• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I wonder...

J

JHoward

:eyes:how many people left on oceania?

Ive been running around throughout the lands of late and see fewer and fewer houses anywhere...:eyes:

S

siyeng0

:eyes:

:eyes:how many people left on oceania?

Ive been running around throughout the lands of late and see fewer and fewer houses anywhere...:eyes:
Well, I can't speak for Oceania's current population... :eyes:

But this thread so far is looking rather awesome. :eyes:

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

There is still people around... Not everyone sits at the bank 24/7...

I have been wondering around the deepest dankest dungeons looking around and to my surprize I accually see others down there to... Most are either decong there houses (like me) hunting that rare beast to get that fantastic weapon, or doing guild events... dont asume the shard is empty because you dont see anyone...

I agree however it is quite at times but its not to bad.

:spider:

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have been wondering around the deepest dankest dungeons looking around and to my surprize I accually see others down there to... Most are either decong there houses (like me) hunting that rare beast to get that fantastic weapon, or doing guild events... dont asume the shard is empty because you dont see anyone...
:eyes: That's true. :eyes:

S

siyeng0

Oh god, you guys, help me. I just caught myself staring at the :eyes: and I couldn't look away.

We've created something terrible. :eyes:

V

Voodoo990

There is still people around... Not everyone sits at the bank 24/7...

I agree however it is quite at times but its not to bad.

:spider:
Lets not kid ourselves, the population of Oceania has decreased incredibly over the last year or so. Just in our guild we've lost 70% to 90% of our members to other games, two more just closed their accounts last week. I now play on Sakura as well as Oceania and the difference is major.

To place a 18X18 house on Oceania, recall anywhere take a few steps around and place your house, on Sakura it will take you days searching to find a spot even to put 10x10 and then only if a house went IDOC. I really like Oceania, but it is a ghost town these days, and unless AS is released soon, marketed and put on the selves at your local IT store, it won't ever get any better.

K

Katlene

it doesnt help that i have never seen a scrap of advertising. even with the last box sets there wasnt even a poster up in the window or anything. most of the gamers these days play things that they hear about, like wow. it had massive advertising. as cheesy as it was, it got the name out there. When i went to buy SE i walked over to where it should have been in the store. couldnt see it for the life off me.
i enquired.
i got the whats that? ive never heard of it, from the shop assistant. she had to type it in just to make sure it existed and there was 3 copies, on a shelf not where new release stuff should have been.
People dont know it exists people wont play.

Thats the majority. The players that have left either got suckered in by the shiny lights of wow (makes me want to vomit) or left because of the imaturity of other players. and immature players trying to be top dogs. And also for the lack of help in game.

Will take alot to get oce back to they way it used to be :(

S

siyeng0

But until that day comes...

Let's all enjoy what we have! Cool moving emoticons. :eyes: :eyes:

On a positive note, I'd just like to mention that the new plants are gorgeous. Does anybody else think so?

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

Lets not kid ourselves, the population of Oceania has decreased incredibly over the last year or so. Just in our guild we've lost 70% to 90% of our members to other games, two more just closed their accounts last week. I now play on Sakura as well as Oceania and the difference is major.

To place a 18X18 house on Oceania, recall anywhere take a few steps around and place your house, on Sakura it will take you days searching to find a spot even to put 10x10 and then only if a house went IDOC. I really like Oceania, but it is a ghost town these days, and unless AS is released soon, marketed and put on the selves at your local IT store, it won't ever get any better.

