• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ill Winds at the Shattered Skull...

• Thread starter Eryn Darkthorn
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

The sounds from the meeting hall seemed to quiet which meant the hour was getting late, or so Aletta assumed. Looking across the room the two men sat in silence as well. If she didnt know better they were both sleeping. Thranos fidgeted in his chair a bit and Jaccob returned his empty goblet back to the table.
Feeling frustrated by their silence Aletta approached them both. Pulling a small chair with her she seated herself infront of them and stared intently at them. After a few short moments they both raised their heads and looked at her with confusion. They had no idea what had gotten in to her.
"Finally. I have your attention."
They looked at her with confusion on their faces. They had no idea what she had meant by the comment.
"I have stood and sat here for hours listening to you bicker back and forth with one another. And from my understanding you have come to no conclusion of what to do."
Sitting straight in the chair she smoothed her skirt down and placed her hands in her lap. Very much content that she had their attention.
"Jaccob. You have not told him why we are here. And for the most part I dont know entirely why we are here. And Sir Thranos. You are totally engrossed in the things that you are involved in and for that i understand. But gentlemen this discussion needs to be brought to a decision. For what i do know my sisters and cousins are in great danger and for all i know i may well be in danger too. So this needs to get brought out before i myself go insane."
Both men looked at Aletta and then to each other. With waning smiles they sat up in their chairs with a bit of formality and cleared their throats to speak.
Seeing that her statement had wakened them from their wine induced melancholy she was then more relaxed. Maybe now the business at hand can be taken care of.
"The girl is right, Jaccob. Please forgive me for throwing my troubles at you. I know you wouldnt come to me unless you really felt i could help."
"No, no. I shouldnt have taken so long to tell you about my coming. But i just dont know how to approach the subject."
Great. Now it will take another few hours for Jaccob to get to the story. This was starting to annoy Aletta again. Seeing the disgust on her face Jaccob decided to just go ahead and tell it as it happened. Her proceeded in telling Thranos of the events in Skara Brae and then when he got to the mention of the hooded figures that attacked Crimson at the inn he could see that Aletta was taken aback by the words. But the expression on Thranos' face was more than he expected. The man looked as if he had seen a ghost. Which in fact is what the whole thing was turning into. Jaccob continued to tell what he knew up to the day he and Meyer left Skara.
"And that is where i left them. Shortly after we crossed to the mainland and headed towards the coast we heard the warning go off for the attack. After that i know not what has happened."
"Jaccob. This cannot be. You were there when he fell and it just cannot be."
The man's voice trembled a bit and it was obvious that he was disturbed by the telling .
"I was there, yes. I saw him fall as well. But I tell you he has come back and will not rest til he gets what he wants. He always accused me of trying to take it from him even when i told him i didnt want it. There was always conflict between us over that thing. I told him i had no interest in it but he still accused me of trying to steal it."
Aletta listened intently. What thing? Who accused? She was becoming more confused as the conversation went on. Jaccob looked slightly in her direction but made no attempt to talk to her.
With a shift of his eyes towards Aletta, Thranos nodded to Jaccob towards Aletta. All Jaccob could do was shake his head answering in denial. They both knew she had to be told the truth.
Thranos leaned back in his chair as Jaccob leaned forward towards Aletta. Taking her hands in his he hung his head low. Then raising his head to look her in the eye he began to speak to her. Directly to her.

G

The look in Jaccob's eyes was puzzling to her. She didnt understand why all this was so important to her. She understood that her sister and cousins were in danger but had no clue why all this would be so meaningful to her. Yes, family is important and what happens to one means much to the others but she had purposely kept away from their dealings. With never knowing her mother due to her dying in childbirth she only had recollections of her Aunt Ebony. She had very little memory of her father since he died when she was quite young. It seemed ages ago when she found the family heirloom that Jaccob now had possession of. Things were becoming very confusing for her.
Jaccob again patted her hands and touched her cheek lightly.
"There are things my dear girl i must tell you. Things that you will probably not believe...but they must be said."
Nodding her understanding to him he began to tell her the story of why her father had died. It seemed that he had fallen in with some members of a secret sect determined to overthrow Britain and bring evil to the world. He had put himself into the service of a mage who dealt in the darkest of magical arts. Necromancy mixed with high magery had become his obsession. Turning himself away from his family and all that was good in the world. He told her that on the day of her father's death the two of them had come to blows over who should control the staff. Her father wanting to bring the staff to evil use and himself wanting to keep it from it. Jaccob took a deep breath then continued to tell her how they fought ferociously and he had slain his own brother. He too was wounded severely and had no recollection of what had happened to the staff. He thought it may have been destroyed or taken by the evil forces that his brother was with. He never knew until the day she showed it to him. Looking at Aletta he could see that she was in shock over the tale of her father but she seemed to understand there was nothing that could of been done to stop it. Sitting back in her chair Jaccob continued telling her that the hooded figures that have been stalking the girls were of the same people her father had once been involved with. It was rumored long ago that they still sought after the staff that for some reason they felt it was of great power and would aid them in their fight for control. After her father's demise they had gone into hiding and was not heard of since. But now it seems they are back and very much looking for the staff again. That is why they came and attacked the girl's in Skara Brae.
Sitting back in his own chair Jaccob took a deep breath and tried to relax. The telling of this story was hard on him and Aletta could see that it brought back terrible memories to him. Having really never known her father she found it all a bit overwhelming. Thranos reached towards Jaccob and nodded towards the beds.
"Jaccob . You tire yourself my friend. The night is late and you two need to take some rest."
"Yes. You may be right. We have a freind out in the city. If you could have someone fetch him here we may be able to rest for the remainder of the night. But this discussion isnt done. We still need to decide what to do."
"Yes, yes. I wil send someone for your friend and I agree that we need to talk about this further. If what you said is true we could very well all be in danger."
Thranos rose and left the room. Jaccob lead Aletta to one of the small beds in the room and helped her climb in and cover up. She was so tired but her mind was racing with images from the past. Fleeting thoughts danced through her head from when she was younger. Only a dark shadow filled the spot of the man who she remembered as her father. Then memories of Ebony taking care of her and teaching her things. Her early memory of Jaccob was not to be found. She only remembered him from being on Crimson's crew and taking care of them there on the Black Rose. Finally sleep took her and the world became blank as she fell into a deep sleep.
A knock on the door and Meyer entered the room. Jaccob pointed to the other bed next to Aletrta and Meyer went to lie down. It wasnt long before sleep overtook him as well. Jaccob sat once again by the fire and thought back again to the day his brother died. Questioning himself he wondered if Jonah was really dead. It made little sense to think otherwise but something kept creeping into his mind. Something recently that was unsettling to him. There was more of a connection to the things that happened in Skara than that of the hooded figures. After a few moments passed it came to him like a lightning bolt across the sky. Lighting up the dark recesses of him mind. Maxwell.

G

Sitting back and taking in all the events that had past of late Crimson was overwhelmed at things that had passed. Her sister's incarceration, meeting up with Jack, confronting her cousins, and the appearance of those dark hooded figures. None of the things made sense to her. Did they all tie in together? Was it all some elaborate plan to make her life miserable? If so then who ever was behind it was succeeding.
The sounds around the house were what were normal to her. Chattering of the birds. The noises of the forest creatures. The waves of the bay splashing the shoreline. And the light conversations of the people who were trapped in the house with her. They were told to not leave. Told. Why was she listening to Jaccob about this? What did this old man know that he couldnt tell her about? Not even Scarlett knew of the mystery that Jaccob was keeping. And now he had Aletta with him. She of all people had nothing to do with any of this. Purposely she kept out of their dealings from the past. Passive and shy, there was no way that Aletta could deal with the troubles waiting for them all out there. What on earth was Jaccob thinking taking her along with him?

G

Sleep seemed to evade ALetta. She kept thinking back to the day she found the staff under those leaves, covered with blood. The thoughts she had carried for years of her father's death seemed to become blurry. Never did she see his body. Never was any real proof brought home of his death. Things were beginning to settle into place abit. Her father's supposed death and then the untimely death of her mother. Being raised by others for so many years. She thought to herself if it was possible that he was still alive. Just as the sun was about to rise she huddled under the covers to try and remove the chill that had taken over her body. How was she to deal with anymore information that Jaccob was to give her? It was enough to hear that Jaccob was her uncle as well. And to hear of the things that had come to pass in Skara. The confusion was taking its toll. Finally she fell asleep.
When the dawn came Meyer and Jaccob moved to the warmth of the fire and sat in silence. They ate the food brought to them and waited for Aletta to get her rest. She was in need of as much as she could get. After some time a guard came to the room and gave them a message to meet Lord Thranos in the main hall. Leaving Aletta to sleep and Meyer to watch out for her Jaccob went to meet his old friend.
Entering the double doors of the main hall brought back many memories from the past. Memories he hadnt let invade his mind for many a year. The sight of the Paladins sitting around talking and chatting amongst themselves was a sight for any person to behold. In all their splendor it was truly amazing.
Jaccob approached Thranos and sat next to him. Quiet nods came from the others around the room. It was apparent that Thranos had made mention to them what was going on and had made a plea for their help. Many of those in attendance were there when they fought this evil for the first time and many would come to fight again. Jaccob sat back with a slight grin on his face. He knew they would come to his aid but only had to make sure of such.

