• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I honor the old mods that left the boards - but, do we get any explanation of the situation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Let me ask: why would it be a bad thing to make stratics guides/info more wikilike? I see outdated/missing/broken info often, but other than a pm to Petra, there wasn't much I could do to fix it.
Good question...

We're not going wiki due to liability concerns with content and representation. We will be working on a sort of "encyclopedia" format.

If you would like to join staff as a contributor or author, we do have some openings and will be setting up an application process soon. ;)

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Good question...

We're not going wiki due to liability concerns with content and representation. We will be working on a sort of "encyclopedia" format.

If you would like to join staff as a contributor or author, we do have some openings and will be setting up an application process soon. ;)
That's why I mention more a wiki format and approach; I don't have that kind of time, nor do I suspect do many. But on a passive level of commitment, simply drive-by as errors/omissions are noticed, it's easy to quickly improve the data.

The rare items database, for example - the rares community could likely very quickly get a far more complete listing put together as people notice missing stuff/details. Just to mention 3 people, Manticore has a great list of event items, Angel Dust keeps alchol-related items listed, and I have lists I maintain of rubble types, hues dyes and other things, pies, etc. None of us is going to have the time to build a full database as a giant project - Decadence tries at her site, and it's way too big for one person, or a static listing, to handle - but in a wiki-type format, many hands would make it a much easier and far more valuable reference.

Same for events; Longtooths and I put together ultimaonlineevents.com and the calandar of events there. It's something that'd be far better handled here, though, with EMs directly entering official events, mods entering shard-wide events, and players entering player events. Hopefully something to allow you to filter between player and official events as well. Text lists are all fine and well, but there was a huge need for integrated/accessible schedules of these things, hence the google calender I started putting together, which formed the core of that site. But again, even for the small group that cooperated to try and keep it up to date, it's a lot of work, and mostly that work duplicated the work EMs/etc were doing on a per-shard-basis anyhow. (And it depends on us noticing such events have been posted, wherever they do get posted.)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good question...

how hard is it to join the staff? thats the idea i had for the "wiki" that people who wanted to alter it would have to be pre-approved, but then could alter whenever they wanted. 20-50 pre-approved players would be able to keep the page up to date well, while not having to worry about trolls/bad info.

i basically just think that if someone is going to write something, simply having to check to see if somethings already be worked on would prevent most players from contributing. but if there was immediate access that knowledge could be documented as soon as someone thought to do it.

like, this is what i dont want to happen:

I see no info on VvV.
I write up a detailed explanation of VvV.
I submit it for approval
I get "Oh sorry someone was already working on that we dont need it"

Perhaps some areas can could be all access wiki, some controlled. Like the rares databases in brians example. it is impossible and i know of absolutely no one who has extensive knowledge of every single rare item out there. it would take at least 10 people.

Last edited:

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Gotcha. What you both example are things that have been brought up in our planning. We haven't come to any hard decisions, but wiki is not on the table. What -is- possible is a more collaborative way of generating content while yet giving credit where it is due. That is a feature we are working into our development.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've yet to see a day where those who are "in charge" are not the same people as those whom recieve the wrong end of the stick, it's part of the role and it will never change. Lots of people have felt that some Mods on this board leaned to far to one side of some discussions, be that true or not, and I am hoping that a change of guard will bring in a breath of fresh air. It will take some time to find a middle ground but, with luck, none of the old hang ups will carry over.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Volunteers relinquished their postions enmasse.
how hard is it to join the staff? thats the idea i had for the "wiki" that people who wanted to alter it would have to be pre-approved, but then could alter whenever they wanted. 20-50 pre-approved players would be able to keep the page up to date well, while not having to worry about trolls/bad info.

i basically just think that if someone is going to write something, simply having to check to see if somethings already be worked on would prevent most players from contributing. but if there was immediate access that knowledge could be documented as soon as someone thought to do it.

like, this is what i dont want to happen:

I see no info on VvV.
I write up a detailed explanation of VvV.
I submit it for approval
I get "Oh sorry someone was already working on that we dont need it"

Perhaps some areas can could be all access wiki, some controlled. Like the rares databases in brians example. it is impossible and i know of absolutely no one who has extensive knowledge of every single rare item out there. it would take at least 10 people.
"liability concerns" She answered this, you quoted it, and then asked the same thing again.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"liability concerns" She answered this, you quoted it, and then asked the same thing again.
from the wording im assuming that was concerns with wiki content, not the staff. i understand concerns about an unregulated wiki, which is why i suggested a pre-approved wiki-editor list rather than anyone.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to be insane to outsane the sane.

With that said , I wish the former staff and owner good fortune in health and happiness in whatever they do.

