• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I had to close my house

S

SugarCane

Cause it was full of free players... who don't even speak english, give me negative social, eat and leave plates everywhere - I simply had to leave the house in the end 'cause I couldn't take it. And I have to stay open or I won't make it to any place where I can actually be seen.... I don't know anymore. I am tired of it all.

Is it only money and skill-categories that free players are not allowed in? Because I changed category to
to get rid of them and they still keep coming - seriously - I can't bloody take it. There is no visitor-bonus for having them - they just eat all your food and never tip - I am so sick of it.

G

Yup, the only places free players can't enter are money and skill lots.

The language issue seems to be more in TC3, than EA-Land... from what I've experienced.
I don't play there anymore, but when I did... I worked at the restaraunt, and every time I went to work, the other people who were there, did not speak english... so I ended up having to leave.

H

HoTDeViL

<blockquote><hr>

Cause it was full of free players... who don't even speak english, give me negative social, eat and leave plates everywhere - I simply had to leave the house in the end 'cause I couldn't take it. And I have to stay open or I won't make it to any place where I can actually be seen.... I don't know anymore. I am tired of it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget carrying cakes around and hide them somewhere,
making puddles in front of the showers and clogging toilets.

I found a great solution. i built a pool without ladder
ohh and a single teleporter.

M

mattnotley2004

Free players can't get into money or skill lots. All other lot types they have access to.

EA need to setup a warning upon logging into EA Land, for free players... stating that the city has restricted play, and if they want unrestricted play, head on over to TC3.

If they wish to continue with unrestricted play, they may.
At the moment there is too much confusion for new free players.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

I don't get this premise. All lots that aren't skill or money have to support free players... for nothing? Why can't the free players just play in TC3 and then get a pop up like... 'This is our test center feel free to use it for your evaluation... if you subscribe you can go into ea land, (etc., etc.).'

G

Because some free players want to get a look at EA Land before they subscribe. It would be different if TC3 was a carbon copy of EA Land with the same cities and such. EA probably just wants free players to realize that there are many more places to go in EA Land, and that its much larger than the relatively small area in TC3.

Not all free players are freeloaders and jerks, many of us are legitimate players who simply haven't yet or can't pay at the moment. Shouldn't lump everyone together

P

Peppie

<blockquote><hr>

Is it only money and skill-categories that free players are not allowed in? Because I changed category to
to get rid of them and they still keep coming - seriously - I can't bloody take it. There is no visitor-bonus for having them - they just eat all your food and never tip - I am so sick of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's mean they probably just didn't know how to play the game .. We should try to help them to figure out how to use things that will probably make them stay and become a paying subscriber.

S

SugarCane

Why do you think I opened a welcome house??? I have helped people and I have talked to them - even the majority who doesn't speak any English - I have tried to deal with their Spanish (the little I understand) or their few English words; unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of a huge number of free players who actually even have had a conversation with me - no matter how many times I say 'hello' or 'welcome' or whatever - I get no response - they just walk around or eat food and whatever. But hey - I am just complaining right.

G

There are paid players who act the same way, albeit more free than paid. I understand your frustration, what i'm saying is that its the individuals who caused it, not free players as a community, that are to blame

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

Because some free players want to get a look at EA Land before they subscribe. It would be different if TC3 was a carbon copy of EA Land with the same cities and such. EA probably just wants free players to realize that there are many more places to go in EA Land, and that its much larger than the relatively small area in TC3.

Not all free players are freeloaders and jerks, many of us are legitimate players who simply haven't yet or can't pay at the moment. Shouldn't lump everyone together

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think that the free accounts should only be in TC3. I don't think that anyone is saying that free players are freeloaders and jerks but there has to be a solution to those that ARE. Make a lot category that accepts all objects. Make the skilling and money making low (say $5 item) and they will see what the game is about. Free accounts don't need to be in EA Land. For the poster that said that they might want to see what EA Land is before joining well it's basically the same as TC. I'm pretty sure the developers could tell the non-subscribing (let's call them that) players that EA Land is a bigger city with more places to go without actually having them in there.