G

Many of the knights , warriors and paladins talked amongst themselves. The older ones relayed the stories of old to the younger ones which made them realize that the fight against evil was still very much needed. The enthusiasm of the youth bolstered the passions of the elders and there was much excitement in the air. Although they knew this fight would be of great hardship on many they all knew and felt there was nothing else that could be done.
After much talk the decision to help was made. Half the forces in attendance would stay and remain their vigil with the guard to protect Britania and the other half would go and assist Jaccob with his mission. Their were many that had made this decision based solely upon their own past with this evil Jaccob talked of. They had seen first hand what they would be up against and for this they chose to join him. Their sons and daughters too decided to stand by their fathers, uncles and others to do what they could to help.
Jaccob sat back. Pleased he was that the allies he once had in the past were willing to stand with him again. Now he needed to get word to his family in Britain to what was going on . He thought at first to send Aletta back and let her do the telling but after much though he decided to keep her at his side. She would be safer with him than back there. The ones there would be able to keep themselves guarded. As he rose from the table to go see to Aletta a messenger came and gave Thranos a newly arrived missive. Looking at the message he handed it to Jaccob.
Taking the note and reading it another great smile crossed his face. Things were falling into place that he hadnt forseen. And now this force would be there to aid him as well.

G

Sitting on the balcony Crimson looked out over the trees and saw the waters of the bay in the short distance. It was hard for her to believe that she had left all that behind so many years ago. The smell of the salt air drifted through the thin forest and seemed to smooth away some of the angst that had been building in her. The sun shone through the sparse canopy of trees and felt good to her skin. Having removed her armor and donning a plain cotton dress she found in a trunk she sat back and tried to enjoy the surroundings. She could hear the chatter of her family and companions across the way as they sat around eating and telling stories of the past. She couldnt help but think how nice it must be to be so carefree as they all seemed. The only one that had any idea of the dangers that they had just faced was Polgara. But she too was having a grand time talking about the things she had been doing over the years. Laying back in the comfortable chairs she glanced about at the flowers and such that Aletta had taken pains to grow. This would be the life she would love to lead if she had any clue as to how to do it. Her destiny was coming close to hand and that much she wasnt sure if she was ready. To spend days on end playing with flowers and such as Aletta did would be wonderful.
In the distance north of the house Crimson heard hoofsteps of a fast riding horse. That seemed to send a chill down her spine. She was growing very tired of speeding horses coming her way. It never brought good news.

G

The messenger jumped from his horse and ran onto the porch. His first encounter was that of Jack and Bella. Once he handed over his message to them at knife point he rushed back to his horse and quickly threw himself to the mount. Turning quickly he saluted them both and rode off. Crimson stood on the balcony looking in confusion as the rider headed south through the forest. South. That was odd. The moongate just west of the house must be guarded still or else something was there he didnt want to encounter.
Turning away from the sunshine Crimson made her way to the door to enter the house. As she made her way to the stairs and descended she saw Bella and Jack standing infront of a seated Polgara. When Pol looked up her eyes sparkled with mischief. Crimson knew that the news must be of great importance.
"Cousin. We have just recieved word from Jaccob. The warriors from the great city of Luna have decided to come to our aide. This is good news."
All three looked at Crimson to gauge her reaction but were dismayed when she showed no reaction. Crimson only nodded her head and headed out the front door to the forge shack.
Bella looked to Jack and Pol. She seemed confused at her sister's reaction.
"I would of thought she would be pleased to have help this time. Strong bodies and military influence will help us greatly."
"Oh dear Bella. I dont think that Crimson is looking at the situation as you do. She has always been concerned for others and to bring them into this battle is weighing heavy on her mind. I only wish that Jaccob's message had given us more imformation. It was sketchy at best." Polgara hung her head in worry and began to read the message again. It gave no other clues but the one that forces were rallying to help in their fight. Nothing else was said. Rising from her seat she went up the stairs to prepare herself. Stopping on the stairs she looked down at the two and smiled deeply. It was good that Jack was staying by Bella's side through this.
"You two should get ready. I think we will be leaving sooner than we thought."

G

The forge was cold. Something that never happened. Aletta always kept the fires going whether she was working or not. It seemed so odd. Lifiting the lids of the heavy chests Crimson looked throughout them getting the things she needed. She hadnt handled swords or bows in so long yet now she was becoming familiar with them again. Taking out the sharp and shining katana she slid it into a sheath and layed it to the side. In another trunk there were fine pieces of leather armor. Picking through the lot she found enough to fully suit herself for protection. Hanging from the wall were several fine looking bows and quivers full of arrows. Taking one of each she laid them to the side as well. Pulling off the soft cotton dress she quickly pulled on the armor pieces. It had been quite a while since she had worn such fine leathers and they all seemed to fit her perfectly. Sitting on one of the trunks she pulled on the soft supple thigh boots. Standing she grabbed a thin leather strap and pulled her long hair behind her head. Tying it tightly and out of the way she leaned over and grabbed her weapons. For the first time in a while she felt comfortable. Donning armor and weapons put her even further back into what she once was.
As she walked out of the forge hut she stood straight and looked out into the forest around the house. Taking in a deep breath she went back inside the main house. As she entered she noticed that the others were standing in the ready. All looked in her direction and smiles creeped onto their faces. It had been many a year that they had seen her dressed as she was. All the memories of the past seemed to come to them as they looked her over. It seemed that each one of them except Jack remembered the times with great affection. Once Crimson had been a fierce commander of the Black Rose and took her role seriously. She fought with a vengenance and it was apparent that she was ready to do so again.
Pol came close to Crimson and handed her a small bag. Crimson knew what was inside. Hesitantly she took the bag and tied it to her belt. Knowing that she would need everybit of the herbs that Pol had packed her. Not wanting to admit it but Crimson's magical powers were as strong or stronger than Pol's. Bella turned towards her sister and came close to her. Extending her hands, Bella handed an ornately carved flute to her sister. She also knew this might come in handy to her as well. Crimson smiled at her sister and took the flute. Tucking in into the snug belt she knew now she was ready.
At once loud noises could be heard on the second floor. Then all at once with not much care Katarina stumbled down the stairs. Never being graceful she straightend at the bottom of the stairs. There she stood. Black hair flowing about her head with the most endearing angelic smile across her face. The rest could not help but to laugh out loud as they all looked at each other knowing this was going to be one hell of a fight.

G

Sitting in the very busy hall was a bit unnerving to Aletta. Warriors moved about in a frenzy. In and out the heavy main doors. To and fro with both small and large parchments. One old man came in and placed a huge book infront of Jaccob and Thranos. It seemed they spent hours looking through the book and leafing through the messages spread out on the table. Neither paid much attention to Aletta as she rose from her seat and moved about the hall. No one really seemed to pay attention to her at all. Silently she moved to Jaccob's side and peered at some of the papers that she could see clearly. One came to her with an almost blinding jolt. The map that showed was of the location to where she lived. The coordinates were scribbled across the bottom. A bright red pinpoint marked the exact spot on the map where her house stood. Reaching for the paper she looked further and read the short note at the bottom.
Location found. Approach with caution. Shall meet at moongate.
Aletta gasped after reading the words. Reaching for her uncles shoulder she shook him to get his attention. He swatted at her hand as if to dismiss her but she continued and blurted out her concern.
"JACCOB. This is my house. This map leads right to my doorstep. We have to get back and warn them all."
Looking into her scared eyes Jaccob knew there would be no stopping her. He patted her hand on his shoulder and rose to take her into his arms.
"Oh my child. Do not worry. I have sent word to Crimson about this missive. She is aware of what is happening. Do not worry about them. We have men on the way to their aide."
She looked at him with great concern but settled down a bit.
"Un..uncle. I insist that you tell me what you are doing. I have to know what is going on and the plans that you are working on."
"Yes..my dear. Here sit with Thranos and me and we shall reveal it all to you."
With that he sat her in the seat he was in and took the chair next to her. Now she was settled between the two. See heard and saw all their plans. The more the conversation went the more intrigued she was with their plans. She had never really thought about strategies and such . But she was getting a first hand look at how these warriors work.

