• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] I feel ambushed by the Fish Monger quests

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Why can't we see in advance what quest is being offered? I hate taking blind quests not knowing if it is something I want to do or not. Right now I am on the blue crab quest. One thing I know about them is I am not taking another of these quests. I started it this morning about 7AM and finally at 4PM logged off in disgust.
I made a whole point in fishing from 100 to 101.0 trying to do this quest. I think I have 7 to show for today's efforts. I have been saving any named lobster or crab I get in the trap for the next quest offering.
I didn't want to refuse a quest but when I got one for lava fishing I just recalled to the house and the quest disappeared. I hope it wasn't labeled as a refusal.
These quest could sure use some help from the Devs.

Wondered if there were any fishing houses for exchange of lobsters or crabs on GL?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I wish I could answer your question about exchanges. And I totally empathize with your frustrations. I gave up doing fishing quests so long ago, I can't remember the last time I did one. Just seemed like one heck of a big time investment for insufficient rewards. Hopefully, someone else may be able to offer you helpful advice.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sucks. I gave up on them long ago and ended up just eating SOT's to get to 120 fishing.

Now I only use the fishing skill when our guild is trying to summon a Scalis.

I was really excited about the new loot revamp and hoping it might be better loot for SOS. How let down I was.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I wonder if this Fall we will see any improvement in this area? All I can do is hope it will get some attention.
I went back to my t hunter this morning just not able to get in the trapping mood.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I haven't seen anything recently to indicate they're currently working on it, unless I missed some announcements. If they ever get around to making being a fisher fun again -- and I don't mean tougher monsters -- I might return to it with renewed enthusiasm.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure what is so difficult about "crabbing". Try this method: Get 150 traps. Get on a ship. Command slow forward. Put the traps out in one long line. Wait 10 minutes. Pick up all the traps that haven't sunk. You will end up with A LOT of crabs and lobsters both named and otherwise. You will lose about half the traps. The 75 or so that you get back will average around 2 "named" per trap. I can't help on GL but I sell all fish, crabs, and lobs on LS.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got screwed on this quest system a couple months ago....... went from pulling 5 piece quest to singles.... I have yet to deed up all my fish but I feel that my fishing days are numbered!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There was a bug, dunno if it was ever fixed, that screwed up your quest sizes around the time you can start catching dungeon fish. And, possibly can recur at a later date.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I got hit by a bug, thats fine and well.... sort of I guess. But to have my request for answers fall on deaf ears ie.. no response from emails I have sent is what really chapped my ass. Even a simple "I dont know we will look into it" response would have been great! Just goes to show what 17+ years of loyalty is worth.

This morning I finally broke down and started deeding up all my fish.. God help the great players of LS if I decide to dump them all on the Luna mint floor.. It will smell for weeks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Way back at the 15th anniversary party (that I attended in person - the IDOC Castle cake was hilarious), I mentioned it to the staff.

I THINK what were hypothesizing is that the bug at any point other than the addition of the new fish types, was probably something glitching. Essentially, something probably caused a quest to have a +/- 64k value, which either caused an overflow error, or wiped out all existing quest points. The problem was that it was so uncommon an error, and from an unknown source, that it would have been hard, if not impossible, to find through testing (if you set something up just to run massive amounts of iterations through the system, you're probably bypassing all or part of what's causing the glitch in the first place).

Such a compound error would be like having something run over so often, but tests show no error, because what's adding the extra amount in is outside the software, but accidentally sticking something in the space being used to cause the overflow.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That doesn't sound like something that's ever likely to be fixed.

I no longer spend much time on it anyway. I usually fall asleep at the computer when I'm fishing... until a sea serpent wakes me or until I accidently collide with a pirate ship and get attacked by orcs.