• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm huntin Wabbits...

C

Caelas

Seriously. I'm tried of shooting / slicing / blowing up the same old crap...ettins, elementals, harpies...ugh.

I'm a newish player, and I would like to know what I can go out and kill with my wife. She plays a mage, and I play an archer mostly. We love the runs that our guild does, we love the chance at decent loot...I just don't like waiting all week to do those runs. Are there any "mini-bosses" or monsters out there we could kill that have a halfway decent chance of dropping cool stuff? Gems and feathers are okay...but I personally want more.

N

Nenime

... and kill with my wife.
:eek: You want WHAT? Um, no, sorry, I missread. :D

Mage and Archer? What about cleaning a Dungeon from A-Z? Try Hyloth. When you reach Level 4 you're either very rich or very dead. Destard is also a challence. Since the Greater Dragons and Ancient Wyrms are in OOooOlympic mood, you better take both a Dragon Slayer with you. Very lucrative.

N

Nenime

"mini-bosses" or monsters out there we could kill that have a halfway decent chance of dropping cool stuff?
Have you thought about Swoop or Miasma? The Titan/Cyclops spawn incl. Paragons in Ilshenar isn't half bad too.

C

Caelas

Ok, feel free to knock me up-side the head, but didn't they make Swoop really tough? From what I'm reading they buffed that bird all to Umbra and back.

If we do take it on...is it possible to kite it around? Or does it run / fly really fast?

T

T_Amon_from_work

See if 2 of you can handle a Super/Greater Dragon in Destard. That's one buffed beast ... 1-hit kills are not uncommon and it'll teleport right to you if you are unwary.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your current cup of tea includes harpies and elementals, I would suggest one of the following:

Miasma. You'll get rich there quickly, or you'll get dead. It helps if you have a plan that involves luring Miasma into a couple of energy vortexes, invis the person who did the luring and then killing it (no direct damage spells!). You then have a chance at artifacts, 2000-2500 gold per kill and some pretty nice loot on the side.

Titans east of Ilshenar-honesty gate. There's an area there that's great for gold and can be fun and challenging for the not-quite-legendary characters. And paragon titans really spice things up.

Wandering around in Tokuno. You can find some great fun there, and some great danger. Nearly everything has very good loot. Just avoid the Yamodon.

And yes, Swoop is hard enough now that I don't think it's worth doing unless you're training your greater dragon or working in teams looking for artifacts.

C

Caelas

Wow...me and the wife hunted Miasma for about 2.5 hours...got a chest from here, some nice jewelry, LRC armor...and a ton of gold. Thanks for the suggestion...might still be hunting her except someone showed up and started uber-pwning her :(

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer orge lords myself. They're not as easy as the ettins/harpies/elementals you've been fighting. They give a little better loot gold-wise, but also a decent amount of fame. I use them to keep my lord title. My paladin can solo them without much problem.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A fun time can be had in Illsh, the Dragon Spawn to the East of Valor I think it is. You get a Paragon Greater Dragon and that will be one "fun" fight. :)

N

Nenime

A fun time can be had in Illsh, the Dragon Spawn to the East of Valor I think it is. You get a Paragon Greater Dragon and that will be one "fun" fight. :)
... at least for the Dragon. :D

V

Vyrquenox

Ok, feel free to knock me up-side the head, but didn't they make Swoop really tough? From what I'm reading they buffed that bird all to Umbra and back.

If we do take it on...is it possible to kite it around? Or does it run / fly really fast?[/QUOTE

get a bird slayer tali. have wife throw evs at swoop. have her be ready to invis you (bar up) and shoot at the bird. If you half do it right it will be far easier than running through destard.

V

Vyrquenox

Wow...me and the wife hunted Miasma for about 2.5 hours...got a chest from here, some nice jewelry, LRC armor...and a ton of gold. Thanks for the suggestion...might still be hunting her except someone showed up and started uber-pwning her :(
drat, and i always thought it was a boy scorpion.

E

Eslake

drat, and i always thought it was a boy scorpion.
Miasma is a woman's name. :)

I'm glad to hear you two figured out how to hunt her without you (as an archer) being bug food. Invisibility is a wonderful thing.

As to your original question about Mini bosses tho. That is pretty much the purpose of paragons. (or would have been had they existed when we had a ready supply of new players)

The problem is that they mixed the spawns in power ranges far too wide.
Mongbats with gazers for example. No one who would find a paragon mongbat challenging is going to survive gazers, let alone a paragon gazer.

A little rethinking of the Ilshenar spawns and the paragon assignment could make Ilsh The Place to train new characters, and make the process a lot more interesting than 1 hour of undead followed by 16 of earth elementals.

N

Nenime

Very good point, Eslake. I gave up hunting in Ilshenar while I was a beginner for exact this reason. I neglected it since the introducing of Spring Cleaning Phase 3. Now the problem inverted, i.e. while I hunted Balron Paras at Melissa's place, I was annoyed of these silly Imp Paras - which killed me frequently though :p

C

Caelas

Last night we tried Swoop...and got promptly owned. Killed my wife in three hits after killing her fire elemental...will her EVs go kill the Pixies and Paragon Shadow Wisps there, or will they stay off them because they are good / neutral?

Do need to find a bird slayer talisman and a bow for that bird. Only hit her for 20 each shot. That was after EoO. >.<

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, if your EVs are lucky enough to survive Swoop (they usually aren't), then the pixies are in trouble as well. It would be a good idea to dispell your EVs as soon as Swoop dies.

But there are still much better creatures to kill out there. Try the named croc in the blighted grove too. Instant respawn and pretty easy to kill. The only problem is the bone machete needed to get in. I hate constantly buying new ones.

C

Caelas

We will try him...if I can find a bone machette. What else is out there? We are out hunting for two reasons...skill gains (we aren't quite fully trained yet) and loot. We'd really like to start collecting some decent gear, alont with the occasional nice artifact.

C

Caelas

Sweet list...looking through I realize two things...
1. Miesma is one EASY named monster.
2. Tamers can kick just about anything's @$$

Which means...well...maybe I'll go back to dungeon crawling.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Miasma is only easy if you do it right. His mortal strike/lethal poison combo is a killer.

And dungeon crawling can be fun. Pick a dungeon and go with it, sooner or later you'll have a new favorite hunting ground.

C

Caelas

Miasma was CAKE. I pulled her, wife set up a couple EVs, and when the EVs grabbed Miasma, I got invisi. In two and a half hours, I almost died a couple times, and my wife did die a couple times...but it was fun.

Too bad she's camped so much.

With the dungeons, should we worry about looting stuff, or just killing things until we get the Virtue pieces to drop?