• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If you could start UO all over, you would....?

• Thread starter love2winalot
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

love2winalot

Do what differently?

Hail: So, Knowing all you know now, and it is the last part of 1997, What would you do differently? Limited to 3 things, as this is the requirements of time travel, and to let everyone post, and to see all the different priorities.

1. Account codes used to be printed out on a sheet at game stores, and you could get as many as you wanted, but only pay for 1 box.

2. I would have used all charater slots on all shards as they came online. And have all accounts/charaters over 90 days old.

3. I would have kept things that were taken out of the game, and had several houses so they would be grandfathered.

=Today, as just as avg joe smo, i would be RICH, Rich i tells ya, Rich like pirates.:D

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have melted down about 4 power supplies in my pc doing the yank the chord out of the back as you teleport to T2A dupe and made thousands on eBay.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would have started playing 3 years earlier than i did, when i was first introduced to the game by my ex. i didn't start playing until right before we broke up. if i'd been playing the whole time i'd be just about ready to ride a polar bear by now. i also would have started reading these boards from the get go. i was in my 3rd year of playing before i started reading and posting here. to think of all the things i missed out on...

A

Aboo

I'm not sure I would do anything differently except tell my sister about it sooner so we could have played together in UO longer.

S

ShadowJack

I would start lobbying myuo boards in 97 to prevent pub 16 and all that ugly neon stuff.

And I'd try to have about 5 towers per shard in town zones

(favorite was the small house on catskills that used to be right in front of the brit mining cave. It was in that little square of server lines.

That or one of the in brit houses (still a big fan of the little houses that are in cove)

and I wouldn't have to worry about the uo police banning me for some random crap. My first day in the game a gm came and walked around with me for an hour when I was lost in yew woods. He took me to the brit bank and showed me how to play a little (was probably around dec of 97 or jan of 98)

And I'd have a blast gating people to the shroom room in deciet and stuck spots. (gate hopping has always been a hobby of mine)

R

RenaLynne

Hmm...
Prolly would on gotten my own acct faster. (Used a friends for a long time.)
and maybe...
Created more characters on diff shards.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have made it priority to horde like nuts and place a castle or two.

M

Millie

I would not of gotten frustrated and deleted my 1st two 7x chars. :(

J

Jeremy

Ah, Itarion, deleted untimely... would that I could have withheld my hand.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would have started playing 3 years earlier than i did, when i was first introduced to the game by my ex. i didn't start playing until right before we broke up. if i'd been playing the whole time i'd be just about ready to ride a polar bear by now. i also would have started reading these boards from the get go. i was in my 3rd year of playing before i started reading and posting here. to think of all the things i missed out on...
Roughly Copy/Paste above =near enough.. i def. wish id been closer to the start of UO.. oh well a polar bear aint that far away....

D

Dicimiie

I wish I'd played at the start of the game as well. I think I started playing in 2001 or 2002, and by then a lot had changed. I would have liked to have seen what it was like from the beginning. So I guess just playing at the start would be my #1.

#2: I wish I'd started blacksmithing earlier.

#3: Made more gold I suppose. Really can't think of a good #3.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and i wish i'd been closer to the start of UO , so i could have joined one of the seer/em/gm event 'clicks'...were all the freinds and guildies got given all the nice rare stuff that are selling for silly mega gold today... jeepers... what a miss out!!!

G

galefan2004

1) I would have stayed with the game the whole time. I've lost countless houses, played multiple accounts I no longer play, and started over way to many times over the years.

2) I would have started and maintained my own guild for the entirity.

3) I would have kept better track of the people that I used to play with that I no longer play with.

The thing is I always wanted to try something different, so I took time off of UO many times to play games like DAOC and WoW.

G

galefan2004

I would not of gotten frustrated and deleted my 1st two 7x chars. :(
I'm glad I'm not the only one dumb enough to do this, but I deleted 4 accounts worth of toons over the years.

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if i could start back again i wouldnt have erased my buddies main charicter because i didnt know i named a charicter with the same name and desided to erase it but forgot waht shard i was playing and erased his instead... boy was he mad..........

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope. I would steer clear of this and any other life sucking games.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*thinks*

*thinks some more*

I actually can't come up with any UO regrets.

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Start at the beginning of UO, when it was full of ppl, joy and life -which is no longer the case (even PKs are fun -yes ! yes !) :sad4:

2) Learn the game better and faster : still tons of things I don't know !!!

-------------------

BUT, what I would never change is the pleasure I took in everything I did in this game.

N

Nosuperiors_Damnfewequals

I would have stayed gone when we all quit because of AoS.
Would be over the withdrawals by now ;)

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would STOP the development of UO:REN... :)

I would tell people about future MMO's, I would help advertise UO like crazy, EQ wouldn't have been made, or WoW..

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would only do one thing.

I played UO from the day it went public on Great Lakes.