G

The ride south to the bridge was a short one and very uneventful. Crimson was always on guard when out on the road since many wandered this area. Being so close to Britain didnt set well with her either. Knowing that they were wanted now made her nerves stand on end.
The small group crossed the bridge and began to head south just off the road. Getting to the Trinsic moongate would be a hard trip indeed. Riding two by two with herself in the lead didnt leave much protection. But staying far off the road would be much better. After hours of riding they soon reached the area for the cut across. Crossing the river where it flowed into the mountain side wasnt her favorite choice but it had to be done. She also knew it was only an hour more ride to the gate. It had been a long time since she had been in this area. Long time indeed.
She remembered the small house they had on the inlet just south of the gate when they first arrived to the lands. After a while the girl's searched out new places to llive and go on with their lives the way they wanted. Aletta by the seashore, Polgara in the Wind Mountains, Bella north of the Compassion Desert and Crimson in the Northern Forests north of Yew. The only one that she had no idea of where she lived was Scarlett. Having lost communication with her years ago and only recently seeing her again made it hard to ascertain where her sister had taken up residence.
Dodging the trees and the ragged terrain of the Trinsic area was tiring for the horses. They would have to find shelter soon or else they would be targets for anyone this time of the day. The sun was beginning to settle which made it quite hard to see in the dense forest of the area. Polgara took out a small pouch from her belt and cast a few light spells around the group. She didnt make them very big light sources as she didnt want to alarm anyone or anything of their approach.
Increasing anxiety welled up in all of them. They were heading into dangerous territory and they all knew well of it.

G

Going ahead of the group, closer to the gate Jack was cautious. Even leaving his horse with Bella it was still tough to move about through the brush and trees. The glow from the gate was bright as day but the shadows surrounding it would make it easy for anyone to hide in. Sounds of small creatures were very audible to his keen sense of hearing and it added to the anxiety he was feeling. He knew something or someone was out there but he couldnt tell just where.
The others held back some on their approach. Waiting for a sign from Jack. But there was nothing. Pol could feel the small hairs on her neck stand on end. She could sense things werent all together right out here. The stress from the previous days and nights had worn her down and she was sensing all the forboding she could possible feel right now. Looking about there was not much to see but shadows upon shadows. She knew all too well how the night could play tricks on the mind.
Then clearly she could hear the tell tale signal from Jack. It wasnt an all clear signal but one of caution. So they made their way closer to the gate. Once in the outer edges of the gate circle they stood still and waited for Jack to rejoin them.
Approaching Crimson she could tell from the grimaced look on his face that he didnt like the looks of things.
"Honestly Crimson i say we move back and wait for daylight. There's something out there and I dont mind telling you I dont like it."
"I understand Jack, but we really wont be any safer out here in the dark of the forest than going ahead through the gate."
"Yes. But we dont even really know where we are going."
"No i dont. But I know where to find information to get us where we need to be."
Shaking his head he moved towards Bella. Looking into her face he saw that steeled determination of hers and knew there was nothing else he could do but follow with them. Many times over the past few days he wished he had stayed on his ship where it was safe. But his feelings for Bella had stayed him. He would never let anything come to harm her.
Crimson looked about at her small group and gathered up the strength to move on. She knew once they crossed through it would be a rough ride into the lower edges of Britain. With a nod they moved forward.

G

The bright light from the glowing gate almost blinded them from the darkness around. With anticipation they bolted for the gate. Not wanting to hesitate they goaded the horses into a run. Just as they reached the circle riders came flooding through. Crimson reined back her horse in almost terror. She tired of being taken by suprise at every turn. By instinct she pulled her sword. But once all the riders came into better view she saw that it was a group of folk she was glad to see. Scarlett.
Once they all had realized who was amongst them they relaxed a bit. Not for long though. Scarlett headed to Crimson in haste.
"Finally i found you. I have been looking for you for two days."
Crimson settled back with ease and looked at her sister with concern.
"Why would you come looking for us? We were at the coastal house until only a day ago."
"I went through that blasted gate near there and it was swarming with those hooded ones. We had to take cover for the night and make our way around to the coast from the bridge. When we reached the coast the house was gone. Burned to the ground, along with the other houses in that area. I was frantic with worry for you all."
Crimson couldnt believe what she was hearing. If they hadnt left when they did they would have been caught and would of had to make a stand there. She thought about how Aletta would feel when she learned the news of her house being gone.
"Come follow me. There is only one place left for us to hide out. No one knows of my house and i think it would do us good to go there and wait. I will send a rider to Luna and let Jaccob know where we've gone. My house is surrounded by many friends and is so obvious in location that we might be safe there."
The others nodded in agreement and they headed into the gate.

G

As they entered the gate and concentrated on where they were heading all could feel the eeriness as it fell upon them. Coming through the gate the smell of the air was even different. This land was not the same as they were used to.
Only Bella and Jack seemed to not be affected by the wave of changes upon coming through.
There was no time for them to talk about what they were doing. Following Crimson they kept there mounts close together. The terrain was not the same at all. The lifeless trees and shrubs brought out the forboding feeling that this land was full of evil and death. It almost hung in the air like a fog.
Closing in the borders of the town they quickly fled across the back streets til they came out on the eastern side . Keeping Scarlett in their sites they rode for what they felt was a long trip into perdition. Glancing about the buildings and the few folk that wondered around, Crimson knew they couldnt stay in this place for too long. Jaccob would angry for certain for them to be going here.

G

After what seemed like an eternity they passed through a dense forest-lined road and made their way east of Britain. The sun was beginning to set which was making the road almost hard to see. Keeping tightly together the continued on.
Ahead there could be seen many lights from homes and the night sounds were almost welcoming. They seemed to be coming towards a small community of houses and for a few moments serenity seemed to beckon them. Crimson knew that deep down this area was full of dangers. As they reached a curve in the road the glow of candlelight from one house cast down on the road and a lone figure could be seen sitting there upon a dark steed. Dressed in vibrant blue the figure seemed almost mystical in the candlelight.
Scarlett held up a hand to warn them to slow their pace as she approached the figure in the road. But once she came closer her recognition of the figure seemed to drown out any fears she was having. Living in this area she was always cautious of the evil that wandered about. Whether it be creature or man she was always on alert.
Coming closer she raised a hand in salute to the figure and the smile that greeted her was welcoming. She knew now they would be safe for a while at least. Greeting her on the road was Lord Aiden the Bold and he was patrolling the area as many of his guild did so often. He made no move to come closer to Scarlett but let her come to him. She smiled brightly at the man and knew things would be well.

G

Looking over her shoulder at the ones following, Aiden gave Scarlett a slight smile. He had heard rumors of what had been happening over the last few weeks and for that he had arranged for more patrols in the area. Knowing she might head this way he wanted to be prepared. The area was full of his own people and those of many enemies but that was no cause to drop his guard.
Riding her mount close to his she reach out a hand in gesture to him. He took it gladly and smiled even brighter towards her.
"My lady, Scarlett. You seem to have seen better days."
"Yes, my Lord. It has been a task that I would much rather of avoided."
"Through my sources I have heard of the troubles that are about the lands. I am grateful to see you and your friends have made it safely to our area."
"Indeed. It was most trying getting here. The forces were are trying so hard to avoid seem to be on our trail constantly. We have evaded them at every turn but it has left wrath and ruin in their wake."
"Well , my dear. Fear not. You will be safe here. The Dark Star Rising will protect you and yours when the need arises. I told you once you found haven here that you were most welcome. Your friends and family are ours as well. Please, my lady, take your folk to your home and get some well deserved rest."
"Thank you , my Lord. That is what i intend to do. ONce I have them settled i will be sending a dispatch to Luna to my uncle. He needs to know where we are and that we have arrived safely."
"On that note, my lady, I myself will send the message to him. I have ways to send communicades without having to send them personally."
"Thank you so much. You are so kind to aid me."
Smiling once again to her he meerly nodded is head and moved his horse aside so the other could pass. He curiously looked over each one as they passed him and nodded them a welcome. When Bella passed by his eyes grew bright.
Thinking to himself he felt that it was no wonder there was so much trouble. The looks of this young woman was to certainly cause problems no matter where she went. The mischief and mayhem seemed to float around her in a mystical aura.
Pulling up the rear of the group was Jack. Aiden nodded to him in welcome but Jack's eyes blazed in anger. Jack had seen that look before and knew that it would cause troubles. He shouldnt be jealous but deep within him it was there.
Once the group had passed several members of Dark Star Rising rode up to join Aiden. They stood next to him proudly and watch the small group head towards Scarlett's home.
"Seems that Madame Scarlett has returned once again."
"Yes, Frost. She has returned and I feel that trouble is not far behind her."