Everyone is alway's bashing the players that don't want the non-subscribing players in their house. I suspect that this is because they haven't experienced it. It is SO HARD to make money in this game with no rewards that I totally understand why the OP doesn't want them there. Ok, to be fair paying players are also the same way but if we are all honest here at a much lesser rate than non-subscribing players. I don't know what the solution is but we do have to find one.

G

Get some roomies with various language skills.

An easier way would be to learn some foreign languages.

Perhaps some day, the dev's will let us copy and paste from the chat window and we could use AltaVista.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

Why can't the free players just play in TC3 and then get a pop up like... 'This is our test center feel free to use it for your evaluation... if you subscribe you can go into ea land, (etc., etc.).'

[/ QUOTE ]

Mhm.

G

I understand how you feel.
Most of the time free players are okay, but when they just keep going on and on and on and on... Sometimes you just have to close the house.

I suppose you could just boot the annoying person out too, but it's hard to do that...

I enjoy them when they are played by "normal sane people" though.

S

snowboarder

suggestion,
Don't make food unless they ask for it.
Put a pay door to the food so they HAVE to pay for it.

Just a suggestion...lol

G

They should have dealt with the store issue separately.

Free accounts should give visitor hours in the other categories.

G

Hun,

TC3

was not ment for

"Evaluation"

TC3 was not created to be like
oh here

free lot for free players,

Those who are complaining about not being able to work..
I understand it is hard to not have any money

but you have to realise

TC3 is a TESTING Center

for DEVs to TEST things

=/ I know people might tell me Im incorrect,
and tell me it isnt fair.

but in honesty

if TC3 was ment for free players...

why have people pay at all?

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

Hun,

TC3

was not ment for

"Evaluation"

TC3 was not created to be like
oh here

free lot for free players,

Those who are complaining about not being able to work..
I understand it is hard to not have any money

but you have to realise

TC3 is a TESTING Center

for DEVs to TEST things

=/ I know people might tell me Im incorrect,
and tell me it isnt fair.

but in honesty

if TC3 was ment for free players...

why have people pay at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, then if tc wasn't meant for free players then either get rid of them alltogether or make a city just for them. Why should free players even be in tc when they don't know what they are doing to test and have no incentive to post bugs and such. Say, why have free accounts at all?

G

*TTL*

I am so sick of the prejudice against free players. Prejudice in general, really, but specifically here against the free players. Not one person who harps on free players as a group stops to realize that nobody that feels discriminated against is going to PAY to play the game that discriminated against them, and that maybe that discrimination is counterproductive to the goal that EA has, saving the game by getting more premium players!

G

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

I am so sick of the prejudice against free players. Prejudice in general, really, but specifically here against the free players. Not one person who harps on free players as a group stops to realize that nobody that feels discriminated against is going to PAY to play the game that discriminated against them, and that maybe that discrimination is counterproductive to the goal that EA has, saving the game by getting more premium players!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one *applause*

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one *applause*

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the free players either. Have met some very nice people that way.
The not so nice ones are given a free etiquette lesson.

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please, get off your high horse. The concerns that people have about free players are valid. Saying people are prejudice against free players is ridiculous. Obviously for the people that don't own a skill or money house in EA free players are NOT an advantage to them. It isn't discrimination. If a solution isn't found then the houses that are tired of the free players coming in and eating and disrupting their house will close. How is that helping new players evaluate the game? Don't devalue other peoples concerns without coming up with a valid solution.

I

imported_Qute Pi

First, I wouldn't consider this complaining as much as I would venting. And I think that is ok because you are going through something that could happen to any one of us. We should be aware what we are getting into when we decide to open a property. You have given me a view of the welcome property life.

I think a lot of ppl have given good suggestions as well.
Its up to you on if you want to run a property, maybe you just need to "tweek" the way you do things.?.

I'm actually some what inspired to try and open a welcome lot.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Sometimes we just need a break.

As for free players or not, how do you know they are free? There are premium noobs too aren't there?