Maybe so but doesnt mean its dead
I have been able to play alot more then before (baby is a bit older now) and i have seen lots on.. yes my guild is dead... well always has been but more so now... not everyone sits at the bank is all i'm saying so unless we look around you wont see many...:eyes:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That maybe so, but I would be willing to bet that there is far more people playing now than there was 6 months ago, on Oceania anyway. Its starting to get back to what it was like a year ago... has a way to go yet, but the population is on the rise.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it doesnt help that i have never seen a scrap of advertising. even with the last box sets there wasnt even a poster up in the window or anything. most of the gamers these days play things that they hear about, like wow. it had massive advertising. as cheesy as it was, it got the name out there. When i went to buy SE i walked over to where it should have been in the store. couldnt see it for the life off me.
i enquired.
i got the whats that? ive never heard of it, from the shop assistant. she had to type it in just to make sure it existed and there was 3 copies, on a shelf not where new release stuff should have been.
I agree that UO's marketing is severely lacking, especially in Australia. However, they need something to market first, like SA. I am hoping (not holding my breath though) that Mythic can make a change for the better as far as this is concerned. Even if SA doesn't make it to the shelf, just having a new expansion will create massive interest for anyone who has heard of UO (which while UO is not mainstream, is a lot of people).

Nah not that much, it will take one thing... that one thing just has to be released first. Well, it might not get Oce back to its peak, but it will do wonders.

V

Voodoo990

:(
I had the same thing happen with the 9th box sets. They had plenty of boxes it was just that no one knew what it was and the boxes were not even on the shopping floor, they were stuffed in the back.

T

Teeshy

:eyes:Too:eyes: many:eyes: posts:eyes: without:eyes: shifty :eyes:eyes :eyes:

siyeng0, :eyes:yes, I love the new plants =D :eyes: I think I have to stop growing them to sell :eyes: and grow some to keep =P :eyes:

F

Fink

Back on topic..

"I wonder..."

...how many people are going to stop and say "hi" while I'm training to check I'm not afk.

B

Bladron

Thats the majority. The players that have left either got suckered in by the shiny lights of wow (makes me want to vomit) or left because of the imaturity of other players. and immature players trying to be top dogs. And also for the lack of help in game.
Speak for yourself. I left because EA systematically removed every dynamic challenge out of the game. As they did, they also completely gutted the atmosphere of the game by adding an excess of numbers, statistics and other modifiers to weapons and armour, effectively converting the game from being primarily player-based to being item-based, which is exactly why I played UO over, say, Diablo 2.

UO now offers little over other games that it competes with, in my opinion. It also shows as it bleeds players daily to the competition. There's little left in UO that cannot adequately be found elsewhere.

Furthermore, you can no longer sell UO. There is no way to sell a game that looks as dated as it does. Even if they did bring back the gameplay of UO's prime, gameplay odes not sell. Graphics do. You cannot play a game from the box in the store - you can only look at the pictures on its box. Graphics sell a game, and gameplay keeps the players around. UO is beyond being able to be sold via advertisement, and will only survive due to word of mouth. Currently, word of mouth does not bring the players in, and so UO is dwindling to eventually evaporate away.

It will be an extremely sad day when it does, because UO, by far and away, holds some of my best gaming memories without a doubt. Nevertheless, it has been a long time since UO was at its prime, and thus there is little left to keep players around besides nostalgia. Eventually, though, that evaporates, and you see the gradual loss of people.

UO will not close its servers, no. However, you will see a gradual decrease in players until the world is so sparsely populated that it becomes little more than a single-player game. EA will never reduce the landmass of servers to try to bring the population together because that means removing content, not to mention a large swag of other issues such as housing, so the population density will decrease and eventually result in it dropping below a critical amount, at which the game will become no more worth playing than a singleplayer emulated server.

edit:
I should elaborate: I see mythic as one of the best, if not the best, dev team in the industry. If anyone can save UO, it is them, and I have immense respect for them after watching DAoC's life on and off and participating in WAR's beta and release. UO is in the best hands it has ever been, but even this cannot save it from the condition it has been left in. Not even they are amazing enough to manage to pull UO out of the downward spiral it is on. I know I certainly couldn't without immensely pissing off the current player base, which is something they would not do and therefore something that I think is largely impossible to achieve.

If they do it, though, I will certainly eat my hat.

PS: :eyes:

S

siyeng0

Back on topic..
"I wonder..."
...how many people are going to stop and say "hi" while I'm training to check I'm not afk.