G

Coming closer to the house Scarlett could see that there were lights shining through some of the windows and smoke was coming from the chimneys. Apparently someone was waiting for her to return. She knew no one right off hand that was aware of her coming home. She signaled to her group to keep their guard up as they approached closer.
Dismounting and putting the horses in the coral area they made ready to greet who ever was in the house. Dividing into two they entered through the seperate doors leading into the house. Scarlet went in through the front door and looking about the massive room she saw a dark figure sitting in her favorite chair. She slowly approached him and saw he was sleeping. Rather comfortably he had one leg crossed and resting on the other leg with his head laid back. Kicking the foot that still was on the floor it rousted him from his slumber along with a jerk of his sword that was laying across his lap. Jumping back from his reach Scarlet burst out in a low giggle. She knew he wasnt expecting to be caught off guard.
Jumping to his feet he stood on guard but was still dazed from his sleep. Blinking away the suprise he stood face to face with Scarlett. The others approached behind her and spread out looking at the man standing there.
"Ah my dear Dirk. Glad to see you made things ready for my return."
Grumbling under his breath he sheathed his sword and ran his hand through his tumbled hair. He knew then things would be alright. The familiar voice of Scarlett made the tension go away as he sat back down in the chair with a flop.
"Damn, Scarlett. Don't do that to me. I aint used to folks sneakin up on me."
"That was obivous. What are you doing here this time of night ..not to mention being here at all."
Looking up at her and the others he smiled greatly. Mischief hung on his face like the shine of a new coin.
"Aye. I figured you would be wonderin that. I heard reports or gossip i should say that you had left the factions and was reuniting with your family on some important mission. The rumors are that you all are in some deep troubles."
Scarlett threw her head back and sighed. Thinking to herself that there was no where they were going to be safe from this mess.

G

While the others took their rest Scarlett filled Dirk in on the latest happenings and made sure he understood all that was going on. At least as much as she was able to understand. There were still things she hadnt quite figured out yet but once they were back with Aletta they would all soon be able to piece together the puzzle their lives had become.
Dirk had also informed Crimson of the goings on around the area. That the friends here in the region were on extra watch and had a weather eye out for anything strange about. Crimson began to feel a bit more relaxed with this news. The more there were to help the better off she felt. She also knew that these people were ones she could put her trust in. Scarlett was never one to open up to just anyone and the fact that she built her home here amongst these folk was a testiment to that trust.
Throughout the day they could see folk moving about in the area and it was obvious to her they were on patrol. She had even spotted the man they met on the road a time or two. This man seemed to be genuienly intereseted in the goings on at the house. But Crimson figured it was only the reasoning of keeping his friends and family safe hereabouts. And that thought was fine with her for thats all she has been trying to do as well.
The small guard hut infront of Scarlett's house was busy with activity. Messengers were coming and going throughout the day. This seemed to be the prime area for the service. It was odd to her that Scarlett would build so close to the guard shack. But then again, Scarlett was never one to hide behind one's skirts. She would stand out in the open in order to less obvious to others.
Standing at the edge of the roof top garden Crimson watched as the the light of day began to wane and the cool breeze wafted through from the cove. The slight smells of salt in the air made her breathe in a sigh and relax. But only a little.

G

Standing at the edge of the second story porch Crimson looked out over the area. It was dark but in the distance flickering candle light could be seen through out. This area was inhabited by many and from what she heard they were all within the same guild. From her understandings from Scarlett they were more like family than they were anything. Coming from all walks of life and with many different personalites and skills they came together as a band of friends and exceeded all expectations of themselves. Bonds can come in many forms with people and Crimson was soon finding it hard to think otherwise. Especially when she looked at her own family and the friends that have come to aid them.
In the distance she heard the hurried sound of horse hooves moving closer. Then at once two riders approached. Dismounting and entering the small guard shack in front of Scarlett's house she saw many other figures approach. They too entered the shack and faint voices could be heard. Some louder than others but there was a mighty discussion going on for sure.
The front door opened and in haste she saw Scarlett run to the front of the shack and enter. The voices grew louder then. Someone started shouting and then she heard nothing. It had quieted down to only murmurs again and that disturbed her.
Something must be going on or else so any wouldnt be involved. Just as she decided to go inside and make her way to the shack the inhabitants had left and went seperate ways. Some back through the woods and others just across the road. Scarlett was the last to leave and she slowly made her way back to the house. From the way she walked Crimson knew that her sister wasnt happy at all. She had to find out what was going on.
When she turned Polgara was standing there. The look on her face wasnt the most inviting. She looked like she had seen things she didnt really want to see. It wasnt often things would frighten Pol but whatever she was thinking about had definetly put a fright in her.

G

Polgara made her way to the rooftop. She had to get away from the others so she could try and make sense of the vision she had just had. In the darkness and the sweet scent of the forest she could meditate and search her mind for some answers. Standing near the fountain she could hear the faint sounds of the night creatures and the far off waters lapping the shore not so far away. Looking skyward she could see the many stars that dotted the black skies. Studying them closely she could see her favorite star off in the distance and noticed that it was glowing brightly. Then at once it turned red as flames and disappeared. Sinking to the floor she cupped her face in her hands. She had never seen this happen before and it disturbed her. The images in her mind and the diminishing of her star was unsettling to her. It had to have some meaning but she was running out of options to find out what it all meant.
Lighting a candle from her pouch she then spread out her cloth on the floor and pulled the tarot cards from her pocket. She had to search the cards to see if they would give her any answers.
As she turned the first card over it was puzzling to her. There was the image of a simple man standing in the Lycreum and surrounding him were human like figures. She studied the card closely but couldnt make anything of it.
Turning the next card it showed her a huge Great Hart surrounded by many female harts. This was indeed an odd card. never had she seen this card before.
Quickly she turned the next card. This one appeared to be a treefellow..those that can be found around the city of Umbra. Continuing with the next card was that of a great bear in the forest. Then there was a sphinx in the desert. All these cards were meaningless to Polgara. The next card was that of a centaur surrounded by timberwolves. Finally the card showing a pixie appeared when she turned it over. Many of these things she had seen before but some of the images seemed out of place to her. It was very confusing to her. It had to have some meaning and she wondered to herself if she should mention it to the others or not.

G

Rising from the floor Polgara decided to try and get some sleep. That was one thing she hadnt had in many days. A few hours here and there was not like her usual routine. The luxury of using her skills as entertainment allowed her to sleep in late of mornings and do as she pleased. Since she arrived at Skara Brae and this whole adventure started she was way off her game. She needed to get her mind set back to the things at hand.
Deep in her mind though she knew that her visions and those damned cards were linked somehow. She could hardly wait for Jaccob and Aletta to show up and give them more answers to what was going on. She thought to herself they should of arrived by now. That bit of knowledge weighed heavy on her as well as it did Crimson. The others seemed to not to mind as much. But they were like that. Carefree and aloof. Bella. That girl would be the death of them all one day for certain.
Reaching the second floor she looked about for an empty bed and crawled in. Clothes and all she curled up under the thick fur covering and rested her head in the pillow. Closing her eyes she relaxed and sleep came quickly.

G

All had found places to sleep. Scarlet to her room, Bella and Jack found a bed to take rest and poor Kat curled soundly in the small bed close to the fireplace. Still not back to her self Crimson had to admire her willingness to keep going. Looking around the room she saw that Polgara had finally laid down for some rest. Although she tossed and turned she still slept. Crimson walked through the house and advanced to the next floor. There was a room with a large bed and she crawled into it. Pulling the covers up tightly she tried to relax. Many visions crossed her mind as she drifted off. The images she saw in Skara, the burned out wreckage of Aletta's home, many things over the last few weeks. It was disturbing and still a bit confusing to her. If only Jaccob would arrive and set things straight.