G

<blockquote><hr>

The concerns that people have about free players are valid. Saying people are prejudice against free players is ridiculous. Obviously for the people that don't own a skill or money house in EA free players are NOT an advantage to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If free accounts turn into paid accounts, they will be an advantage to everyone.

<blockquote><hr>

It isn't discrimination. If a solution isn't found then the houses that are tired of the free players coming in and eating and disrupting their house will close. How is that helping new players evaluate the game? Don't devalue other peoples concerns without coming up with a valid solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds pretty discrminatory to me. Not every free player is in game to freeload and disrupt people's games.

Some are genuinely interested in evaluating the game and whether they would like to stick around, subcribe and become a long term player.

I have no doubt there are some really annoying new players in game, I've come across a few myself - whether they are on a free account or a premium account is by the by when they are the most irritating player to ever land on a lot.
A little less generalising about "free players" as some new plague in game that should be avoided at all costs, might actually help one of two of them to feel welcome and want to stick around.

If someone can't afford to/doesn't want to feed other players for free, there is a very simple solution and the tools are within the game to allow it - charge for it.

Polly

D

DGLita

oooo i want a house full of free players! Think what fun you could have. what sort of house have you got

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I guess I'm too easily entertained. I only cook when I feel like it. Sometimes I attempt to communicate with non-english speaking players. Other times I just offer them phrases to translate to keep them busy like..."Turkey your shoulders after you reset the bathroom". I have installed only toilets that are hidden in stalls and find it funny when they can't seem to find a toilet. Birthday cakes are a great disctraction. They will eat tons of cake. If you are at your wits end you can always set up a buffet and charge $2 a plate. That seems to run them off pretty fast. One of my roomies is a froob hunter and shoots them with his cannon. I guess I don't mind living in a services house. There are alot of free accounts that are fun and interesting to talk to and meet.

When all else fails...you leave home and go visit a skill or money house to escape the madness. Oh I have a day job too. Working in the factory always gets me outa the house.

G

Did you try using Boot feature for the ones who didn't respect your home? I would give then a warning such as if they leave the plates all over, boot them, when they come back in, let them be until the next infraction then boot again and so on and so on. Even if they don't speak english eventually they will get the hint, that if they respect the house they stay if not they go. That may teach them to respect and the language barrier won't be an issue at that point. Just my thoughts

G

I just wanted to remind everyone of the facts lol

TC3 you are right is meant for testing

EA Land has become our home and we are fighting for the rights as paid subscribers (just want you all to understand that I realize that)

Free players are our ticket to longevity to the game

Do we want to see the game we love gone forever because there arent enough of us playing.

Put up with them for now maybe when they have enough paying customers they will suspend free accts just an idea lol

take care everyone I love the game and dont want to see it go under so lets fight for our game!!

Raven Midnight

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am so sick of the prejudice against free players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand both "sides" here since I'm also one who advocates treating everyone equal, treating the new players well, giving them a positive experience.
But I too had to close my house today. I just couldn't take it any more.

However it can well happen that while being nice to people, they take a liking to you, and come and hang out in your house constantly.
I find it very hard to boot and ban people, especially if they haven't done anything purposely wrong.

But when they walk around for hours and hours and talk in foreign languages, do bad social on your pets, want food, ask for the 1001:th time if they can be roomie and for the 1001:th time you say no, sorry not looking right now...

Not all new players are like that, but those who are, can sure wear you out.
Suppose we have to toughen up and give them the boot and ban treatment if they are so childish that it becomes unbearable.
Myself I opted for closing the house since I didn't want to boot and ban.

I also had some very nice new / free players in the house today so I'm absolutely not saying that they are all small annoying children, but let's face it, a game that requires no credit card and has an easy sign up, will attract the small children.

In my opinion a lot of this might be fixed if EA required all new players to <font color="red">fill in credit card details.</font>

Children under 13 aren't supposed to be playing anyway.

R

redsimmy

I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I have an 'avatar' with a welcome house and it can get really frustrating. I think that's why I can't find any roomies for it. lol.

I wouldn't mind if when people asked for food, they'd actually eat it. What I don't like is when someone asks for food, and you make it... then they poof. It's such a waste of money.