To the current and new staff and owner, best of luck on whatever you are improving or attempting to do for Stratics.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry but you're not getting a pass on this from me. There is only one reason the migration took as long as it did; it was prepared poorly!

Sure, migrating data can be complicated and time consuming and computer systems can sometimes throw a wrench. That is why you setup a test-environment. And you don't take the old site offline until you're satisfied the new one works properly. Doing otherwise makes you look like a bunch of amateurs, and indeed that is my impression of the new owner and staff.

You'd get much more respect from me, and I'm sure the Stratics community as a whole, if you'd own up rather than apologize.

Oh, and that goes double for whoever the new owner is. I don't know why so many of the old staff left, and quite frankly I don't care. But failing to address it does not garner trust.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry but you're not getting a pass on this from me. There is only one reason the migration took as long as it did; it was prepared poorly!
So it took a week. big deal, it's done. Not everyone is IT savvy, so maybe they thought they could do it on the cheap and do it themselves. Problems took hold and it took longer than planned. Big deal...la

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
from the wording im assuming that was concerns with wiki content, not the staff. i understand concerns about an unregulated wiki, which is why i suggested a pre-approved wiki-editor list rather than anyone.
Exactly my point. Sure, approve me for a wiki. That's a huge time commitments difference from "staff". (And requires zero paperwork.)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ok first off blaming all the staff or lumping us in is not fair! I along with most others I had nothing to do with any of the move! My job is to help people on the boards moderate and make sure everyone plays nice! and take care of the devs and bug forums!
As to why no one has come forward and said why they left that is their business and they all are my friends I have no right to air their reasons! If they choose to so be it!
Now you always have the option of pming them and asking they may or may not tell you!

Time to move on, and get back to the game folks!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ok first off blaming all the staff or lumping us in is not fair! I along with most others I had nothing to do with any of the move! My job is to help people on the boards moderate and make sure everyone plays nice! and take care of the devs and bug forums!
As to why no one has come forward and said why they left that is their business and they all are my friends I have no right to air their reasons! If they choose to so be it!
Now you always have the option of pming them and asking they may or may not tell you!

Time to move on, and get back to the game folks!

I dont think the "get over it" approach is the best way to answer this. It takes people different strides to acclimate to the change, which, after all, was the point in this thread.

All in all I hope none of them were wronged and that's why they are leaving. However, it's hard to think otherwise when they leave in droves.

You'll have to excuse me, but I would like to see some explanation.

I guess if it's something you don't want to moderate, you can always lock the thread.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think the "get over it" approach is the best way to answer this.
Welp, that's the approach you were given.. deal. We are not discussing the details of our leaving. That is that. End of discussion. There is no reason for anyone else to know the personal business of a select few, and I am sure the existing moderators are tired of the incessant questioning. Please, just let it be.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welp, that's the approach you were given.. deal. We are not discussing the details of our leaving. That is that. End of discussion. There is no reason for anyone else to know the personal business of a select few, and I am sure the existing moderators are tired of the incessant questioning. Please, just let it be.
you have to admit tho, by posting very publicly on UO hall, the leaving staff were inviting questions. cant go back, but was probably not the best way to do it if no explanation was to be given.

Cant have it both ways. Cant post very publicly and expect to not have very public questioning / confusing / conspiracy theories.

If the staff had left silently, yes there would be no explanation warranted at all. however that wasnt the case.

I myself probably wouldnt have announced leaving at all if i didnt expect massive questioning/confusion from the public and wasnt ready for that.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Just my .02...

When staff leaves is is customary to do a brief post letting people know you are vacating the position, most especially if they have been staff for quite a while. I even did a quick post on the Atlantic forums to let people know I would be going on hiatus for a while, and I was only a lowly reporter *shrugs* Personally I do not think that makes the staff member obligated to give a reply to why. But, I do agree with you that when so many leave at once it opens the flood gates for conspiracy theories/fear mongering and the like... however, to me that is just a symptom of our society as a whole.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A few of the former staff have posted that they have no intention of giving out details of their decision publicly. Some have even stated that it has nothing to do with new management and ownership. At this point trying to guess as to reasoning, and making assumptions is pointless, and is nothing more than Beating a Dead Horse. :bdh:

Any reasoning as to their decision to vacate their position, is only known by and can only be given out by them. At this point this thread is now pointless as by now you've had all the answers from them you are likely to get. If you wish to ask them, please by all means send them a PM which they can answer or ignore at their discretion. Their decisions deserve the right to confidentiality to the extent they wish it.

Restarting any discussions about why the Former Staff decided to leave in a new thread is not recommended. They result in flared tempers, unjustifiable conspiracies, and do an injustice to all those individuals who dedicated their time to try and assist and serve you as members of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.