G

Although the group was small by many standards Aletta was amazed at the briliant shining armor of the group behind them. Looking over her shoulder she could see warriors on horseback steadily keeping pace with one another. Very regimental indeed. No one faltered in their steps and the mounts beneath them seemed to move without assistance from their riders.
Exiting the moongate they approached the road they stopped and gathered about still maintaining a form of unison. A rider bolted through the forest and headed towards Jaccob. The young man's face was brightly colored red from excertion of the ride. The news must not be good fore the expression on his face and that of Jaccob was all too obvious.
Jaccob turned slightly on his horse and motioned for several of the riders to move ahead of them. Leading the way they made for the coastline and to Aletta's home. She wanted to bolt ahead of them all and make her way home but Jaccob grabbed her reins and bade her to stay close to him. At this she became even more concerned. She knew the message had to of arrived to Crimson telling them they were on their way. There shouldnt be any trouble but there was still that underlying feeling that it wasnt going to be good.
The closer they came to her house Aletta felt unnerved. Then she felt it. Cold, darkness and the scent of burning. Smoke. Strong heavy scent of scorched earth. Pulling from Jaccob's control she forced her horse forward and ran past the men ahead of her. When she reached the edge of the woods near her house she could see the skeletal remains of what once was her home. Burned, charred and crumbling. Not a stone let unmarked. The only thing that remained standing was the fireplace on the first floor. All else had collapsed.
Dismounting she made her way to the rubble. Just as she got to the edge where her porch once stood someone grabbed her shoulder to stop her.
"Nay , my child. Tis not safe to go inside that ruin." The look on the man's face was somber but she paid him no attention. Shrugging off his hand she made her way into the edge of the debris. There was nothing left.
Jaccob rode up and jumped from his horse. Walking up behind the girl he knew that all was lost here. But he had to know one thing. Where was the staff?

G

Taking Aletta by the shoulder and pressing lightly she turned to face him. Tears streaked her face as she looked into his eyes. The disbelief was wanning on her and she was near collapse.
"Aletta my dear child. This seems not the right time to ask this of you but i must......Where did you leave the staff?"
Looking into her uncle's eyes she almost slapped him.How could he ask such a question at this time. Her home. All her possessions. Gone. How could anything else be of importance. Then she snapped her head to attention. Crimson and the others. Where were they.
"Oh uncle. Where is Crimson? They were to wait for us here. Surely they would of left word if they were leaving.....They would not of left without some sort of warning."
Catching Aletta in his arms he hugged her tightly. From the many years of being with the girls aboard ship he knew that they were alright. His faith in them was stronger than ever and with all hopes they were far away.
"Fear not my dear. I have the utmost faith in your cousins. There is no way they were caught up in this. They knew ahead of time someway and got out safely...I am sure of it."
Turning she looked again at the rubble at her feet. All was lost. Each precious bauble she had collected. All the trinkets that the girls had brought her over the years. Memories evaded her mind so swiftly she almost couldnt think straight. All the good times they had in this house. It was like losing a family member itself.
Aletta took a deep breath and straightened her shoulders. Picking up a long even stick from the trash she started poking and prodding her way through the wreckage. Jaccob followed close behind her. When they reached what was once the back side of the house she began shoving debris from the area. Finally clearing out a small spot she knelt and began digging around a stone tile on the flooring. Once she loosened the tile she lifted it up revealing a space beneath the floor.
Jaccob stood over her and watch. With no rooftop to block it out the moon shone full and bright. Lighting the once cheery room and allowing Aletta to complete her task. With a bit of work she pulled a blanketed object from under the floor. Standing and turning to her uncle she stretched out her arms and gave it to him. The look on his face was of total shock. The dear sweet girl had hidden it well. Still not knowing the power of this staff she still made sure it wouldnt be found. Smiling at her now he knew this one had as much potential as all the others. In her own right she was just as formidable as the rest.
Pride welled up in Jaccob as he circeled her shoulder with one arm and clutched the bundle with the other. Leading her out of the remains and back to her horse they mounted up to ride off.
Once again they had been thwarted by this enemy and once again they needed to seek out refuge to regroup. Riding back to the road to join the others he thought deeply on where they would of gone. He knew that Crimson once lived in the mountains of Wind but she had long since moved away from there.
Polgara had taken up residence near the mountains of the Compassion Desert but he wasnt for sure she still lived there. Vagabonds the lot of them. Bella had a house on the coastline across from Cove but had since turned it over to a friend of hers Aveindha since she now resided on the Black Rose. The only other that had any housing was that of Scarlett, but with her dark past and involvement with the Shadowlords he wasnt sure where she was living now. He knew for certain it was through the gates to the darker side of the realm. He never did understand why anyone would want to live in such a place. The evil and corruption there was more than most could stand but she seemed to thrive on it.
When they reached the gate Thranos and the others stood in wait. He seemed to understand the looks on Jaccob and Aletta's face. The rider who had came to them at first relayed what he had seen and there was no more to say about it. Jaccob came closer to Thranos and they sidled off to one side to talk a bit. But Aletta could feel the illwinds picking up from the south. She knew they couldnt stay there too long. Something was heading their way and it didnt seem to be anything good.

G

Stepping through the gate once more was becoming quite difficult for Aletta. She was growing weary of the gate travel and wished they could just travel by normal means. But with not so normal forces on their trail it seemed a foolish thing to wish for.
Stepping through the other side she felt a thickness in the air and a smell that was not pleasant at all. The only thing that was distinctive to her was the scent of the ocean breeze wafting through the trees. As the group approached the road she noticed that things seemed a bit similar to the other side where her house used to be. Strange how these portals can be mirrors to a point of each world. She would prefer her side of the fence anyday though.
Headiing up the road the smaller buildings on the edge of the city were very much familiar. This was definitely Britain but on the darker side. They crossed the bridge and headed towards this sides version of the Cat's Lair. Standing off to the shadows the group waited as Jaccob went inside.

G

Moments later Jaccob came from the tavern and joined up with the group. The look on his face was of disgust and weariness. Apparently the news he had hoped to get from the patrons wasn't all he was expecting. Aletta moved her horse towards her uncle and stopped by him touching him lightly on the shoulder.
"Tis alright girl. I was just hoping to get more information than what I have.
Those blathering idiots in there couldn't find their way out of the Trinsic swamps with a guide or a map."
The humor in his comment sent a thrilling chill through her body. She always loved hearing her uncle say little things like that when she was growing up and it still gave her the same feeling even now. Patting her uncle on the shoulder once again she nudged her horse to move on.
"So uncle did you find anything out at all or are we to be trapsing all over this god forsaken land looking for the girls. I don't mind telling you that this side of the world makes me a bit edgy. There seems to be a dark forboding here and I don't lilke it."
"Aye my sweet. It is a bit darker than you are used to but this is where your cousin lives and thats where we need to be heading. There is one more tavern here in town I wish to check out and then we will decide what to do next. Although it doesnt seem like it there are royal guards here and we are relatively safe."
Relatively. That was becoming a word that Aletta was getting tired of hearing. Nothing in the last few weeks has been relative to her. Weariness and fear was becoming the normal attitude around her and it wasn't making her feel any better with Jaccob not sounding sure of himself. She just wished deeply they could get with the girls and get this whole thing overwith.

G

The sun breached the canopy of green and streamed througout the windows of the house. Many times Scarlett had seen this happen but today it felt glorious. Her family , shy two members was under one roof and seemingly safe for now. Never in her wildest dreams would she think the things that have happened would come as they have. They all had had many adventures in the past and had safely gone their seperate ways. But this was altogether different. It wasnt right at all and not knowing all of the specifics made her edgy.
Walking softly through the house she noticed that they were all still sleeping. Crimson had even found a soft bed to crawl into and took rest she was sorely needing. As she looked about at her family she noticed that one person was missing. Jack. Somewhere in the night or wee hours of the morning he had slipped out. Thinking to herself she knew that Bella would be angry over this. But then again it might not be too much of a surprise as they often came and went from each other. That was the crux of that crazy relationship.
Moving through to the outer balcony she began gathering things to try and put together a meal for her girls. They would be needing nourishment and it was time they all sat down to have a talk about what they were going to do next.
Looking out over the small fort infront of her house she gazed down the road. Off in the distance she could hear movement but it was still too faint to ascertain what it was. Hopefully it was good news. She wasnt quite ready for anything bad...yet.