I think it's a lot of young players doing that though. And these young players don't know the first thing about (EA Land) game etiquette. Most have probably come from battling orcs and jedi's, so the idea of cleaning a plate is something entirely new and strange to them.

As for the non-english speaking visitors... not sure what to do there, I've met a few myself.
There should be more welcome houses that speak different languages. How cool would that be? a Spanish Hacienda, an Italian Villa, a German Haus, a Japanese pagoda...

Changing to a money or skill house is difficult in other ways. My main avatar is 1900+ days and has a skill house... again with no roomies. Most likely because I can't get it on 'the list' for anyone to see. I don't recommend that move.

A city especially for free players would definately be cool for everybody. TC3 shouldn't be it though. Maybe a city called 'Freedom?'

D

DGLita

I never ask my visitors to clean plates, thats what I pay the maid for. It gives her something to do instead of scratching her ass all day. I just move the plates into an empty upstairs room.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand both "sides" here since I'm also one who advocates treating everyone equal, treating the new players well, giving them a positive experience.

However it can well happen that while being nice to people, they take a liking to you, and come and hang out in your house constantly.
I find it very hard to boot and ban people, especially if they haven't done anything purposely wrong.

But when they walk around for hours and hours and talk in foreign languages, do bad social on your pets, want food, ask for the 1001:th time if they can be roomie and for the 1001:th time you say no, sorry not looking right now...

Suppose we have to toughen up and give them the boot and ban treatment if they are so childish that it becomes unbearable.

I also had some very nice new / free players in the house today so I'm absolutely not saying that they are all small annoying children, but let's face it, a game that requires no credit card and has an easy sign up, will attract the small children.

In my opinion a lot of this might be fixed if EA required all new players to <font color="red">fill in credit card details.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

But not all adults have credit cards either, and some (like myself) don't even have debit cards that connect to their bank with a Visa/MC logo, so that's not gonna help either, that will only lock those players out. I am fortunate to have a debit card attached to my paypal account, but that option isn't available to non-US citizens.

As for players constantly speaking foreign languages, I understand it can get frustrating, but how would you feel if you as an American player were asked only to speak Russian when in certain houses? I have boycotted a house in TC3 recently because they have "SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY HERE" on their house bio. I went in thinking that they meant that their roomies only spoke English, but proceeded to watch them boot and ban two people who were having a conversation in a foreign language. Now, I do think that foreign players should *try* to learn a little bit of English since that is the predominant language of the game, however asking them NOT to speak their native tongue is just not right, IMO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But not all adults have credit cards either, and some (like myself) don't even have debit cards that connect to their bank with a Visa/MC logo, so that's not gonna help either, that will only lock those players out. I am fortunate to have a debit card attached to my paypal account, but that option isn't available to non-US citizens.

As for players constantly speaking foreign languages, I understand it can get frustrating, but how would you feel if you as an American player were asked only to speak Russian when in certain houses? I have boycotted a house in TC3 recently because they have "SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY HERE" on their house bio. I went in thinking that they meant that their roomies only spoke English, but proceeded to watch them boot and ban two people who were having a conversation in a foreign language. Now, I do think that foreign players should *try* to learn a little bit of English since that is the predominant language of the game, however asking them NOT to speak their native tongue is just not right, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a foreign language teacher, I pretty much hate it when anyone get's PO'ed that anyone DARE know another language other than English. Seriously people, Americans aren't the only people who live on this planet or play this game. Get a grip.

I realize that English is the language spoken by most who play the game (or at least that is how it appears), but there was nothing in the fine print that I read when I signed up my account that said English was a pre-requisite to play.

Wouldn't you be a better global citizen if maybe *you* asked to learn a few words in their language? Making an effort to learn *their* language would NOT be telling them you think they shouldn't learn English. Rather, you'd be showing them that you are interested in them, and they in turn, will most likely be prompted to reciprocate that level of interest.

As the old saying goes, you don't draw flies with vinegar.

