• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ICQ alternatives, what's available?

G

Gellor

Title states it... my ICQ is freaking out and I'd like to find a new client to ICQ with.

What are my options?

I recall there is one real popular one but I'm drawing a blank:yell:

A

AesSedai

It is highly encrypted and has always seemed to be much safer than other instant messengers. It also allows free voip (voice) chats. Unfortunately ICQ seems to rule in UO & it has always had its share of vulnerabilities.
This subject is dear to me as I never understood why people still prefer ICQ in UO ever since safer and better IMs became available.

G

Gellor

Not overly worried about the voice part of it... my guild has that covered:D

I'm trying to figure an ICQ client alternative. My guild and many of my old friends use ICQ.

K

Kiminality

The main three I know of are Miranda, Trillian and Pidgin.
The can all use ICQ, as well as other IMs, such as MSN.

Seinken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can use AIM too, just add the number and it's automatically done on AIM.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm gonna add in on the pidgin and trillian. I use both and both work with multiple instant messengers well.

P

peanutbutter

Title states it... my ICQ is freaking out and I'd like to find a new client to ICQ with.

What are my options?

I recall there is one real popular one but I'm drawing a blank:yell:
i think there's an application that will forward messages to and from all IM's... can't remember the name, though... maybe a firefox add on...

B

BadManiac

Pidgin is by far the best. It's tiny, it's fast and it doesn't use any system resources. It has no unnecessary features, no extras, no junk, no bloat. And it's multi platform. It just lets you do the IM basics, messages, smileys, files. And it supports all the most common IM protocols.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
trying it now, though only for icq. I have several scripts and performs in my mIRC client that I'd rather not lose, and I'm assuming I would if I used pidgin for that?

R

Rix/\

ICQ is yesturdays gamers IM ( also one of most likely to be hacked )

past several years gamers have been using Firefox. I'm not talking UO gamers, I'm talking gamers in general there are alot of nice features that support gaming and such as hours played blah blah. Where as ICQ has always been a hackers gateway.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I forgot to mention Adium, which I love and use from work. I hope to get it at home too.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pidgin is by far the best. It's tiny, it's fast and it doesn't use any system resources. It has no unnecessary features, no extras, no junk, no bloat. And it's multi platform. It just lets you do the IM basics, messages, smileys, files. And it supports all the most common IM protocols.
I use pidgin too, it's okay. I think you can get plugins.