G

As the intrepid group from Luna moved closer through the forest the sun was clearing the near mountains. Through the trees in the distance many rooftops could be seen. To Aletta it seemed like they were heading towards a city of some type. But if this side of the moongate was a mirror of the other she knew there was no city or town here. She had often heard of guilds building their own villages. Perhaps this was one of them. Not knowing much about this side of the world she had no ideas. As they passed a few homes and came around the bend in the road she saw a small fort-like structure right on the road. There were a few people standing about but they made no movement as if concerned for the their approach.
Standing at the edge of the fort entrance a dark cloaked figure gave a shrill whistle and immediately there were horseman coming through the woods. Aletta was suprised at the response.
"Uncle...did they know we were coming? Or do they keep horses at the ready all the time."
Looking sleepily at his niece he only smiled. Several of the men around them chuckled as they knew any good warrior was always at the ready.
By the time they reached the fort they were quite surrounded and from the back of the fort a tall regal looking man came forward. Dressed in white it was an odd sight to see. For here in this darkness and drab surroundings he indeed looked out of place.
Jaccob slid from his horse and approached the white knight. Both nodding a greeting and grasping arms in hello they both smiled at each other . Jaccob turned towards Aletta and motioned for her to approach. As she slid from her mount she noticed that the rest of their company was being led off to other areas of the village. Apparently they were to be given comforts by the inhabitants. That was also another surprising event to Aletta. Thinking this was such a terrible land to be in and then to be confronted with such hospitality amazed her.
When she reached Jaccob's side she glanced up from under her hood and looked at the man dressed in white. His features were chiseled like that of a grand statue. His white hair flowed about his cloak and there seemed to be a light that radiated around him..although Aletta knew it was only her imagination. But this man was grand in all manner and very very handsome. Not knowing any better but showing respect for this man she graciously curtsied and the man before her chuckled. Reaching out he tipped her face towards him and smiled brightly. He seemed somehow to know who she was and his gesture made her feel safe and comfortable for the first time in days.

G

"Master Jaccob...you have arrived at last. Lady Crimson will be most pleased."
The comment sent a thrill through Aletta's mind and soul. They were safe at last. The worry over the past few days had taken a tole on her and she was weary with fear for her family. Looking past the man speaking she didnt seem to hear anymore of what he said to Jaccob. She looked further past and on the second story balcony of the house behind the guard shack she saw a familiar face.
Bolting from her uncle she ran towards the house and yelled at the top of her lungs.
"CRIMSON.....CRIMSON..."
Running and waving her arms wildly the men around the shack laughed out loud at the sight. The young girl amused them but made them feel at peace at such behavior. The grim realities surrounding them made them quite stoic at times so this brief happiness in the young girl was welcomed.
Looking down over the guard shack Crimson saw someone running towards the house..and then she heard that small voice yelling up at her. Seeing who it was made Crimson bolt through the door and down the stairs to the outside. The others inside looked at her strangely as she ran past ..but no one offered to ask her what was wrong. They simply stood and followed her outdoors.
As Aletta reached the stairs she was greeted with open arms of her cousin. As they stood hugging and crying in each others arms the rest of the family came into view. No questions were asked of each other just huggs and laughter. When Polgara and Katrina reached the door they stood in amazement looking at their sister. Tears welled in Pol's eyes and the hugging proceeded again. After a time they retreated into the house and settle Aletta into a comfortable chair by the fire. Her shaking wasnt from the cold but from the excitement of being with her family..but she wasnt going to spoil the attention.
As she began to tell them of her adventure to Luna and the things she had seen the others began to fall silent and a bit withdrawn. Bella retreated to lean on the fireplace grabbing the poker and stirring the fire. Katrina went back to the cot and lay back down to rest but kept her face turned towards them listening to Aletta talking. Pol sat on the floor at Aletta's feet and lay her head in the girl's lap. Crimson sat next to her and held her hand while Scarlett walked the room anxiously. After a few moments she looked about the room. Something wasnt right and she would soon be at the bottom of it. She hadnt yet told them about the staff so she felt she would wait for Jaccob to come.
Silence filled the room and it settled in closely. Pol jumped up from the floor and began scurring around to make a meal for her sister. That seemed to bolster the spirits of the others as they too joined in at making her more comfortable. Bella and Scarlett went to draw a bath for her and Crimson went to find clean clothes. This behavior was not like them at all. Or at least not for many years. They were acting the same way they did after one of their sea adventures. Hopefully she thought that wasnt what was going on.

G

Cool waft of forest scented air made its way through as the men came inside and closed the door behind them. There infront of her stood the man she had seen when she first arrived. His welcoming smile and the jovial glint in his eyes made her more at ease. There were two with him that she did not recognize. Then the familiar face of Jaccob came into her view as he moved around the others to come near her.
There was a bit of relief felt in the room when Jaccob pulled off his cloak and tossed it over the nearest chair. He never was one to be modest and full of grace but for some reason his action had a different tone to it. Crimson felt that there was something very different about Old Jaccob and before she could try to figure it out Aletta approached Jaccob and hugged him tightly.
Pulling him by the arm she motioned for Jaccob and the others to take seats near the fire so that things could be discussed with the other girls. Aletta shuffled off to the other room for a few moments as the men settled and prepared themselves to talk about the upcoming events that were about to take place.
As Aletta was moving about in the kitchen area the other girls joined her and stood watching as she worked. All with confused looks on their faces as they had no idea what Jaccob was doing with such men as he had in his attendance.
"Aletta. I think we need to have a talk, dear."
The others nodded in agreement and then waited for Pol to continue.
"Polly. For once in your life can you not just trust someone. I have every confidence that you will know what is going on and it will be in a matter of minutes. I wish to feed Uncle Jaccob as he hasnt eaten in quite a while and you know he gets cranky if he is hungry. As for the others its only fitting and respectful to offer them refreshment as well. Especially Master Aidan who has graciously allowed us to invade his territory." With that being said she continued on at preparing a tray for service.
Once again the others were taken aback by Aletta's assertiveness. And once again the same ones giggled about it. Crimson and Pol were at a loss of words once again and only stood and watched as the girl continued her work.
Crimson thought back to all the times in the past when Aletta was always there at the ready with a hot pot of tea or a meal fit for any wayward traveler. That was how she always treated the girls whenever they came to port or happened across her doorstep. The memories seemed to lighten Crimson's spirit and she turned to go back to the front room where the men were waiting.

G

Sitting back comfortably in the chairs provided Thanos, Aidan and Jaccob were quiet. Waiting for the oportune time to talk to the girls. Aletta entered the room right behind Crimson and placed the tray of food and drink infront of them. Cautiously she sat down across from Jaccob and looked hard into his face. He had changed somehow since their last meeting at his woodcutters cottage. but she couldnt determine what kind of change is was.
Aletta sat on the floor next to Jaccob and lay her head against his leg. It was a strange thing for Crimson to see this in her cousin. She really had no idea what had transpired between those two during her absence. But the almost fatherly touch he bestowed on Aletta's head stabbed at her own heart. Strange that such feelings would suddenly hit her so.
After a few moments Thanos cleared his throat making it known to all that time for the discussion was at hand. And with a wave of his hand Jaccob summoned the other girls into the room since they had been standing in the doorway the whole time anyways. He laughed a bit to himself that even though the girls were much older and seasoned in their own vocations they were still young spindly legged girls grappling up and down the mast poles of ships and acting more like boys than they should. His memories were vivid of them back then. Spending a great deal of time with them aboard the Black Rose.
Once the others had found a place to sit or stand as Scarlett always preferred they prepared themselves to listen to what these men had to say. As usual Polgara was indifferent to anything said and remained in the background somewhat. She was never fond of Jaccob as the others were and it was obvious from there previous encounters in the Skara woods. Funny how Crimson never paid mind to it then but now it seemed strange to her. She looked around at the assembly and suddenly had a forboding feeling hit her. There was to be bad news coming and she wasnt at all sure she was ready to hear it.

G

The friction in the room could be felt by all. To Thanos he knew there was a great tension now btween these girls and Jaccob. Although he had known Jaccob for many years it was later in their lives, so he didnt know a great deal about Jaccob's past. He was about to find out if instinct served him correctly.
Standing in the background Polgara stared at Jaccob. She remembered him from his years on the BlackRose. Cooking, mending and generally taking care of them all. But there was always an underlying resentment she had for him. Although she learned most of what she knows from him she still fel t uncomfortable around him and he always seemed to know it. Whether he did or not was of no concern to her.
Jaccob leared his throat and took a dip swallow from his cup. The tea was strong just as he liked it. Peering over the rim of the cup he gazed about the room at all around him. This was going to be the hardest confrontation he would have to make in his life.
"Pleasant home you have her Scarlett. Seems the times have been good to you?"
"Yes......Yes, Jaccob they have. And thank you for noticing?" There was a hint of annoyance in her voice which the other girls picked up on instantly. They all knew that Scarlett was not one to mince words and was the one most likely to call someone out if the time demanded it.
Adjusting herself against the edge of the fireplace Bella crossed her arms over her chest and leaned into the warm rocks. Intently looking at Jaccob she let out a sigh which drew manys attention to her.
"Jaccob. You have stalled long enough. Tell us waht the hell is going on Old Man. If you do indeed know anything at all?"
Taking another sip from his tea he then leaned forward an dsat the cup down. Sitting on the edge of his chair now he fumbled with his hands and let out a long breath.
"Right...Right you are Bella my dear."
Crimson thought to herself. Finally and about time the old badger was going to get down to business.