G

I think there is a readjustment of perception needed here; giving stuff away to free accounts is maybe not going to work in an evironment that wants to be a real cash economy unless you want to do that. Nor is imgainary jobs giving you money, selling imaginary pizzas or jams. The subscription fee is too low to be of any use given the quaility of rival products, the ones playing free and paying in more than most subbies accounts via the atm to buy a retail value piano are of much more interest to EA in the long run. Inflation and currency devalution are the name of the game.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Ok I'm tagging on the end and not really responding to anyone in particular.

I really have nothing against free players at all. Those that treat me and my home with respect get treated the same way. The same goes for non-english speaking players. However, I do not cater to the needs of anyone that just drops by and yells for food no matter what age, subscription status or what language they speak. Perhaps some of you enjoy waiting hand and foot on anyone that knocks on your door. That's not how I live in real life or in the game.

When I get hungry, I make food for everyone visiting. When asked a question I answer. When treated rudely by a visitor, I have no trouble giving it right back to them.

G

ok..

1. happy birthday Izzy!! you have a cake by your name

2. send any french speakers my way, I LOVE to practice

3. I'm in TC3 right now, went to the 1 open welcome house and met 1 newbie. where are all these newbies hanging out? I'm not a good newbie stalker apparently.

edit:
4. how can you tell if someone has a free account? especially if they aren't talking?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please, get off your high horse. The concerns that people have about free players are valid. Saying people are prejudice against free players is ridiculous. Obviously for the people that don't own a skill or money house in EA free players are NOT an advantage to them. It isn't discrimination. If a solution isn't found then the houses that are tired of the free players coming in and eating and disrupting their house will close. How is that helping new players evaluate the game? Don't devalue other peoples concerns without coming up with a valid solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
The concerns that people have about disruptive people *in general* are valid, but that is true whether the player is a free player or a premium, and I've seen griefers of both types. That's WHY we have b/b/i system in game, so that you do not have to tolerate crap like that. There's no way to differentiate a free player from a premium player (which is a good thing or some house owners would check profiles as people land and immediately boot free players before they even have a chance to cause trouble) so not even presuming somebody is a kid has to mean they are a free player. Having been reading the boards a long time, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of players who now admit that they started playing this game when they were 10, 11 or 12 years old because NOW they are old enough that they can't be kicked from the game based on age, so I'm not convinced that requiring cc info WOULD significantly cut down on the issue, because obviously parents do give their young kids permission to play. It's not me being on my high horse to say that players, ALL players, should be evaluated on a case by case basis and booted if they are troublemakers without holding it against the rest of the category that they fall into, whether its a class of free players or a class of 12 year olds, or whatever.

As for a solution, I gave one. We have an unlimited ban list. If a player comes in making a nuisance of themselves, boot and ban them. But DON'T do it without cause!

G

Just hitting reply.

<blockquote><hr>

Perhaps some day, the dev's will let us copy and paste from the chat window and we could use AltaVista.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes longer to learn a language than to find roomies who know a different language. Sure, its a good idea for the long run, but not for the short.

An in-game translator would be a great idea though! I can only imagine the what the coding would be for that *cringe*. But yeah, cutting and pasting would help greatly.

<blockquote><hr>

Why should free players even be in tc when they don't know what they are doing to test and have no incentive to post bugs and such. Say, why have free accounts at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

To have enough people to stress test the new code on the servers, including connections from other countries. What causes lag in Chile doesn't necessarily cause lag in New York and vice versa.

<blockquote><hr>

Being a foreign language teacher, I pretty much hate it when anyone get's PO'ed that anyone DARE know another language other than English. Seriously people, Americans aren't the only people who live on this planet or play this game. Get a grip.

I realize that English is the language spoken by most who play the game (or at least that is how it appears), but there was nothing in the fine print that I read when I signed up my account that said English was a pre-requisite to play.

Wouldn't you be a better global citizen if maybe *you* asked to learn a few words in their language? Making an effort to learn *their* language would NOT be telling them you think they shouldn't learn English. Rather, you'd be showing them that you are interested in them, and they in turn, will most likely be prompted to reciprocate that level of interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

*applauds Rafficat*

I don't normally say much on this board, but having been at the sharp end of discrimination and prejudice all my life, this really touches a raw nerve.

