• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I need a helping hand/ friend

D

Doruga

I'm new to Final Fantasy XI and i play on the Phoenix server, this is my first time starting a new game on my own I've always had friends to back me up on mmo's but not this time. I'm a skilled gamer and a good listener (as long as you know what your talking about) lol, anyways to the point i need someone who can speak fluent english and who has been playing the game for at least a few months, if you have a vent server that would be great for it would make things go much faster. so if anyone feels up to it pm me your info ill be waiting and thanks in advance.

Y

YoungUn

Hi! Welcome to the game, it's a lot of fun. Not a lot I can do for you because I am on Caitsith (and play really odd hours), but everyone here is usually friendly and can answer questions.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm new to Final Fantasy XI and i play on the Phoenix server, this is my first time starting a new game on my own I've always had friends to back me up on mmo's but not this time. I'm a skilled gamer and a good listener (as long as you know what your talking about) lol, anyways to the point i need someone who can speak fluent english and who has been playing the game for at least a few months, if you have a vent server that would be great for it would make things go much faster. so if anyone feels up to it pm me your info ill be waiting and thanks in advance.
I agree with what YoungUn stated. I don't play right now, BUT...I did play for a long time and I have experience with every expansion. What race and class are you looking at starting with? What are your long-term goals? Like what class would you ultimately like to be?

I didn't play on Phoenix, but doesn't matter to me...I could switch servers if you don't find anyone.

Reason I ask as far as jobs is many...many...many NM's and other things you can duo in the game. Some duo's work well together...some don't. Just a little food for thought.

D

Doruga

Well I'm a Mithra Warrior I was going to make a rogue kind of class but i was unsure of how they would do solo, (I'm lvl 11 by the way) and as for long-term goals I would like a class that's good for support or PvP <--which i prefer. (and i haven't found anyone yet but I'll keep looking lol).

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm a Mithra Warrior I was going to make a rogue kind of class but i was unsure of how they would do solo, (I'm lvl 11 by the way) and as for long-term goals I would like a class that's good for support or PvP <--which i prefer. (and i haven't found anyone yet but I'll keep looking lol).
Nice...I have a 75 thief. Thief are one of the supreme soloers due to their evasion skill (best in the game). PvP I can't speak too much for since Ballistica is the main type of PvP. There are others, but someone else will have to expand on that. I don't recall off of the top of my head.

Thief normally you can go, monk level 1 to 18, then level warrior for your subjob to 37, then you can either level thief up all the way as far as you can, or get the ninja subjob and level that to 37. Either way, ninja and warrior are your main subjobs for a thief as a main job.

D

Doruga

Hmm I'll keep all this in mind, thank you very much for the info if anything else comes to mind please let me know I'm always open for any advice you may have.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I'll keep all this in mind, thank you very much for the info if anything else comes to mind please let me know I'm always open for any advice you may have.
Well, mithra is a popular choice for a thief main, so nice job there. Starting at level 12 you will want to use a x-bow whenever possible. That way at least for pulling mobs, you can get used to the spacing as well as learning what is and what ISN'T a good pull. Once you start leveling thief up full time, I highly advise keeping your marksmanship capped. And...once you know what Maat is, it will come in handy for that final fight.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, I forgot to mention but...try to keep your evasion capped as well. It is harder than it sounds unless you stay with a warrior sub the whole way. Which...is feasible but you will get declined some parties as well with not having ninja subleveled up to 37. Hope that helps.

D

Doruga

Thanks that's good to know, sure wish leveling was a bit faster though or the combat i hope that changes later on. also should i worry about getting into a LS or is that more of mid game kind of thing?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks that's good to know, sure wish leveling was a bit faster though or the combat i hope that changes later on. also should i worry about getting into a LS or is that more of mid game kind of thing?
It's not like Lineage II where sometimes...it happens once you get into the LV30's and sometimes LV40's. In FFXI, you can join a LS almost immediately if you want. You will want to do some research though as some LS have different purposes AND some linkshells aren't good. As far as the combat piece soloing...it's not fast. Even high end mobs take a little bit of time. Just so you know this for later on:

Average party rate of experience is about 5 to 6,000 experience points a hour (good rule of thumb is after level 50). If a party is doing less than that and you can find another party...do so.

Good parties do over 6k a hour. Note where I said average and where I said good.

Also I advise taking up cooking and later on when you can afford it more...woodworking. Even if you just do both to 60 (the max you can go for a non-primary craft) you will save quite a bit of money.

Hope that helps.