G

Adjusting his robes abit Jaccob stood and folded his hands infront of him. Telling the entire truth was going to cause quite a stir in this house and many unknown feelings were going to come into play. But he knew it had to be done. For all their sakes.
"Well. As you know there is a dark force at work here. And it all seems to be directed at you girls. I wasn't completely aware of how far or deep this force had grown until just the last few days. Now knowing what I do know it is imperative that we work together to overcome this evil."
Taking in a deep breath Crimson stood and walked towards Jaccob. Standing infront of him she looked deep into his eyes. There was something there she had never seen before. Fear and a great sadness. The twinkle of mischief was gone.
"Jaccob....Whatever it is you must tell us. We know there is something out there after us. Hell we almost lost Pol and Katie over it all. And Bella herself was almost taken from us..and you know that is no easy feat in itself."
"Yes, Crimson I know this. But at the time I had no idea what or who we were dealing with. Now I do know and I am not sure if you all are up to this huge deadly task. It could very well mean the end to one, a few or all our lives. Are you ready to do that Crimson?"
Jaccob looked straight into her face and saw no fear. All he saw was great anger and mistrust. To see this in her face and in her eyes saddened Jaccob greatly. This was the day he had dreaded for many years.

G

Staring into Crimson's eyes Jaccob cleared his throat again and took a deep breath. The reaction of all the girls was something he didnt want to see as he knew each one for their power and temper. It would fall upon him greatly when all the truth was revealed to them. Aletta, dear one that she is knew a little about the truth but not all of it. She knew of the staff and about her uncle but not enough to really base an opinion on what Jaccob was about to reveal. How would she take it he wasnt sure. She and Katrina were the most gentle of them all. Mainly because of their ages but because of the paths they had chosen. Katrina was the youngest of them all and he didnt know that much about her. All he knew was that she strived to follow in Bella's footsteps and that bothered Jaccob greatly. For the most part Bella was a good hearted soul but had a viscious nature to her. He really didnt want this for Katie.
Snapping back to reality he looked about from the corner of his eye and saw that all faces were intently staring at him. The moment had come and he had to face it all.
"Many years ago my brother and I were quite close. We fought side by side and did just about everything together. Always the stronger of us my brother was the brawn and i was the brains to anything we ever did. Not saying I was weak physically but he was much much more stronger than I. He was not stupid himself either...he was a very intelligent man but he drew that from experience not by using other techniques as I learned to do."
The girls continued to watch Jaccob as he began to walk about the circle of chairs where most were seated. Pol continued to stand off from them all and Crimson took a seat by the hearth and began staring at the fire.
"Once our father passed away by brother and I began to drift apart. His ideals of things began to change from mine and when Polgira passed away his mind seemed to drift to other things...evil things. It drove him mad."
At the mention of her mother's name Polgara stood straight and approached the old man. She looked at him with fury in her eyes but knew that what Jaccob was saying was true. She had seen her father wail and scream to the heavens many a night after her mother passed away. She knew the heartache he felt.
"Yes, Polgara. I am your uncle. When your father disappeared shortly after your mother died I took it upon myself to take you girls in and raise you the best i could. It was not an easy task. You were older than ALetta and Katie but it was still hard . You yourself were most difficult at times and I have noticed that the years have not changed you much. You can still be quite difficult."
Small smiles crossed a few of their lips at his tone and what he said. Pol was not amused. And it seemed that Crimson was not amused eitehr.
"After a few years you girls decided to go out and begin your lives so I stood back and watched. Waited. And then as you know ended up aboard your ship to lend a hand. By then you didnt remember who I was. Even Pol forgot. I guess changing my appearance the way I did let me be amongst you so that I could better keep a watch on you. That was the only way I could help teach and guide you all in what you wanted to do. I was and am proud of everyone of you for the things you have done over the years. And yes Bella even you. "
Again small chuckles of laughter emerged from the group. Aidan and Thranos sat back sipping their tea and listening. Both knew pretty much of what Jaccob was saying and they also knew they were seeing another side of this old man they never knew before as well.
"One day I left the BlackRose at the docks of Britain. I had gone ashore to gather some things I needed for our next voyage and had heard some rumors that my brother had been sighted and was searching for me. So I sent a message to you all that I would return to you as soon as I could. I never knew that it would be quite some time before I could return. Searching out my brother was a harsh and dangerous journey and when I found him it was not what I had expected."
Turning his back to them his shoulders slumped a bit as if disappointment had settled in on him. He stood there for a few moments before he began to speak again. All the while the girls kept their eyes focussed on him.

G

Gaining his composure Jaccob continued talking. His voice had changed and became broken and sounded full of tears.
"When i found my brother he had fallen in with some of the most vilest creatures known to the region. He had become one of them. Physically and mentally. The evil surrounded him like a shroud and just his voice spewed out evil. I cringe now just thinking about the things he said to me. Demanding that i turn over his daughter's to him so he could bring them up in this new found world of his. He wanted desperately to turn you three girls into evil minions of his and his Lord. When I refused he said there was nothign i could do to stop him."
Turning back around and facing the girls they could see the pain in his face. They then realized that Jaccob had gone against his own brother to protect them.
"I did what I had to do. Or at least what I thought I had to do. My brother and I fought. We fought long and hard with each other and for me it was the worst thing I had ever done. He had grown stronger in many ways...but so had I. The years before I had joined you on the BlackRose I had trained with my friend Thanos here and learned many many things. I learned how to weild a sword and use magic at the same time. Little did I know that my brother had learned a few things as well. Where my magic was of the "good " nature his was from evil. I do believe Pol you call it Necromancy. Which I know you have dabbled in from time to time. But my brother had become a full fledged Necromage and with the added power of his sword made him even more dangerous."
Polgara cringed at the thought of someone using necromancy. She knew all too well that all that sort of magic mainly dealt with the dead. She had spent some time learning this skill and after some time decided it was not to her liking and gave it up. Dealing with the dead and undead was not to her liking. So she switched her craft back to regular magic and the newer earth magic known as Spellweaving.
"My brother and I fought for what seemed like weeks. But it was really only a few days. Neither of us giving up and neither of us giving in. This was truly goign to be a fight to the death. Upon the last day of our battle I felt surged with great energy . Where it came from I will never know but it was enough to give me the advantage and overcome my brother. I smote him down and left him lying on the charred ground in a pool of his own black blood. His minions around us fled in fear and with what strength I had left I made my way back to Luna."
Thanos fidgeted in his seat for a moment and then spoke clearly and plainly.
"That is where I took Jaccob in hand and healed his many wounds. Well the many physical wounds he sustained. The mental and emotional wounds were his to deal with. I tried my best to give him as much council as I could. After he had regained strength and was able to stand on his own again he left my company and rejoined you girls on the BlackRose."
Staring at Thanos they all looked at him with thankful eyes. They seemed to appreciate the fact that he offered Jaccob comfort when they could not.
Crimson rose from her seat and crossed the room. Laying a hand on Jaccob's shoulder she could feel him tense. She knew then there was more to this story and she needed to prepare herself for the rest.

G

Dropping her hand to her side Crimson turned to the others. She knew they had many questions but the look she gave them told them to save it for later.
"Please Jaccob. Continue. We have to hear the rest of your story and what this all has to do with us now."
"Yes my dear you do. As I have revealed to you my brother was Polgara, Aletta and Katrina's father. And by my hand and my hand alone I took his life to protect them. For this I will forever be heart broken. But my most deepest regret and heartbreak is that I have not been honest with my own children."
Heads came up and all focused on what Jaccob was saying and about to say. Looking back and forth to the three crimson headed females in the room he could no longer keep his secret.
" I was once and forever married to Ebony Rose...your mother."
Bella jumped from the wall and it was all Polgara could do to keep her from reaching Jaccob. Scarlett bowed her head and shook it as if she had known all along and Crimson stood there staring in disbelief.
" I know this is a great shock to you but it was your mother's decision not to revea who I was to you. When you were babes still in swaddling I had gone away many times adventuring. Each time I returned there seemed to be a new babe that arrived. Finally the last time I returned home was when Bella had been born. Your mother bade me to stay forever or to forever leave. She cuold not take the rambling I had done over the years. So at her request I packed my bags and left for good. I was too young in my mind's thinking to settle down and become whatever it was she thought I should be."
Stepping around Crimson Jaccob walked to his chair and slumped into it harshly. He seemed so old and tired now and he loooked as though he would just fall into a deep sleep. After a moment of absolute silence he raised his head and tears fell from his eyes.
"When I got word that your mother had died and you girls had set off to find your ways in the world I knew i had to find you all and be with you. I had left Ebony with too much burden and was too reckless to realize it. There she was raising 6 young girls on her own. Mine and those of my brother's. It was wrong of me to do such but did not know that then. Thats when I found you and signed on to work on the BlackRose. After many years of teaching and helping I felt it was the only way I could be close to you all and keep you safe. Then the time came when I fought my brother and I truly felt you all were safe. Thats when I moved on and let you live your lives. But trust in this there's not one moment I didnt know what you were doing or where you were at. I had my own ways of keeping track of you all."
The air in the room was full of emotions. Like tinder to the flame. It would only take one spark and the whole house would go up in smoke. Thats when the front door burst open and the cool night air drifted in. All heads turned to the open door and as the mist died down there was a lone figure standing in the doorway.