For others on this thread:

I've personally witnessed utter rudeness mainly against Vietnamese and Portugese players by some home owners. A skill house I loved to go to, popped up an "English Only" notice on their property description after treating these players rudely, not realizing they were talking to each other and telling the newbies how to play. Its not hard to find biligual and multilingual roomies, not if you're willing to put in a little effort. Isn't this game supposed to be about "building community"? How does segregating/banning/booting the non-english speaking population "build community"?

And since the OP played the "foreign player card" by saying "who don't even speak english": If you don't want foreign players on your property, then put "English Players Only" in your prop description. Go to an online translator and translate that phrase into several languages so these so-called "free" foreign players (I'm still confused how you know all know they are free and not premium) will know they aren't welcome.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Free players don't count toward visitor hours in TC3 either. Is that what this game is all about? Catering only to those who give you an advantage? What about playing the game just to play game? How about moving the game forward in development? Doesn't fall under "prejudice"? Look up the word. It means "1. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable. 2. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group. 3. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason." We're all guilty of it one way or another.

By saying "Obviously for the people that don't own a skill or money house in EA free players are NOT an advantage to them." is pure discrimination. That's saying they'll welcome the guy with the Beamer (preimium player) but not the guy with the Pinto (free player) because the guy with the Beamer obviously has more money to spend (gives them advantages). But the kicker is, the guy with the Beamer leaves a mess and no tips, when the guy with the Pinto was actually willing to give you what little he had once he figured out how to play the game. No offense to those who own Pintos.

How is THAT helping new players evaluate the game? Besides telling them its not worth paying for and definitely not worth playing.

Well, there goes the game, the Devs tried, but the callous and elitist attitudes from the players killed it. See you in SL or There.

If they are truly being disruptive (by which case you would need to define what YOU consider "disruptive") then by all means, boot and ban them. But to boot or ban someone merely for not picking up plates, speaking a different language, not tipping, not saying hello back to you, for being a FREE player, is purely childish.

If houses close because they are tired of free players, then so be it, it'll open the doors for friendlier houses, houses run by people who realize its just a game and just want to have fun. Valid solutions are easy, charge for food, charge for entering the property, charge for using the bathroom, heck put up a charging door to every area of your house, and put in your property description that free players are not welcomed there. That will deter some of them but then most will just start saying they are premium. Or set your property to Admit List only and have people message you before you let them in. There's only one way for you to know if a player is free or not in EA Land, tell them to meet you at a Money or Skill house. But then if you're at that point, it means you're taking the game way too seriously.

G

Damn, you're not in game....I just re-logged in with a sim that had worship to come worship you. LOL. So instead *leads sitting ovation!!!!*

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a short reply,
I don't think it's only americans.

I think people in general find it a little rude to speak "over other people's heads" in a language nobody else understands.

We're swedish and played for years, and we always switch to IM:s when we're in someone elses house or people come to our house. Guests will poof very quickly when everyone speaks a foreign language in the house chat.

I extend the same courtesy when speaking with my mum in finnish, if there is a swedish person present of course we switch to the language everyone can understand.

Same thing on wow, even though we are on a european server with players from all over europe, and almost nobody has english as their first language (except the british), people still get annoyed when there are foreign languages in general chat.
It's just considered a little rude to speak "over people's heads".

N

Natedawg26

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes longer to learn a language than to find roomies who know a different language. Sure, its a good idea for the long run, but not for the short.

An in-game translator would be a great idea though! I can only imagine the what the coding would be for that *cringe*. But yeah, cutting and pasting would help greatly.

<blockquote><hr>

Why should free players even be in tc when they don't know what they are doing to test and have no incentive to post bugs and such. Say, why have free accounts at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

To have enough people to stress test the new code on the servers, including connections from other countries. What causes lag in Chile doesn't necessarily cause lag in New York and vice versa.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*applauds Rafficat*

I don't normally say much on this board, but having been at the sharp end of discrimination and prejudice all my life, this really touches a raw nerve.

