regular leather, imbue the resists up as high as possible, and then enhance with the appropriate leather type. Once that is done you can add your stam inc/hpi. Yes you fail to enhance a lot but all you lose is some boura pelts, not a big deal.

I don't personally do that because my suit was built before imbuing, but it is possible.
You lose fort powder too, which is more expensive for me than boura pelts :/

I will have to try that though. Next time I log in, I'll figure out how much of each resist I need and then what leather to enhance with.

S

Stupid Miner

Was digging through some older threads and just noticed this.

Assuming Equal weapon skill, chance to get hit is 50%. With 45% DCI, you get hit 55% of the 50% = 27.5% With 35% chance to block you get hit 65% of the previous 27.5 = 17.875%

So 35% parry gives 9.625% less chance of getting hit.
40% gives 11%
30% gives 8.25%
Probably rounded slightly too much(or miscalculated something), but either way parry's less useful than swamp dragon armor.