• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I fail to understand why EMs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason88

To anyone that was at tonight's event or any other event,

I really fail to understand why EVENT items are given out in the way that they are. The rare event items should be given out in the way that TANGLES are given out. Anyone that does enough damage to the monster/spawn should have the EVENT item randomly dropped into their backpack.

I was at the event tonight that took about 2 hours from start to finish. I actually had looting rights on every single spawn. However, I could not get to the corpse due to the amount of people and dragons covering the corpse. "ALL NAMES" fails to work as well due to there being SO MANY corpses.

However, I had a guild mate that got THREE of the tunics all by going around and looting the corpses once they turned public. Do the math? This person can probably sell each tunic from 150-200 million, making about 600 million gold on items that WERE NOT even supposed to go to him. ALL of the tunics that he received were from looting public corpses. I think this is a joke. In fact, DOZENS AND DOZENS of people do. The only people that seem to disagree are the same people that are getting rich off these events, exploiting what is really a dumb process. Instead of these items being ENJOYED in Ultima Online, they are sold instantly for hundreds of millions.

The sad part is that it really is an easy fix. Most of the nonsense that goes on at events is. EMs could easily put a toggle on every char that was there at the start of the event so that only those people would only have a chance at the items/monsters. I saw guilds GATING people into the event tonight only after we got back to the castle and the monsters started to spawn. However, thats fair for the people that participated for 2 hours running all the way from Brit swamp killing orcs? EMs could also make it so if you did enough damage that the items would be placed into your bag RATHER than going onto the corpses. And people should really never complain about not doing enough damage....I used a pvp composite bow and was able to loot every spawn.

I really hope UO and EMs come to their senses and can correct EVENTS so they are much more enjoyable to the Ultima Online community.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off, this thread sickens me. One of the tunics I am keeping, another is going to a guildie on the cheap, and the third is being donated to a museum.

End thread.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Almost everyone agrees that event items should fall into your bag as does a tangle when fighting Narvey. I am only posting about what countless UO members say that they "wish to see"
I'm pretty sure bag drops are beyond the power of an EM... Therefore, what people "wish to see" wouldn't be possible.

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really fail to understand why EVENT items are given out in the way that they are.
Because it is random, it removes the perception of favoritism, and puts all players on equal footing.

The monsters last night were given 'bases' of at least 5 different mob types to give a bit of variety on the ability of various classes to damage them, thereby making it an equal playing field.

Anyone that does enough damage to the monster/spawn should have the EVENT item randomly dropped into their backpack.
Often Suggested but not possible. Such an addition would require an entire revamp of the EM system and require an amazing amount of DEV time... on an issue that can be solved in other ways. I would also argue that this would only compound the issue of 'laziness' at events. But that is just my opinion.

It is much more enjoyable for players and for myself when players interact, explore and follow the story going on. Not just blindly jump through gates and randomly target mobs.

However, I could not get to the corpse due to the amount of people and dragons covering the corpse. "ALL NAMES" fails to work as well due to there being SO MANY corpses.
Use CTRL-SHIFT and you can then right click the boxes that show up to close them individually and access the item/corpse/monster you are looking to target or double click or grab.

However, I had a guild mate that got THREE of the tunics all by going around and looting the corpses once they turned public.
Sounds like a smart guy, if he was able to access the corpse after it was public and loot a quest reward, you or anyone else could have done the same.

The sad part is that it really is an easy fix.
Is it? Really? Are you sure? Easy is such a relative word...

EMs could easily put a toggle on every char that was there at the start of the event so that only those people would only have a chance at the items/monsters.
There is that word again, "Easy"... Do you have any idea how long it would take to input a command and target 150 to 200 players just to start an event?

It is just not possible or feasible for me to do what you are suggesting here.

If what you are doing isn't working to your satisfaction but is working for everyone else, you should change what you are doing... not demand that the system change.

:stretcher:

S

soulstoner

Because it is random, it removes the perception of favoritism, and puts all players on equal footing.

The monsters last night were given 'bases' of at least 5 different mob types to give a bit of variety on the ability of various classes to damage them, thereby making it an equal playing field.
:stretcher:
Nice thorough response and all in all seemed a nicely done event. I didn't have a killing char to get a prize & am A-OK with that - I didn't try. I thought it was fun, was a decent turn out & enjoyed running with the bulls. :thumbup1:

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The EM system is a breakthrough concept. I go to a lot of them and very rarely get an item. It is sometimes disappointing not to get anything but you can't let it focus you into frustration.

During that "2 hours running all the way from Brit swamp killing orcs" did you happen to notice an EM interacting with the masses? Did you happen to notice a story line unfolding before your very eyes? Did you even think for a minute how unique that is to UO? To allow someone to personalize your shard's history and realize you were experiencing something specific to your actions. How clever it is that sometimes EM's weave global fiction into their shard from their own mind's eye? Do you try to comprehend how much time the EM spent organizing and writing fiction, constructing and environment, testing it, co-ordinating with Mesanna to make it all happen and putting up with rude comments during the event as well defending themselves here on the boards?

You did get a prize my friend. We all did that were there. Just wake up and realize it. The items are a bonus. If you had gotten one I doubt I would have seen an "I got something but no one else did and that isn't fair to them" post here from you. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen one of those.

And how did you know you had looting rights if you couldn't get to the corpse?