For others on this thread:

I've personally witnessed utter rudeness mainly against Vietnamese and Portugese players by some home owners. A skill house I loved to go to, popped up an "English Only" notice on their property description after treating these players rudely, not realizing they were talking to each other and telling the newbies how to play. Its not hard to find biligual and multilingual roomies, not if you're willing to put in a little effort. Isn't this game supposed to be about "building community"? How does segregating/banning/booting the non-english speaking population "build community"?

And since the OP played the "foreign player card" by saying "who don't even speak english": If you don't want foreign players on your property, then put "English Players Only" in your prop description. Go to an online translator and translate that phrase into several languages so these so-called "free" foreign players (I'm still confused how you know all know they are free and not premium) will know they aren't welcome.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Free players don't count toward visitor hours in TC3 either. Is that what this game is all about? Catering only to those who give you an advantage? What about playing the game just to play game? How about moving the game forward in development? Doesn't fall under "prejudice"? Look up the word. It means "1. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable. 2. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group. 3. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason." We're all guilty of it one way or another.

By saying "Obviously for the people that don't own a skill or money house in EA free players are NOT an advantage to them." is pure discrimination. That's saying they'll welcome the guy with the Beamer (preimium player) but not the guy with the Pinto (free player) because the guy with the Beamer obviously has more money to spend (gives them advantages). But the kicker is, the guy with the Beamer leaves a mess and no tips, when the guy with the Pinto was actually willing to give you what little he had once he figured out how to play the game. No offense to those who own Pintos.

How is THAT helping new players evaluate the game? Besides telling them its not worth paying for and definitely not worth playing.

Well, there goes the game, the Devs tried, but the callous and elitist attitudes from the players killed it. See you in SL or There.

If they are truly being disruptive (by which case you would need to define what YOU consider "disruptive") then by all means, boot and ban them. But to boot or ban someone merely for not picking up plates, speaking a different language, not tipping, not saying hello back to you, for being a FREE player, is purely childish.

If houses close because they are tired of free players, then so be it, it'll open the doors for friendlier houses, houses run by people who realize its just a game and just want to have fun. Valid solutions are easy, charge for food, charge for entering the property, charge for using the bathroom, heck put up a charging door to every area of your house, and put in your property description that free players are not welcomed there. That will deter some of them but then most will just start saying they are premium. Or set your property to Admit List only and have people message you before you let them in. There's only one way for you to know if a player is free or not in EA Land, tell them to meet you at a Money or Skill house. But then if you're at that point, it means you're taking the game way too seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldnt have said it better myself...had a few azzhole people come to my house eat food leave plates everywhere then leave all together but one thing ive been wondering all this time is...wouldnt this happen regardless of free accounts? ive ran both welcome and skill houses for years so i know this happens all the time....how the hell would you know its a free account anyway? couldnt it be someone just trying to "F" with you? people do that ya know lol so honestly i think its good for the game and the people that actually wanna learn...i mean really if everything was "perfect" why would you even come and play? it would be sooo boring without at least a little entertainment...come on guys learn to laugh

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a short reply,
I don't think it's only americans.

I think people in general find it a little rude to speak "over other people's heads" in a language nobody else understands.

We're swedish and played for years, and we always switch to IM:s when we're in someone elses house or people come to our house. Guests will poof very quickly when everyone speaks a foreign language in the house chat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree that there is a sort of courtesy involved when you are someone who speaks more than one language, and you have had the benefit of being in an enviornment where one of your languages is not in the majority.

For example, I grew up in a home in which Japanese and English were spoken. When friends came over, however, we shelved the Japanese so that my English-speaking friends did not feel left out.

I'll say, though, that unless you have the experience of growing up/living in a multi-lingual environment, this may not be "common sense."

And, if you don't speak English and on top of it are new to the game, you can't switch to any other language, and you may not yet have learned how to talk in box with one person instead of talking in room chat.

