Ideas for Icicles on a ROOF!

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere, Fast
I'm decorating for Christmas as I'm sure a lot of us are and I'm looking for some kewl ideas for icicles. I know that Ankh Pendants would work very well, but alas I can't really afford to purchase a bunch of them (and even if I could, they're hard to come by).

I thought about using the Blue Crystals but i think they might look a little gaudy--also, they're even more expensive than the pendants.

Any ideas? thanks!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2003
always Legends
have to use your imagination here, this is what was used under the overhang on a deco'd house on one of the Japanese shards...... you could only see the white legs hanging down on the exterior shot (which I neglected to keep)

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere, Fast
wow, i remember this picture from awhile back and being amazed. i'm not sure they'll work for my house, buuut i'm sure gonna try. i'll keep you posted (assuming it looks good, if not, imma never gonna tell) 8)

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere, Fast
sigh, nevermind. apparently the only way to make them is with tokuno white dyes and even if people had any--and they don't--i couldn't afford them.

and i checked, the natural dyes do not work. i even tried dying a whole set of boards and seeing if i could use them to make stuff with, but apparently when you dye boards they turn into some sort of non-board that can't be crafted into anything.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 27, 2004
Siege Perilous
Someone posted this a while back but I didn't get the designer's name, just that it was from one of the Japanese shards. This is the icicle-stool house with the top on. :)

-Skylark

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
beaded necklace made in dull copper?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
sigh, nevermind. apparently the only way to make them is with tokuno white dyes and even if people had any--and they don't--i couldn't afford them.

and i checked, the natural dyes do not work. i even tried dying a whole set of boards and seeing if i could use them to make stuff with, but apparently when you dye boards they turn into some sort of non-board that can't be crafted into anything.
You can use the natural dyes, but it's a charge per item. You don't dye the boards, you dye the item after it is made. You have to make it with the special woods (oak, ash, etc) and then dye. If you do this with a deeded item you have to dye before you place the item.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 7, 2008
Nowhere, Fast
do you ever get these lofty ambitions and dreams in your head about what you think your house ought to look like and then set about to do it and find out that no matter how much you dream something it doesn't matter if you don't have the skill to follow through with it?

i've been trying my damnest to get icicles to go on my roof but no matter how many tables i stack or how i situate the gozas or use my ladders i can't ever make them reach high enough. this has been an ongoing problem actually as i've been trying to put the reindeer on my roof and can't reach either.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
Heritage token ladders might help. You can place the goza mat at your feet while standing on the ladder. Then place a new ladder on that goza mat and walk up the ladder and place again. Need to use the castle style ladder. Anyways, you can get quite high this way then lower down to where you need things to go.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
Yay for gifts this year!

They can be turned, raised, etc. The ones on the inside are layered with each other to make fatter, longer icicles (and also raised a few times). They do not show on the roof outside when I step outside, so no roof poke thru. The ones on the outside were each raised twice. Yayay!

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 7, 2006
Atlantic / Boston MA
i was so psyched to see icicles are one of the gifts this year!
now the only thing on my holiday wish list are strings of lights :)
i know if you place 'poppies dust' over hedges it gives the look of christmas lights on them (which is way cool) but having strings of lights mimicing the awesome garlands from last year... *head spinny*

T

Tazar

i was so psyched to see icicles are one of the gifts this year!
now the only thing on my holiday wish list are strings of lights :)
i know if you place 'poppies dust' over hedges it gives the look of christmas lights on them (which is way cool) but having strings of lights mimicing the awesome garlands from last year... *head spinny*
The poppies sound a lot easier than the 10 jewels per that I did on the hedges (green rooftop pieces from the house design) in prior years. That was a royal pain to set up. The Rubies, Emeralds, Sapphires, Amythests and Citrines did look good though!