You know, "I wonder" sounds like a fun game! :eyes:

"I wonder..."
What grotesquely overpowered pet they're going to introduce next. My bet is A Greater Nightmare. With magery, necromancy, chivalry, bushido and cooking. Oh, and wings. And four horns on its head. All of which shoot poison.

"I wonder..."
Why a magical skeletal sin-against-God lord of the undead who rides a unicorn and swings around a huge explosive bladed weapon with wild abandon doesn't bother anyone until they figure out he's gay, upon which they hightail it the hell out of there.

"I wonder..."
What my new peculiar and fragrant saplings are going to grow into! 8D

What do you wonder?

Edit!: I also wonder why I forgot to put the shifty eyes in. :eyes: :eyes:

F

Fink

"I wonder..."
Why a magical skeletal sin-against-God lord of the undead who rides a unicorn and swings around a huge explosive bladed weapon with wild abandon doesn't bother anyone until they figure out he's gay, upon which they hightail it the hell out of there.
Similarly, I wonder... why a formerly-conjoined twin brain-damaged unholy reanimated teenage girl made from pieces of other people who herds dragons for kicks is perfectly acceptable until it's revealed the character's being played by a male, at which point people begin referring to her as a him because they "just can't deal with it" otherwise. :eyes: :eek: :eyes:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
edit:
I should elaborate: I see mythic as one of the best, if not the best, dev team in the industry. If anyone can save UO, it is them, and I have immense respect for them after watching DAoC's life on and off and participating in WAR's beta and release. UO is in the best hands it has ever been, but even this cannot save it from the condition it has been left in. Not even they are amazing enough to manage to pull UO out of the downward spiral it is on. I know I certainly couldn't without immensely pissing off the current player base, which is something they would not do and therefore something that I think is largely impossible to achieve.

If they do it, though, I will certainly eat my hat.

PS: :eyes:
I agree, Mythic is good for UO. I always thought that once UO finished the 'move' from EA's LA Studios to Mythic's studio that it would be a good thing, and I think we are starting to see that now. The amount of content, Dev communication, and direction of the game has improved drastically from where it was a year ago. Your right, they have a lot to fix, they are on the right track though. They have delayed SA's release to get it, the game, and the SA client (KR v2) up to scratch... which is a welcome change from the past. Lets hope they can get it right this time, they are going well so far compared to their predecessors.

http://www.uoherald.com/stygianabyss/gameoverview/gargoyle/

best hands it has ever been
I know what you mean, but I would disagree with this... OSI during the t2a era was the best hands UO has ever been in, in my view anyway. UO has never been the same as it was then. If EA-Mythic can surpass this, then UO is headed for good times indeed.

M

MoonBeam[TBD]

I wonder ..... :eyes:

What fun Halloween Event will be happening this year?

B

Bladron

I know what you mean, but I would disagree with this... OSI during the t2a era was the best hands UO has ever been in, in my view anyway. UO has never been the same as it was then. If EA-Mythic can surpass this, then UO is headed for good times indeed.
I think that the T2A team was not the best team there was. It was a better game then, but that is due to how extremely good it was. Right now Mythic is working with the ruined shell of what the game was at T2A era. Had mythic worked with the game back then, I think it would have been even better than it was at that stage.

Hence my saying that Mythic exceed the T2A team, but the T2A team had a better product simply because of what they were working with at the time - what they had on their plate with the state of UO at the time, etc.

J

JHoward

Ive got more time now to look for ppl on oceania:eyes:but i cant find anyone to talk to about my great time as PM:scholar:.

Im sure theres someone around that still worships me:bowdown:.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive got more time now to look for ppl on oceania:eyes:but i cant find anyone to talk to about my great time as PM:scholar:.

Im sure theres someone around that still worships me:bowdown:.
Oops my mistake, I didn't realise this was the roleplaying prime-minsters forum, I guess I better go then.