G

The figure moved in slowly shaking off the rain from its cloak. As soon as the light hit the figure jsut right they all saw there was no threat and breathed out a sigh of relief. Shaking his shaggy black hair about he dropped his cloak at the doorstop and closed the door to the winds.
"Aye. Mighty fine night it is outside. Cold as the backside of a witch and windy as any norther I ever did see." The looks that he recieved were more than he had expected and he was almost ready to turn tail and run for the door.
"Dirk. You have the most exasperating way of making an entrance I have ever seen of a man. Go to the kitchen and fix yourself something to eat and dry off....We still have business to talk over here."
" Well well a fine how do you do. And me with a bit of news meself. Guess I can wait til you wrap up your talks to give you my news. Just hope it dont take too long. Those black hooded blokes arent that easy to shake off you know."
As Dirk started towards the kitchen he was grabbed by both arms and ushered to the fireplace to warm himself and if it werent for his escorts being Aidan and Thanos he would of put up a bit of a fight. He knew those two men were as strong as he was and he was just too tired to fight right now.
"Quickly as you can Dirk...tell us what you saw?" Jaccob was with out hestitation in his asking.
"Now now Jaccob. I need me a drink real quick . I been riding for a day and a half non stop and I need me some drink."
"Blast you fool...tell me what you saw or there wont be time for you to even think of drinking and luxuries you are accustom to."
"Alright old man alright. Those hooded figures that have been following and tracking these Fine lovely ladies have been ransacking every town from Skara Brae to Minoc. The entire eastern side of Britain is in flames and its all the Royal guard can do to keep down the panic. They have even called on the Brethren of Luna to aid them. Last I saw them as I was heading south of of east Britain they were taking the northern pass towards Despise and checking old residences of the ladies. Seems they know exactly where all the girls lived at one time or another and they are hitting every location....I even heard one say they were heading to Wind and checking the caverns there as well."
They all looked around at each other. If these hooded ones knew where the girls were all once living it would be only a matter of time before they would indeed catch up with them. Running to Jaccob's side Aletta knew what would happen if they were found here.
"Take care Aletta I know what you are thinking. But we do have the upper hand. Since Scarlett is so well known for her secrecy its highly unlikely they will find us here so soon. We do have time to make plans. I think the best thing for us to do right now is get some rest and we can set forth our strategy in the morning."
"You rest if you want to old man but I for one wont be resting. I have been sitting about here like a scared jack rabbit long enough. I will not sit by and let them sneak up on me again. And I think you really need to tell us the rest of this sorded story before we go any further."
The bitterness in Scarlett's voice set Jaccob back a bit. But shaking his head in approval he motioned for them all to take a seat so he could continue on with what he still knew.

G

After all the time that had passed over the years this would be far the worst thing that Jaccob had to do. To tell the girls the truth was not going to be easy. He hadnt even told Aletta the absolute truth when they were at her burned out home and had retrieved the staff. She only knew that Jaccob was indeed an uncle but nothing else to the extent of his relationship to her or the other girls.
Looking into the faces of these beautiful, strong women he was even more afraid of them that what was waiting out there for them. As they stood about half prepared for the battle that raced towards them he knew he had to at last tell them the whole truth.

G

Looking around the room Jaccob took in a deep breath. He looked at each one of the girls trying to predict how they would react to his confession. No reaction would be good that was for certain. All the years of hiding the truth had finally came to an end and he knew he would have to tell it.
He looked at Crimson and her eyes. She was aged far more than her years just because she had the gumption to take all the troubles unto herself. For this he felt a huge amount of guilt. He had been with them off and on for many years but she alone had kept them all together. For that he was most proud of her. The others had their own ways about them and he was that much proud of them as well...but his heart would always be stronger and then again more fragile towards Crimson.
Sitting up a bit straighter in his chair he looked downward towards the floor and cleared his throat.
" For many years I have traveled off and on with you girls. For many years I have watched you grow into the women you are today. I am proud of all of you for the things you have done...and even for some of the bad things you have done I have been proud. But what i have done to you in the past I am not proud. There have been many lies swept beneath the brambles to protect you but now I see that was not the right thing for me to do."
Questioning eyes stared back at him. Aletta knew a bit of what he spoke but she was still confused about some things that he had never spoke. He could feel the tension building in the room from all there and knew he needed to say it all.
"For all these years you have called me Uncle. For the most part that is true. I am uncle to some of you..but not to others. I made promises al though from afar that i would watch out for you and for the most part I have done so. I stayed away when i felt it was safe to and when you all went in different directions I felt that I had done well with you and you would be safe. Never did i expect the things that have come to pass to happen."
The girls looked about at each other. They knew they were all related but to what extent they really didnt know. Of course the sisters knew they were sisters..but they had no idea what closeness there was with the others.
"I am uncle yes to Pol, Aletta and Katrina. Infact I am as close to father as I could be. My brother was once married as I was to twin sisters. So that makes you girls double cousins. As close to sisters as you can get...."
He stopped for a moment to let what he had said sink in and it was Scarlet who put the words together.
"Are you telling us Old man that you are our father?" There was no cheer in her voice but there was no real anger either.
"Yes my dear. I am your father. Father to you , Crimson and Bella."
There was an eery silence in the room and then a log in the fireplace fell out of place and made everyone jump in their seats.
Bella would had been standing by the fireplace slide to the floor in shock. Shaking her head in disbelief. Scarlet cursed under her breath and walked to the other side of the room. Cimson only stood in place and stared at Jaccob as if he werent even there.
"There are many reasons I didnt tell you who i was when you were growing up..mainly because of the shame i bore for things that had happened. I wasnt there when the f amily needed me and for that I am sorry. Your mothers made me leave our homes and never come back...their grief was that strong. So i left and never turned back until i heard news that both Ebony and Roselyn were both gone. Then i came back to care for you girls best i knew how."
"My sins kept me from ever telling the truth...but now i have to."
Looking at Pol and then at the other two young ones was a hard task to bear.
"The reason your father was never about was of my doing. He had been misled by evil forces and had changed his ways that were not of our beliefs. He had decided that this new way of life was what he wanted...wanted more than his wife, children and family. In doing so he tried to take a family heirloom that was supposed to of been filled with great power. Although i knew it wasnt it was up to me to keep it from him. So one night he tried to take the staff from me and within this fight I killed my own brother."
The girls looked at Jaccob and could see the pain he had held in for so long. They still felt anger towards him but they understood what he was telling them. Their mothers had instilled in them a certain belief that had been with the family for generations. They knew what it must of meant for Jaccob to do what he did.
"I buried the staff in our village and thought it was safe there. But with my brother being gone then I never thought about the staff again. Until all this trouble with you girls started. Once I put all the pieces together i realized what was happening. Someone is looking for the staff. Someone still believes the staff is of great power and they are searching anyway and everywhere they can to retrieve it."
Aletta stood and left the room only to come back a few moments later with a huge blanket wrapped object. She lay in on the floor infront of them all and unwrapped it gently. When she pulled back the last of the wrapping all could see what looked to be an ornately carved staff. The pommel of it was that of a dragon head and down the shaft were carvings of runes and such. No gems or gold but just ordinary wood. When the girls drew closer they noticed that the staff began to change. The color grew lighter and when the last of the girls came close it turned almost white. There was a faint glow to it. Kneeling down as they surrounded the staff there was a light hum in the air as well. Jaccob looked at the staff in shock. Never had he seen this reaction to the staff...even when his father held it for many years. It was true. The staff was filled with some great power.