I dunno, it's never bothered me though. I like reading stuff in other languages and trying to figure out what's being said ... I think it's fun. *shrugs*

It's also never bothered me to have people speak in other languages around me. Again, I think it's a matter of what you are accustomed to. Some of these multi-lingual related courtesies are unique to those of us who have lived in that environment. Not everyone has.

S

SugarCane

Predjudice? Racist? Don't go overboard, folks, please! I am not even American myself - but I speak English - also German and have some understanding of French and Spanish.

And yes; you can see who the free players are - don't take much. They usually come with 0 days, 0 skills and 0 ebucks (or whatever.) And no; I am not talking about 'all of them' - there have been those who speak, who are curteous and clean up after themselves - I am not speaking about them. I am speaking about the 85 % rude or simply 'ignorant of the game' people, who leave a mess, don't respond to anything - give negative energy and so on - and I am afraid I do mean 85 %.

But yes - I do simply boot now - and it's effective.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And yes; you can see who the free players are - don't take much. They usually come with 0 days, 0 skills and 0 ebucks (or whatever.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Hmm, I have a paid account, just created a new character in the third slot. She has 0 days, 0 money and 0 skills. I guess I'm a free player now.

Note: you can't see someone's entitlement days on their profiles, unless they put it IN their profile, you can only see your own.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Predjudice? Racist? Don't go overboard, folks, please! I am not even American myself - but I speak English - also German and have some understanding of French and Spanish.

And yes; you can see who the free players are - don't take much. They usually come with 0 days, 0 skills and 0 ebucks (or whatever.) And no; I am not talking about 'all of them' - there have been those who speak, who are curteous and clean up after themselves - I am not speaking about them. I am speaking about the 85 % rude or simply 'ignorant of the game' people, who leave a mess, don't respond to anything - give negative energy and so on - and I am afraid I do mean 85 %.

But yes - I do simply boot now - and it's effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the nice things about this game is that you can choose who you want to play with.

If I were in your shoes, I would be tempted to build a moat/wall/fence/hedge and put in a two person door in the gap, just to see if the person at the other end of the computer would ever realize that it was going to take interaction - and nice interaction, to get them in to your property.

S

SugarCane

Yes, of course there are 'new players' - who are also subscribers - and they usually know a little something about the game - they usually also speak when talked to - like I said; a free player is not hard to spot.

S

SugarCane

<blockquote><hr>

One of the nice things about this game is that you can choose who you want to play with.

If I were in your shoes, I would be tempted to build a moat/wall/fence/hedge and put in a two person door in the gap, just to see if the person at the other end of the computer would ever realize that it was going to take interaction - and nice interaction, to get them in to your property.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... good idea. Anyways - I am okay now - I simply boot those who don't act right or close house when I am too tired of it altogether - I just had had it up to wherever the day I posted the first post, 'cause they just came in droves and it was getting a bit too much.

G

Yep, loved your post.

I have a number of new avatars I have dreaded to set out in EA Land Or TC3 for fear they would have to suffer the reaction of house owners with preconceived attitudes about the 0 money, 0 skills, 0 days etc. Mine now have days but still no skills.

The one "new" avatar I have used was booted and banned twice before she could say "hi
" on landing lol. What a shock that was. I now have skills on her but I am still leery of playing with the others.
The few that had Founders on them had no problems but I have 1 account that does not, looks as if I just have to take my chances.

It never used to be that way. We used to hunt the new players down to welcome them and help them out. It was great fun to find someone who spoke another language and learn some new, lol ,words
. Not any more.

Me personally, I treat every one the same until they prove themselves a nuisance, then I boot. I think it is actions not accounts or language in game that proves that persons worth. Until then I treat all with respect and consideration. If at times it all gets to be too much then I skill or make money and let a roomie take over for me for awhile. There are alternatives.
We need to find them IMO.

G

OMG, you had me cheering in my chair. Thank you soooo much for posting I dearly love to hear the positive more than the negative. It makes the heart expand and rejoice.

Yes....there are alternatives. Yes....there is another way to look at these issues. Yes.....the options are limitless.

Thank you for your opinion, it was great.