About 8 months after Tram went Live I was convinced I would never come back.

I sold both accounts.

That is what I would NOT do the second time around.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not start UO all over again. I would go play a game where there is some support and the staff at least give me the impression they know what they are doing.

L

Lady Maleficia

First thing I would do is make sure before I started that they could keep their equipment in proper working order!

S

ShadowJack

I say revert back (on a shard or 3 at least, since everyone will move there) the game to what it was before pub 16.

Then they can focus on a game that was more fun, and didn't have 1000 messes going in 1000 directions.

Seriously I don't want to blame EA, but since they bought Origin, the game development has been like watching a blind man trying to pick up liquid soap in the shower at Rikers Island

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I could go back 8 and a half years, I would never allow myself to play UO, thus leading to WoW. MMO's were the most waste of my life, and it was only just this year that I realized how much time I've wasted. *sigh*

S

Severn_Catskills

I would have stayed in the game for the entire duration instead of hoping off and on over the years. I started by character on Catskills when the shard came online and have made a huge number of boo boos over the years by building up skills and then letting them fall. I would have also kept in touch with a lot of my buds over the years, Lord Krin being one of them.

Kind of off topic, but if a new shard started up I would be there in a heart beat. A fresh world with everyone starting from scratch. I remember the start of Catskills and it was cool because everyone was new and the economy wasnt completely destroyed.

EA open a new server please! :)

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. I would steer clear of this and any other life sucking games.
Yeah...because then you could do something like...race cars...or play golf...or fly fish...or scuba dive...or sky dive...or climb mountains.

Oh wait.

You can do all those things anyway.

Walls do more than keep stuff out.

They keep you in, too.

Just put in a door, and use it wisely.

I wouldn't do much different. I really love this game, and all the great people I have met over the years.

Had I not played, I would have missed that aspect of my life.

I still do lots of other fun things...but I guess if I had to pick one thing...it would be to make sure I never let any of my houses (albeit small ones) decay...back when you had to refresh them, no matter what.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He probably means things that take hours and years of dedication to improve on that have otehrwise been sucked away by playing MMO's for hours.

In my case it's catching up to me that I never spent time learning to play Piano, or to be an artist. So it came back to bite me in the A$$ after all these years. All the thousands of hours I have split between UO and WoW, actual in-game years. I sort of regret it now.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ohh I play sports, go out at night and party, hang out with friends, attend barbeques, and allot of other fun stuff with friends and family.

But there are days where I used to veg out in front of the pc for HOURS and HOURS at a time. Ive called into work to raid/defend in factions or attend a special event. Ive skipped dates, ive blown off social activities and all that...

Im just saying, it was Life sucking...dont be offended by it.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I would do:

1) Create bald chars so that I can get wigs
2) Steal all the server births I could get my hands on (on all shards mwuahahaha)
3) Assign my chars to mage/warrior/crafters right off the bat, instead of having to drop gm swords when archer-mage was uber, train archery to gm, then drop gm archery when it sucked again...
4) Place 5 castles in the guard zones on every shard (but this would have sucked during the years that you have to manually open the doors to refresh your houses)
5) Turn half the chars on non main shards red (to get the naughty xmas bags)
6) Do not eat the fruitcakes in the nice xmas bags (argh, I still can't get over this one) :sad4:
7) Buy tons of npc colored platemail and smelt them into ingots
8) Keep the braziers from liches
9) Keep the human jerky from cutting up human corpse parts...
10) Keep the 2 storey statue that was stuck in a bag

C

Calla Lily

I would have started playing on a West Coast shard instead of an East Coast shard, just so there would be more people playing during the hours I play.

I would have taken better care of my account info so one of my accounts wouldn't have gotten hacked, all my things stolen, and my characters deleted :( Not a happy time.

I would have left all my regs stacked in the bank rather than putting them into commodity deeds when I left to take a break from playing, because they weren't there when I came back.

(and yes, wouldn't it be wonderful to only have to buy one box with as many game codes as we need rather than buying multiple boxes for multiple accounts)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrmm, the only thing I would have done differently would have been to create my thief on Siege as opposed to regular shards. Now I just don't have the patience to create it on that gain system anymore.

J

juka

that correct, I un-installed then installed and no problems with login.

I

Ifful

Not much I would do differently. I've enjoyed UO and the various mistakes I made only adds to my fond memories of the experience. I don't think I could do it all over again, since I would know what to expect and that would drain the fun factor.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. buy about 50 or more tent deeds

2. place multiple houses on the same account

3. choose phoenix armor and item bless deeds from the cleanup britannia

S

Sindris

I would lobby Origin and flood them with phone calls to keep the little house I had placed in the middle of the entrance level of Destard. That was a fun two days. lol

S

Surindur

1. Do everything possible to keep EA from taking over UO.

2. Saved the couselor/seer volunteer program.

3. PK'd and dry looted Galactus while he was still a noob! hehe..