J

Jason88

Gheed,

This didn't have anything to do with myself getting an item. I have more than enough gold and plus some to buy any event item that I find to be unique or want. I knew that I had looting rights because you only have to do a certain amount of damage to get the looting rights. I was able to get to SOME of the corpses, just not all of them. I was looking at interest of others, not myself when I talked about items going into bags. As the EM stated above, very often desired/recommended but not possible for him to do. But when 10 or 15 items are handed out at an event, and I look at the awesome turn out of about 100 people+...and one person gets 3 or 4 of those items, I can't help but ask questions about the items/event. You yourself said that you often go to all of the events and rarely get items. That was exactly my point. I understand the EMs have an incredibly hard job as I stated above. I would not want their job, having to put up with so much immaturity at the events. You also have to understand that not everyone is there for the role playing. Some people are there for the role playing, some for the items, some just to play with friends, and others to fight spawn. So yes, I can imagine how long it takes to write the fiction, construct the environment, etc but remember not everyone is there for that. I was walking next to the EM interacting the entire time, even though I personally just show up at EVENTS to fight monsters or spawn that you can not find anywhere else in UO. Just know that there are people that are able to go to these events and get items every time. I have guildies, friends, etc that can make an insane amount of real life $$ off UO...most of their gold supply they are selling comes from EVENT items or EVENTS. I would much rather see items SPLIT up and enjoyed with people that play UO than the same people getting them every event only to sell them and make $$.

But hey, it is what it is.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's keep this thread on topic and avoid all the personal attacks and trolling. Keep this thread constructive or I will lock it. I have ZERO tolerance on the EM discussion forums.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
restroom did nothing wrong, anyone out of the hundred people here could have looted the bodies, whether people keep or sell their items what does it matter, he didnt do anything illegal

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jason, thank you for your second reply :)

I applaud you for coming out last night, but I do not want you to walk away from it thinking 'This is how events are on Atlantic' either. From a personal POV last nights event was not a typical representation of how we do things on Atlantic.

Last night was simply the last of the 'loose ends' from the past year being tied up and gave the last bit of closure for all of the current plot lines that have happened.

With our newest EM Promethium taking his seat as my new partner I wanted to make sure we start fresh from a fiction and content perspective.

I invite you and anyone else to come to events on Atlantic any time you'd like. Come, have fun and participate in the content. It continues to amaze me how much things change when I stop giving items for a while... and then start back up.

Just a question, we had over 150 people last night for an event that I expected no more than 60 people... does anyone have any idea as to the reason behind this sudden increase in participation? I have not been able to put my finger on what causes one event to have 50 people, and another 200 people... when they are done at the same time slot.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Bennu for responding, and I hope you enjoy your time off. Your response made me feel better, as I was starting to feel like I did something wrong.

Anyhoot...I was just as surprised as anyone to pick up three, but in the spirit of the events I am not interested in gold...I am more interested in seeing the items available for all to enjoy.

Cheers everyone, and from the most crabby rares guy in UO...have a great holiday weekend.

Ender76

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a question, we had over 150 people last night for an event that I expected no more than 60 people... does anyone have any idea as to the reason behind this sudden increase in participation? I have not been able to put my finger on what causes one event to have 50 people, and another 200 people... when they are done at the same time slot.
My best guess is a lot of college kids are done for the year already. Could also be players seeing what the Addie painting / doll sells for

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally Posted by Ender76
Could also be players seeing what the Addie painting / doll sells for
100% correct ^^^
Event items dropping into players packs is something I brought up over a year ago & was immediately jumped on in the EM Hall, badmouthed, & called an idiot infront of the EMs and all the players in attendence. The player that verbally attacked me was quick to respond here. This same person also got 4 event item drops from public corpse loot during that event.

I rarely go to events any longer because, in general, I refuse to take part in what I feel is an unfair process that is mainly used by a small group of players to pad their e-banks. Of the few event rares I have gotten, Ive never sold one and all are on display.

Originally Posted by Restroom Cowboy
I was starting to feel like I did something wrong.
No one ever said theres anything wrong with what certain players r doing to get multiple event item drops. I believe some of us have just suggested alternative methods for event item drops which would most definately be MORE FAIR for all players at the events. To me, the fairness of this alternate method is so blantantly obvious that I would question anyones motives who would argue otherwise.

EMs have said this random drop into player's packs method is not possible with current game mechanics.

Originally Posted by EM_Bennu
If what you are doing isn't working to your satisfaction but is working for everyone else, you should change what you are doing... not demand that the system change.
I would suggest that its certainly not working for everyone else considering its common knowledge that multiple event items constantly go to certain players who have mastered the art of camping public corpse loots. I also wouldnt begin to demand anything from UO, however, I would like to think these boards may be used to express opinions which may increase the enjoyment of the game to the gaming community in large rather then a small handful of players.

I believe more players would take part in events if the rewards were more evenly distributed amongst ALL the players involved. There are obviously many that feel this way & in the future mayb the DEVs could look into making this possible. Thanks for your time.

UltimatePower

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not been able to put my finger on what causes one event to have 50 people, and another 200 people... when they are done at the same time slot.
For this event, it was probably because of the stuff you said before the event, this would be the end of this season or arc, or something like that.

Everyone thought there was going to be a reward statue at the end. So they messaged everyone they know, and or got multiple chars.

Just my thoughts on why so many people showed up.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Acid, you are quick to defend people who did not even wish to go to the event in the first place. The entire time I was there I told the OP that *good things come to those who wait* based on constant negativity in vent. I even coached him on how and what to look for when the time was right.

The way I see it, if you don't want to be there...don't go. It makes those of us who enjoy the events have a much better time doing them. If you are only there for the items anyway and not to support the program, no point in being there.

On the flip side, I have attended roughly 40 events this month alone. Only in a small percentage of any of those events did I get an item. In all of them however, I immersed myself in the storyline and did what I could to make the experience more exciting for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.